Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4392914 times)

BarensMom

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20910 on: May 07, 2013, 09:51:16 AM »
The handicapped parking posts have me remembering the evil witch I used to work with at Evil Oil Company and the tantrum she threw one afternoon.

The prime parking spaces at this location were assigned to carpoolers.  EW had one of those spaces, although no one ever remembered her carpooling with anyone else from Marin.  The spaces were reserved until 1 p.m., after which they were fair game.  EW came storming into my office around 2:30 one day, demanding that I call Security and report someone in her parking spot.  I did so, and Security told me to tell her it's after 1 p.m., them's the breaks.  She went ballistic.  She went up the food chain to the head of Security, who upon investigation, discovered that she wasn't and never had been a carpool, so she lost the spot permanently. 

A few weeks later, I was called into my supervisor's office.  Somehow, it was my fault she had lost her spot, because I wasn't emphatic enough in my initial phone call to Security.

Her religion isn't necessary or relevant to your story.

Huh?  I've re-read her post three times.  Where does she mention religion??

I think the implication is that 'Evil Witch' is pagan. I didn't get that at all from the post - I heard it as 'Evil Rhymes-With-Witch'.

A Very Interesting Assumption.

Ah.  Thank you.  Yep, very.

No, she wasn't assuming that the person referenced was actually Wiccan. She was pointing out that using "witch" as a generic insult is offensive to those who practice that religion.

I meant no offense to Wiccans, although if someone is Wiccan, I would refer to them as such and not as a "witch."  I used "witch" as a substitute for the rhyming word that starts with "b."

Yes, I did get in trouble with supervisor for "not supporting my coworker."  Never mind that coworker had been scamming a reserved carpool spot, forcing a real carpool to have to park in the garage further away.   I told him, "I did what I was told to do by calling Security and discussing the situation.  What I didn't do was to emphasize that what she was doing was against Company and site regulations.  She did that all by herself."

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20911 on: May 07, 2013, 10:28:37 AM »

Yes, I did get in trouble with supervisor for "not supporting my coworker."  Never mind that coworker had been scamming a reserved carpool spot, forcing a real carpool to have to park in the garage further away.   I told him, "I did what I was told to do by calling Security and discussing the situation.  What I didn't do was to emphasize that what she was doing was against Company and site regulations.  She did that all by herself."

Hopefully, the supervisor then apologized for not supporting YOU.  ???

Yarnspinner

« Reply #20912 on: May 07, 2013, 10:37:58 AM »
Loud Patron just walked in.  He was actually quiet for once, then all of a sudden I can hear noise like crazy that seemed to be coming from a cell phone.  He was sitting at a table, texting into one cell phone while, apparently, the person he was texting was replying to him on the other one....he was shocked, shocked I tell you at how loud it was when I asked him to take it outside.  SpecialSpecialSpecial!

And I don't think I can ever retire given the state of my car and mortgage....gah!

lemonfloorwax

« Reply #20913 on: May 07, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
I have my own SS story. I'm a leader for a group of Girl Scouts (2nd graders). I announced to the parents in January that we would be going camping in April and if their daughter was at all interested, they needed to sign up. I had to give an initial headcount by Feb 1st to see where our troop would be placed. Parents signed up. I gave the head count. Feb passes, March passes, and we are well into April when a mom asks me if her daughter can go camping.
I ask if she had signed her daughter up in January. Nope. I said sorry, unless someone drops out, she can't go. Cue the wailing about how "unfair" I am. She didn't KNOW that was her only chance to sign up. (I send out an email every week to all my parents and I told them all this.) She was BUSY. (Try running a GS troop!) I should CUT HER SOME SLACK. (What?) I was MEAN and DIDN'T LIKE HER DAUGHTER. (Really?) Couldn't I just SQUEEZE her in? (No.)
This mom tried going over my head but our unit director told her the same thing. We have to have a certain adult to child ratio and there's a limit on the number of people who can be in a cabin at a time for safety reasons. Mom was furious and said that because her daughter had sold X boxes of cookies, she absolutely HAD to be allowed to go. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20914 on: May 07, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »
 Yet another SS from my store's FB page: BG: customer bought a pair of shoes at one of our clearance outlets. which has off season merchandise, and is final sale. Says she realizes they are final sale, but there are exceptions to every rule. Which, as someone who works in retail, gets under my skin a bit. She goes to wear the shoes and realizes she has two right shoes. Ok, I can understand an exception being made to take them back, but she took them back to the closer, regular store, not the outlet, and was quite put out when she was told she would have to drive the 25 miles to the outlet to return them. Sorry, but regular stores (and I work in one) cannot take back any outlet merchandise, and vice versa. Furthermore, how is it she didnít notice this when she purchased them? Some blame lies there, esp being a clearance center and final sale. I felt she was a bit SS by saying it was the storeís problem and therefore they should fix it, even if she was being a tad unreasonable. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20915 on: May 07, 2013, 11:02:48 AM »
Yet another SS from my store's FB page: BG: customer bought a pair of shoes at one of our clearance outlets. which has off season merchandise, and is final sale. Says she realizes they are final sale, but there are exceptions to every rule. Which, as someone who works in retail, gets under my skin a bit. She goes to wear the shoes and realizes she has two right shoes. Ok, I can understand an exception being made to take them back, but she took them back to the closer, regular store, not the outlet, and was quite put out when she was told she would have to drive the 25 miles to the outlet to return them. Sorry, but regular stores (and I work in one) cannot take back any outlet merchandise, and vice versa. Furthermore, how is it she didnít notice this when she purchased them? Some blame lies there, esp being a clearance center and final sale. I felt she was a bit SS by saying it was the storeís problem and therefore they should fix it, even if she was being a tad unreasonable. 

