Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5646521 times)

Cami

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21555 on: June 11, 2013, 10:07:09 PM »
The most amazing part, to me, is that this idiot apparently thought everyone in the world would be on her side when the video hit the web. The Dunkin Donuts worker may - or may not, let's be honest - have forgotten to give her her receipt, which gives her a minor but legitimate gripe. But in her mind it justified a vile, racist rant and she honestly thought she'd be the hero of the recording. Who thinks like that?

Racists.

Even most racists are smart enough to realize that spouting off in public is likely to go badly for them. They might think the people who react badly are wrong, or that most of America agrees with them but are too afraid/brainwashed to admit it, or something else equally stupid, but they don't generally act as if they fully expect everyone within earshot to be on their side. Especially when they turn it up to 11 like this idiot did.

Heck, even the Klan and the Illinois Nazis (whom I hate) generally don't go all in like this woman did anymore. I've got five bucks says if anyone contacts whatever's left of the Klan in the area this happened, they'd be sure to mention this woman is not in any way associated with them. Even they don't want this kind of PR.
Your ability to understand that your comments might be incendiary really depends upon the people with whom you surround yourself. One of my student workers just got back from a student trip abroad that included five other schools from various parts of our region. One school was from a small town in Minnesota. Several of the kids from that school made the MOST appalling racist comments -- not only in public, not only in front of their peers, but in front of peers who were people of color. They had no flicker of concern or self-consciousness. They were absolutely shocked when the other kids rose up in arms about their comments and when the tour guide leader told them to stop or they'd be sent home. They are not dumb kids. They are kids who not only believed what they were saying was acceptable, they truly believed they were correct. They also had never once had a personal experience in being told that saying the words out loud was wrong, let alone that the thinking was wrong. In 2013, racism is alive and well and "normal" depending upon where you live.

Pen^2

« Reply #21556 on: June 11, 2013, 10:56:59 PM »
Your ability to understand that your comments might be incendiary really depends upon the people with whom you surround yourself. One of my student workers just got back from a student trip abroad that included five other schools from various parts of our region. One school was from a small town in Minnesota. Several of the kids from that school made the MOST appalling racist comments -- not only in public, not only in front of their peers, but in front of peers who were people of color. They had no flicker of concern or self-consciousness. They were absolutely shocked when the other kids rose up in arms about their comments and when the tour guide leader told them to stop or they'd be sent home. They are not dumb kids. They are kids who not only believed what they were saying was acceptable, they truly believed they were correct. They also had never once had a personal experience in being told that saying the words out loud was wrong, let alone that the thinking was wrong. In 2013, racism is alive and well and "normal" depending upon where you live.

Yes... I once was teaching a year 8 maths class right after an assembly where there'd been a short bit about Amnesty International and asylum seekers. I was absolutely shocked at the kinds of venom these kids said, especially since they said these things as though they were making a casual comment about the weather. Due to the demographic of the school, these kids had almost all heard their parents make similar remarks, and thought they were fact. We spent ten minutes of that lesson getting a few basic things straight via Wiki and Google (how people can consider themselves experts enough to make judgements in a topic without having ever looked anything up is beyond me). They were very shocked to discover that most asylum seekers aren't actually evil terrorists. They also were pretty amazed to find out that the majority of illegal refugees in the part of the country we were in were actually young girls forced into the sex-trade who were staying against their wishes. It was a huge eye-opener for them.

These kids had just never heard any differently, and had no idea what they were saying was not only blatantly incorrect, but horrendously rude and disrespectful. I just hope that they'd never said any of that bile to an actual refugee.

So yeah... the hallmark of an enabled SS is someone who has spat these kinds of things out at others their whole life but has never been told that it is inappropriate. Of course, many other SSs will be have been told many times to keep these kinds of opinions to themselves, but they will decide that they know best anyway...

Jocelyn

« Reply #21557 on: June 11, 2013, 11:07:21 PM »
So yeah... the hallmark of an enabled SS is someone who has spat these kinds of things out at others their whole life but has never been told that it is inappropriate. Of course, many other SSs will be have been told many times to keep these kinds of opinions to themselves, but they will decide that they know best anyway...
And, alas, the Internet has enabled people to find like-minded bigots to chat with, so that they may assume that 'everyone' thinks like they do. I once had a man interrupt me and tell me that I secretly agreed with his very conservative political views, because 'everyone' believed that way. I was so shocked at being called a hypocrite to my face, that I didn't have the poise to say, 'Actually, I DO believe what I'm saying.' And I refrained from inquiring how his hostile opinions against the poor could possibly co-exist with his much-publicized religious views.  >:D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #21558 on: June 11, 2013, 11:47:11 PM »
50 sexist idiots who were happy to spout their venom in public.  (NSFW language)

