Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5298421 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21585 on: June 12, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
This happened before I was born: One of my cousins had a ~quirky~ girlfriend ( ::)) for a while. My parents invited them over to dinner. Mom had made a cake and frosting completely from scratch. The girlfriend picked up a bottle of ketchup and decided it would be a hilarious prank to dump ketchup all over the cake. She was told by all three not to do it, but didn't want to relent; the only reason she gave up was because Mom said "I spent a lot of time and money on that cake. If you ruin it with ketchup, you will either sit here and eat the entire thing or fork over money right now to pay me back. What's it gonna be ?"

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21586 on: June 12, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »
This happened before I was born: One of my cousins had a ~quirky~ girlfriend ( ::)) for a while. My parents invited them over to dinner. Mom had made a cake and frosting completely from scratch. The girlfriend picked up a bottle of ketchup and decided it would be a hilarious prank to dump ketchup all over the cake. She was told by all three not to do it, but didn't want to relent; the only reason she gave up was because Mom said "I spent a lot of time and money on that cake. If you ruin it with ketchup, you will either sit here and eat the entire thing or fork over money right now to pay me back. What's it gonna be ?"

Who DOES something like that, or even thinks of doing it? Good for your mom.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #21587 on: June 12, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »

All hail Mom!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog (M); Magpie (M); Zuul (F); Nazgul (F)

NyaChan

« Reply #21588 on: June 12, 2013, 03:19:20 PM »

Who DOES something like that, or even thinks of doing it? Good for your mom.

How is that a prank?  A prank would be if she somehow tricked everyone into THINKING that she had accidentally dropped ketchup on it, not actually and purposefully ruining the cake!

Shalamar

« Reply #21589 on: June 12, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »
Good grief.  That reminds me of when I thought it would be funny to pour milk into my chicken noodle soup - my mother said "Ha ha, hilarious.  You're going to eat every mouthful of that."  It was disgusting!

I was six, however.  I'm guessing this girlfriend was a bit older than that and should have known better.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #21590 on: June 12, 2013, 03:49:57 PM »
I will nominate the person who ran over my boss.

Boss was going for a run at 4:30 in the morning. He crossed a road and the driver turned left right into him. Luckily he was okay and the driver was pretty shook up - I bet he will pay more attention in the wee hours of the morning from now on. It was a paper delivery person.

This is why I always yield to traffic instead of assuming they see me, especially before dawn.

The driver was at a stop sign and my boss thought the driver saw him. I am thinking the driver did see him but it didn't actually hit him that that is a person there and you shouldn't turn.

I totally understand. When you're out that early, everybody assumes they're the only ones on the road. Even at a stop sign, I won't cross until the car goes through or they wave or something to let me know they see me. I'm really glad your boss is ok and I'm sure that driver will be way more attentive in the future.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #21591 on: June 12, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »
Sis is being a SS about Father's Day. She doesn't want to do Saturday nights for dinner, it has to be Sunday. But between my family and Dad, we're in church all day. And Dad has a standing family dinner with his girlfriend, her kids, and us kids. Sis also doesn't want to do dinner with GF's kids.

Dad really wants this dinner to happen, he's asked me to organize it so we can go through old family photos. I finally got everyone to agree, we set a time and agreed on Father's Day, which took about a month and a half of negotiation to settle on.

Today Sis called wanting to change the plan from dinner at my house (which was originally dinner at Dad's, but was changed because one of GF's sons is staying with Dad til he finds a place). Now Sis wants to go out to eat. Nope, not going to happen. We try to avoid going out on Sundays, as does Dad. I told Sis that won't work, but I can make anything, what did she want? All she wants is to go to a restaurant. I told her I'm not going to a restaurant on Sunday, but if she wants to organize another dinner, I'd be happy to come. She got upset and snippy with me, and asked what's wrong with Sunday. For the third time I told her that we don't go out on Sundays. Sis flew off the handle, called it "BS" and said that she knows we don't just stay at home every Sunday. That's stupid. I told her we keep the Sabbath, and she said "well, that doesn't matter to me." Told her again that she's welcome to come over Sunday at x o'clock, and if she wants to make plans for another day, let me know and I'll be there if I can.

