Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4384719 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20850 on: May 03, 2013, 08:42:06 PM »
I was also thinking it was written by a friend.

Here's another SS and a jerk.  A man with an expired coupon went for ice cream.  When the cashier tried to get payment, he punched her in the face several times.
http://www.longislandpress.com/2013/05/02/valley-stream-man-charged-with-ice-cream-robbery/
He was charged with stealing the ice cream and resisting arrest- why the heck wasn't he charged with assault and battery on the ice cream store employee???

Iris

« Reply #20851 on: May 03, 2013, 09:24:07 PM »

Here's another SS and a jerk.  A man with an expired coupon went for ice cream.  When the cashier tried to get payment, he punched her in the face several times.
http://www.longislandpress.com/2013/05/02/valley-stream-man-charged-with-ice-cream-robbery/

If I'd read that on NotAlwaysRight, I'd have assumed it was made up. *shakes head sadly for the state of humankind*
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Minmom3

« Reply #20852 on: May 03, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »
Thanks guys.  Sometimes, when one is dealing with these things, it's hard to separate real snowflakey behavior from the unwarranted insults that get thrown one's way.  I was told I needed to be less selfish when I got upset when my mother left to go get Ana and take her to the airport.  If that had been the only reason she gave today for not taking me, then I wouldn't be so upset.  I'd be a little bit upset, because Ana had other options for getting there, including the bus/train, which at this hour of the day, and considering construction on two of the major highways along the route to the airport, would probably be 30-45 minutes faster than driving anyway.

You are not alone in your boat.  I - gore alert - abraded a large hole in my hand between the index finger knuckle and the 2nd finger knuckle.  Scarey to see, due to lack of blood. Actually managed to abrade the knuckle bones too, per the ER doctor! I told Mom I needed to go to the ER and get it washed out and stitched.  She said no, she had to go get the cat at the vet.  I said drop me off on the way there, please, I can't ride my bike over there, my hand is damaged and not working well. She didn't want to do that, she'd be late to pick up the cat and be charged more money.  I had to scream at her that I ought to be more important to her than the 'expletive deleted' cat, and would she JUST drop me OFF on the outer edge of the 'expletive deleted' parking lot and I would 'expletive deleted' WALK IN alone.  Got stitched up, and had to use a desk phone to call her to come and get me, because she wasn't willing to wait for me after she picked up the cat because he wouldn't like waiting in the car, nor was she willing to drop him at home and come back and wait for me to be ready to leave the 'expletive deleted' ER.

There were many reasons we were not close after I became an adult, and I NEVER thought I'd say I'm grateful to the dementia that has made her a nicer and easier person to be around! 

MMSWM - I feel your pain!  That's NOT good Momming....
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #20853 on: May 03, 2013, 11:04:59 PM »
Sighting at the supermarket today.

I take my basket of 4 items to the "15 items or less" checkout. In front of me is a cart that obviously has more than 15 things in it. "Gosh," I say cheerfully to the guy with the cart. "That looks like more than 15 items."

I've done that before without a problem. Usually the person says something like "Oops! I didn't see the sign." and moves off. Sometimes the person just glares at me and moves off. I've een ha stotroe clerks thank me, because they are not allowed to say anything. Not this guy.

He starts counting items. "One, two three.." He stops when he gets to 20.  "Oh well, " he says to me. "We won't tell anyone."

"Actually," I replied "You are delaying me."

"But, see, some of these are multiples of the same thing, so they only count as one." (Even though, in this store, the clerk must scan each individual one.)  My stony gaze apparently convinces him that I'm not going to be very understanding, so he turns his attention to the clerk, regaling her with his tale of how this food would be used to provide lunch for a volunteer activity he was coordinating--congratulating himself several times on how he was "giving back to the community."

When it was my turn, the clerk apologized for the delay. I told her I understood that she was probably not allowed to say anything to customers about too many items, and that I hoped maybe my comments got to the guy.

"No," she said. "He does this all the time. He thinks that because he's a regular customer, the policies don't apply to him."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #20854 on: May 03, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »

He was charged with stealing the ice cream and resisting arrest- why the heck wasn't he charged with assault and battery on the ice cream store employee???

She may not have pressed charges.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

snowfire

« Reply #20855 on: May 03, 2013, 11:23:45 PM »
If so, she is more forgiving than I would be.  If someone punched me in the face on the job, pressing assault charges is the LEAST that I would do.  Retail folks are not paid combat pay, they shouldn't have to put up with that kind of carp.

snowdragon

« Reply #20856 on: May 03, 2013, 11:39:02 PM »
She could have been told by her bosses that if she did she'd get fired.

mmswm

« Reply #20857 on: May 03, 2013, 11:41:32 PM »

And then every greedy lawyer in her state would be chasing after her to take her case to court.  I could see a HUGE lawsuit resulting from something like that.

nuit93

« Reply #20858 on: May 04, 2013, 12:06:54 AM »

And then every greedy lawyer in her state would be chasing after her to take her case to court.  I could see a HUGE lawsuit resulting from something like that.

Pretty hard to afford a lawyer on a retail wage.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #20859 on: May 04, 2013, 02:52:12 AM »

Zero wages if she was fired. Lawsuits are a nice thought, but if you are poor and the rent is due you can't afford to lose your job and wait however many months (or years) for the court case to be resolved. Not to mention most employers who do this would lie and say you were fired for something else. Retail can be brutal sometimes.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

exitzero

« Reply #20860 on: May 04, 2013, 07:40:01 AM »
Not sure if this is Special Snowflake, or just Special Stupidity.

In the Boston subways there a few doors that look like this:

http://www.turnstiles.us/pdf/MPT%2052-53%20-%20Tandum.pdf

Except they are really old and pointier. 

Someone decided to today to try to take his bicycle through one. He could have walked another few feet in any direction to stairs, but no, he had to go through there. At rush hour. (You're not supposed to bring bicycles on the train at rush hour anyway, so I'm not sure how he got away with it) When he got through the door, he would have had to bring the bike up an escalator since there were no stairs, which is also against the rules.

The bike was completely and totally jammed into the door.

By the time I got there, there were repairmen taking the door apart.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 07:41:38 AM by exitzero »

mmswm

« Reply #20861 on: May 04, 2013, 07:45:46 AM »

Zero wages if she was fired. Lawsuits are a nice thought, but if you are poor and the rent is due you can't afford to lose your job and wait however many months (or years) for the court case to be resolved. Not to mention most employers who do this would lie and say you were fired for something else. Retail can be brutal sometimes.

True, but there are enough shady lawyers that would take a case like that on contingency, and that's more what I was referring to.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #20862 on: May 04, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
A lot of lawyers will take cases with a good prospect on contingency, specially if the client can't afford to pay cash. It certainly isn't restricted to shady lawyers.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20863 on: May 04, 2013, 09:55:07 AM »
Sighting at the supermarket today.

I take my basket of 4 items to the "15 items or less" checkout. In front of me is a cart that obviously has more than 15 things in it. "Gosh," I say cheerfully to the guy with the cart. "That looks like more than 15 items."

I've done that before without a problem. Usually the person says something like "Oops! I didn't see the sign." and moves off. Sometimes the person just glares at me and moves off. I've een ha stotroe clerks thank me, because they are not allowed to say anything. Not this guy.

He starts counting items. "One, two three.." He stops when he gets to 20.  "Oh well, " he says to me. "We won't tell anyone."

"Actually," I replied "You are delaying me."

"But, see, some of these are multiples of the same thing, so they only count as one." (Even though, in this store, the clerk must scan each individual one.)  My stony gaze apparently convinces him that I'm not going to be very understanding, so he turns his attention to the clerk, regaling her with his tale of how this food would be used to provide lunch for a volunteer activity he was coordinating--congratulating himself several times on how he was "giving back to the community."

When it was my turn, the clerk apologized for the delay. I told her I understood that she was probably not allowed to say anything to customers about too many items, and that I hoped maybe my comments got to the guy.

"No," she said. "He does this all the time. He thinks that because he's a regular customer, the policies don't apply to him."

I'm not sure that saying, "You are delaying me," was appropriate at all.  No one is entitled to get in and out of the grocery store faster than anyone else, no matter how few groceries they have.  There might have been 15 people deep in the 10 items or less lane, after all.  You still have to wait like everybody else.  It's understandable being annoyed at someone thumbing his nose at the store's policy, but that's all he was guilty of.  It could be said that anyone in the store ahead of you in line is "delaying you." 

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #20864 on: May 04, 2013, 10:44:16 AM »
I'm not sure that saying, "You are delaying me," was appropriate at all.  No one is entitled to get in and out of the grocery store faster than anyone else, no matter how few groceries they have.  There might have been 15 people deep in the 10 items or less lane, after all.  You still have to wait like everybody else.  It's understandable being annoyed at someone thumbing his nose at the store's policy, but that's all he was guilty of.  It could be said that anyone in the store ahead of you in line is "delaying you."
It was the first thing that popped out of my mouth. In hindsight, I can think of several better ways I could have better gotten my point across.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data