Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5760040 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21690 on: June 17, 2013, 12:48:32 PM »
LadyClaire wrote:

"Well, I'd turned my text tone off when I went to bed the other night..only to be jolted awake by my phone ringing at 12:15 a.m. It was co-worker...because I "hadn't answered her texts" that she'd sent me at 11:30 p.m. These were not work related texts, BTW, and nothing important."

I'd block her number entirely.  If anyone at work complained, I would simply tell them that she keeps sending non-work related texts and calls at late hours.

artk2002 wrote:

"It would be interesting to see the reaction if someone said "Sure, I'll take that $100. I'd like to see a photo ID, please.""

The fridge logic in this is that someone who's knowingly passing counterfeit currency is probably skilled enough to have a fake ID that would pass muster.  I'd rather just say no and not have to deal with any issues.

Virg

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #21691 on: June 17, 2013, 12:50:09 PM »
LadyClaire wrote:

"Well, I'd turned my text tone off when I went to bed the other night..only to be jolted awake by my phone ringing at 12:15 a.m. It was co-worker...because I "hadn't answered her texts" that she'd sent me at 11:30 p.m. These were not work related texts, BTW, and nothing important."

I'd block her number entirely.  If anyone at work complained, I would simply tell them that she keeps sending non-work related texts and calls at late hours.

Absolutely. Or assign a silent ringtone to that number.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21692 on: June 17, 2013, 01:06:04 PM »
LadyClaire wrote:

Absolutely. Or assign a silent ringtone to that number.

I did that the next morning, as soon as my head was clear enough to figure it out.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21693 on: June 17, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »
Well, in a store you would expect to be able to get change for a large bill.  But asking at a yard sale or a craft fair or a flea market if they have change for $100, first thing in the morning?  Either SS or someone trying to pass off a counterfeit.  You might lose a sale if it's just SSness, but you'll lose a lot more, all day long, when you don't have change for $5.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:14:25 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #21694 on: June 17, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »
But even stores might not have enough if it is just opened, or late at night- "we carry no large bills past 10pm" some places post.
Banks and credit unions are truly the best places to get the proper cash. 

my fave yard sales are the "moving, everything must go!"  where they practically pay YOU to take their stuff away!
:)

Although, there was one time, just last month, when I happened upon a huge yardsale, on a weekday, and I just had to stop and look around, even though I had little cash.

I found a lovely item, a work of art, way above an amount I had on me.  I mentioned where and how it could be used, for educational purposes at a specific location, and the owner said, "that school?  For that age and teacher?  Ya know waht, I bet we can just do a donation on that one!"

So I gave them my card and even more details on where it would be going.

I did a write up on the back and presented it to the teacher a few days later.  The item now has a place of honor in her classroom, and the kids were very happy to receive it.

So, yes, I got it for free, but all the people involved were extra happy about it!

:)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

otterwoman

« Reply #21695 on: June 17, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »
Re: $100 bills and garage sales

I, personally, would never accept a $100 bill from anyone at a garage sale, even if I had lots of change. Or even if I were selling something on Craigslist.  In fact, when I place ads on Craigslist for things, I always write, "Cash only.  No $100's."

$100's are the most counterfeited bills out there.  I'd be extremely suspicious of someone trying to pay for a small item with one of them.

I agree!  I sold a car on Craigslist once and when the buyer showed up with 100s, I'm sure they thought I was the SS since I insisted on testing all the bills with a special marker.

There is a way to fool the pens; hairspray. The pen ink won't hit the paper, so it doesn't change.

This lists some things to look for: http://www.secretservice.gov/money_detect.shtml

Also, the ink never dries. You should be able to rub a bill on white paper and see the green ink on the paper. This works well for new bills that haven't gone through the washer in someone's pocket.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #21696 on: June 17, 2013, 03:03:37 PM »
A short PSA...

When testing any money for authenticity, even with the marker, always check the watermark.Make sure the face on the bill matches the face on the watermark. That money, if it was originally a 1 or a 10, and has been bleached to a 100 or a 5 bleached to a 50, the marker will show it as authentic, when in fact it is counterfit.

Also, because counterfitters are using cotton when they are making their fake money, those markers will also not work on them. Always, always, always, check for that water mark.

mmswm

« Reply #21697 on: June 17, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »
RE late calling coworker:  I have my phone set so that between certain hours or while I have certain apps running, only a few select numbers will get through and all the rest go straight to voicemail without ever alerting me.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #21698 on: June 17, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »
Last Wednesday, I had a SS at the DMV.  BG: It is summer, and it is extremely busy here.  The busiest time of the year, with wait times averaging at least an hour.

At one point in the afternoon, a 3 year old starts screaming.  Blood curdling screams.  Coworkers said that I visibly started every time she let one loose.  I didn't say anything although I did notice that the mother was ignoring her (the child would periodically run over to her to scream about her siblings).  I was just trying to work as fast as I could to get everyone out.

