Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5415535 times)

Waterlight

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20940 on: May 09, 2013, 03:03:06 AM »

[snip]

But that's a topic for another thread. Needless to say, I wouldn't be surprised at all if an employer asks me for a medical certificate for more than two days sick leave.

The way the policy for my employer is written, it is on the supervisor to request a doctor's note if an employee is out for three days or longer.  Usually they don't request notes for someone who is out just a day or two... unless they have reason to suspect the employee is abusing sick leave.
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #20941 on: May 09, 2013, 03:16:11 AM »
The health plan I used to be under would allow you to call the advice nurse and get a work excuse without having to physically go to the doctor.  My supervisor at the time told me that while she knew I wouldn't call in sick unless I really was, because there was one person in our office who abused his sick leave she had to treat us all the same and insist on doctors' notes for anything over 3 days. 

ti_ax

« Reply #20942 on: May 09, 2013, 06:29:31 AM »
I respectfully suggest that the sick day discussion is off topic here.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20943 on: May 09, 2013, 06:54:18 AM »
Do dreams count? I had a dream that I was in the store with my youngest and someone was telling me about an SS he encountered in another store.  Mind you the guy telling me wasn't anyone I knew so I was quite unsure as to why he was telling me.  I don't even remember what he said her defense was but he sure found somewhere else he needed to be when the SS in question pushed her cart past our aisle and saw him. 

Then she saw me and started talking to me as I was waiting in line for a register and I started wondering who the real SS was because she was being so pleasant.

Does this mean I'm reading too much e-hell? LOL
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kariachi

« Reply #20944 on: May 09, 2013, 09:39:01 AM »
Do dreams count? I had a dream that I was in the store with my youngest and someone was telling me about an SS he encountered in another store.  Mind you the guy telling me wasn't anyone I knew so I was quite unsure as to why he was telling me.  I don't even remember what he said her defense was but he sure found somewhere else he needed to be when the SS in question pushed her cart past our aisle and saw him. 

Then she saw me and started talking to me as I was waiting in line for a register and I started wondering who the real SS was because she was being so pleasant.

Does this mean I'm reading too much e-hell? LOL

I don't know, but if you are then so am I.

Had one last week, my dad and I were having a cook-out and random people kept sending their kids over to steal our food. Like, whole platters of steak and burgers from off the table. Dream-me finally lost it, swore them out, and told them to get their brats off our property.

Dream-me also then got followed around a store being berated by everyone I saw for being a horrible person and don't I know those people needed the high priced food more and why couldn't I 'just let it go'.

When I woke up dream-me was planning to apologize to the parents- for calling their children brats, that was uncalled for.  8)
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20945 on: May 09, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »
It's usual standard policy for workplaces to require a medical certificate so the person can be seen they were unfit for work for those days.

And presumably, people do go to the doctor to get treated for illness.

In some industries or cultures, perhaps, but not in any workplace I have been employed. I have worked in many industries.

Ereine

« Reply #20946 on: May 09, 2013, 12:56:21 PM »
It's usual standard policy for workplaces to require a medical certificate so the person can be seen they were unfit for work for those days.

In some industries or cultures, perhaps, but not in any workplace I have been employed. I have worked in many industries.

I think that it's probably a product of working cultures in which you don't have a limited number of sick days. If you only have ten sick days a year it won't really matter to the employer if you're actually ill but the situation is different in many places. Every place I've worked at has required a note after a few days' absence at the latest, fortunately they usually accept a nurse's note and many people have healthcare through their employers.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #20947 on: May 09, 2013, 12:59:23 PM »

I think that it's probably a product of working cultures in which you don't have a limited number of sick days. If you only have ten sick days a year it won't really matter to the employer if you're actually ill but the situation is different in many places. Every place I've worked at has required a note after a few days' absence at the latest, fortunately they usually accept a nurse's note and many people have healthcare through their employers.

That's probably it. I don't know of any Danish workplace that has a limited number of sick days, but I do know of some where they require a doctor's note if you're sick for more than 3-4 days at a time. But in those cases the workplace will pay for the consultation, if it isn't already free.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #20948 on: May 09, 2013, 02:52:27 PM »
Getting a medical certificate before starting a new job is pretty standard here. For most office jobs, it is mainly a formality (although they do note any spinal issues that might later be attributed to sitting down to long, etc). For others, it is essential, to document medical conditions that might be at a later date blamed on the employer/to show that the worker did not have said condition before starting. It offers protections for both parties.