I think the store gets most of the blame for this one.  The cashier should have checked and made sure the shoes were mates.  I'd be mad, too, if I were told I had to drive that far to fix the store's mistake.  I think the regular store should have made it right for the customer.

I buy things at the Aeropostale outlet for my daughter all the time.  And if I need to return something for whatever reason, I can go to the regular store at the mall to do so.  That's good business.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:04:20 AM by Shoo »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20916 on: May 07, 2013, 11:09:20 AM »

I think the store gets most of the blame for this one.  The cashier should have checked and made sure the shoes were mates.  I'd be mad, too, if I were told I had to drive that far to fix the store's mistake.  I think the regular store should have made it right for the customer.

I buy things at the Aeropostale outlet for my daughter all the time.  And if I need to return something for whatever reason, I can go to the regular store at the mall to do so.  That's good business.

I agree; cashier should have checked, but the return to store v. outlet, we don't have the outlet merchandise in our systems. and it is final sale, so an exception would have tobe made, as returns are not normally allowed on the clearnace merchandise.   It may not have been that the store didn't want to, its that they couldn't. I get that its frustrating, but I see customers every day who want us to bend the rules and make exceptions, and sometimes we simply can't.

Sootikin

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #20917 on: May 07, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »
The handicapped parking posts have me remembering the evil witch I used to work with at Evil Oil Company and the tantrum she threw one afternoon.

The prime parking spaces at this location were assigned to carpoolers.  EW had one of those spaces, although no one ever remembered her carpooling with anyone else from Marin.  The spaces were reserved until 1 p.m., after which they were fair game.  EW came storming into my office around 2:30 one day, demanding that I call Security and report someone in her parking spot.  I did so, and Security told me to tell her it's after 1 p.m., them's the breaks.  She went ballistic.  She went up the food chain to the head of Security, who upon investigation, discovered that she wasn't and never had been a carpool, so she lost the spot permanently. 

A few weeks later, I was called into my supervisor's office.  Somehow, it was my fault she had lost her spot, because I wasn't emphatic enough in my initial phone call to Security.

I think the implication is that 'Evil Witch' is pagan. I didn't get that at all from the post - I heard it as 'Evil Rhymes-With-Witch'.

No, she wasn't assuming that the person referenced was actually Wiccan. She was pointing out that using "witch" as a generic insult is offensive to those who practice that religion.

Thank you Bexx :)  I had thought 'witch' being used pejoratively on this forum had been thoroughly stamped out by the mods years ago.

I didn't make any 'interesting assumptions' it's right there in the post.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:12:35 AM by Sootikin »

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20918 on: May 07, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »

Thank you Bexx :)  I had thought 'witch' being used pejoratively on this forum had been thoroughly stamped out by the mods years ago.

It is my understanding that Ehelldame has said that the use of the word "witch" to mean a vile woman is so ingrained in our vernacular, that is acceptable to use it.

Sootikin

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #20919 on: May 07, 2013, 11:43:54 AM »
I don't want to derail the thread but can you provide a link?  I've never seen that, and the mods have always corrected anyone using 'witch' where it would be equally inappropriate to use 'christian'.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #20920 on: May 07, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »
I want to nominate one of my tenants, the parking thread reminded me of her. 

Last summer, SS came down demanding that a car be moved and wanting to know why I allowed them to park in a disabled space without a placard.  All of our parking is monthly paid assigned parking. Tenant was parked in her assigned space but had forgotten to put her hang tag in her window.I assured SS that she is permitted to be there but that was not good enough. She called parking enforcement to come out and ticket the car.  I was able to show the officer that the tenant did have a placard (it is listed on her paperwork that we have in her file). Reason I call SS for this, SS does not drive and does not have a car. There is no parking for visitors in this lot so there is no reason for her to need/want this spot and the tenant normally has her placard in the window and SS stated that she knows that she has one.

Same SS, Across the parking lot is a community center that has a computer lab. The lab is staffed by volunteers and is only open certain hours which are clearly posted all over the place including on the lab door.  SS went over outside of the open lab time and started screaming at the volunteer at the front desk because it was not open and she wanted to check her mail. She started lecturing them about how the lab should be open 24 hours a day in case someone wants to use it, never mind that there is no budget for it.

Mika

• MKbyMK
« Reply #20921 on: May 07, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »

Speaking as someone who is Wiccan, and refers to herself as a witch (as does every Wiccan I've ever met), this is the something that quietly irks me and makes me just skip over the entire post.

It's just as offensive to me as someone saying all members of X religion are Y.

nuit93

« Reply #20922 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:21 PM »

As someone who worked in the shoe department of a store for far too long, I would have to also place some blame on the store.  I was trained to ALWAYS check to make sure the shoes were mates and that they had a right and a left and in the same color (black and navy can look very similar under the wrong light).

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #20923 on: May 07, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »

Speaking as someone who is Wiccan, and refers to herself as a witch (as does every Wiccan I've ever met), this is the something that quietly irks me and makes me just skip over the entire post.

It's just as offensive to me as someone saying all members of X religion are Y.

Serious question that I fully admit sounds facetious:

What is the solution for discussing the villain in The Wizard of Oz?  Or various other fictional villains that have been called "witches"?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20924 on: May 07, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »
Serious question that I fully admit sounds facetious:

What is the solution for discussing the villain in The Wizard of Oz?  Or various other fictional villains that have been called "witches"?

Glinda called the villain a Bad Witch, and herself a Good Witch. :)