Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5083970 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #20985 on: May 12, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
Not sure if these two counted as Special Snowflakes, but it was one of the saddest conversations I had ever heard.

I was at my local CVS just about ten minutes ago, making it a little bit after 6 p.m. here.  There was a couple shopping for Mother's Day paraphernalia.  And they were outraged, OUTRAGED, I tell you, that the store had sold out of all its Mother's Day bouquets and it was SO inconvenient that the (expletive) guy on the corner had run out of (expletive) roses and now what were they gonna get her (expletive) mother.  The husbnd or boyfriend was yelling "Aw, just get her a stupid balloon.  Get her a (expletive) teddy bear.  Who the (expletive) cares?"  Then they started doing the whole "Well, I GUESS WE HAVE TO GO TO COMPETITOR TO GET FLOWERS NOW...."

So not only was it someone else's fault that they hadn't picked up a Mother's Day gift earlier in the week, but apparently Mom was at fault for having given birth.

People who don't plan ahead for days like Valentines Day or Mothers Day deserve what they get. DH used to live near a corner shop that sold flowers, it was interesting seeing the desperate men pacing outside deciding between the sad selection of flowers at 3pm on Valentines Day.

And that is also why you don't get married on Valentines Day or Mothers Day.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #20986 on: May 12, 2013, 09:25:45 PM »
The owners of the 2 gas stations just outside of my subdivision and their customers. They got into  a gas war one day. The gas was more than 50% off the going price. I had know way of knowing as I drove home.  A distance that normally takes 5 - 15 min that time of day took an hour. When I got to the intersection I thought I was going to get caught in a riot.

People like me who were trying to just get home were going around the line that went way down the street. Then they were moving back over to turn right onto the other road. (I was lucky to be turning left towards the one corner without a gas station. )

People in the line thought the others were trying to cut and started bailing out of cars and banging on hoods. I had my phone in my lap to call 911 (didn't want the people banging on hoods to see the phone). I didn't want to think what could happen if someone had a gun.   A whole bunch (more than 8 cars) of sheriff's deputies showed up. They got things sorted out fast. There were deputies at all 3 stations One was not part of the gas war - but a clerk told me that weekend had people been coming in demanding they lower their prices to match the other two.

Even more cops in the intersection getting it cleared so traffic could get through. I wrote the Sheriff a letter, praising their action and how they got things straightened out.

The stations kept it up for about a month - but confined the war to the weekends. Which wasn't much better - there is a flea market and RV park the other side of the subdivision and they block up the road regularly as is.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #20987 on: May 13, 2013, 06:16:10 AM »
Yeah, there is a novel in this place, but I don't know what the plot would be......

Lots of short pen portraits. You can call it "Pictures from an exhibition".

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #20988 on: May 13, 2013, 08:18:29 AM »
At least the $%^&* starlings have been leaving me alone this year.  I put a cage over the bathroom fan outlet and there is no more rattling of the outlet cover to come in and next in the fan pipe.

I hate starlings.

I have a pair of starlings that's been nesting in a drainpipe curve near my bedroom window for the last few years. I've always said I've had mich worse neighbors.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #20989 on: May 13, 2013, 08:59:15 AM »
I nominate the people who were driving around ( it was more like racing from the noise) on motorbikes at three in the morning on Saturday night. Who does that? I was having a late night so I was still up so it was only slightly annoying to me. But image if you were asleep (as most people would be that late. I have no idea why they were driving that fast as it sounded like the noise was coming from the housing estate behind us that is full of winding roads.

Dr. F.

« Reply #20990 on: May 13, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »
I was standing in line at a fast-food restaurant yesterday. It was fairly busy, and the line snaked most of the way through the lobby. The SS was the dad who allowed his 6-ish son to ride his bike (with training wheels!) around the restaurant while they were waiting in line, complete with bumping into people and shouting "BEEP BEEP" to get people to move.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20991 on: May 13, 2013, 11:16:10 AM »
I was standing in line at a fast-food restaurant yesterday. It was fairly busy, and the line snaked most of the way through the lobby. The SS was the dad who allowed his 6-ish son to ride his bike (with training wheels!) around the restaurant while they were waiting in line, complete with bumping into people and shouting "BEEP BEEP" to get people to move.

That must have been the most patient line of people ever known to human history!  If some kid ran into me with a bicycle and yelled "Beep Beep" while doing so, I'm afraid my reaction would not in any way pass 'politeness' approval from eHell!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #20992 on: May 13, 2013, 11:24:11 AM »

That must have been the most patient line of people ever known to human history!  If some kid ran into me with a bicycle and yelled "Beep Beep" while doing so, I'm afraid my reaction would not in any way pass 'politeness' approval from eHell!

I would've done the same thing I do to kids with heelies at the grocery store: You're coming straight at me, waving your arms ? I'm not moving my cart somewhere else.

bloo

« Reply #20993 on: May 13, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »
I nominate DH for Special Snowflake.

I'm 5'2". He's 6'4". He's decreed that whenever I leave one of our two cars, that I put the seat all the way down and all the way back, on the chance that he might be the next driver of the car and on the (slimmer) chance that it might be raining.

I usually reply, "Not ever going to happen, but you can keep demanding it if it helps vent your spleen."

His argument is I can jump in the car and adjust it while he has to stand outside the car to do so. This is true and annoying if it's raining. But it's not reasonable, IMO, for me to have adjust the seat every.single.time I use a car. (We both use both vehicles roughly equally). If he used it last, I'd have to adjust once I get in AND when I get out.

If I know for sure he's going to use the car I'm in next I will adjust the seat for him (one of our vehicles is the only one that can haul our boat), but that's all I'm willing to do.

For you super-lucky peeps that have the auto-seat-adjusters in your remote keyless entry fob, my fangs are dripping with envy!

Dr. F.

« Reply #20994 on: May 13, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »

I would've done the same thing I do to kids with heelies at the grocery store: You're coming straight at me, waving your arms ? I'm not moving my cart somewhere else.

It was a line full of PA people. There was much muttering and eye-rolling. Fortunately (or not?), the kid spent more time riding around the table area, where he ran into fewer people.

Shalamar

« Reply #20995 on: May 13, 2013, 12:09:21 PM »
And that is also why you don't get married on Valentines Day or Mothers Day.

I think I posted this before, but I knew someone whose birthday and wedding anniversary were both on February 14.  Did her husband ever forget that date?  Sadly, yes.

Speaking of kids on bikes, I once had an entire family on bikes come up behind me on the sidewalk (not a cycle path) while I was walking, and they called imperiously "EXCUSE me!"  When I turned around, they said "We're trying to get by.  Please move."  I said "You've got to be kidding.  The sidewalk is for pedestrians, and I'm not moving."  The mother yelled something else, but I'd put my headphones on by that point and missed it.  Whatever it was, I'm sure it was a compliment.  :)

I'd like to be clear here - I have no problem sharing the sidewalk with bikes.  I get that sometimes the road simply isn't safe.  But to demand that I jump out of their way?  Nope, not happening.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:13:38 PM by Shalamar »

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #20996 on: May 13, 2013, 12:49:17 PM »

I'm 5'2". He's 6'4". He's decreed that whenever I leave one of our two cars, that I put the seat all the way down and all the way back, on the chance that he might be the next driver of the car and on the (slimmer) chance that it might be raining.

I usually reply, "Not ever going to happen, but you can keep demanding it if it helps vent your spleen."

His argument is I can jump in the car and adjust it while he has to stand outside the car to do so. This is true and annoying if it's raining. But it's not reasonable, IMO, for me to have adjust the seat every.single.time I use a car. (We both use both vehicles roughly equally). If he used it last, I'd have to adjust once I get in AND when I get out.

If I know for sure he's going to use the car I'm in next I will adjust the seat for him (one of our vehicles is the only one that can haul our boat), but that's all I'm willing to do.

For you super-lucky peeps that have the auto-seat-adjusters in your remote keyless entry fob, my fangs are dripping with envy!

I have to disagree with you!  I'm 5'2, and Mr_Deb is 6'2.  He literally cannot get in the car unless I push the seat back after driving.  It only takes a few seconds.  He, on the other hand, has stopped tucking the pull-down-attic-stairs cord up into the hole where I can't reach it without a step stool, because I asked him to nicely.  I think it's just the kind and loving thing to do. 

Of course, there's a difference between "Honey, could you please push the seat back after you drive so I can get in the car?" and "Put the expletive seat back or else, you expletive expletive!"

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20997 on: May 13, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »

I always push the seat back before I get out of the car.
Partly because it *is* easier for me to change the seat (yes, even twice per trip) than it is for him to try to get in with the seat all the way or (or to adjust it from outside, since it's really not that easy), and I love him, so I like to make things easier for him, especially when it's really no skin off my nose. It's not THAT hard.

And I've discovered that I *like* the extra space that's available to me when getting in or out of the car. I think if I had my own car, I'd still push the seat back every time I was getting out.

(though "decreed" is not a loving tactic for *him* to use)

PeterM

« Reply #20998 on: May 13, 2013, 01:08:02 PM »
I have to disagree with you!  I'm 5'2, and Mr_Deb is 6'2.  He literally cannot get in the car unless I push the seat back after driving.

Unless he in incapable of doing so himself, that is not an accurate statement. And I say that as a man who has more than once banged his knee pretty badly upon getting into the car without realizing the seat was up where my wife needs it.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20999 on: May 13, 2013, 01:19:58 PM »
I have to disagree with you!  I'm 5'2, and Mr_Deb is 6'2.  He literally cannot get in the car unless I push the seat back after driving.

Unless he in incapable of doing so himself, that is not an accurate statement. And I say that as a man who has more than once banged his knee pretty badly upon getting into the car without realizing the seat was up where my wife needs it.

Maybe my car is different, but I can push it back from outside the car in a few seconds. I think it might be something he should work out before making a "decree".
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont