Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4399533 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21675 on: June 17, 2013, 09:40:36 AM »

I've had more than one person tell me that their bank gave them the hundred and they just want to break it. Why they didn't request smaller bills from, say, the person who gave them the hundred, who works in the big building full of money, I have no idea. I've never been able to think of a way to ask that wouldn't sound like I was calling the patron a nimrod.

My credit union is willing to give me my cash in whatever form I please, be it fifties or rolls of quarters. I think they're hoping you'll say, "Well, since we can't give you change we can waive the fine."
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #21676 on: June 17, 2013, 09:47:06 AM »
Reminds me of when we went to the zoo in San Diego and two baboons started doing like they do on the Discovery Channel and this little girl goes "Mommy, they're hugging!"

I was at the local zoo at the big cats exhibit, and one of the cats was a rather, umm.....large hanging male who was pacing in front of us. He turned toward the back of the enclosure, (most definitely a he!), and the 6-7ish little girl girl beside me said to her mom, "Look Mommy! He's a girl!!" 

I walked away at that point...  ;D
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21677 on: June 17, 2013, 09:55:22 AM »
I've had more than one person tell me that their bank gave them the hundred and they just want to break it. Why they didn't request smaller bills from, say, the person who gave them the hundred, who works in the big building full of money, I have no idea. I've never been able to think of a way to ask that wouldn't sound like I was calling the patron a nimrod.

You know, I remember reading this (in the converse) as a suggested negotiating tactic for people buying at yard sales - tell them you 'only have' a $5 and a $100 bill, and will they take $5 for this thing they have marked $10 so they won't have to break the $100?

Sadly, I've also seen it work.

I saw this happen once at a neighbor's yard sale.  The person showed up and claimed to have only a $100 bill.  My neighbor looked her right in the eye and said "You didn't KNOW you were coming to a yard sale?"

However, Lady Big Bucks eventually found something she really, really wanted.  Then an amazing thing happened.   She managed to "find" a few smaller bills she'd 'forgotten' about tucked away in one of the pockets of her purse.  Imagine that!  A miracle!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21678 on: June 17, 2013, 10:01:27 AM »
Remember the co-worker who sent me texts late at night, waking me up?

Well, I'd turned my text tone off when I went to bed the other night..only to be jolted awake by my phone ringing at 12:15 a.m. It was co-worker...because I "hadn't answered her texts" that she'd sent me at 11:30 p.m. These were not work related texts, BTW, and nothing important.

If one of my coworkers did that to me, they'd be covering for me the next day when I called in sick due to lack of sleep.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21679 on: June 17, 2013, 10:27:55 AM »
Re: $100 bills and garage sales

I, personally, would never accept a $100 bill from anyone at a garage sale, even if I had lots of change. Or even if I were selling something on Craigslist.  In fact, when I place ads on Craigslist for things, I always write, "Cash only.  No $100's."

$100's are the most counterfeited bills out there.  I'd be extremely suspicious of someone trying to pay for a small item with one of them. 

Army Mom

« Reply #21680 on: June 17, 2013, 10:37:48 AM »

I, personally, would never accept a $100 bill from anyone at a garage sale, even if I had lots of change. Or even if I were selling something on Craigslist.  In fact, when I place ads on Craigslist for things, I always write, "Cash only.  No $100's."

$100's are the most counterfeited bills out there.  I'd be extremely suspicious of someone trying to pay for a small item with one of them.

I agree!  I sold a car on Craigslist once and when the buyer showed up with 100s, I'm sure they thought I was the SS since I insisted on testing all the bills with a special marker.

sevenday

« Reply #21681 on: June 17, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »
When my ex bought a car off Craigslist, he didn't have checks for his account so what he did was after he'd test-driven the car, he and the seller went to the local branch of X bank and seller watched while my ex withdrew the money in a mix of 100s and a cashier's check.  The seller accepted that the money had come from the bank so it was likely genuine.  I did the same thing when I bought a house (trailer) for around 4k - met at the bank, etc.  I would never accept anything over a $20 at a garage sale either!

alkira6

« Reply #21682 on: June 17, 2013, 11:10:45 AM »
When my ex bought a car off Craigslist, he didn't have checks for his account so what he did was after he'd test-driven the car, he and the seller went to the local branch of X bank and seller watched while my ex withdrew the money in a mix of 100s and a cashier's check.  The seller accepted that the money had come from the bank so it was likely genuine.  I did the same thing when I bought a house (trailer) for around 4k - met at the bank, etc.  I would never accept anything over a $20 at a garage sale either!