Finally, my lead worker asked the mother to please take her child out into the foyer.  Lead worker explained that we would notify her when it was her turn, but that we had people attempting to take driving tests and her child was too disruptive.

The mother's response was that it was our fault: we should set up a play area for children (where?  we have no room) with crayons and coloring books and toys (and who pays for this?) so her children could play.

Another customer yelled: "This isn't day care, lady!"  That made her angrier.  When it was her turn, she pitched a tantrum that put her child to shame.

The next day, I had customers return (they couldn't take the noise any more) to complete their business.  One test taker came back with ear plugs.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21699 on: June 17, 2013, 04:11:30 PM »
Aside from the awfulness of what she said, why do all stories about SS waiting to see obstetricians always involve them declaring "I'm pregnant" in a room full of pregnant women?  I suppose being a SS makes them totally blind to all the other bumps in the room because no-one else features in their world.

Exactly why I turned down a transfer to OB/GYN.  I was also offered one to Pediatrics; not going there, either.  (I found out that after I resigned from my job and moved out of state the job I'd been doing was eliminated.  That's why I was getting all these offers for lateral transfers.  But they couldn't pay me enough to work for either OB/GYN or Pediatrics.  People who work in both of those places and love it are very special, but I don't work well with the public and even less well with Special Snowflakes.)

I tihnk that is a wise move. Some of the things I've seen in my OB's office are very SS like. Thankfully he has awesome reception staff who are very good at making it clear that his clients in labour come first while still being polite and calm.

And you know the woman who demand their appointment be on time and that the OB should leave the birth he is attending for it are also the ones who will expect him to be at their side every minute of their labour!
My Mom always maintained that the only doctors she would wait for were OB's, Cardiologists, and Trauma Doctors. The others needed to schedule in such a way they could stay on time.

Our Pediatrician was old fashioned. We rarely if ever had to wait for him. He also kept open times in his schedule so that he could handle emergencies. There was one exam room off to the side away from the main ones. I was put in there immediately if I was having a follow up after an allergic reaction - because medication to suppress an full on reaction actually suppress your immune system. That room kept kids like me away from the sick kids. I remember hearing the nurses explain that no I wasn't cutting, I just couldn't be in the waiting room. (Mom usually gave a fuller explanation if the other parents were nice to the nurse - she saw it as an opportunity to educate people)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

weeblewobble

« Reply #21700 on: June 17, 2013, 04:12:42 PM »
Cousin Jason showed up for the wedding and had a blast at the reception. He was the life of the party, drinking and dancing. As the evening wore down, he acknowledged that he was in no shape to drive. So he started to ask around, trying to find other guests at the wedding who had booked a room at the hotel for the evening, hoping he could crash with them. Most of the couples he spoke to turned him down and gently suggested that he go book a room, himself- as the hotel still had several available. But Cousin Jason didn't want to pay for his own room at this point- he just wanted someone else to put him up for free. As the couples all turned in for the night, he became increasingly vocal about how he needed some place to crash.

And this is how Cousin Jason ended up sleeping on the pull out couch in the bridal suite-- crashing in the room the bride and groom had booked for their honeymoon night. Ugh. What a lovely memory for the happy couple. Waking up on their first morning as man and wife, and having a relation sprawled out asleep just across the room.  ::)

That's horrifying, but the happy(?) couple should have maintained their spines. 

mumma to KMC

« Reply #21701 on: June 17, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »

snip

The mother's response was that it was our fault: we should set up a play area for children (where?  we have no room) with crayons and coloring books and toys (and who pays for this?) so her children could play.

As a mother of five (yes they are all mine) I make sure we take crayons (or colored pencils), coloring books or blank paper, and a book or two for reading when we venture out to places where there might be a wait. I don't expect anyone else to "entertain" my children :)

That being said, if we go to a place that has a designated kid area, they are not allowed to touch anything b/c I'm kind of a germaphobe!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21702 on: June 17, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »
wheeitsme wrote:

"I got a $100 bill for my birthday (I'm over 40 and my Dad is not a shopper, LOL).  And when I went to the big box building store this weekend and bought $12 worth of stuff, I asked if they would be able to take it.  I asked.  And I told them that if they couldn't, I would pay with my debit.  The cashier said that she thought she could, opened her drawer and confirmed that it wouldn't be a problem.

And that's the polite way to do it"

I have to disagree.  Unless the business is obviously small or there's some extant circumstance like a sign that says they don't accept larger than a certain denomination, I don't see a problem with paying by whatever means I have, and I don't believe that asking about it is the only polite way to do it.  To be honest, I'd be pretty surprised if a big box store had trouble handling a c-note, and I wouldn't think to ask.  I agree that a big bill can be a burden for a corner coffee shop or a newsstand (and certainly would be bad news for a garage sale) but a grocery store or a non-kiosk at the mall should be prepared to handle hundreds.

Virg

lemons

« Reply #21703 on: June 17, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »
I could have a laundry list of the SS that I encountered this past weekend at my church's yard sale, but I'll keep the list short. :)

First off, let me explain how my church does its yard sale.  We have what we call a "Priceless" yard sale, where parishoners bring their items, set them up on tables on the church lawn (right by the road that goes in front of the church, so as to increase traffic), but we don't price anything.  We ask people what they are willing to pay and then (hopefully) come to an agreement on the price.  There is a central table to pay, so shoppers can buy from multiple people and only pay once.  Generally, people run their own table and agree to prices only for their merchandise.  All proceeds go to the church, no person gets a monetary compensation for the items they bring to the sale.  We try to get good prices for the items, as the church could use the money.

1st SS:  My tables (I had 5!) were completely full with baby/toddler toys and books.  I had 2 full tables of Little People sets - all were new looking and complete - I had gone through all of them, matched up what figures came with each set, put them in a ziploc bag and taped the bag to the building (barn, house, etc.).  I had one man pick up the barn, which had 7 animals plus a farmer, and offer $1.  I said, no, I needed at least $4 (this is an item that retails for $25, mine had been gently used by 1 child and looked brand new).  He made a derogatory comment about my prices being too high and put it down.  He then picked up a plastic semi-hauler (for toy cars - this was Big Mac from Cars, if you recognize it) and offered me a quarter.  I said No, I'd like at least $2 (retailed for $13 or so, kid barely ever touched it).  He put it down and picked up a wooden train (engine and 2 cars) that was still in its packaging - never opened.  He offered me a quarter for that as well.  Again, I asked for $2, he put it down (this was a Thomas brand train, goes for at least $20 in the store).  I saw him later with the semi and train walking to his car.  I went to the cashier's table and asked what he paid, because we hadn't come to an agreement on the price.  The woman at the table said $1 and he told her that I said it was ok!  What a low-life, basically stealing money from a church!

SS2:  A woman was looking at the items on all the tables, and eventually came up to the cashier's table with a toy car (kind of like the batmobile, with several figures all together), 5 baby board books and a rattle and asked how much it would be.  We asked her to make us an offer, what she felt it would be worth.  Her response: "I don't have any money on me".  Who comes to a yard sale with no money?  We all kind of looked at her and she asked if we would give it to her.  When we said no, she said she'd go look in her car to see what she had.  She came back with change and asked us if we'd take $1.33 for all of it.  Everyone looked at me (since it was my stuff) and I gently said that I was sorry, but I couldn't let the car go for that.  She was welcome to the books (I was selling those for $.25 each, usually) and the rattle, but I knew that someone would give us a couple of bucks for the car and I felt it was my duty to get as good of a price as I could for the church.  Luckily, she didn't argue and took the books and the rattle and left.

This is why I'm not a fan of not putting prices on items at the yard sale, but I understand why we don't.  If people had to price their items, we would get a lot less items donated to the sale because it takes so much extra work.  Doing it this way, people gather their items, work the sale (if they want) which runs from 8am - 1pm and their work is done.  Pricing stuff can take hours and some people just don't want to deal with the hassle.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21704 on: June 17, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »
On the subject of $100 bills -

Dad's boss used to give his adult kids and their spouses $10,000 each year for Christmas - cash money. He sent his secretary to the bank to get the money. One year the bank informed her they no longer made bills in either the $1,000 or $10,000 (was there ever a $10,00 bills). The poor guy honest as the day is long got a visit from both the IRS and the DEA. They believed him thank goodness. Now he gives them money orders.

Dad would get a large sum of money out when we traveled. One time when I was 16, we were getting ready to leave the next morning but we were out of milk. Dad sent me to safeway to get a quart of milk with $100 bill at 10 pm. I fell all over myself apologizing to the clerk, who assured me it was ok. Thing was they had just installed scanners and still had the volume turned up so it announced I was getting $98 or something near that back in change. There were some sketchy guys that had leaving. They heard that stepped outside and stopped. I went to the manager and explained what had happened. He walked me to my car. It takes us 2 days to get to PEI. Dad Calls into the office to check in and they ask if I'm Ok. Apparently the safeway manager brought the security issue to the attention of his higher ups using my name/Mr. Herbert's daughter in the story. The higher ups (district not corporate) had called Dad's office to apologize and say they were looking into getting the volume turned off.  (Dad was president of one of 3 Miller distributorships in Houston so he knew all the grocery higher ups)

Kind of related. I got travelers checks last time I went to PEI. American Express. I went to my Nanna's bank to cash one and they refused. Apparently there had been a rash of counterfeit ones, and no-one was accepting them. I was standing there jaw on the floor trying to figure out what to do. The teller asked me to move and asked the person behind what she needed. Michelle was maybe 10, she said nothing I'm just with my cousin pointing to me. My cousin on Daddy's side, her mom is my Aunt (Mom's name). I honestly think Michelle knew exactly what she was doing and what type of politics she was playing. Since I was my grandparents grandchild they cashed the checks and gave me a card to show any other teller at their bank to cash any other checks the rest of my stay.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future