Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4437179 times)

Mika

• MKbyMK
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20925 on: May 07, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
The handicapped parking posts have me remembering the evil witch I used to work with at Evil Oil Company and the tantrum she threw one afternoon.

The prime parking spaces at this location were assigned to carpoolers.  EW had one of those spaces, although no one ever remembered her carpooling with anyone else from Marin.  The spaces were reserved until 1 p.m., after which they were fair game.  EW came storming into my office around 2:30 one day, demanding that I call Security and report someone in her parking spot.  I did so, and Security told me to tell her it's after 1 p.m., them's the breaks.  She went ballistic.  She went up the food chain to the head of Security, who upon investigation, discovered that she wasn't and never had been a carpool, so she lost the spot permanently. 

A few weeks later, I was called into my supervisor's office.  Somehow, it was my fault she had lost her spot, because I wasn't emphatic enough in my initial phone call to Security.

Her religion isn't necessary or relevant to your story.

Huh?  I've re-read her post three times.  Where does she mention religion??

I think the implication is that 'Evil Witch' is pagan. I didn't get that at all from the post - I heard it as 'Evil Rhymes-With-Witch'.

A Very Interesting Assumption.

Ah.  Thank you.  Yep, very.

No, she wasn't assuming that the person referenced was actually Wiccan. She was pointing out that using "witch" as a generic insult is offensive to those who practice that religion.

Thank you Bexx :)  I had thought 'witch' being used pejoratively on this forum had been thoroughly stamped out by the mods years ago.

I didn't make any 'interesting assumptions' it's right there in the post.

Speaking as someone who is Wiccan, and refers to herself as a witch (as does every Wiccan I've ever met), this is the something that quietly irks me and makes me just skip over the entire post.

It's just as offensive to me as someone saying all members of X religion are Y.

Serious question that I fully admit sounds facetious:

What is the solution for discussing the villain in The Wizard of Oz?  Or various other fictional villains that have been called "witches"?

Those to me ARE witches, albeit evil ones. They typically cast spells and practice magic.

There are such things as good and evil witches. Like the good witch in the Wizard of OZ.

Someone acting a tool, that does not practice Wiccan or any other religion that entails the use of magick or spell casting, is not a witch. They are just an awful/not nice person person.

:)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #20926 on: May 07, 2013, 03:16:32 PM »
Ah, gotcha, fair enough.  :)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20927 on: May 07, 2013, 03:34:18 PM »
can we take the witch discussion offline or to another thread
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

whatsanenigma

« Reply #20928 on: May 07, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
can we take the witch discussion offline or to another thread

Just FYI, I have asked the mods to please weigh in on this issue, and hopefully one will soon.  I'm not saying don't start another thread or go to the "file under miscellaneous" thread if you would like, that's entirely up to you, but I wanted to let you all know that hopefully we'll be getting a word from a mod soon and it will most likely be in this thread.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #20929 on: May 07, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
This was discussed in 2007, the thread is here:  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=14548.0
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20930 on: May 07, 2013, 05:07:44 PM »
Please take the witch discussion to the thread linked above.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #20931 on: May 07, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »
I've got 2 for 1.

2 coworkers got called in to the principal's office for using up their sick and personal leave days.

Coworker 1 has some health problems but also considers her sick and personal leave days part of her wages and uses them up every year. Remember we are teachers so we have multiple built in vacation days. Every year she uses up all her days with stuff like Motorcycle ralleys then gets sick when the oak trees try to choke us all to death and has no days. She explained she is having emotional issues because of an attack that happened several years ago. Principal told her that she needed to apply to HR for FMLA. Well she decided to take a mental health day last week. Here is the SS part - she never filled out any of the paper work just keyed in FMLA to the system and bragged how now Principal can't touch her.

2nd person explained that she was sorry but she had 3 kids and they had been sick. In particular her oldest has balance/mobility problems but they have never recieved a firm diagnoses. He had to have several procedures that required he go to Texas Children's including one overnight stay. Principal told her sorry but you can't take off any more days. I told her to get the paper work for FMLA. She asked him about it - and he told her that she wasn't eligable. I checked with Sis (part of her job is helping people with this) - who hit the roof and called my boss several names. A child with a chronic condition and friend has worked for the district for over a decade. Friend is going to HR to get the FMLA in place so she and her DH (also long term district employee) can use it when appropriate. I told her to file a complaint or at least make sure they know he told her she wasn't eligable.

I think Principal deserves an SS award for giving her bad information instead of referring her to HR - Especially because he just came off of FMLA. Part of me wonders if he knows she is one of 15 teachers that filed a complaint through  FFRF about his bible quote diatribes demanding we pray over them (we are public school). He got smacked down hard for that one.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

alkira6

« Reply #20932 on: May 08, 2013, 08:53:53 AM »
I feel for your friend. Please help her get her paperwork in order. I have been getting guff from my principal about my absences (teacher also) but I still have sick days banked even after the ones I've had to take.  I'm pretty sure that this (unofficially) tied into the choice to add me to the layoff pool (almost 1200 teachers so far).

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20933 on: May 08, 2013, 05:24:53 PM »
That would never happen in Australia, you'd just be asked for medical certificates to prove you are taking the sick leave you're entitled to if you work full or part time. Even on casual they excuse you from work with one, but it's unpaid.

Waterlight

« Reply #20934 on: May 08, 2013, 09:49:35 PM »
In my current workplace, an employee's supervisor reserves the right to ask for a doctor's note if the employee is out for three days or longer.  And as an HR rep--I basically AM the HR department--I recommend supervisors ask for a doctor's note anyway, regardless of how long the employee is out.  There are still people who game the system (e.g. accrue a day of leave then immediately take that day), but the doctor's-note policy cuts down on sick-leave abuse.

As for the people who do game the system, that's something I just.  don't.  get.  And I agree they're being SS's.  In the spring of 2006, I became severely ill and had to go on medical leave for two months.  I had three months of sick leave saved up.  My illness is under control now, thankfully, but could flare up again at any time.  That's why I'd rather have the sick leave on the books and not need it, than need it and not have it.
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #20935 on: May 08, 2013, 10:11:33 PM »
I feel for your friend. Please help her get her paperwork in order. I have been getting guff from my principal about my absences (teacher also) but I still have sick days banked even after the ones I've had to take.  I'm pretty sure that this (unofficially) tied into the choice to add me to the layoff pool (almost 1200 teachers so far).
My sister is going to help her. The Jerk has been threatening US with RIF for 3 years now even though the district is opening new schools left and right. HE went off for 15 minutes today on how he has been "protecting us" and if you aren't willing to go the extra mile don't sign your contract.

He has already been up on civil rights charges. He lost it at the before school starts inservices and screamed at us for 1/2 an our because someone dared to take offense at his comment that BIL teachers cooperate more with each other because they lack resources. (I actually agree with him on that one - just not the screaming at me for 15 min because of what someone else did) This was in front of the head of staff development.

He has told teachers that he believes the kids over the teachers. - even with things that can be proven like if a teacher was texting in class.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

random numbers

« Reply #20936 on: May 09, 2013, 12:16:04 AM »
In my current workplace, an employee's supervisor reserves the right to ask for a doctor's note if the employee is out for three days or longer.  And as an HR rep--I basically AM the HR department--I recommend supervisors ask for a doctor's note anyway, regardless of how long the employee is out.  There are still people who game the system (e.g. accrue a day of leave then immediately take that day), but the doctor's-note policy cuts down on sick-leave abuse.

What if they don't go to the doctor? I can't remember the last time I went to the doctor for an illness. I have been sick for several days in a row, but it would take more effort and driving to see my doctor than it would to go to work.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20937 on: May 09, 2013, 12:40:18 AM »
It's usual standard policy for workplaces to require a medical certificate so the person can be seen they were unfit for work for those days.

And presumably, people do go to the doctor to get treated for illness.

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #20938 on: May 09, 2013, 12:58:49 AM »
It's usual standard policy for workplaces to require a medical certificate so the person can be seen they were unfit for work for those days.

And presumably, people do go to the doctor to get treated for illness.

Which can be deeply annoying if it takes 2 weeks to get an appointment to see a Doctor and get a note here (rural). Unless you have been hospitalized recently or have something life threatening they can't squeeze you in and the emergency dept. don't do sick notes unless you are sick enough to be admitted. Thankfully, most places only require a sick note after 2-3 consecutive sick days. Unless your boss is a known tyrant in my town they tend to let the sick note thing slide unless it becomes a regular occurrence or you abuse it. Most bosses/businesses live in this area so they know how it is.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #20939 on: May 09, 2013, 01:21:07 AM »
I love M's employer.  The do PTO... all you need is a reason.  If it's not far enough in advance, you get a demerit, but it's one per infraction, not per day.