Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5518395 times)

mmswm

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20805 on: May 02, 2013, 04:35:47 PM »
Am I being an SS?

I hurt my foot last night.  I can't drive because it's my left foot and I drive a stick.  I can barely walk and can't wiggle my toes at all.  I want to go to the doctor but I need somebody to drive me.  My mother said she'd drive me, but all day she's had some excuse or another.  First she wanted to get some housework done, then it was lunch time, then she had a non-critical conference call, and now she's driving somebody to the airport.  The last one I sort of understand.  My cousin's daughter's (let's call her Ana) husband was supposed to be flying in today.  Ana's uncle (other side of the family) went to pick him up.  He couldn't find the husband.  The flight came in okay, but the airline won't release any information over the phone as to whether or not the husband was on the plane.  Ana doesn't have a car. Ana has lots of other friends that could take her, they just don't want to.  I'm quite miffed that I rank this low on my mother's priority list.  With my mother out of the house, my father, who's been violently ill with a bad stomach bug will have to put the three youngest kids in the car, drive me there, drop me off, come home, watch all 4 kids, then come back when I'm done.  Because of the hour, since all sorts of other things were more important earlier in the day, I now have to go to the ER instead of a regular doctor.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #20806 on: May 02, 2013, 04:48:07 PM »
Would calling a cab be an option?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20807 on: May 02, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »
No, you don't qualify as an SS. 

I think your feelings are hurting as much as your foot right now and I don't blame you.  Foot injuries should get priority over housework and even lunch. 

I know it won't make your foot feel better, but are you accepting hugs anyway?  If so ((((  mmswm  ))))

If I were there, I'd drive you.  :(

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #20808 on: May 02, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »
Fun fun elevator times!

We're on vacation in DC, and we've spent quite a bit of time at the Smithsonian museums.  Us and ten thousand of our nation's most exuberant schoolchildren.  Since Bittybartfast is in her stroller, we need to use the elevators.  And since there is obviously nothing of interest in these fantastic museums for schoolchildren to see, a significant number of them entertain themselves by riding the elevators up and down (eschewing the conveniently-placed stairs and escalators), standing around in large groups in front of the elevator doors so no one can get off or on, pushing the emergency call buttons inside the elevators to make the alarms go off and giggling about it, etc.  I have to wonder where they're from, if an elevator is the most exciting thing they can think of to see while on their field trip!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20809 on: May 02, 2013, 05:05:15 PM »
...    I have to wonder where they're from, if an elevator is the most exciting thing they can think of to see while on their field trip!

Perhaps, since these children are obviously without parents or supervisors, we can assume that their fascination must be that they somehow managed to shove the adults down the elevator shaft and are trying to figure out how to get them back out?  ???

mmswm

« Reply #20810 on: May 02, 2013, 05:09:44 PM »
Thanks, Gramma Dishes.  I think you're right and that my silent temper tantrum is because my feelings are hurt.  To the person that asked, and cab is not an option because of funds.  I live out in the middle of nowhere so it would be far to expensive.  If I felt it was urgent enough to spend the money on a cab, I'd call for an ambulance.  My foot needs to be seen by a doctor, but it's not life or death.  I think I'm just being grumpy because of how far down on her priority list I seem to be.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #20811 on: May 02, 2013, 05:34:39 PM »
Thanks, Gramma Dishes.  I think you're right and that my silent temper tantrum is because my feelings are hurt.  To the person that asked, and cab is not an option because of funds.  I live out in the middle of nowhere so it would be far to expensive.  If I felt it was urgent enough to spend the money on a cab, I'd call for an ambulance.  My foot needs to be seen by a doctor, but it's not life or death.  I think I'm just being grumpy because of how far down on her priority list I seem to be.

Well I fully don't blame you.  Housework?!  It can wait!  I, too, would drive you if I were there.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #20812 on: May 02, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »
Am I being an SS?

Good grief, no, mmswm! You're not being snowflakey at all - your mother's priorities seem to be way off. >:( Heck, if you were in my city I'd drive you!

I hope your foot gets better soon!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

mmswm

« Reply #20813 on: May 02, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »
Thanks guys.  Sometimes, when one is dealing with these things, it's hard to separate real snowflakey behavior from the unwarranted insults that get thrown one's way.  I was told I needed to be less selfish when I got upset when my mother left to go get Ana and take her to the airport.  If that had been the only reason she gave today for not taking me, then I wouldn't be so upset.  I'd be a little bit upset, because Ana had other options for getting there, including the bus/train, which at this hour of the day, and considering construction on two of the major highways along the route to the airport, would probably be 30-45 minutes faster than driving anyway.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #20814 on: May 02, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »
Wanting an injury to be taken care of appropriately is far from selfish. And taking care of every little errand you can think of except the one you promised to do first, then calling the person who needed your help selfish for being upset is... well, I can't type that on this board. >:(

...wow, I'm getting pretty angry on your behalf, actually!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #20815 on: May 02, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »
Wanting an injury to be taken care of appropriately is far from selfish. And taking care of every little errand you can think of except the one you promised to do first, then calling the person who needed your help selfish for being upset is... well, I can't type that on this board. >:(

...wow, I'm getting pretty angry on your behalf, actually!
Me, too.  >:(

{{{mmswm}}}}
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #20816 on: May 02, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »
I have to wonder where they're from, if an elevator is the most exciting thing they can think of to see while on their field trip!
I've mentioned before that I volunteer at a small museum where I do programs for schoolchildren. We have an old & creaky elevator that is rarely used, but every program involves riding an escalator. We get a lot of students from very small towns, for whom the escalator is one of the highlights of the visit. If we didn't monitor the escalator ride heavily (and drop serious hints to chaperones), we'd have similar problems.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

andi

« Reply #20817 on: May 02, 2013, 08:16:31 PM »
To all the SS parents at carpool who refuse to follow the "no left turn" signs leaving the front parking lot. Really?  You can't spare the 2 minutes it takes at most (I've timed it with hitting both red lights) to safely turn right and and come back up the access road or go around the block?  You have to be a danger to people trying to correctly turn right by blocking their view, then trying to make an unsafe left run across 3 lanes of traffic?  As well as blocking the right lane by pulling into the middle of the drive so no one turning right can even get out? 

I hate carpool lanes.

Bluenomi

« Reply #20818 on: May 02, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »
I had a SSI'llcrosstheroadwhenIwant the other night. My heart and brakes were both given a good work out. It was dark and out of nowhere they came racing across the road right in front of me. I hponestly thought I'd squashed them until I saw them ducking up a drive way. dingdangity cat, I bets it's got on less life now!

mmswm

« Reply #20819 on: May 02, 2013, 10:06:54 PM »
I had a SSI'llcrosstheroadwhenIwant the other night. My heart and brakes were both given a good work out. It was dark and out of nowhere they came racing across the road right in front of me. I hponestly thought I'd squashed them until I saw them ducking up a drive way. dingdangity cat, I bets it's got on less life now!

I almost squished one of my mother's barn cats a few days ago under similar circumstances. I felt horrible but he darted out of nowhere. The other two cats are orange and a little easier to see at night but Scout is a dark grey tabby. We usually get up to about 45mph in the driveway but thankfully I was going slower than normal or we'd be short a cat.