(Short version: feminist blogger and media critic Anita Sarkeesian posted on Twitter that she was disappointed none of the 13 new game titles Microsoft announced yesterday featured any female characters.  Today she posted a 50-tweet sample of the vitriol she received in response.)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #21559 on: June 12, 2013, 12:38:58 AM »
What's interesting to me is that some of the comments she included are *not* sexist.  They just disagree with her.  Some of them do so while using nasty language, so yeah, those count.  But others don't use any nasty language, or don't use any terms they wouldn't call a guy, so I don't think that counts.  Some of them simply point out that not that many women play games, games with female protagonists don't sell as well, that if more women play there will be more games with female protagonists, that video games are not meant to be an agent of social change, and she's welcome to make her own game if she wants to.  However, she's right about many of them.  But then, the vitriol spewed by people online, whether male or female, and whether directed at males or females, has always astounded me.  I guess when people step behind the wheel of a car or sit down at the keyboard, they figure they're anonymous and they can let loose with whatever they want without recourse.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #21560 on: June 12, 2013, 02:43:49 AM »
Some of them simply point out that not that many women play games, games with female protagonists don't sell as well, that if more women play there will be more games with female protagonists

The video game market is, at this point, 47% female, if you are genuinely curious why the above commentary qualifies as 'sexism'.  It's the ignorant, dismissive, othering form of sexism rather than the blatant get back in the kitchen form, but it is still sexism.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21561 on: June 12, 2013, 05:25:53 AM »
50 sexist idiots who were happy to spout their venom in public.  (NSFW language)

(Short version: feminist blogger and media critic Anita Sarkeesian posted on Twitter that she was disappointed none of the 13 new game titles Microsoft announced yesterday featured any female characters.  Today she posted a 50-tweet sample of the vitriol she received in response.)

Unfortunately, the link wouldn't load. 

Carotte

« Reply #21562 on: June 12, 2013, 06:09:20 AM »
Some of them simply point out that not that many women play games, games with female protagonists don't sell as well, that if more women play there will be more games with female protagonists

The video game market is, at this point, 47% female, if you are genuinely curious why the above commentary qualifies as 'sexism'.  It's the ignorant, dismissive, othering form of sexism rather than the blatant get back in the kitchen form, but it is still sexism.

I read an article about sexism in the video game industry/world, made me literary sick to my stomach, I couldn't read it in one go and felt really bad afterward.
I probably could find it again but it was in french, and there's probably a lot of them in English anyway.
The way a vast majority (of those who makes themself heard*) act and talk is sick.

(*let's pretend that for a 100 players, 15 will talk or interact with other players, of those 15, 12 will be bigoted donkey behind who shouldn't be allowed near another human being until they learn better, so those 12% are the ones we hear about since they're the only ones making noise)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #21563 on: June 12, 2013, 06:09:48 AM »
A note about game with female protagonists and sales figures... such games generally get less than half the budget for production *and* marketing than games where your protagonist is at least ambiguous if not male.

Cami

« Reply #21564 on: June 12, 2013, 07:45:06 AM »

I read an article about sexism in the video game industry/world, made me literary sick to my stomach, I couldn't read it in one go and felt really bad afterward.
I probably could find it again but it was in french, and there's probably a lot of them in English anyway.
The way a vast majority (of those who makes themself heard*) act and talk is sick.

(*let's pretend that for a 100 players, 15 will talk or interact with other players, of those 15, 12 will be bigoted donkey behind who shouldn't be allowed near another human being until they learn better, so those 12% are the ones we hear about since they're the only ones making noise)
I read an article earlier in the week about sexism and sexual assault at gamer conventions that truly made me nauseous.

o_gal

« Reply #21565 on: June 12, 2013, 07:52:59 AM »
Can we get back to Special Snowflake stories? Heading into territory about racism and sexism is likely to get this awesome thread locked.

Reika

« Reply #21566 on: June 12, 2013, 09:39:10 AM »
Speaking of vulgar snowflakes...

Imagine, if you will, a three lane highway on one side in northern Florida. There's a 4th merge lane from a ramp up ahead. It's 6:30ish on a week night, so there's some traffic, but the rush hour is well over and plenty of space between vehicles. It's roughly sunset, but there's plenty of natural light to see by.

There's a bright blue Toyota Corolla cruising up the middle lane, it's going a few miles over the speed limit and both lanes to either side are clear of any other traffic, so all is peaceful.

Until the Vulgar Red SUV. Why is it vulgar? Well, you'll see in a moment.

Mom and I were on our way home from work, chatting about stuff until she says, "Hey Reika, take a look at the person behind us."

In the SUV behind us (and the only reason why I mention that is because the thing was huge) the woman driving is making shooing motions for us to go faster. There's still no cars to either side of us. So I semi-rhetorically ask, "So why doesn't she go around us?"

Mom just shakes her head and gestures for the SUV to go around, because at this point we're almost to the merge lane from the ramp getting onto the highway and there were some cars coming down the ramp. Thinking the SUV was going to pass us, we didn't go into the left lane, which was still clear.

Instead of passing,the driver starts waving her middle fingers at us. Not at the same time, but alternating hands. It was so ridiculous we just looked at each other and started laughing.

Finally realizing that we aren't going to move any faster or go anywhere else (why should we? she's the one who wants to go faster), the other driver finally passes us. On the right. Probably so we could see her waving the bird at us some more in the driver side window.

If she had started tailgating us, we would've done something else, but she was keeping a decent distance between our vehicles. It's been a week or so since that happened, but we still laugh about it because of how over the top it was.

Pen^2

« Reply #21567 on: June 12, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »
I had lunch at a foodcourt today, and it was pretty awesome (honey mustard Hamburg steak with corn and beansprouts: awesomnosity cranked up to 11).

It was fairly crowded and so different groups of people were sharing tables as is the norm. A businessman came up about half-way through my meal and stood next to me at my table, looking at the empty seat next to me, to me, to the seat, etc. without saying anything. I said, "yes, it's free," and went back to my plate of deliciousness. He remained standing, this time actively glaring. I had no idea if he wanted anything else, but figured if it bothered him that much then he would verbalise it, so I kept on eating. And if he didn't want anything else, then I privately wished him luck on his suddenly-inspired intense meditational voyage.

"Aren't you going to invite me to sit down?" he eventually growled. Apparently telling him the seat wasn't taken simply was not enough; he needed an active invitation. He wanted me to ask him to sit there, rather than him ask if he could sit. Weird.

I replied, not particularly politely but perfectly truthfully, "no, since it's not my chair to invite you into. I said it's free. It's not mine."

There followed a dramatic eye roll that somehow involved Yoga-esque movements rippling through his entire head, followed by the most reluctant display of sitting I've ever had the good fortune to witness. It was like the reaction one would expect from an emo teenager after you'd asked him to be a brony for a day.

Wherever you are, yoga-businessman, I hope you can someday find peace with Fluttershy. And that's how equestria was made. Amen.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #21568 on: June 12, 2013, 10:43:41 AM »
. . . He'd say "Yes, and would keep telling the story even if you indicated he'd already told it before! . . .
The other day my long-time handyman was helping me with a pool task and started explaining the pool circulation system to me as if I were a child.  I've lived here for 12 years and taught him the little bit he knows about pools.  First I gently said, "I know how the pool works, Jerry".  He kept talking, and I said it again.  After I had to say it a third time and he still kept going, I just walked away.  It was like he could not stop.

My FIL can be like this.  I had to make a minor repair to something once using wood glue and he gave me a 10 minute lecture on how to use glue. (I was about 30 at the time.  I'd used glue once or twice.)  It was early in our relationship, so I just did a lot of smiling and nodding.

He's also good for thinking he's the only one in the room.  I've turned on the oven to preheat it only to find he's turned it off "because someone left it on."  The other night, the kids and I were at the dining room table doing homework.  As he was passing through, he turned off the light.  When I got up to turn it back on, he said,  "Oh, were you using that?"  And I was in the living room folding laundry, watching a news program.  He had been in the LR a little while before watching the same new program.  I guess he thought that because *he* was done watching TV, so was I.  So he turned it off.

Not really SS but totally clueless.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21569 on: June 12, 2013, 11:01:35 AM »
Heading west on I-10 yesterday in Louisiana.

Little red sports car in the left lane of two suddenly veers right (in front of a line of three semis) to take off into the exit ramp (cutting over the solid white lines indicating that the exit ramp has been passed) - missing the guard rail and being hit by the lead semi by not very much.

If the sports car had been leaving a plume of exhaust, the lead semi would have been running into that just as the bumper cleared the space the semi needed to be in........

Scary - I was wondering if I was going to see three semis heading left & right to try to dodge each other AND a little red sports car.

Next stop, I mentioned it to the cashier....to find out that the guy in front of me had been the lead driver.....and he was still shaking over how close he'd come to crushing the little red sports car.....although he would have liked to have shaken the driver by the scruff of the neck, too.

Only thing in the world that there is truly no shortage of, people being SS, or just plain being thoughtless idjits.....sometimes they are the same thing.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?