Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5243815 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20955 on: May 10, 2013, 10:36:33 AM »
Gimme pig SS: Apparently Mom won the same prize in two completely separate, unrelated sweepstakes. So a random person  on her contest board (who she'd never talked to / heard of) publicly posted "You don't need two widgets. That's selfish. Send one to me so I can give it to my son."  :o
*ETA: publicly, not by PM
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:40:41 AM by TeamBhakta »

darling

« Reply #20956 on: May 10, 2013, 11:11:02 AM »
Gimme pig SS: Apparently Mom won the same prize in two completely separate, unrelated sweepstakes. So a random person on her contest board (that she'd never talked to / heard of) sent her a PM saying "You don't need two widgets. That's selfish. Send one to me so I can give it to my son."  :o

:o ??? ::)

What is it about winning a prize that turns people into gimme-pigs???

My best friend (Tom) recently won a new iPad in a raffle for charity. A friend of his from work (Russ) got ticked at Tom because Tom didn't immediately email him to say he would give the new one to Russ, since he (Tom) already had an iPad.

First of all, Tom gave a generous donation to the charity, in addition to donating a lot of time and work, which resulted in him getting a lot of raffle tickets (he still had relatively few compared to the whole). Second, Tom had an older iPad he bought a couple of years ago, not a brand new, top of the line iPad like the one he won. Third, why the heck did Russ think he was entitled to Tom's new iPad (or even the old one!)? Fourth, Russ left snide comments on the photo Tom posted immediately after winning (he was excited!), basically telling Tom that he expected this iPad to be handed over to him soon (the whole, "must-be-nice" thing, "dibs", totally serious!). The thing is, Tom probably would have given Russ his old one if Russ hadn't acted like this.

The best part? Tom is Russ' project manager at work. This, among other things (like Russ asking for a $17K/year raise because his wife quit her job, getting angry and throwing tantrums when he doesn't get his way, etc.), is just one more item on the list that is going to eventually result in Russ' professional darwinism...

Tom decided to keep new iPad for himself (he had planned on donating it), and donated the old one. He says it was kind of awesome to use the new one in front of Russ the first time, just to see the look on Russ' face. That's probably the most selfish thing Tom has ever done or said, BTW.  ;D

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20957 on: May 10, 2013, 11:32:17 AM »
Gimme pig SS: Apparently Mom won the same prize in two completely separate, unrelated sweepstakes. So a random person  on her contest board (who she'd never talked to / heard of) publicly posted "You don't need two widgets. That's selfish. Send one to me so I can give it to my son."  :o

Everyone has one of those, don't they?  I had a coworker that felt entitled to anything we stumbled onto.  Won the office pool? Got a box of chocolate as a gift? Christmas bonus? Big tax refund?*  The first thing out of her mouth is "You're giving me half, right?"  And then act shocked and pouts when the answer is (naturally) NO.  Her friends have called her crazy to her face.  It just rolls off her back.  She still think she has a right to it all.  This and other behavior makes me think she has narcissistic personality disorder.

*We don't share finance information with each other at work.  This is a story she pouted to us about her sister's refund, expecting us to call her sister selfish and of course she's entitled to it ::).

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #20958 on: May 10, 2013, 11:38:34 AM »

Everyone has one of those, don't they?  I had a coworker that felt entitled to anything we stumbled onto.  Won the office pool? Got a box of chocolate as a gift? Christmas bonus? Big tax refund?*  The first thing out of her mouth is "You're giving me half, right?"  And then act shocked and pouts when the answer is (naturally) NO.  Her friends have called her crazy to her face.  It just rolls off her back.  She still think she has a right to it all.  This and other behavior makes me think she has narcissistic personality disorder.

*We don't share finance information with each other at work.  This is a story she pouted to us about her sister's refund, expecting us to call her sister selfish and of course she's entitled to it ::).

Isn't that a stage toddlers go through?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

mmswm

« Reply #20959 on: May 10, 2013, 11:46:08 AM »

Isn't that a stage toddlers go through?

Oh, geez.  I have to admit that I'm a bit jealous of my sister's perfect life.  She's got the 6 bedroom, 5 bath house with a large yard in an exclusive neighborhood, the fully electric car and a hybrid van, perfect husband, two beautiful boys, great job and all around "perfect" life.  I could never imagine expecting her to give me money because my life is not quite so perfect. My mind boggles.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

MissRose

« Reply #20960 on: May 10, 2013, 11:46:57 AM »
I think my power company is a bit of an SS.  My neighborhood lost power and the weather didn't warrant it.  I called in to report it, and the automated system is a pain nor could I talk to a human.  When I called on my cell a few times later to check on restoration times,  they had none then later finally gave a time.  Nor did they say for my area what the cause of it was.  I found out only by using the internet on my phone what the cause was via facebook postings on a few local news sites and it was not even on the power company's site.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20961 on: May 10, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »
Meanwhile my bff has said if we (meaning DH and I) win the lottery, she doesn't want anything.   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20962 on: May 10, 2013, 12:24:11 PM »
Meanwhile my bff has said if we (meaning DH and I) win the lottery, she doesn't want anything.

But you're totally gonna but a bigger house with a mother-in-law apt and move he out to you, right?  ;)
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20963 on: May 10, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »

But you're totally gonna but a bigger house with a mother-in-law apt and move he out to you, right?  ;)

It's crossed my mind, believe me! :) Either that or buy a second house in her town where we can go and stay without having to impose on her or spend the $ on a hotel. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Reika

« Reply #20964 on: May 10, 2013, 12:30:20 PM »
I had gone out in the search of lunch, which didn't work out too well. On my way home I see three cars going down the street. The one in the lead suddenly stops dead for no apparent reason. There's no light there, no streets or exit from a parking, no one crossing the street, etc.

Car in the middle gives a quick beep. The woman driving the lead car gets out and starts shrieking, "F*** you! F*** you all!"

Watching this, I start to fish my cell phone out of my purse to call the cops when she stops screaming and demands of the other driver (meanwhile the third car looks to be in the process of trying to back up), "What the F*** do you think you're doing?"

"Calling the cops."

The woman runs back to her car and zooms off. I hope the driver got her license plate, I wasn't at a good angle to do so.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #20965 on: May 10, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »
Somebody in my neighborhood, though I don't know who, was a real special snowflake a few weeks ago. 

I live in a part of a college town that has a lot of student apartments.  Ordinarily this does not bother me, even when they have parties.  The noise is not excessive and they stay in their own houses and yards.

However,  after this particular round of partying, I was not very happy to see the glass all over the road in front of my house.  I don't know if someone just randomly threw liquor bottles out into the street from one of the yards, or if a passing driver threw them out the window of a car or what.  But there was broken glass (clearly from liquor bottles) all over the street for the distance of almost a whole block.

Thank goodness this street is not very busy and so I was able to get my broom and sweep it out of the street, as much of it as I saw anyway.  I really didn't know what else to do-I know tires don't blow out like they used to in the past but I do know that a piece of glass can work its way in and give the tire a slow leak.  I don't even have a car myself but someone was coming to pick me up to go somewhere later that afternoon, and I wouldn't want that person or even a random stranger to get an unnecessary flat tire.

Seriously, who does that?!? Who thinks it's okay to leave broken glass in the street?  I guess only a special snowflake who doesn't realize that other people actually drive and walk there and could be negatively affected by that.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20966 on: May 10, 2013, 01:05:02 PM »
That is terrible and very SS!

MrTango

« Reply #20967 on: May 10, 2013, 01:23:14 PM »

I once told my FIL that if I ever wond the Powerball Jackpot, I'd buy him a new fishing boat.  He laughed, but I was (and still am) serious.  I very seldom buy tickets, but on the rare occasions I do...there's a miniscule chance.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20968 on: May 10, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »
Can birds be special snowflakes?  The weather has been so warm here that I've been opening up all the windows in the evening to cool the house down.  The first night, I left the spare bedroom and the bathroom open but had to close my bedroom (bathroom is connected) because of the street lights and the blind rattles if the window is open.  4:00 am, I have to get up and close the bathroom window because the dang birds were so loud.  It's not even light out yet, for Pete's sake.  Shut up!

:D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20969 on: May 10, 2013, 01:44:54 PM »

I once told my FIL that if I ever wond the Powerball Jackpot, I'd buy him a new fishing boat.  He laughed, but I was (and still am) serious.  I very seldom buy tickets, but on the rare occasions I do...there's a miniscule chance.

Well if we do win I might just insist on taking us both to Ireland.  :) She's been and wants to go back, I've never been and am dying to go. :)