That's what I did in college when I bought my car - test drove, took it to a garage to be checked out, and then we drove to the bank to get the money from the teller, who also signed the receipt for the sale for us.

magicdomino

« Reply #21683 on: June 17, 2013, 11:24:42 AM »

That was my first thought. 

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #21684 on: June 17, 2013, 11:56:17 AM »
Yes the old garage sale SS's.  Who think their being very clever and daring by behaving as a pumpkin to get that extra saving they can rave about.  When I married my dh we ended up with 2 washing machines, so we decided to sell his and keep my newer one.  I just wanted it gone so I posted it in the paper for $80, great price for a 2nd hand machine that even students could purchase it.

In comes SS she thinks she will hardball me and scoop it up for a bargain on behalf of her son.  Claimed the hoses at the back were cut off and it didn't work.  I ensured her the hoses were not cut off that is how they are, and the machine works fine (it was clear where she was headed).  She demanded to see it in action very rudely, so I got out the extension cord to show her it's working state.  She then demanded to buy it cheaper as it's obviously been used and why were we selling it.  At that point I just inform her the price is the price I stated, and that it's no longer available for her to buy good day. 

While she was gaping another car pulled up and another lady came on behalf of her child, who was moving out for the first time.  She was pleasant to deal with and wanted to purchase it straight away, so done deal.  She had the money out and paid me and we loaded it into her car.  The first lady just spluttered and informed me that she was first and should get it.  I informed her I can sell to whomever I please and had already asked her to leave my property, have a pleasant day.

Sold a pair of baby swings (needed repairs - I had the parts order sheet with them) to a lady buying them for her church nursery (building in construction for at least two months) while the guy with twins was still "negotiating" a reduced price "since they didn't work".  Well - his twins would be older, larger, and all that by the time the parts came in - the church nursery wasn't going to be ready for babies to use the swings for at least two months - I was happy with the asking price & she was happy to find two baby swings for half price (even after she ordered the parts - price was cheaper for TWO than just one replacement part). 

Guy with twins at home had to keep looking.....those twins are over 25 by now....wonder if their Dad still remembers the "swings that got away"?  I'm pretty sure the swings in the church nursery have had to be replaced by now.....

I was a bit SS at a garage sale. The mention of baby swings brought back my shame. (I get no pass for being 12, right?)

My cousins (2 years and 3 months) had just moved in with us when their mom was in an accident and my mom agreed to take them in. And by my mom took them in, i mean, on all weekends and afterschool, clear to the moment I got into the the car the next day to go to school, *I* raised them. (My stepdad was in the hospital, Mom didn't have much of a choice. To be fair, she did take us to the hospital on weekends, where i got to tend two babies in a hospital... you know, for a change in scenery i guess?)

We got a baby swing brand new, but if had batteries and i hated it. At a garage sale I saw something I wanted, with a price i could afford; one of those older crank up swings, working, for $5. Only problem, a man was dikkering over the price, trying to get the owner to take a dollar.

So i rab over with my littler cousin on my hip, the older holding the back of my jeans and said "I'll give you five right now." handed him my money, grabbed the swing and "ran" (okay, limped/pulled it) back to the car, pulling it into the backseat (three rows of seats, carseats in 2nd row, me and swing in 3rd) and shutting the door while i strapped in the kids/the man who wanted it for a dollar yelled at me through the glass.

The owner was laughing though. He was a SS too I guess. The swing now belongs to my other cousin and STILL works. She has made it clear that when i have kids, i'm on my own if i want it back, because she's claiming adverse possesion rights, due to having had it in her house for over five years. She promises she'll provide a getaway vehicle if i want to swoop in and buy another one though.

wheeitsme

« Reply #21685 on: June 17, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »

Good lord. And I'm guessing there wasn't even a smidgen of shame or self-awareness to go with that pronouncement.

Then there was the guy who showed up about 15 minutes into the sale with a 100 dollar bill and wanted to buy a one dollar item.  While I had change, I didn't have change for that much money that early in the morning.  He asked me where he was supposed to get change for the other garage sales and I suggested that he stop at the local Quik Mart and ask them.  He did manage to find a dollar bill to pay for the item.

The hundred dollar bill nitwits can be the bane of my existence at the library. They get one or more hundred dollar bills and then as far as I can tell their first reaction is that they must immediately come to the library to pay their 75 cent overdue fee. We'll take it if we can manage to give change without too much hassle, but some of them get a bunch of fives, ones and even quarters back. The ones who insist, at least. If we don't have enough tens and twenties, most of the people who "only have a hundred" will miraculously manage to come up with something smaller.

I got a $100 bill for my birthday (I'm over 40 and my Dad is not a shopper, LOL).  And when I went to the big box building store this weekend and bought $12 worth of stuff, I asked if they would be able to take it.  I asked.  And I told them that if they couldn't, I would pay with my debit.  The cashier said that she thought she could, opened her drawer and confirmed that it wouldn't be a problem.

And that's the polite way to do it  ;)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21686 on: June 17, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »

Good lord. And I'm guessing there wasn't even a smidgen of shame or self-awareness to go with that pronouncement.

Then there was the guy who showed up about 15 minutes into the sale with a 100 dollar bill and wanted to buy a one dollar item.  While I had change, I didn't have change for that much money that early in the morning.  He asked me where he was supposed to get change for the other garage sales and I suggested that he stop at the local Quik Mart and ask them.  He did manage to find a dollar bill to pay for the item.

The hundred dollar bill nitwits can be the bane of my existence at the library. They get one or more hundred dollar bills and then as far as I can tell their first reaction is that they must immediately come to the library to pay their 75 cent overdue fee. We'll take it if we can manage to give change without too much hassle, but some of them get a bunch of fives, ones and even quarters back. The ones who insist, at least. If we don't have enough tens and twenties, most of the people who "only have a hundred" will miraculously manage to come up with something smaller.

I got a $100 bill for my birthday (I'm over 40 and my Dad is not a shopper, LOL).  And when I went to the big box building store this weekend and bought $12 worth of stuff, I asked if they would be able to take it.  I asked.  And I told them that if they couldn't, I would pay with my debit.  The cashier said that she thought she could, opened her drawer and confirmed that it wouldn't be a problem.

I've also done this, usually at the grocery store or other big box store, when I'm spending quite a bit, so my change coming back will be minimal. But if i wasn't spending that much, I'd still ask, and if they said no, I'd pay another way.

PeterM

« Reply #21687 on: June 17, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »
Has anyone ever asked someone who makes that "I'll take my business elsewhere!" or "I won't be back!" statement why exactly they think they're important enough that anyone in the world would care? I'd be curious to hear the answer, though I imagine it'd really come down to the usual boring arrogance. I've always been either an uninvolved bystander or working when I've heard it, so I've never been able to ask.

I've said it, actually. Not because I think my business alone is important enough to matter -- just the opposite, actually. No one's ever going to notice if Shopper X or Shopper Y just stop shopping at the store. They won't know if it's because of some policy the shopper hates, because they moved somewhere else, or whatever. So if there's ever a policy or behavior that's honestly bad enough to make me not willing to shop at that store again, I figure the best thing to do is inform the store exactly that. If you never tell them, they'll have no idea it's because of the policy, and if enough people leave because of it, maybe they'll change it.

That's a good point, and an example of the  acceptable way to pull the "Never shopping here again" card. I was thinking specifically of the SSes who try to use it as a weapon as they flounce off, fully expecting to be stopped and begged for forgiveness. I don't understand why they think anyone particularly wants their business - especially at a one-time even like a garage sale, as someone pointed out - but I must concede that as a general rule SSes who flounce are not the most self-aware or introspective people in the world.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21688 on: June 17, 2013, 12:21:09 PM »

That was my first thought.

At least where I am, I've heard that $20s are the most (or used to be before we got the new polymer bills) counterfeited bill because people were a lot less likely to look closely at a $20.  That's what everybody gets out of the bank machine, right?

But the issue with $100s being counterfeit is that the merchant/seller is out a lot more money if it is counterfeit.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #21689 on: June 17, 2013, 12:28:48 PM »

Indeed.  Last week i needed a part for my motorcycle, I all had was $100 bill and 2 singles.  Went they told me at the bike shop it would be $22 total, and since it was early morning in a cash only shop, I asked if they could take it, or should i go to my bank 2 blocks away to get change.  Of course the answer was yes, if I wouldn't mind changing it (although i think he would have taken it, I didn't want to take all his change).  8)
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana