Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5065489 times)

*new*mommyagain36

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20970 on: May 10, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »
There's a blizzard here.   :D

Today is "We love Group X" day and the powers-that-be set up a lovely dessert buffet for Group X as appreciation.  The problem is they set up said buffet in a very central place and every Tom, wingadingdingy and Harry Q. Public that passes by the room has been going in and helping themselves to the booty.  One lady was stopped as she exited with 2 heaping plates, followed by 3 small children,  each carrying their own heaping plates.  Powers-that-be told her desserts were for Group X, but they did allow her to leave with her 5 heaping plates.  PTB has since moved what is left of dessert buffet to a more secluded back office and sent emails to Group X to come there.  Not sure who is more of the SS?  PTB for putting up a very public display of food, not intended for the public, but not labeling it in any way,  or the many people who took heaping plates of food without asking if it was ok.
Hence the blizzard.  In May no less.   ;)
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20971 on: May 10, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »
Can birds be special snowflakes?  The weather has been so warm here that I've been opening up all the windows in the evening to cool the house down.  The first night, I left the spare bedroom and the bathroom open but had to close my bedroom (bathroom is connected) because of the street lights and the blind rattles if the window is open.  4:00 am, I have to get up and close the bathroom window because the dang birds were so loud.  It's not even light out yet, for Pete's sake.  Shut up!

:D

Dear Outdoor Girl,

As an Outdoor Girl, you must be aware that we birds like, at this time of the year, to serenade the life-giving spring sun in the so-called "Dawn Chorus". We have been doing this for, oh, the last 100 million years. But since you brought it up, we'll put in a word with the Head Chick about your complaint.

See you at 4 tomorrow,

The Birds  >:D
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20972 on: May 10, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »
At least the $%^&* starlings have been leaving me alone this year.  I put a cage over the bathroom fan outlet and there is no more rattling of the outlet cover to come in and next in the fan pipe.

I hate starlings.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shalamar

« Reply #20973 on: May 10, 2013, 03:08:28 PM »
My boss's SIL is a gimme pig of that same ilk.  Boss's mother recently won an iPad, and SIL immediately said "You don't need that.  You won't even use it.  You should give it to (SIL's son)."  And Boss's mother was going to actually do that, because she's a sweetheart, but Boss intervened and said "She is SO going to use it.  I'll teach her." 

Upshot:  Boss's mother adores her new toy and uses it all the time, especially for Skype.  SIL hasn't stopped sulking since.  :D

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #20974 on: May 10, 2013, 03:44:02 PM »
Oh, so many SS's today.

These happened at lunch.
The road has three lanes, going East.
Two lanes go straight.
The far left lane turns left, across another 3 lanes of traffic going West.
The 2 red lights for the straight through people turn green.  The turn lane light is still red.  SS lays on the horn.  For the next few minutes we hear non stop honking...honking..honking.  Our light turns green, the honking stops and we all turn left.

Then, i park my car in lot.  SS parks thisclose to my car.  I cannot open the door.  ~sigh~ I back out and go to another spot (on the other side of the lot).
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Yarnspinner

« Reply #20975 on: May 10, 2013, 03:53:34 PM »
I was asked the other day to provide the patron with a book she had never read before.  Fortunately, she finally gave me a little more info to go on after I coaxed more information out of her.  "I've read a lot of German literature, like Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary.  So now I would like to read some French literature."

I brought her Heinrich Boll and also brought along a couple of books by Stendahl and Sartre....just in case.

One of my colleagues had to speak with a reality challenged patron recently (and I am putting this here because there's no more "brain hurt conversations" thread)  who uses the computer in ways no one understands.  She is probably in her late teens, early twenties, talks to herself non stop and, no matter what she is watching/doing on the computer, must leap up every thirty seconds, and on her way down (I'm not kidding, she jumps a good foot and a half or more) will pull her pants up higher and tighter.

After several complaints from other patrons, my fairly naive coworker headed over and said "You can't keep doing that!"

To which she replied "Well, how else am I supposed to hear it?"

Yeah, there is a novel in this place, but I don't know what the plot would be......

mmswm

« Reply #20976 on: May 10, 2013, 05:09:47 PM »
SS You may never turn if I'm behind you reared his ugly head several times today.  I needed to make a right turn into the mall.  I turned on my signal, slowed down and started to turn.  Idiot behind me laid on his horn and made rude gestures as he whipped around me, cutting off the car in the next lane over and nearly causing her to rear end him.  I left the mall and headed to the doctor's.  I must make a left turn into that lot.  Same thing.  Apparently you are never supposed to turn off of US1.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #20977 on: May 10, 2013, 05:17:15 PM »
The person I drove by for a few miles on the highway today. He decided to let everyone know when he thought various drivers were not paying 100% attention to the road--by honking repeatedly, then tailgating them, then speeding up to match pace and stare them down and honk more. Yes. Because that will help the teen driver focus more on the road--worrying about your huge SUV and aggressive attitude is totally going to help.

My next door neighbor is having a garage sale. We live in a culdesac. There are a few cars here, but there are definitely places to park on the side of the road. Nope. One SS drove straight into the culdesac, parked his car smack dab in the center, and got out to shop.

TylerBelle

« Reply #20978 on: May 10, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
There's a blizzard here.   :D

Today is "We love Group X" day and the powers-that-be set up a lovely dessert buffet for Group X as appreciation.  The problem is they set up said buffet in a very central place and every Tom, wingadingdingy and Harry Q. Public that passes by the room has been going in and helping themselves to the booty.  One lady was stopped as she exited with 2 heaping plates, followed by 3 small children,  each carrying their own heaping plates.  Powers-that-be told her desserts were for Group X, but they did allow her to leave with her 5 heaping plates.  PTB has since moved what is left of dessert buffet to a more secluded back office and sent emails to Group X to come there.  Not sure who is more of the SS?  PTB for putting up a very public display of food, not intended for the public, but not labeling it in any way,  or the many people who took heaping plates of food without asking if it was ok.
Hence the blizzard.  In May no less.   ;)

I'd vote for the latter, the public taking and not asking if it's okay. Because I'd imagine even if the PTB put signs all around proclaiming in big flashing letters how the dessert buffet is for Group X, there would people who'd still help themselves to the goodies. The only thing I could suggest doing, other than to hide the food away, is have the ones in which it's intended for to get in there and get what they would like to have ASAP, for the takers are gonna come regardless.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #20979 on: May 10, 2013, 08:30:09 PM »
Gimme pig SS: Apparently Mom won the same prize in two completely separate, unrelated sweepstakes. So a random person  on her contest board (who she'd never talked to / heard of) publicly posted "You don't need two widgets. That's selfish. Send one to me so I can give it to my son."  :o

Everyone has one of those, don't they?  I had a coworker that felt entitled to anything we stumbled onto.  Won the office pool? Got a box of chocolate as a gift? Christmas bonus? Big tax refund?*  The first thing out of her mouth is "You're giving me half, right?"  And then act shocked and pouts when the answer is (naturally) NO.  Her friends have called her crazy to her face.  It just rolls off her back.  She still think she has a right to it all.  This and other behavior makes me think she has narcissistic personality disorder.

*We don't share finance information with each other at work.  This is a story she pouted to us about her sister's refund, expecting us to call her sister selfish and of course she's entitled to it ::).

Isn't that a stage toddlers go through?

In my experience, Narcissism can be very much like a toddler's view. Anything in reach is theirs and anyone who says no is just being 'mean'. Most will stop short of actually committing a crime to get what they want, but they will still tell you it is soooo unfair that so-and-so gets a widget and they don't. Even if they have five widgets already. ::)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20980 on: May 10, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
Can birds be special snowflakes?  The weather has been so warm here that I've been opening up all the windows in the evening to cool the house down.  The first night, I left the spare bedroom and the bathroom open but had to close my bedroom (bathroom is connected) because of the street lights and the blind rattles if the window is open.  4:00 am, I have to get up and close the bathroom window because the dang birds were so loud.  It's not even light out yet, for Pete's sake.  Shut up!

Of course they can!  One very SS of the avian variety decided that I had put that pretty wreath on my door just for her to build a nest in it.  When we removed the nest, she built it again.  We removed nest AND wreath, whereupon she moved around to the back and built a nest on the rungs of DH's step ladder! That nest we allowed to stay, but after the baby birds left the nest, the ladder was removed.   Her second nest of the year she built on top of the beer refrigerator on the back porch.

We were obligated to provide her with a nest site, dingdangity it!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20981 on: May 10, 2013, 09:13:42 PM »

Of course they can!  One very SS of the avian variety decided that I had put that pretty wreath on my door just for her to build a nest in it.  When we removed the nest, she built it again.  We removed nest AND wreath, whereupon she moved around to the back and built a nest on the rungs of DH's step ladder! That nest we allowed to stay, but after the baby birds left the nest, the ladder was removed.   Her second nest of the year she built on top of the beer refrigerator on the back porch.

We were obligated to provide her with a nest site, dingdangity it!

I'm so envious of you!!  That very determined mother bird certainly provided you with countless photographic opportunities!!  ;D

rain

« Reply #20982 on: May 12, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »
I'd forgotten about this .... until today.  I'm nominating my sister & her DS as rulesdon'tapplytouses (is this the right "class"?)

Years ago, the place my DM lived (senior housing) in had very strict rules & you could be written up for things you/your guest(s) did.  They also had a three strike rule - after three write ups you were out - period.

The two rules that sis & nephew felt shouldn't apply to nephew - no running in the halls and no remote control toys running in the halls*.  When DM reminded them of the rules (and consequences) their response would be ... but there's not anyone in the halls/we didn't see anyone.   :o  They just refused to admit the rules applied to them & were there to keep people safe.  DM got written up  >:(.  Thankfully they never hit the 3 strike limit.

* the halls are not straight, but has several "bends" as the building is pentagon/hexagon  shaped
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Yarnspinner

« Reply #20983 on: May 12, 2013, 07:01:51 PM »
Not sure if these two counted as Special Snowflakes, but it was one of the saddest conversations I had ever heard.

I was at my local CVS just about ten minutes ago, making it a little bit after 6 p.m. here.  There was a couple shopping for Mother's Day paraphernalia.  And they were outraged, OUTRAGED, I tell you, that the store had sold out of all its Mother's Day bouquets and it was SO inconvenient that the (expletive) guy on the corner had run out of (expletive) roses and now what were they gonna get her (expletive) mother.  The husbnd or boyfriend was yelling "Aw, just get her a stupid balloon.  Get her a (expletive) teddy bear.  Who the (expletive) cares?"  Then they started doing the whole "Well, I GUESS WE HAVE TO GO TO COMPETITOR TO GET FLOWERS NOW...."

So not only was it someone else's fault that they hadn't picked up a Mother's Day gift earlier in the week, but apparently Mom was at fault for having given birth.

The cashier and I stared at each other slack jawed.  I muttered "Why even bother going?  Do Mom a favor and go home."  The cashier said "THANK YOU!  I was just thinking the same thing.  Her poor mother!"

Now, maybe there was another side to the story.  Maybe her mother was Mommy Dearest, but even if she was, to blat about like that, complaining that the store was causing them trouble because it didn't have what they thought it should and hollering out foul language to describe every item in the store?  Special.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20984 on: May 12, 2013, 07:32:40 PM »
SS You may never turn if I'm behind you reared his ugly head several times today.  I needed to make a right turn into the mall.  I turned on my signal, slowed down and started to turn.  Idiot behind me laid on his horn and made rude gestures as he whipped around me, cutting off the car in the next lane over and nearly causing her to rear end him.  I left the mall and headed to the doctor's.  I must make a left turn into that lot.  Same thing.  Apparently you are never supposed to turn off of US1.

I get these on a daily basis. I go through a light, and then the entrance to my building is maybe 50 feet past that on the right. Road is two lanes, but I can't signal at the light as people will get confused as to whether i'm turning there or not. So as soon as it turns green, or I'm beginning to go through, I signal to turn. At least 3 times a week, someone will ride up on my bumper, see i'm turning, and if its clear, zoom into the left lane. i'm just waiting to be hit from behind as I slow down to turn in.