Sis hung up on me. I think she won't be there on Sunday. It's fine if she doesn't feel comfortable with GF and her kids, Sis has to come to terms with Dad's new family members on her own terms. And if this was a one off, I would be much more sympathetic. But it's her nature to throw tantrums and demand that everyone conforms to whatever she wants whenever she wants it.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #21592 on: June 12, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »
That reminds me of when I thought it would be funny to pour milk into my chicken noodle soup - my mother said "Ha ha, hilarious.  You're going to eat every mouthful of that."  It was disgusting!
I love to make "creamy chicken noodle soup" using condensed chicken noodle soup (in the can) and diluting it with milk instead of water.  I give it a couple good grinds of fresh black pepper to perk it up and a dab of butter for extra richness.  "Regular" chicken noodle soup diluted with water now tastes "thin" to me.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #21593 on: June 12, 2013, 05:14:01 PM »
That reminds me of when I thought it would be funny to pour milk into my chicken noodle soup - my mother said "Ha ha, hilarious.  You're going to eat every mouthful of that."  It was disgusting!
I love to make "creamy chicken noodle soup" using condensed chicken noodle soup (in the can) and diluting it with milk instead of water.  I give it a couple good grinds of fresh black pepper to perk it up and a dab of butter for extra richness.  "Regular" chicken noodle soup diluted with water now tastes "thin" to me.

I use milk for Cream of Chicken soup... I love it thick.  :)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21594 on: June 12, 2013, 11:17:20 PM »
I had not 1 but 2 within 3 miles on the highway tonight going to my dance classes.  The first was a guy who just decided to merge suddenly into my lane since the car in front of him wasn't going fast enough.  Luckily there was no one to my right as I had to swerve into that lane and almost lost control of my car.  I seriously thought I was going to flip over for a minute. 

The second happened just a bit down the road.  The left lane merges onto another highway, the middle lane splits and goes either left to the new highway or straight on the same highway.  I was in the middle lane bearing to the left, when suddenly the car in the far left lane realized they were going the wrong way and simply started merging into my lane.  Luckily there was still some median and no one to my right so I could swerve over AGAIN.  I had to pull over and just put my head down, I was shaking so bad. 

Grrr stupid stupid people

BarensMom

« Reply #21595 on: June 13, 2013, 02:24:59 AM »
I heard this on the radio today:

Here in SF, kids are now kicking out the back doors of moving Muni buses and jumping out.   At first, Muni thought it was just one or two people missing their stop, but it has apparently become a fad. 

Every time someone does this, the bus has to drop off the other passengers and be taken immediately out of service for inspection/repair. 

Cami

« Reply #21596 on: June 13, 2013, 07:45:35 AM »

Here in SF, kids are now kicking out the back doors of moving Muni buses and jumping out.   At first, Muni thought it was just one or two people missing their stop, but it has apparently become a fad. 

Every time someone does this, the bus has to drop off the other passengers and be taken immediately out of service for inspection/repair.
I'm thinking natural selection will take care of this problem soon enough.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #21597 on: June 13, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »
This is really not a special snowflake, but an "exchange that makes your brain hurt."  But since they closed that thread, I don't know where to put it!  We've been looking on craigslist for some new appliances, and my husband went to pick up a dishwasher last night.  He asked the woman a few questions about it.  She said that she was getting rid of it because it was too loud and noisy, she wanted a quieter one.  As he continued to ask questions about the functions, he asked if it had a delay option (so that you can, for instance, run it overnight while the household is sleeping).  "Oh, yes," she said, "But we've never had any reason to use that."

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #21598 on: June 13, 2013, 11:33:09 AM »
This is really not a special snowflake, but an "exchange that makes your brain hurt."  But since they closed that thread, I don't know where to put it!  We've been looking on craigslist for some new appliances, and my husband went to pick up a dishwasher last night.  He asked the woman a few questions about it.  She said that she was getting rid of it because it was too loud and noisy, she wanted a quieter one.  As he continued to ask questions about the functions, he asked if it had a delay option (so that you can, for instance, run it overnight while the household is sleeping).  "Oh, yes," she said, "But we've never had any reason to use that."

Maybe it's too noisy to sleep through?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #21599 on: June 13, 2013, 01:40:48 PM »

I'm thinking natural selection will take care of this problem soon enough.
Not soon enough; Not certain enough.  :P
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius