Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5103946 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21015 on: May 13, 2013, 03:05:18 PM »

My middle cat is like that about tub water. She will yowl like crazy for the faucet to be turned on (never mind the three large bowls of clean water set out), but won't drink it unless I sit next to her first and duck my head down a little so she can headbutt me  ???

Well, she has to say "thank you," doesn't she? You went to a lot of trouble for her; the least she can do is say "thank you" before she drinks.

She's actually quite well-mannered (if persistent), and don't you feel bad for calling her a Special Snowflake? A true Special Snowflake doesn't ever say "thank you."

Coralreef

« Reply #21016 on: May 13, 2013, 03:53:21 PM »
My dog is also a SS.  She will not eat unless she sees I'm eating too.  I have to point to her bowl and tell her to eat her croquettes (may times each meal).  She has to have either dried liver bits or bacon bits in there with the croquettes. 

Finicky dog, she is.

[/right

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #21017 on: May 13, 2013, 04:51:44 PM »
When the car seat has been pushed far back in my car, I have fallen in and hurt myself.

I'm single, so I don't have the moving back and forth problem on a regular basis.  But I hate having to adjust the seat after I've been in for service.  I don't know how many times I've gotten in, put the seatbelt on, then realized I need to adjust the seat.  Then almost choked myself on the seatbelt.

I drive, DH doesn't, so it only happens to me after a service or MOT.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21018 on: May 13, 2013, 06:57:53 PM »
I have to disagree with you!  I'm 5'2, and Mr_Deb is 6'2.  He literally cannot get in the car unless I push the seat back after driving.

Unless he in incapable of doing so himself, that is not an accurate statement. And I say that as a man who has more than once banged his knee pretty badly upon getting into the car without realizing the seat was up where my wife needs it.

Maybe my car is different, but I can push it back from outside the car in a few seconds. I think it might be something he should work out before making a "decree".

He cannot get in the vehicle, but it's electrical so at the push of a couple of buttons, he can move the seat back and down. He's certainly not verbally abusive (which is well past Special Snowflake behavior anyway), but he tells me every time I happen to be in the passenger seat, "You need to move the seat all the way back for me every time you get out of the car."

That just makes absolutely no sense to me unless you have dedicated cars. But we don't. We both drive both cars equally. If I happened to use 'his' car, I'd move it back, because likely he'd be the next one in it. But I'm just as likely to be the next one in it, so it doesn't make sense to me.

I've asked him six ways from Sunday to put the toilet seat down (I think it's better that way because we see clients at our home) and he's decided not to. So maybe we're PA'ing each other.

Make him a bargain - you will move the car seat BACK before getting out of the car every time you see that he's put the lid down on the toilet......ask sweetly.  Explain that you understand that it takes an extra second or three - but it really does look better for "clients".  And that him showing such consideration and love for YOU will help YOU remember to move the seat back.

I feel for you - the car VorGuy drives has to have me get out and move it an inch or two to get to "my" position - because it won't budge with any weight on it.  You have to get into the darned seat to see who it is adjusted for, then get out to adjust it.

My minivan, on the other hand has electric controls for the driver's seat.  I just wish there was a way to program the durned thing to adjust the seat based on which key you're using....I'd set up a "his" and "hers" key immediately!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:01:16 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21019 on: May 13, 2013, 08:29:18 PM »
Make him a bargain - you will move the car seat BACK before getting out of the car every time you see that he's put the lid down on the toilet......ask sweetly.  Explain that you understand that it takes an extra second or three - but it really does look better for "clients". And that him showing such consideration and love for YOU will help YOU remember to move the seat back.

Or, as my 5yo sister said at the time, it keeps stuff from falling in!!!

I don't understand why ANYBODY leaves the lid up.

Well, I have a friend who toilet-trained her cats; her, I can understand. (She has to have a sign on her toilet to keep visitors from shutting the cats out of their "litter box.")

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21020 on: May 13, 2013, 08:36:19 PM »
With regard to car seats, my DH is actually an inch taller than I am, but I have longer legs. He also likes to sit rather close to the steering wheel (even though I've told him and he agrees that it's safer to sit as far away as you comfortably can). So I drive with the seat pushed all the way back, and he drives with it close enough to the steering wheel that I can barely get in.

I also do 90% of the driving in this relationship, and am the primary user of the car (I drive to work, DH takes the bus).

So we both determined that it was eminently reasonable for me to ask him to push the seat back after driving it. I can count on one hand the number of times he's actually remembered to do it, but at least he agrees that it would be nice for him to.

The best compromise we have is that the only things that change in the car when I drive versus when he does is the closeness of the seat to the steering wheel and the rear view mirror. We've gotten the side mirrors to a spot that works for both of us, and we both like the seat back pretty straight. So at least when he inevitably forgets to move the seat, I just have to reach down to the bar under the seat and shove it all the way back.

All that said, I do think it's reasonable, when two drivers share a car and need the seat in drastically different locations, for the driver who sits closer to the steering wheel to at least move it back. I wouldn't personally do more than that (i.e. adjust the angle of the seat back or height of the seat itself), but shoving it back at least means both people can get in the car and adjust it from the seat.

But I think the best solution of all is to have a car that has programmable seat settings, that can be engaged at the push of a button. That is definitely a nice feature, and one I'd love to have when we replace our current car.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #21021 on: May 13, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »
It has been a snowy day here.  First, two from the workplace bathroom.  We have had a lot of people up on my floor lately (special classes).  Now the bathroom is set up so that there are four sinks in a line with paper towel dispensers only by the two outermost sinks.  These sightings are from separate trips.

SS1:  Had a portfolio type thing that she put blocking the access to the right paper dispenser (which was not out, but who wants to drip on a stranger's bag?) while using the sink at the leftmost sink so that no one could get paper towels until she was done.

SS2:  Standing there vigorously flossing while at the right most sink so that again, one paper towel dispenser is blocked because no one wants to reach in front of someone flossing like that.

The next one was at  the store--blocking the entrance with the car so that you could barely get around to enter and people trying to leave had to just stand and wait (getting in was possible because of being without a cart).  Also letting the child drive the mobility scooter (store property) like it was a toy instead of getting it right over there to more quickly clear the entryway.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #21022 on: May 13, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »
Can birds be special snowflakes?  The weather has been so warm here that I've been opening up all the windows in the evening to cool the house down.  The first night, I left the spare bedroom and the bathroom open but had to close my bedroom (bathroom is connected) because of the street lights and the blind rattles if the window is open.  4:00 am, I have to get up and close the bathroom window because the dang birds were so loud.  It's not even light out yet, for Pete's sake.  Shut up!

:D
Of course they can!  One very SS of the avian variety decided that I had put that pretty wreath on my door just for her to build a nest in it.  When we removed the nest, she built it again.  We removed nest AND wreath, whereupon she moved around to the back and built a nest on the rungs of DH's step ladder! That nest we allowed to stay, but after the baby birds left the nest, the ladder was removed.   Her second nest of the year she built on top of the beer refrigerator on the back porch.

We were obligated to provide her with a nest site, dingdangity it!

For years in the springtime no matter where he parked it, not matter how he tried to cover it, a bird would invariably nest in my dad's motorcycle. Every year, he couldn't take his bike out for at least two months.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #21023 on: May 14, 2013, 04:32:04 PM »
My husband and I are pretty lucky, I guess!  We're not so different in height, although I have a long torso, so when we're sitting up next to each other, I'm taller.  Which means his legs are a *lot* longer than mine.  We've managed to reach a compromise position in the minivan, so that I'm a little farther back than I'd like to be, and he's a bit closer than he'd like to be, but it works well enough for each of us that we can just leave it alone and not have to adjust it back and forth.  The minivan is my primary vehicle, but he drives it a good bit as well.  He also has a car that I almost never drive, so he adjusts that to his convenience.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #21024 on: May 15, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »
I know it's the nature of babies to be SS, but Baby really took the cake today! I was nursing him, but he was more bored than hungry, so he decided to combine his two greatest amusement. Nursing, and showing off his new teeth. He bit me so hard I yelped. And my reaction startled him, so he started sobbing. So, Baby bites me and I end up comforting him  ::)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #21025 on: May 15, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »
I know it's the nature of babies to be SS, but Baby really took the cake today! I was nursing him, but he was more bored than hungry, so he decided to combine his two greatest amusement. Nursing, and showing off his new teeth. He bit me so hard I yelped. And my reaction startled him, so he started sobbing. So, Baby bites me and I end up comforting him  ::)

My step-sister was the specialest of snowflakes, then—she bit my step-mom’s nipple off! Hearing stores of having done that put her off nursing her own children completely.

Ed for white-out
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:55:12 PM by stitchygreyanonymouse »

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #21026 on: May 15, 2013, 03:41:42 PM »

My step-sister was the specialest of snowflakes, then—she bit my step-mom’s nipple off! Hearing stores of having done that put her off nursing her own children completely.

Okay, I'm not even that gender at this point in my life, and I nearly fainted from reading that.  YIKES.

Coralreef

« Reply #21027 on: May 15, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »

Okay, I'm not even that gender at this point in my life, and I nearly fainted from reading that.  YIKES.

OK, I'm holding the girls right now... I swear they just lurched in my bra. 

[/right

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #21028 on: May 15, 2013, 05:14:18 PM »
Gonna white this out just in case, but it is one of my funnier stories from my high school internship at the local hospital (in relation to the squirm-inducing topic at hand):

I job shadowed several people at the hospital, including the pathologist for a while.  A big part of her job was doing tissue biopsies.  Also worth noting that this was a Catholic hospital, run by nuns.  So one day the nun who ran the hospital came through, taking a number of visiting nuns on a tour of the facility.  As it so happened, the pathologist had a breast to biopsy, which had just been removed as part of a mastectomy.  (I'll admit that was the one thing that made me squeamish - seeing her have to cut part of the nipple to biopsy was seriously creepy.)

Anyway, it went something like this:

Head of hospital (nun): ". . . and here we have the pathology lab!  Good morning, [Pathologist's Name.]  What are you working on this morning?"

Pathologist: [glancing over at the group of a dozen nuns, all in full habits, all looking around interestedly] I, ah, well . . . *whispers* it's a breast.

Entire group of nuns: *turn bright red, hurry on out of the pathology lab*

The pathologist and I looked at each other and we just lost it  :P

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #21029 on: May 15, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »

Yeesh, I've never heard of that!  Was she able to... get it reattached?  Or something?  I'm very glad my kids don't seem to get teeth until around 1 year of age, which is right when I wean.  Coincidence?  :)  My current baby does love to latch on and then abruptly turn her head.