Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5101876 times)

mmswm

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20895 on: May 05, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »
Oh, I have a little twinge of sympathy for the tantrums over handicap parking. The number of handicap parking spots required by law in my county is insufficient for the proportion of handicapped people in the county.  There only place there's ever enough parking is at Target, who has more spaces than required by law. It's very frustrating to not be able to do what I planned because I can't get the child in a wheelchair out of the car.  I shop at Target an awful lot because of that.

I have none.  - other people's medical diagnoses are not her business, nor is being disabled an automatic pass for never having to wait for parking ( or anything else). There's times when I have to be driven to classes or go hours early to get a parking spot, there's times when I can't get parking at my co-op, local grocery or even the local theater. Calling someone who has no way to defend themselves a nasty name for certain parts of a female body, and a lady of questionable morals and more, because someone else got to where this woman wanted to be first, is wrong. Violating other people's privacy, going to the cops with license plates to get them to trace them, and reveal legally protected information (especially since everyone was parked legally and for a special event like a "Senior Citizens Spring Fling")? Is way out of the bounds of acceptable behaviour. 

Frankly, I think anyone who finds out that she did this to their car and their records should have legal recourse against her and if the police act on this "information" ( she only took the license plates, not signage so they would only have her word) they should have recourse against that too- even if the police reveal diagnoses, they need to be held  accountable.  And the trantruming woman needs to be charged with false reporting, harassment and anything else that they can find to charge her with. Maybe it will save others from her crap.

Oh, I totally agree with you.  I tried to post to clarify what I meant.  I meant I had sympathy for the frustration, but in no way condoned the actions.  Does that make sense?  I sometimes have trouble conveying exactly what I mean.  This is why my degrees are in math.  I can write a proof, but that's where my writing skills end.  :(
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20896 on: May 05, 2013, 08:37:57 PM »
It might be kind of fun to think that maybe, just maybe, the police would actually track down those license plate numbers and realize they are all 'handicap legitimate' and then issue her a ticket for falsifying information to police.   >:D

Hillia

« Reply #20897 on: May 06, 2013, 12:26:19 AM »
I used to work with a woman who had a handicap parking tag for mobility issues.  At the time, she was able to get around using crutches.  One day she came storming in to work, demanding that the admin call security and have a car towed - it was parked in her spot.  The other car had a legitimate handicap tag, there was another handicap spot equally close and accessible, but she wanted 'her' spot and none other.  She was very put out that security wouldn't do anything to the other driver.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

snowflake

« Reply #20898 on: May 06, 2013, 04:03:07 PM »
. . . It's like the little girl who was playing on my front porch:  I told her she wasn't allowed to play there.  "But my mom said it was okay!"  I explained that it was my property, not her mother's, and I didn't want her playing on my porch.  This little girl actually got the message, and it never happened again.
It's possible that her mom did not actually tell her it was okay. Kids have a way of twisting words around.  Once I overheard my SIL in the next room tell her daughter, "If you're going to play ball, you have to go outside, and you have to have an adult with you".  My niece then comes to me and says, "My mom says you have to go outside and play ball with me".   ;D

Well, and also little kids have learned that "My mother said" can be incredibly powerful, so they use it whenever they're challenged. They learn that this isn't applicable through incidents like Sirius's.

When I was a kid, I lived in a place that was a cross between suburbia and the sticks.  Between my yard and the neighbor's yard, there was an empty lot that was technically part of my parents' property.  We didn't have it landscaped or anything, but we kept the weeds less than six inches high and were not allowed by ordinances to let it go to ruin.   There were other vacant lots similarly owned and also some unowned fields.

Neighbor's kid had to walk the dog.  If his dog did business on anyone's lawn, he had to clean it up.  If he did his business in any of the vacant fields nearby, it was OK.  Most of the time, neighbor's kid would not want to walk to one of the unowned fields and would get his dog to soil one of the vacant, owned lots.  Ours was the closest.

We did not take kindly to this.  I don't know what they fed that dog, but his droppings were fowl and the lot was a pain enough to keep tidy as it was.  So if we saw him walking the dog, we'd ask him to leave.

He asked his parents for permission.  But he didn't say, "Can I get Bozo to poo in the Flakes' empty lot."  He said, "If I walk Bozo and the Flakes are playing, is it OK to play with them?"  Of course his parents said yes because I grew up in one of those supposedly idyllic places where it was free play all afternoon for kids.  He flaunted his permission in our faces when we would chase his dog off our property.

Of course, when we got his parents involved, they called us liars because he wouldn't have lied to them.  (I think her words were, "My kids know they'd get a thrashing if they lied!  They don't lie!"  Oh really?  But they have lied and gotten thrashed, right?)  Those kids were such special snowflakes, I'm almost scared to know how they turned out.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20899 on: May 06, 2013, 05:22:17 PM »
I have to nominate 4 different women at my ophthalmologists office this morning. Many of the patients in the various waiting rooms have been given dilation drops and other medications, so the rooms are kept dim and quiet. There are signs posted on the office front door, the sign in desk, and the door to each waiting area asking for no cell phone use and all electronics to be kept silent.

These rooms are usually fairly crowded, and they were today, so it makes others uncomfortable to listen to the three different conversations going on, and the woman who let her two grandsons use her phone to play games with the volume up at maximum.  >:(

BarensMom

« Reply #20900 on: May 06, 2013, 07:11:54 PM »
The handicapped parking posts have me remembering the evil witch I used to work with at Evil Oil Company and the tantrum she threw one afternoon.

The prime parking spaces at this location were assigned to carpoolers.  EW had one of those spaces, although no one ever remembered her carpooling with anyone else from Marin.  The spaces were reserved until 1 p.m., after which they were fair game.  EW came storming into my office around 2:30 one day, demanding that I call Security and report someone in her parking spot.  I did so, and Security told me to tell her it's after 1 p.m., them's the breaks.  She went ballistic.  She went up the food chain to the head of Security, who upon investigation, discovered that she wasn't and never had been a carpool, so she lost the spot permanently. 

A few weeks later, I was called into my supervisor's office.  Somehow, it was my fault she had lost her spot, because I wasn't emphatic enough in my initial phone call to Security. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20901 on: May 06, 2013, 07:53:57 PM »

A few weeks later, I was called into my supervisor's office.  Somehow, it was my fault she had lost her spot, because I wasn't emphatic enough in my initial phone call to Security.

So was the supervisor taking her side?  I'm confused about that part.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #20902 on: May 07, 2013, 06:01:24 AM »
(...) She went ballistic.  She went up the food chain to the head of Security, who upon investigation, discovered that she wasn't and never had been a carpool, so she lost the spot permanently.

HAAAAAAAhahahahahahaHAAAAAA!!!  ;D ;D ;D 8)

*coughcough* *ahem* I mean, oh dear, there's a spot of poetic justice for you! ::)  BarensMom, I hope you didn't actually get in trouble due to that?
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #20903 on: May 07, 2013, 08:03:10 AM »
The handicapped parking posts have me remembering the evil witch I used to work with at Evil Oil Company and the tantrum she threw one afternoon.

The prime parking spaces at this location were assigned to carpoolers.  EW had one of those spaces, although no one ever remembered her carpooling with anyone else from Marin.  The spaces were reserved until 1 p.m., after which they were fair game.  EW came storming into my office around 2:30 one day, demanding that I call Security and report someone in her parking spot.  I did so, and Security told me to tell her it's after 1 p.m., them's the breaks.  She went ballistic.  She went up the food chain to the head of Security, who upon investigation, discovered that she wasn't and never had been a carpool, so she lost the spot permanently. 

Her religion isn't necessary or relevant to your story.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #20904 on: May 07, 2013, 08:09:17 AM »

Huh?  I've re-read her post three times.  Where does she mention religion??

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #20905 on: May 07, 2013, 09:14:22 AM »

I think the implication is that 'Evil Witch' is pagan. I didn't get that at all from the post - I heard it as 'Evil Rhymes-With-Witch'.

A Very Interesting Assumption.

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #20906 on: May 07, 2013, 09:19:03 AM »

I think she was being sarcastic referring to "Evil Witch".
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

meegs

« Reply #20907 on: May 07, 2013, 09:26:01 AM »
It is still considered a religion to people and care should be taken.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #20908 on: May 07, 2013, 09:37:35 AM »

I think the implication is that 'Evil Witch' is pagan. I didn't get that at all from the post - I heard it as 'Evil Rhymes-With-Witch'.

Ah.  Thank you.  Yep, very.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #20909 on: May 07, 2013, 09:39:59 AM »

Ah.  Thank you.  Yep, very.

No, she wasn't assuming that the person referenced was actually Wiccan. She was pointing out that using "witch" as a generic insult is offensive to those who practice that religion.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver