Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5640097 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21045 on: May 17, 2013, 09:55:41 AM »
Ah, fresh piping hot justice!

Background: South Africa has a billion dollar informal minibus taxi industry. The minibuses are often unroadworthy and the drivers are a blizzard of special snowflakes and a law unto themselves. They very frequently completely ignore any and all traffic regulations, and the number of mindblowingly dangerous manouvres I've personally witnessed minibus taxi drivers pulling is too long to count (including things like doing a U-Turn across a four lane highway to drive the wrong way up the shoulder to pick up a passenger, or going the wrong way up a highway offramp to cut across the oncoming traffic to get to the lanes going the other way, or going diagonally across an intersection againt lights and traffic flow to end up blocking a slipway to drop off a passenger).

Anyway, this morning on my way to work I'm stopped at a red light and I see a taxi pull up next to me and then cheerfully (without even slowing down even slightly) continue on through the red light across the intersection. Practically an everyday occurence frankly. Pity he didn't notice the clearly marked traffic police car RIGHT behind him. The blue lights came on before the taxi's tailpipe had cleared the intersection and by the time I got a green light, he had been pulled over on the side of the road and the cop was stomping towards the snowflake-piloted taxi with a very irate look on his face.

It's pretty hard to miss traffic police cars here, they're white with intense bright orange stripes and stand out like a sore thumb.

hehe. On a side note, my cousin has been in Cape Town for the last almost 3 years for his job, and when he's home, I'm afraid to drive with him, as he drives like he's still in SA. He comes home for good this summer so hopefully his driving skills will improve :) - I'm just sad I wasn't able to go visit him while he was there. It looks beautiful!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #21046 on: May 17, 2013, 11:05:23 AM »
From Customers Suck. No language issues that I see, but child death is mentioned. Crazy pregnant woman. Patient refuses to wait her turn in line at the doctor; makes outrageous statement as to why she should go ahead of the OP.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Yarnspinner

« Reply #21047 on: May 17, 2013, 01:15:35 PM »
Remember the cranky patron whose driver's license we misplaced a few weeks ago?  Well, he's back.  With a broken foot he supposedly got by saving a woman's dog after it ran out into traffic.  It seems she offered him money for his troubles and he (who demanded all sorts of cash from us for pain and suffering--and got it) turned it down because "I'm not someone who demands money from everyone."

My coworker who was dealing with him told me about Mr. Driver's License's latest complaint.

(Caveat:  he was right to be angry about the mix up with his license...but once his story started changing every hour, it got a lot harder to sympathise.)

His new complaint is that we won't let him "hang out" in the special archives so he can "hide from his girlfriend."  He's been coming in every day, trying to eat in a room with sensative materials, watching TV on his computer without benefit of headphones and demanding that the history groups meeting to discuss genealogy issues be quiet because he can't hear his movies.  And his girlfriend finds him and carries on knock down drag out fights with him.

Police haven't been called yet because he was sent packing, but he is furious that we won't let him disrupt the only quiet space we have since he is such a good patron.  The best part, I guess, was when he threatened the head of the archives with having another department head deal with her.  The archives head pointed out that she and the other department head are equals and that Other DH cannot fire her or make her change her rules.

My sinus headache is now a migraine.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21048 on: May 17, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »
Good grief, Yarnspinner!

I know the situation in your library is close to the sixth circle of Dante's Inferno but how in any way, shape or form could this whatever-you-want-to-call-him be considered a 'Good Patron'?

Please allow me to add to the alcohol supply when you finally manage to retire. 

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #21049 on: May 17, 2013, 05:08:14 PM »
If his girlfriend keeps finding him, he needs to find a new hidey hole!  I hope it's far away from your library.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #21050 on: May 17, 2013, 05:51:02 PM »
From Customers Suck. No language issues that I see, but child death is mentioned. Crazy pregnant woman. Patient refuses to wait her turn in line at the doctor; makes outrageous statement as to why she should go ahead of the OP.

I don't think the response I'd have to that SS is printable. Or legal :o

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #21051 on: May 17, 2013, 07:23:23 PM »
If his girlfriend keeps finding him, he needs to find a new hidey hole!  I hope it's far away from your library.

I'd offer him a garbage bag to put over his head while he's hiding in a corner - that way she won't recognize him.  >:D

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #21052 on: May 17, 2013, 08:10:08 PM »

POD. I'm too angry for words from just reading it...
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

diesel_darlin

« Reply #21053 on: May 17, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »

>:( >:( >:( >:( Some people......I dont even...... ughhhh....

Snooks

« Reply #21054 on: May 18, 2013, 10:43:09 AM »
Aside from the awfulness of what she said, why do all stories about SS waiting to see obstetricians always involve them declaring "I'm pregnant" in a room full of pregnant women?  I suppose being a SS makes them totally blind to all the other bumps in the room because no-one else features in their world.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21055 on: May 18, 2013, 10:57:11 AM »

That one got the steam coming out of my ears as well.  It's hard to believe that people can be that insensitive but stranger things have happened. 

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #21056 on: May 18, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »
My sister is earning a Special Snowflake award.

Her latest thing is telling us all how incredibly sensitive she is, and how everyone where she lives just loves her when they're sick because she's so sensitive.

First, she called up our dad during the height of allergy season. He answered the phone to tell her he had just finished throwing up (he barely ever throws up). She then kept him on the phone for 30 minutes telling him how much people loved having her around when they were sick and throwing up, because she knew just what to do and was soooo sympathetic to the sick.

This second one... Dad started out the week in the hospital with heart trouble (irregular heart beat - he's fine now, but at his age, doctors worry). I texted my sister so she would know. She responded: "Oh boy", and nothing else. Did not call him or me for updates. Our stepmother called me and asked me to cancel my weekend plans so I could visit. I, somewhat freaked out, texted Grace again, because Dad wasn't answering his phone. Grace's response: "God, I just CAN'T DEAL with this right now!".

Dad wasn't answering his phone because he was checking out, but after I told Grace he was fine, I've heard nothing else. I'm sorry our father being in the hospital is coming at such a bad time for her -_-

Snooks

« Reply #21057 on: May 18, 2013, 11:20:31 AM »
My sister is earning a Special Snowflake award.

Her latest thing is telling us all how incredibly sensitive she is, and how everyone where she lives just loves her when they're sick because she's so sensitive.

First, she called up our dad during the height of allergy season. He answered the phone to tell her he had just finished throwing up (he barely ever throws up). She then kept him on the phone for 30 minutes telling him how much people loved having her around when they were sick and throwing up, because she knew just what to do and was soooo sympathetic to the sick.

This second one... Dad started out the week in the hospital with heart trouble (irregular heart beat - he's fine now, but at his age, doctors worry). I texted my sister so she would know. She responded: "Oh boy", and nothing else. Did not call him or me for updates. Our stepmother called me and asked me to cancel my weekend plans so I could visit. I, somewhat freaked out, texted Grace again, because Dad wasn't answering his phone. Grace's response: "God, I just CAN'T DEAL with this right now!".

Dad wasn't answering his phone because he was checking out, but after I told Grace he was fine, I've heard nothing else. I'm sorry our father being in the hospital is coming at such a bad time for her -_-

I think your sister might be my aunt, she's not interested in anything unless she can spin it to be about her.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21058 on: May 18, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »
As much as I love the OC boardwalk, it does get some special snowflakes.  When we were there the other day, there was a group of young adults, maybe late teens or early 20's who had rented recumbent bikes.  Most were pretty considerate but there were a couple of guys who came flying out from behind a sign, near a store without even looking to see if anyone was coming.   They luckily didn't run into anyone but I think that was sheer coincidence since they just went right in front of us and started pedaling the opposite direction without even pausing to see what the foot traffic was like.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21059 on: May 18, 2013, 01:03:19 PM »
Our neighborhood has several places where people can rent bicycles to enjoy the park.  Most people are just fine but some are a menace to society. They don't  know how to ride.  They're wobbling all over the place while they're talking to other riders and trying to pedal up a hill. 

I remember one who I met on my way to work some years ago.  She had very little control over her bike and wasn't looking where she was going. The plaza was quite wide and  I tried to avoid her but, no matter how much I dodged, she was always headed right for me.  I knew how a car that a frisbee decides to hide beneath may feel. 

I know she didn't intend to hit me but she did.  She was going very slowly so no damage was done.  It was just embarrassing for all concerned for her to look forward and find her front wheel between my legs.