When I worked at a clinical lab, the medical exams required before starting were impressive! Then again, I worked a few meters away from blood and tissue samples, so it made sense. I was also required to take a lot of extra vaccines!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20949 on: May 09, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »
Getting a medical certificate before starting a new job is pretty standard here. For most office jobs, it is mainly a formality (although they do note any spinal issues that might later be attributed to sitting down to long, etc). For others, it is essential, to document medical conditions that might be at a later date blamed on the employer/to show that the worker did not have said condition before starting. It offers protections for both parties.

When I worked at a clinical lab, the medical exams required before starting were impressive! Then again, I worked a few meters away from blood and tissue samples, so it made sense. I was also required to take a lot of extra vaccines!

My one job with a pharma c ompany I had to have a full-blown, Pre-employment physical on site. but they also had manufacturing there so they did the same thing for everyone, regardless of where you were going to be, there, labs, or offices.  My last job I just had to have a drug test, which was no big deal. I think most companies where I am at least require that, and maybe more, depending on what it is, and type of place you’ll be working.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20950 on: May 09, 2013, 04:16:48 PM »
I think that getting a physical before being hired is one issue, but getting one every time you're out sick is another. The former is reasonable and pretty common. But the latter is silly, IMO. I don't go to the doctor for a one- or two-day cold or stomach bug. Requiring for longer illnesses is fine, because you'd presumably need to go to the doctor anyway.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20951 on: May 09, 2013, 05:12:12 PM »
Please move on from the sick leave/doctor's note discussion or start a new thread.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Elisabunny

« Reply #20952 on: May 09, 2013, 06:15:09 PM »
Two driving Snowflakes:

First, the big semi whose driver decided he didn't need to obey the speed limit.  I was in the right hand (normal speed) lane, already going slightly over the speed limit.  The truck loomed larger and larger in my rear-view mirror, but I had no place to go.  He then pulled into the other lane, where he gave the driver in front of him the same treatment.

Second, the guy in the big pickup who ignored the yield sign while merging onto the highway.  We couldn't move over because we needed the off-ramp in the same lane.  We finally had to slam on the brakes to go behind him.  Grrr.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

TeamBhakta

« Reply #20953 on: May 10, 2013, 10:36:33 AM »
Gimme pig SS: Apparently Mom won the same prize in two completely separate, unrelated sweepstakes. So a random person  on her contest board (who she'd never talked to / heard of) publicly posted "You don't need two widgets. That's selfish. Send one to me so I can give it to my son."  :o
*ETA: publicly, not by PM
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:40:41 AM by TeamBhakta »

darling

« Reply #20954 on: May 10, 2013, 11:11:02 AM »
Gimme pig SS: Apparently Mom won the same prize in two completely separate, unrelated sweepstakes. So a random person on her contest board (that she'd never talked to / heard of) sent her a PM saying "You don't need two widgets. That's selfish. Send one to me so I can give it to my son."  :o

:o ??? ::)

What is it about winning a prize that turns people into gimme-pigs???

My best friend (Tom) recently won a new iPad in a raffle for charity. A friend of his from work (Russ) got ticked at Tom because Tom didn't immediately email him to say he would give the new one to Russ, since he (Tom) already had an iPad.

First of all, Tom gave a generous donation to the charity, in addition to donating a lot of time and work, which resulted in him getting a lot of raffle tickets (he still had relatively few compared to the whole). Second, Tom had an older iPad he bought a couple of years ago, not a brand new, top of the line iPad like the one he won. Third, why the heck did Russ think he was entitled to Tom's new iPad (or even the old one!)? Fourth, Russ left snide comments on the photo Tom posted immediately after winning (he was excited!), basically telling Tom that he expected this iPad to be handed over to him soon (the whole, "must-be-nice" thing, "dibs", totally serious!). The thing is, Tom probably would have given Russ his old one if Russ hadn't acted like this.

The best part? Tom is Russ' project manager at work. This, among other things (like Russ asking for a $17K/year raise because his wife quit her job, getting angry and throwing tantrums when he doesn't get his way, etc.), is just one more item on the list that is going to eventually result in Russ' professional darwinism...

Tom decided to keep new iPad for himself (he had planned on donating it), and donated the old one. He says it was kind of awesome to use the new one in front of Russ the first time, just to see the look on Russ' face. That's probably the most selfish thing Tom has ever done or said, BTW.  ;D