News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 31, 2015, 11:30:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6737118 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21585 on: June 12, 2013, 04:11:12 PM »
That reminds me of when I thought it would be funny to pour milk into my chicken noodle soup - my mother said "Ha ha, hilarious.  You're going to eat every mouthful of that."  It was disgusting!
I love to make "creamy chicken noodle soup" using condensed chicken noodle soup (in the can) and diluting it with milk instead of water.  I give it a couple good grinds of fresh black pepper to perk it up and a dab of butter for extra richness.  "Regular" chicken noodle soup diluted with water now tastes "thin" to me.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Diane AKA Traska

• Super Hero!
  • Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #21586 on: June 12, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »
That reminds me of when I thought it would be funny to pour milk into my chicken noodle soup - my mother said "Ha ha, hilarious.  You're going to eat every mouthful of that."  It was disgusting!
I love to make "creamy chicken noodle soup" using condensed chicken noodle soup (in the can) and diluting it with milk instead of water.  I give it a couple good grinds of fresh black pepper to perk it up and a dab of butter for extra richness.  "Regular" chicken noodle soup diluted with water now tastes "thin" to me.

I use milk for Cream of Chicken soup... I love it thick.  :)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21587 on: June 12, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »
I had not 1 but 2 within 3 miles on the highway tonight going to my dance classes.  The first was a guy who just decided to merge suddenly into my lane since the car in front of him wasn't going fast enough.  Luckily there was no one to my right as I had to swerve into that lane and almost lost control of my car.  I seriously thought I was going to flip over for a minute. 

The second happened just a bit down the road.  The left lane merges onto another highway, the middle lane splits and goes either left to the new highway or straight on the same highway.  I was in the middle lane bearing to the left, when suddenly the car in the far left lane realized they were going the wrong way and simply started merging into my lane.  Luckily there was still some median and no one to my right so I could swerve over AGAIN.  I had to pull over and just put my head down, I was shaking so bad. 

Grrr stupid stupid people
Maryland

BarensMom

« Reply #21588 on: June 13, 2013, 01:24:59 AM »
I heard this on the radio today:

Here in SF, kids are now kicking out the back doors of moving Muni buses and jumping out.   At first, Muni thought it was just one or two people missing their stop, but it has apparently become a fad. 

Every time someone does this, the bus has to drop off the other passengers and be taken immediately out of service for inspection/repair. 

Cami

« Reply #21589 on: June 13, 2013, 06:45:35 AM »

Here in SF, kids are now kicking out the back doors of moving Muni buses and jumping out.   At first, Muni thought it was just one or two people missing their stop, but it has apparently become a fad. 

Every time someone does this, the bus has to drop off the other passengers and be taken immediately out of service for inspection/repair.
I'm thinking natural selection will take care of this problem soon enough.

MommyPenguin

• Super Hero!
    • My blog!
« Reply #21590 on: June 13, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »
This is really not a special snowflake, but an "exchange that makes your brain hurt."  But since they closed that thread, I don't know where to put it!  We've been looking on craigslist for some new appliances, and my husband went to pick up a dishwasher last night.  He asked the woman a few questions about it.  She said that she was getting rid of it because it was too loud and noisy, she wanted a quieter one.  As he continued to ask questions about the functions, he asked if it had a delay option (so that you can, for instance, run it overnight while the household is sleeping).  "Oh, yes," she said, "But we've never had any reason to use that."
Emily is 8 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 6 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 5 years old!  8/10
Megan is 2 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 4 months old!  12/14

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #21591 on: June 13, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »
This is really not a special snowflake, but an "exchange that makes your brain hurt."  But since they closed that thread, I don't know where to put it!  We've been looking on craigslist for some new appliances, and my husband went to pick up a dishwasher last night.  He asked the woman a few questions about it.  She said that she was getting rid of it because it was too loud and noisy, she wanted a quieter one.  As he continued to ask questions about the functions, he asked if it had a delay option (so that you can, for instance, run it overnight while the household is sleeping).  "Oh, yes," she said, "But we've never had any reason to use that."

Maybe it's too noisy to sleep through?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #21592 on: June 13, 2013, 12:40:48 PM »

I'm thinking natural selection will take care of this problem soon enough.
Not soon enough; Not certain enough.  :P
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

MommyPenguin

• Super Hero!
    • My blog!
« Reply #21593 on: June 13, 2013, 01:22:14 PM »

Maybe it's too noisy to sleep through?

Possibly, but from my understanding, it just seemed to my husband like they'd never even thought about trying to run it when everybody is sleeping in another part of the house.  It hadn't even occurred to them at all.  Anyway, their loss was our gain, new dishwasher for $50!
Emily is 8 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 6 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 5 years old!  8/10
Megan is 2 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 4 months old!  12/14

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #21594 on: June 13, 2013, 01:24:14 PM »
I've never used the delay feature on my dishwasher, I'm not sure why that would make anyone's brain hurt.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #21595 on: June 13, 2013, 02:00:14 PM »
I can sort of understand it - I prefer not to use the delay feature on the dishwasher in THIS house - it is so far from the hot water heater that I would not be sure that it was getting water hot enough to dissolve the soap (and crud) completely.  The heated dry cycle might leave things "sterile" but with a bit of semi-dissolved soap still on them...(two story house with water heater in attic).

I go in and run the water in the kitchen sink long enough to get HOT water going (and do the hand dishes in the resulting sink of hot water - just add dish soap) - then start the dishwasher. 

We used to have a house with the water heater much closer to the kitchen (laundry room off the kitchen & breakfast nook) - and I did use the delay feature on it during the summer (not the winter - too cold - it froze too often & I didn't want to risk the drain pipe freezing, it was not just the issue of HOT water getting to the dishwasher).

I've also lived in one house with TWO hot water heaters - the kids' bathroom was on the far side of the house and we'd just moved out of an apartment with ONE small hot water heater & two people showering before work or school.  The plumber was happy NOT having to run 10 meters/over 30 feet of pipe across the whole house (heater in attic over garage - raised area over high ceiling in living room with no access after the sheet rock was put up for future repairs) and just set up a second, smaller hot water heater over the one bathroom.  The thermostat was adjusted to allow for a five year old not being scalded when we moved in......

They might not have used the delay feature, not because of noise, but because they wanted to make sure that the dishwasher ran with the hottest possible water, for cleaning purposes.  The dishwasher might have "come with the house" and it took a while to save up for a more expensive (where "quiet" is one of the features) model.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:31:16 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21596 on: June 13, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »
I've never used the delay feature on my dishwasher, I'm not sure why that would make anyone's brain hurt.

It's because the dishwasher's previous owners complained that it was too noisy to run.  Running it in the middle of the night where it is (presumably) away from the bedrooms would mean they wouldn't have to listen to it run.  That's what's brain hurty about it.  They had the ability to solve the problem all alone.

perpetua

« Reply #21597 on: June 13, 2013, 02:11:23 PM »

It's because the dishwasher's previous owners complained that it was too noisy to run.  Running it in the middle of the night where it is (presumably) away from the bedrooms would mean they wouldn't have to listen to it run.  That's what's brain hurty about it.  They had the ability to solve the problem all alone.

Or the noise would wake them up, hence why they've never used it. I don't see what's brain hurty about this.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21598 on: June 13, 2013, 02:14:17 PM »

Or the noise would wake them up, hence why they've never used it. I don't see what's brain hurty about this.

According to the OP, it seemed as if it never even occurred to them to run it at night.  Not that they'd tried it and it made too much noise.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21599 on: June 13, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »

According to the OP, it seemed as if it never even occurred to them to run it at night.  Not that they'd tried it and it made too much noise.

Or maybe it didn't occur to them because they have been in their bedrooms when the machine was running in the day time and so they knew it made too much noise to sleep through.