Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5371705 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21570 on: June 12, 2013, 11:01:35 AM »
Heading west on I-10 yesterday in Louisiana.

Little red sports car in the left lane of two suddenly veers right (in front of a line of three semis) to take off into the exit ramp (cutting over the solid white lines indicating that the exit ramp has been passed) - missing the guard rail and being hit by the lead semi by not very much.

If the sports car had been leaving a plume of exhaust, the lead semi would have been running into that just as the bumper cleared the space the semi needed to be in........

Scary - I was wondering if I was going to see three semis heading left & right to try to dodge each other AND a little red sports car.

Next stop, I mentioned it to the cashier....to find out that the guy in front of me had been the lead driver.....and he was still shaking over how close he'd come to crushing the little red sports car.....although he would have liked to have shaken the driver by the scruff of the neck, too.

Only thing in the world that there is truly no shortage of, people being SS, or just plain being thoughtless idjits.....sometimes they are the same thing.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21571 on: June 12, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
I will nominate the person who ran over my boss.

Boss was going for a run at 4:30 in the morning. He crossed a road and the driver turned left right into him. Luckily he was okay and the driver was pretty shook up - I bet he will pay more attention in the wee hours of the morning from now on. It was a paper delivery person.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #21572 on: June 12, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »
It was like the reaction one would expect from an emo teenager after you'd asked him to be a brony for a day.

Wherever you are, yoga-businessman, I hope you can someday find peace with Fluttershy. And that's how equestria was made. Amen.

Hahaha, this made me giggle so much. My daughter's boyfriend's favorite is Pinkie Pie. Cause she has a party cannon. My daughter hangs out with him, and she's the 15 year old, 5 foot 3 inch goth girl wearing all black, pale, hair dyed blue-black, and he's the 15 year old, over six foot, and talking about Friendship is Magic.

They're freaking adorable.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Pen^2

« Reply #21573 on: June 12, 2013, 12:02:01 PM »
It was like the reaction one would expect from an emo teenager after you'd asked him to be a brony for a day.

Wherever you are, yoga-businessman, I hope you can someday find peace with Fluttershy. And that's how equestria was made. Amen.

Hahaha, this made me giggle so much. My daughter's boyfriend's favorite is Pinkie Pie. Cause she has a party cannon. My daughter hangs out with him, and she's the 15 year old, 5 foot 3 inch goth girl wearing all black, pale, hair dyed blue-black, and he's the 15 year old, over six foot, and talking about Friendship is Magic.

They're freaking adorable.

Holy hilarity, Batman! I nominate them for best couple ever. Seriously, that is flipping awesome. They can start a new über-niche subculture.

If they ever get married and have a themed wedding, then we all know the rapture is come upon us. Because frankly, after an emo/my little pony wedding, mankind will have nothing left to achieve on this earth.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #21574 on: June 12, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »

Boss was going for a run at 4:30 in the morning. He crossed a road and the driver turned left right into him. Luckily he was okay and the driver was pretty shook up - I bet he will pay more attention in the wee hours of the morning from now on. It was a paper delivery person.

This is why I always yield to traffic instead of assuming they see me, especially before dawn.

Amara

« Reply #21575 on: June 12, 2013, 12:49:11 PM »
I hadn't thought about it as special snowflake behavior until just now but it likely is. I started a job back at my old place (academia) but on a kind of satellite campus. Someone had been promised the job, but due to a particular reason I had priority once I applied. This has made for some unhappiness among several people, this "someone" in particular.

"Someone" is just being unpleasant and worse to me when our supervisor is not around. The past few days he/she has specialized in snotty remarks about my apparent lack of knowledge of ISBNs (International Book Standard Number, a unique identifier for every book issued that identifies that particular title/author/edition of said book) and even Word and Excel. The fact is I can run rings around this "someone" in these areas and more, and last night my decreasing patience led to me ranting to the cats with further unkind thoughts in my head. If this someone thinks he/she can run me out of here then said someone has a seriously misaligned head. Idiot!

mmswm

« Reply #21576 on: June 12, 2013, 12:51:27 PM »

Little red sports car in the left lane of two suddenly veers right (in front of a line of three semis) to take off into the exit ramp (cutting over the solid white lines indicating that the exit ramp has been passed) - missing the guard rail and being hit by the lead semi by not very much.

If the sports car had been leaving a plume of exhaust, the lead semi would have been running into that just as the bumper cleared the space the semi needed to be in........

Scary - I was wondering if I was going to see three semis heading left & right to try to dodge each other AND a little red sports car.

Next stop, I mentioned it to the cashier....to find out that the guy in front of me had been the lead driver.....and he was still shaking over how close he'd come to crushing the little red sports car.....although he would have liked to have shaken the driver by the scruff of the neck, too.

Only thing in the world that there is truly no shortage of, people being SS, or just plain being thoughtless idjits.....sometimes they are the same thing.

I've been seeing a man for a very short time now that's a long haul truck driver.  He's got a ton of stories similar to this.  It's astounding how many idiots will play chicken with semis. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21577 on: June 12, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »

This is why I always yield to traffic instead of assuming they see me, especially before dawn.

The driver was at a stop sign and my boss thought the driver saw him. I am thinking the driver did see him but it didn't actually hit him that that is a person there and you shouldn't turn.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21578 on: June 12, 2013, 01:40:15 PM »
I had lunch at a foodcourt today, and it was pretty awesome (honey mustard Hamburg steak with corn and beansprouts: awesomnosity cranked up to 11).

It was fairly crowded and so different groups of people were sharing tables as is the norm. A businessman came up about half-way through my meal and stood next to me at my table, looking at the empty seat next to me, to me, to the seat, etc. without saying anything. I said, "yes, it's free," and went back to my plate of deliciousness. He remained standing, this time actively glaring. I had no idea if he wanted anything else, but figured if it bothered him that much then he would verbalise it, so I kept on eating. And if he didn't want anything else, then I privately wished him luck on his suddenly-inspired intense meditational voyage.

"Aren't you going to invite me to sit down?" he eventually growled. Apparently telling him the seat wasn't taken simply was not enough; he needed an active invitation. He wanted me to ask him to sit there, rather than him ask if he could sit. Weird.

I replied, not particularly politely but perfectly truthfully, "no, since it's not my chair to invite you into. I said it's free. It's not mine."

There followed a dramatic eye roll that somehow involved Yoga-esque movements rippling through his entire head, followed by the most reluctant display of sitting I've ever had the good fortune to witness. It was like the reaction one would expect from an emo teenager after you'd asked him to be a brony for a day.

Your post made me laugh!  Boy if that's not a candidate for a Pinkie-vention, I don't know who is! My husband loves Pinkie and as much as I tease him for being a Brony it's really been a godsend because now I know what to get him for holidays.  It's not like I don't know what he likes but he's the sort who, if he sees something he wants he'll buy it for himself.  My first gift ever to him was the soundtrack of Riverdance.  He'd already bought it for himself.  ::)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #21579 on: June 12, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
It was a paper delivery person.

Yikes!  I used to deliver papers a few years ago, and I can attest to the fact that when it's 4:30 a.m., you kinda assume you're the only one on the road.   That doesn't excuse the driver, of course.  I'm glad your boss is okay!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21580 on: June 12, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »
Here's a NSFW snowflake.  :o

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/taylor-chapman-dunkin-donuts-viral-video-856341

The most amazing part, to me, is that this idiot apparently thought everyone in the world would be on her side when the video hit the web. The Dunkin Donuts worker may - or may not, let's be honest - have forgotten to give her her receipt, which gives her a minor but legitimate gripe. But in her mind it justified a vile, racist rant and she honestly thought she'd be the hero of the recording. Who thinks like that?

Idiots.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

HorseFreak

« Reply #21581 on: June 12, 2013, 03:00:47 PM »
I nominate my boss. My job requires being on call evenings and weekends to cover emergencies as well as working Saturday mornings (the Saturday schedule is completely her decision to have as the business owner). Being the only two people at our level we split these more or less 50/50 and my contract specifies I will work "1-2 Saturdays per month." This month due to one of her kids' commitments she scheduled me to work 4 out of 5 Saturdays and 2/3 of the on call. I whined to a friend, but gritted my teeth and went along with it. I have been on call two weeks straight with VERY demanding clients and I'm completely exhausted.

Apparently my boss asked the manager who does the day-to-day running of the business (VERY small business) whether she thought I would be willing to cover that fifth Saturday this month so she could do some extra activities for her kid's activity. That would mean being on call all but 10 days this month plus give up every single Saturday. Thankfully our manager told him I have plans, but she's still completely clueless. The same boss also asked if I would be willing to do 24/7 100% on call when our other employee quit since she had to take over her shifts until she bothered to hire someone else. My manager also shot that down. To put on call in perspective last weekend I worked Saturday 9-1, then an emergency in the evening, then hardly had a chance to eat on Sunday from 7 am until 1 am due to emergencies.

My manager isn't perfect, however. I requested some time off over an upcoming holiday. I asked for a total of vacation days left which he calculated including the weekends as vacation days since I "might have been scheduled that weekend." I had to point out every time I was away I worked double on call and lost my normal day off every other week so he actually owed me more than he thought (not to mention killing myself this month with no expected equivalent time off). He huffed, but wrote me in for the time off like it was a huge favor to schedule around. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21582 on: June 12, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »

I've been seeing a man for a very short time now that's a long haul truck driver.  He's got a ton of stories similar to this.  It's astounding how many idiots will play chicken with semis. 

My brother used to be a long haul driver - played dodgeball with too many SS and the insurance company refused to insure him (he laid down his load at least once to prevent deaths in the cars ahead of him when his load would have turned into so many steel spears if he hadn't deliberately "crashed" into the median) - but his company kept him on as the dispatcher.  He KNOWS what his drivers are up against in the "real world".  He's been there.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #21583 on: June 12, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
This happened before I was born: One of my cousins had a ~quirky~ girlfriend ( ::)) for a while. My parents invited them over to dinner. Mom had made a cake and frosting completely from scratch. The girlfriend picked up a bottle of ketchup and decided it would be a hilarious prank to dump ketchup all over the cake. She was told by all three not to do it, but didn't want to relent; the only reason she gave up was because Mom said "I spent a lot of time and money on that cake. If you ruin it with ketchup, you will either sit here and eat the entire thing or fork over money right now to pay me back. What's it gonna be ?"

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21584 on: June 12, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
This happened before I was born: One of my cousins had a ~quirky~ girlfriend ( ::)) for a while. My parents invited them over to dinner. Mom had made a cake and frosting completely from scratch. The girlfriend picked up a bottle of ketchup and decided it would be a hilarious prank to dump ketchup all over the cake. She was told by all three not to do it, but didn't want to relent; the only reason she gave up was because Mom said "I spent a lot of time and money on that cake. If you ruin it with ketchup, you will either sit here and eat the entire thing or fork over money right now to pay me back. What's it gonna be ?"

Who DOES something like that, or even thinks of doing it? Good for your mom.