Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5080673 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21660 on: June 16, 2013, 09:37:26 PM »
...   And this is how Cousin Jason ended up sleeping on the pull out couch in the bridal suite-- crashing in the room the bride and groom had booked for their honeymoon night. Ugh. What a lovely memory for the happy couple. Waking up on their first morning as man and wife, and having a relation sprawled out asleep just across the room.  ::)

:o  :o :o  How the heck did he get in? 

I'm pretty confident that if I had been the bride, you'd have been reading headlines the next morning:  "Irate Bride Murders Sleeping Cousin"

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21661 on: June 16, 2013, 09:38:47 PM »
Yes the old garage sale SS's.  Who think their being very clever and daring by behaving as a pumpkin to get that extra saving they can rave about.  When I married my dh we ended up with 2 washing machines, so we decided to sell his and keep my newer one.  I just wanted it gone so I posted it in the paper for $80, great price for a 2nd hand machine that even students could purchase it.

In comes SS she thinks she will hardball me and scoop it up for a bargain on behalf of her son.  Claimed the hoses at the back were cut off and it didn't work.  I ensured her the hoses were not cut off that is how they are, and the machine works fine (it was clear where she was headed).  She demanded to see it in action very rudely, so I got out the extension cord to show her it's working state.  She then demanded to buy it cheaper as it's obviously been used and why were we selling it.  At that point I just inform her the price is the price I stated, and that it's no longer available for her to buy good day. 

While she was gaping another car pulled up and another lady came on behalf of her child, who was moving out for the first time.  She was pleasant to deal with and wanted to purchase it straight away, so done deal.  She had the money out and paid me and we loaded it into her car.  The first lady just spluttered and informed me that she was first and should get it.  I informed her I can sell to whomever I please and had already asked her to leave my property, have a pleasant day.

Sold a pair of baby swings (needed repairs - I had the parts order sheet with them) to a lady buying them for her church nursery (building in construction for at least two months) while the guy with twins was still "negotiating" a reduced price "since they didn't work".  Well - his twins would be older, larger, and all that by the time the parts came in - the church nursery wasn't going to be ready for babies to use the swings for at least two months - I was happy with the asking price & she was happy to find two baby swings for half price (even after she ordered the parts - price was cheaper for TWO than just one replacement part). 

Guy with twins at home had to keep looking.....those twins are over 25 by now....wonder if their Dad still remembers the "swings that got away"?  I'm pretty sure the swings in the church nursery have had to be replaced by now.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21662 on: June 16, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »
A very bratty SS of about 19 walked up to my sample table on her cellphone. She eyeballed the tray, commented "Ugh, that looks awful. Yuck" & then made some more snotty remarks into her phone. I said "Pardon me ?", even though I wanted to say something much ruder. SS said "I said, that looks awful." At least her companion had enough sense to say "That was rude :( Sorry about her. Can I have one, please"
Hey, if the sample doesn't look appetizing, DON'T TAKE ONE!  How hard is that to understand?  If the sample lady has said "Would you like to try our deep-fried peacock tongues?", just say "No, thank you." Geez.  ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #21663 on: June 16, 2013, 10:20:40 PM »
...   And this is how Cousin Jason ended up sleeping on the pull out couch in the bridal suite-- crashing in the room the bride and groom had booked for their honeymoon night. Ugh. What a lovely memory for the happy couple. Waking up on their first morning as man and wife, and having a relation sprawled out asleep just across the room.  ::)

:o  :o :o  How the heck did he get in? 

I'm pretty confident that if I had been the bride, you'd have been reading headlines the next morning:  "Irate Bride Murders Sleeping Cousin"

You and me both, Grandma.  I had a relative give me a hard time about the fact that there were no hotels in the town where I lived.  I told her, "If you'd have let me know you were coming (she hadn't) I could have made arrangements at the same hotel in Nearby Town that other family members are staying at.  But since you didn't-"  and gave her directions.  I didn't want her to get upset and leave, as she'd brought my grandpa and it turned out to be the last time I saw him before he died, but after that I didn't get any more grief from her. 

