Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5085830 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20880 on: May 04, 2013, 10:48:15 PM »
^^^  Well, everyone except her!!   :o

She was parked illegally.

Waterlight

« Reply #20881 on: May 05, 2013, 01:50:50 AM »
Saw this story on a social networking site of an SS getting his comeuppance and HAD to share...

"A crowded United Airlines flight was cancelled. A single agent was re-booking a long line of inconvenienced travellers.

"Suddenly, an angry passenger pushed his way to the desk. He slapped his ticket on the counter and said, "I HAVE to be on this flight and it has to be FIRST CLASS."

"The agent replied, "I'm sorry, sir. I'll be happy to try to help you, but I've got to help these folks first; and then I'm sure we'll be able to work something out."

"The passenger was unimpressed. He asked loudly, so that the passengers behind him could hear, "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM?"

"Without hesitating, the agent smiled and grabbed her public address microphone. "May I have your attention, please?", she began, her voice heard clearly throughout the terminal. "We have a passenger here at Gate 14 WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHO HE IS. If anyone can help him with his identity, please come to Gate 14".

"With the folks behind him in line laughing hysterically, the man glared at the United Airlines agent, gritted his teeth, and said, "F*** You!"

"Without flinching, she smiled and said, "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to get in line for that, too."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:11:09 AM by Waterlight »
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

TeamBhakta

« Reply #20882 on: May 05, 2013, 02:53:20 AM »
. . . It's like the little girl who was playing on my front porch:  I told her she wasn't allowed to play there.  "But my mom said it was okay!"  I explained that it was my property, not her mother's, and I didn't want her playing on my porch.  This little girl actually got the message, and it never happened again.
It's possible that her mom did not actually tell her it was okay. Kids have a way of twisting words around.  Once I overheard my SIL in the next room tell her daughter, "If you're going to play ball, you have to go outside, and you have to have an adult with you".  My niece then comes to me and says, "My mom says you have to go outside and play ball with me".   ;D

Reminds me of the time two little girls (2 & 4) asked me for a sample at work. I said "Where's your mom and dad ?" The 4 year old said "Our dad is down there (in aisle just out of my sight line)" I said "Okay, tell him he has to come with you to get a sample." They disappeared down the aisle and walked back, followed by a very tall, angry man asking the 4 year old "Who called me over here ?  >:( What do you want ?" The 4 year old pointed at me. "Are these your kids ? Can they have a sample ?" "Those aren't my kids :o *stomps off muttering* Getting called over for silly stuff and they're not even mine..."

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #20883 on: May 05, 2013, 05:59:54 AM »
When asked what she was doing, she stated that she was turning them into the police and she was going to find out if they were actually handicapped and how. When informed that had no right to that information, and that it was, in fact, an invasion of privacy. She again told off the staff member in vile language and told her that she had a right to these spaces and others did not. 
  The thing is every single car in the HC spaces had either the correct plate or the hang tag. So everyone who was in an HC space had the right to be there.

Four or five years ago at Christmastime I pulled into a strip mall and saw a poor police officer being yelled at by a SS.  Probably most of the year the amount of handicapped spaces is fine but it was Christmastime and it was busy. All the handicap places were taken and this woman was telling him loudly that he needed to ticket and yow all the offenders. Except,  as he kept trying to explain, all the plates were legitimate. They had every right to park there. She let him know she didn't believe him.

I just winced in sympathy and kept walking.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20884 on: May 05, 2013, 07:45:10 AM »
There was this time my brother and SIL and I took my niece and nephews to the Science Museum, which has its own parking garage. There is no place else to park for the museum except the garage, unless you want to park at least half a mile away and walk. My oldest nephew uses a power wheel chair.

Guess what was in all the handicapped spots in the garage?

Vehicles that sported the Science Museum's logo. We drove through every single level and all the HC spaces were full--either with the Museum's vans and trucks, or random Musuem equipment--ramps and railings and big barrels of something or other.

We managed to find a place to park where the wheelchair lift could still be operated. My brother asked to speak to someone and showed them the pictures he'd taken and pointed out that laws were being broken.

"But that's our own trucks! We need a place to park them!"

So DB reported the Museum and the garage to the police.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

mmswm

« Reply #20885 on: May 05, 2013, 08:42:02 AM »
Oh, I have a little twinge of sympathy for the tantrums over handicap parking. The number of handicap parking spots required by law in my county is insufficient for the proportion of handicapped people in the county.  There only place there's ever enough parking is at Target, who has more spaces than required by law. It's very frustrating to not be able to do what I planned because I can't get the child in a wheelchair out of the car.  I shop at Target an awful lot because of that.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #20886 on: May 05, 2013, 08:52:12 AM »
Oh, I have a little twinge of sympathy for the tantrums over handicap parking. The number of handicap parking spots required by law in my county is insufficient for the proportion of handicapped people in the county.  There only place there's ever enough parking is at Target, who has more spaces than required by law. It's very frustrating to not be able to do what I planned because I can't get the child in a wheelchair out of the car.  I shop at Target an awful lot because of that.

Tucson has quite a few. I have zero sympathy for the lady. Other people are disabled. They were all legally parked. There was nothing unique at the strip mall that she couldn't have found elsewhere- an Ace Hardware and 2 or 3 other chain stores found in Tucson. Instead she wasted a cop's time.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #20887 on: May 05, 2013, 09:47:42 AM »

Reminds me of the time two little girls (2 & 4) asked me for a sample at work. I said "Where's your mom and dad ?" The 4 year old said "Our dad is down there (in aisle just out of my sight line)" I said "Okay, tell him he has to come with you to get a sample." They disappeared down the aisle and walked back, followed by a very tall, angry man asking the 4 year old "Who called me over here ?  >:( What do you want ?" The 4 year old pointed at me. "Are these your kids ? Can they have a sample ?" "Those aren't my kids :o *stomps off muttering* Getting called over for silly stuff and they're not even mine..."
So who was he? Why did the kids drag him over? Was he the Mom's boyfriend or something?

I am a the breaking point with 4 of my students. Each one says "My (Mom/Dad) says I can hit anyone that hits me"

[size=78%]They aren't being hit by other kids. I have several kids going through growth spurts that are tripping over their own feet. Occasionally accidents happen when these kids misjudge distances. Most of the problems happen because these 4 get to close behind other kids in line and get "kicked" when the other kid picks up their feet or their shoes get stepped on because they are so close. [/size]

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Shea

« Reply #20888 on: May 05, 2013, 09:58:05 AM »
At the university library where I work, we have little giveaways for the students, things like small books of sticky notes and reusable bags. We used to have earbuds, but we ran out nearly a month ago. Students are still coming up to the desk to ask for them, and when we tell them that we don't have any more, most of the students will just say, "oh, okay" and go away. However, a few Special Snowflakes get veeeery upset. Standard dialogue:

Student: Hi, can I get a pair of those earphones?
 Me: Sorry, we ran out.
 Student: What? No headphones? When are you getting more?
 Me: We're probably not going to get any more.
 Student: No more?! I neeeeed them!
 Me: The bookstore sells several different varieties.
 Student: But I want the freeeeee ones!

Not only is the whining annoying, our university is set to experience massive budget cuts that will likely result in the termination of a significant number of staff, the closing of one, possibly two libraries, and, of course, and no more little library giveaways. The students know this, because they get regular email updates about the situation. And yet, they complain about not getting a (rather crappy) pair of free earbuds from the library. I even had one kid whine that he pays $15,000 a  year to the school, so the least they can do is give him a free pair of headphones.

No. The least they can do is educate you and give you access to some of the finest libraries and research facilities, most well-respected academics, and loveliest campuses in Canada. Headphones do not factor in.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:01:28 AM by Shea »

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #20889 on: May 05, 2013, 10:58:56 AM »
Saw this story on a social networking site of an SS getting his comeuppance and HAD to share...

"A crowded United Airlines flight was cancelled. A single agent was re-booking a long line of inconvenienced travellers.

"Suddenly, an angry passenger pushed his way to the desk. He slapped his ticket on the counter and said, "I HAVE to be on this flight and it has to be FIRST CLASS."[snip]

snopes covers this http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/obnoxious.asp]. It's the third story.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20890 on: May 05, 2013, 11:21:19 AM »
There was this time my brother and SIL and I took my niece and nephews to the Science Museum, which has its own parking garage. There is no place else to park for the museum except the garage, unless you want to park at least half a mile away and walk. My oldest nephew uses a power wheel chair.

Guess what was in all the handicapped spots in the garage?

Vehicles that sported the Science Museum's logo. We drove through every single level and all the HC spaces were full--either with the Museum's vans and trucks, or random Musuem equipment--ramps and railings and big barrels of something or other.

We managed to find a place to park where the wheelchair lift could still be operated. My brother asked to speak to someone and showed them the pictures he'd taken and pointed out that laws were being broken.

"But that's our own trucks! We need a place to park them!"

So DB reported the Museum and the garage to the police.

Good for your DB! That's really SS behavior on the part of the museum.  My mom is in a wheelchair, and drives. She has a cartopper for her chair, so really all, she needs is enough space to open her car door all the way, and get her chair down, and transfer into it. . Most of the time we can find HC parking but sometimes we can't. depending on how wide the spaces are, she can sometimes park in a regular space. and worst case, if she can't get back in, i can move the car out for her.

But there are exceptions. Last week we went to Walmart which has quite a few spaces, but all were taken. The regular spaces there are also not wide enough for her to get in and out, or risk not being able to get back in when she comes out if the car next to her leaves, and someone else parks there. there were tons of open spaces in the lot, so we moved further down, and she parked over two spaces, and put her placard in the window. We only do this when absolutely necessary, which is almost never, but she while she might sigh if there are no HC spaces available, she will make do. She would never think of complaining how she needs them more than everyone else with the correct placard or license plate who are parked in those spots.

mmswm

« Reply #20891 on: May 05, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »
I reread what I wrote and thought I might clarify.  I have a twinge of sympathy for the frustration that leads up to the tantrums, but the tantrums themselves are unacceptable.  I have, in the past, written to various stores and restaurants that are really bad about not having enough spaces suggesting that they consider designing their parking lots with more handicap spaces than the law requires simply because of the demographic that visits them.  I don't know if that does any good, but as I explained to Walmart, the reason I shop at Target is the availability of handicap parking. I've kept those emails polite and matter-of-fact, not ranting and complaining.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

snowdragon

« Reply #20892 on: May 05, 2013, 01:31:03 PM »

I have none.  - other people's medical diagnoses are not her business, nor is being disabled an automatic pass for never having to wait for parking ( or anything else). There's times when I have to be driven to classes or go hours early to get a parking spot, there's times when I can't get parking at my co-op, local grocery or even the local theater. Calling someone who has no way to defend themselves a nasty name for certain parts of a female body, and a lady of questionable morals and more, because someone else got to where this woman wanted to be first, is wrong. Violating other people's privacy, going to the cops with license plates to get them to trace them, and reveal legally protected information (especially since everyone was parked legally and for a special event like a "Senior Citizens Spring Fling")? Is way out of the bounds of acceptable behaviour. 

Frankly, I think anyone who finds out that she did this to their car and their records should have legal recourse against her and if the police act on this "information" ( she only took the license plates, not signage so they would only have her word) they should have recourse against that too- even if the police reveal diagnoses, they need to be held  accountable.  And the trantruming woman needs to be charged with false reporting, harassment and anything else that they can find to charge her with. Maybe it will save others from her crap.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #20893 on: May 05, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »
I'm nominating my cousin as a Special Snowflake.  He (I'll call him Theo) has a brother and a sister.  His brother has an adopted son who's been part of the family for about 3 decades now.  Recently, their (Theo and his siblings') mother died and the house she'd live in was to be sold.

Brother decided to buy it for his son to live in.  He offered his siblings their share of the market price.  Theo threw a fit - not because the house was to be sold, but because he didn't want the son living there as he "isn't part of the family".

I think people would have put it down to grief if Theo hadn't also thrown a huge fit when his sister decided to divorce her husband as he was an alcoholic and had become abusive.  The fact that Theo and his BIL were friends meant (in Theo's mind) that his sister had to remain married to him.  ::)

JoW

« Reply #20894 on: May 05, 2013, 04:18:56 PM »
....... Frankly, I think anyone who finds out that she did this to their car and their records should have legal recourse against her and if the police act on this "information" ( she only took the license plates, not signage so they would only have her word) they should have recourse against that too- even if the police reveal diagnoses, they need to be held  accountable.  And the trantruming woman needs to be charged with false reporting, harassment and anything else that they can find to charge her with. Maybe it will save others from her crap. 

I doubt the police will let her look at any records.  They know it could cause a lot of problems.  They will probably take her report and promise to "look into it". Once she leaves they'll file the report and return to their normal business.