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21664 on: June 17, 2013, 12:26:20 AM »
Please, people! Let's get back to stories of Special Snowflakes!

I counted, yes, I did.

On this page, so far, there are 11 posts (well, 12 now), and only one SS story.
On the previous two pages, each one has 15 posts, and each has only one SS story.

One of these days, this and the PD thread are going to get shut down because of our inability to stay on topic.

I'm begging, y'all. I love both threads - at least, I used to.  :'(

If you are concerned about the direction of a thread, click the notify mod button. Your post comes off as scolding, and I doubt anyone appreciates that.. A gentle "can we get back on track" is cool, too, but that's it.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Addy

« Reply #21665 on: June 17, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »
A very bratty SS of about 19 walked up to my sample table on her cellphone. She eyeballed the tray, commented "Ugh, that looks awful. Yuck" & then made some more snotty remarks into her phone. I said "Pardon me ?", even though I wanted to say something much ruder. SS said "I said, that looks awful." At least her companion had enough sense to say "That was rude :( Sorry about her. Can I have one, please"
Hey, if the sample doesn't look appetizing, DON'T TAKE ONE!  How hard is that to understand?  If the sample lady has said "Would you like to try our deep-fried peacock tongues?", just say "No, thank you." Geez.  ::)

You know, if somebody offered me that, I really think I would have to try one.  ;D

nuit93

« Reply #21666 on: June 17, 2013, 12:39:18 AM »

You know, if somebody offered me that, I really think I would have to try one.  ;D

I think I would too.  Just so I could say I had.

Bluenomi

« Reply #21667 on: June 17, 2013, 01:37:49 AM »
Aside from the awfulness of what she said, why do all stories about SS waiting to see obstetricians always involve them declaring "I'm pregnant" in a room full of pregnant women?  I suppose being a SS makes them totally blind to all the other bumps in the room because no-one else features in their world.

Exactly why I turned down a transfer to OB/GYN.  I was also offered one to Pediatrics; not going there, either.  (I found out that after I resigned from my job and moved out of state the job I'd been doing was eliminated.  That's why I was getting all these offers for lateral transfers.  But they couldn't pay me enough to work for either OB/GYN or Pediatrics.  People who work in both of those places and love it are very special, but I don't work well with the public and even less well with Special Snowflakes.)

I tihnk that is a wise move. Some of the things I've seen in my OB's office are very SS like. Thankfully he has awesome reception staff who are very good at making it clear that his clients in labour come first while still being polite and calm.

And you know the woman who demand their appointment be on time and that the OB should leave the birth he is attending for it are also the ones who will expect him to be at their side every minute of their labour!

PeterM

« Reply #21668 on: June 17, 2013, 04:03:16 AM »
Starting with the people who knocked on the door to our house at 6:30 a.m. demanding that we open the sale up immediately!  The sale time was 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and this was posted in the newspaper ad.  My spouse told them no and they threatened (promised we hoped!)  :) to not come back.  Which was fine with both us.

Has anyone ever asked someone who makes that "I'll take my business elsewhere!" or "I won't be back!" statement why exactly they think they're important enough that anyone in the world would care? I'd be curious to hear the answer, though I imagine it'd really come down to the usual boring arrogance. I've always been either an uninvolved bystander or working when I've heard it, so I've never been able to ask.

Sale was open all of five minutes and a person came with a set of salt and pepper shakers priced at $1.00 and asked if I would take a quarter for them.  I told him no, that the sale had hardly started and I wasn't doing any discounts now, but that he could stop back later on this morning and try again if he wanted. 

He then told me he couldn't do that because they would probably be gone by then. 

Good lord. And I'm guessing there wasn't even a smidgen of shame or self-awareness to go with that pronouncement.

Then there was the guy who showed up about 15 minutes into the sale with a 100 dollar bill and wanted to buy a one dollar item.  While I had change, I didn't have change for that much money that early in the morning.  He asked me where he was supposed to get change for the other garage sales and I suggested that he stop at the local Quik Mart and ask them.  He did manage to find a dollar bill to pay for the item.

The hundred dollar bill nitwits can be the bane of my existence at the library. They get one or more hundred dollar bills and then as far as I can tell their first reaction is that they must immediately come to the library to pay their 75 cent overdue fee. We'll take it if we can manage to give change without too much hassle, but some of them get a bunch of fives, ones and even quarters back. The ones who insist, at least. If we don't have enough tens and twenties, most of the people who "only have a hundred" will miraculously manage to come up with something smaller.

I've had more than one person tell me that their bank gave them the hundred and they just want to break it. Why they didn't request smaller bills from, say, the person who gave them the hundred, who works in the big building full of money, I have no idea. I've never been able to think of a way to ask that wouldn't sound like I was calling the patron a nimrod.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21669 on: June 17, 2013, 08:07:03 AM »
Has anyone ever asked someone who makes that "I'll take my business elsewhere!" or "I won't be back!" statement why exactly they think they're important enough that anyone in the world would care? I'd be curious to hear the answer, though I imagine it'd really come down to the usual boring arrogance. I've always been either an uninvolved bystander or working when I've heard it, so I've never been able to ask.

I've said it, actually. Not because I think my business alone is important enough to matter -- just the opposite, actually. No one's ever going to notice if Shopper X or Shopper Y just stop shopping at the store. They won't know if it's because of some policy the shopper hates, because they moved somewhere else, or whatever. So if there's ever a policy or behavior that's honestly bad enough to make me not willing to shop at that store again, I figure the best thing to do is inform the store exactly that. If you never tell them, they'll have no idea it's because of the policy, and if enough people leave because of it, maybe they'll change it.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #21670 on: June 17, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
I've had more than one person tell me that their bank gave them the hundred and they just want to break it. Why they didn't request smaller bills from, say, the person who gave them the hundred, who works in the big building full of money, I have no idea. I've never been able to think of a way to ask that wouldn't sound like I was calling the patron a nimrod.

You know, I remember reading this (in the converse) as a suggested negotiating tactic for people buying at yard sales - tell them you 'only have' a $5 and a $100 bill, and will they take $5 for this thing they have marked $10 so they won't have to break the $100?

Sadly, I've also seen it work.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21671 on: June 17, 2013, 08:25:44 AM »
PeterM wrote:

"Has anyone ever asked someone who makes that "I'll take my business elsewhere!" or "I won't be back!" statement why exactly they think they're important enough that anyone in the world would care? I'd be curious to hear the answer, though I imagine it'd really come down to the usual boring arrogance. I've always been either an uninvolved bystander or working when I've heard it, so I've never been able to ask."

In a situation where repeat business is an issue, like a restaurant or store, I find such a statement to be more reasonable because it can indeed matter to the business why someone is choosing not to return.  It's often said in a heated moment, but it does carry a certain sense to pay attention to the statement in case there's something about the business that's driving away customers.  It's at the garage sale, where repeat business is functionally irrelevant, that the person so stating comes off looking like a fool, and so if I ever felt the need to comment on the statement in that scenario that's the angle I'd address.

Virg

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21672 on: June 17, 2013, 09:18:07 AM »
Remember the co-worker who sent me texts late at night, waking me up?

Well, I'd turned my text tone off when I went to bed the other night..only to be jolted awake by my phone ringing at 12:15 a.m. It was co-worker...because I "hadn't answered her texts" that she'd sent me at 11:30 p.m. These were not work related texts, BTW, and nothing important.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21673 on: June 17, 2013, 09:19:41 AM »

I don't get either. MY bank will ask me how I want my money, each and every time. But if not, I'd certainly ask them NOT to give me large bills. Not really all that difficult.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #21674 on: June 17, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »
Remember the co-worker who sent me texts late at night, waking me up?

Well, I'd turned my text tone off when I went to bed the other night..only to be jolted awake by my phone ringing at 12:15 a.m. It was co-worker...because I "hadn't answered her texts" that she'd sent me at 11:30 p.m. These were not work related texts, BTW, and nothing important.

Well, if coworker isn't asleep, then of course no one else in the world is asleep.  Who the heck does their sleeping at night anyway?  You should really be more considerate.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.