Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4413892 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21705 on: June 17, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »
wheeitsme wrote:

"I got a $100 bill for my birthday (I'm over 40 and my Dad is not a shopper, LOL).  And when I went to the big box building store this weekend and bought $12 worth of stuff, I asked if they would be able to take it.  I asked.  And I told them that if they couldn't, I would pay with my debit.  The cashier said that she thought she could, opened her drawer and confirmed that it wouldn't be a problem.

And that's the polite way to do it"

I have to disagree.  Unless the business is obviously small or there's some extant circumstance like a sign that says they don't accept larger than a certain denomination, I don't see a problem with paying by whatever means I have, and I don't believe that asking about it is the only polite way to do it.  To be honest, I'd be pretty surprised if a big box store had trouble handling a c-note, and I wouldn't think to ask.  I agree that a big bill can be a burden for a corner coffee shop or a newsstand (and certainly would be bad news for a garage sale) but a grocery store or a non-kiosk at the mall should be prepared to handle hundreds.

Virg

lemons

« Reply #21706 on: June 17, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »
I could have a laundry list of the SS that I encountered this past weekend at my church's yard sale, but I'll keep the list short. :)

First off, let me explain how my church does its yard sale.  We have what we call a "Priceless" yard sale, where parishoners bring their items, set them up on tables on the church lawn (right by the road that goes in front of the church, so as to increase traffic), but we don't price anything.  We ask people what they are willing to pay and then (hopefully) come to an agreement on the price.  There is a central table to pay, so shoppers can buy from multiple people and only pay once.  Generally, people run their own table and agree to prices only for their merchandise.  All proceeds go to the church, no person gets a monetary compensation for the items they bring to the sale.  We try to get good prices for the items, as the church could use the money.

1st SS:  My tables (I had 5!) were completely full with baby/toddler toys and books.  I had 2 full tables of Little People sets - all were new looking and complete - I had gone through all of them, matched up what figures came with each set, put them in a ziploc bag and taped the bag to the building (barn, house, etc.).  I had one man pick up the barn, which had 7 animals plus a farmer, and offer $1.  I said, no, I needed at least $4 (this is an item that retails for $25, mine had been gently used by 1 child and looked brand new).  He made a derogatory comment about my prices being too high and put it down.  He then picked up a plastic semi-hauler (for toy cars - this was Big Mac from Cars, if you recognize it) and offered me a quarter.  I said No, I'd like at least $2 (retailed for $13 or so, kid barely ever touched it).  He put it down and picked up a wooden train (engine and 2 cars) that was still in its packaging - never opened.  He offered me a quarter for that as well.  Again, I asked for $2, he put it down (this was a Thomas brand train, goes for at least $20 in the store).  I saw him later with the semi and train walking to his car.  I went to the cashier's table and asked what he paid, because we hadn't come to an agreement on the price.  The woman at the table said $1 and he told her that I said it was ok!  What a low-life, basically stealing money from a church!

SS2:  A woman was looking at the items on all the tables, and eventually came up to the cashier's table with a toy car (kind of like the batmobile, with several figures all together), 5 baby board books and a rattle and asked how much it would be.  We asked her to make us an offer, what she felt it would be worth.  Her response: "I don't have any money on me".  Who comes to a yard sale with no money?  We all kind of looked at her and she asked if we would give it to her.  When we said no, she said she'd go look in her car to see what she had.  She came back with change and asked us if we'd take $1.33 for all of it.  Everyone looked at me (since it was my stuff) and I gently said that I was sorry, but I couldn't let the car go for that.  She was welcome to the books (I was selling those for $.25 each, usually) and the rattle, but I knew that someone would give us a couple of bucks for the car and I felt it was my duty to get as good of a price as I could for the church.  Luckily, she didn't argue and took the books and the rattle and left.

This is why I'm not a fan of not putting prices on items at the yard sale, but I understand why we don't.  If people had to price their items, we would get a lot less items donated to the sale because it takes so much extra work.  Doing it this way, people gather their items, work the sale (if they want) which runs from 8am - 1pm and their work is done.  Pricing stuff can take hours and some people just don't want to deal with the hassle.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21707 on: June 17, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »
On the subject of $100 bills -

Dad's boss used to give his adult kids and their spouses $10,000 each year for Christmas - cash money. He sent his secretary to the bank to get the money. One year the bank informed her they no longer made bills in either the $1,000 or $10,000 (was there ever a $10,00 bills). The poor guy honest as the day is long got a visit from both the IRS and the DEA. They believed him thank goodness. Now he gives them money orders.

Dad would get a large sum of money out when we traveled. One time when I was 16, we were getting ready to leave the next morning but we were out of milk. Dad sent me to safeway to get a quart of milk with $100 bill at 10 pm. I fell all over myself apologizing to the clerk, who assured me it was ok. Thing was they had just installed scanners and still had the volume turned up so it announced I was getting $98 or something near that back in change. There were some sketchy guys that had leaving. They heard that stepped outside and stopped. I went to the manager and explained what had happened. He walked me to my car. It takes us 2 days to get to PEI. Dad Calls into the office to check in and they ask if I'm Ok. Apparently the safeway manager brought the security issue to the attention of his higher ups using my name/Mr. Herbert's daughter in the story. The higher ups (district not corporate) had called Dad's office to apologize and say they were looking into getting the volume turned off.  (Dad was president of one of 3 Miller distributorships in Houston so he knew all the grocery higher ups)

Kind of related. I got travelers checks last time I went to PEI. American Express. I went to my Nanna's bank to cash one and they refused. Apparently there had been a rash of counterfeit ones, and no-one was accepting them. I was standing there jaw on the floor trying to figure out what to do. The teller asked me to move and asked the person behind what she needed. Michelle was maybe 10, she said nothing I'm just with my cousin pointing to me. My cousin on Daddy's side, her mom is my Aunt (Mom's name). I honestly think Michelle knew exactly what she was doing and what type of politics she was playing. Since I was my grandparents grandchild they cashed the checks and gave me a card to show any other teller at their bank to cash any other checks the rest of my stay.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #21708 on: June 17, 2013, 05:04:05 PM »

snip

The mother's response was that it was our fault: we should set up a play area for children (where?  we have no room) with crayons and coloring books and toys (and who pays for this?) so her children could play.

As a mother of five (yes they are all mine) I make sure we take crayons (or colored pencils), coloring books or blank paper, and a book or two for reading when we venture out to places where there might be a wait. I don't expect anyone else to "entertain" my children :)

That being said, if we go to a place that has a designated kid area, they are not allowed to touch anything b/c I'm kind of a germaphobe!

I am not a germophobe, but when DS was little, I always carried activities for him, and he was able to keep himself busy for a few hours.

Last Monday, I had in-office surgery scheduled and showed up a few minutes early. The practice is very busy and the majority of patients are older. Another patient had her young grandson with her and did not bring anything for him to do. She was very permissive with him and he climbed all over the furniture in the waiting room, threw items from the table onto the floor, and then started screaming for fun (he was smiling and looking for a reaction). When he started screaming, I spoke up and asked the grandmother to keep him quiet or leave the room.

Instead, she told her grandchild that I was getting mad at him  ::) and that he had to be good. I had enough and moved, but not too far. He ended up turning off the lights for the front office (which the front office staff spoke to the grandmother for) and she held him after that.

I think that is very SS behavior to take a child somewhere, not bring anything for them to do, then blame someone else for them having to behave!

mmswm

« Reply #21709 on: June 17, 2013, 05:18:35 PM »
I could have a laundry list of the SS that I encountered this past weekend at my church's yard sale, but I'll keep the list short. :)

First off, let me explain how my church does its yard sale.  We have what we call a "Priceless" yard sale, where parishoners bring their items, set them up on tables on the church lawn (right by the road that goes in front of the church, so as to increase traffic), but we don't price anything.  We ask people what they are willing to pay and then (hopefully) come to an agreement on the price.  There is a central table to pay, so shoppers can buy from multiple people and only pay once.  Generally, people run their own table and agree to prices only for their merchandise.  All proceeds go to the church, no person gets a monetary compensation for the items they bring to the sale.  We try to get good prices for the items, as the church could use the money.

1st SS:  My tables (I had 5!) were completely full with baby/toddler toys and books.  I had 2 full tables of Little People sets - all were new looking and complete - I had gone through all of them, matched up what figures came with each set, put them in a ziploc bag and taped the bag to the building (barn, house, etc.).  I had one man pick up the barn, which had 7 animals plus a farmer, and offer $1.  I said, no, I needed at least $4 (this is an item that retails for $25, mine had been gently used by 1 child and looked brand new).  He made a derogatory comment about my prices being too high and put it down.  He then picked up a plastic semi-hauler (for toy cars - this was Big Mac from Cars, if you recognize it) and offered me a quarter.  I said No, I'd like at least $2 (retailed for $13 or so, kid barely ever touched it).  He put it down and picked up a wooden train (engine and 2 cars) that was still in its packaging - never opened.  He offered me a quarter for that as well.  Again, I asked for $2, he put it down (this was a Thomas brand train, goes for at least $20 in the store).  I saw him later with the semi and train walking to his car.  I went to the cashier's table and asked what he paid, because we hadn't come to an agreement on the price.  The woman at the table said $1 and he told her that I said it was ok!  What a low-life, basically stealing money from a church!

SS2:  A woman was looking at the items on all the tables, and eventually came up to the cashier's table with a toy car (kind of like the batmobile, with several figures all together), 5 baby board books and a rattle and asked how much it would be.  We asked her to make us an offer, what she felt it would be worth.  Her response: "I don't have any money on me".  Who comes to a yard sale with no money?  We all kind of looked at her and she asked if we would give it to her.  When we said no, she said she'd go look in her car to see what she had.  She came back with change and asked us if we'd take $1.33 for all of it.  Everyone looked at me (since it was my stuff) and I gently said that I was sorry, but I couldn't let the car go for that.  She was welcome to the books (I was selling those for $.25 each, usually) and the rattle, but I knew that someone would give us a couple of bucks for the car and I felt it was my duty to get as good of a price as I could for the church.  Luckily, she didn't argue and took the books and the rattle and left.

This is why I'm not a fan of not putting prices on items at the yard sale, but I understand why we don't.  If people had to price their items, we would get a lot less items donated to the sale because it takes so much extra work.  Doing it this way, people gather their items, work the sale (if they want) which runs from 8am - 1pm and their work is done.  Pricing stuff can take hours and some people just don't want to deal with the hassle.

Sounds like the church needs to set up some sort of system where the seller gives the buyer a slip of paper or a ticket of some sort where they've written down the agreed upon price before being sent to the cash.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21710 on: June 17, 2013, 05:19:26 PM »
Aside from the awfulness of what she said, why do all stories about SS waiting to see obstetricians always involve them declaring "I'm pregnant" in a room full of pregnant women?  I suppose being a SS makes them totally blind to all the other bumps in the room because no-one else features in their world.

Exactly why I turned down a transfer to OB/GYN.  I was also offered one to Pediatrics; not going there, either.  (I found out that after I resigned from my job and moved out of state the job I'd been doing was eliminated.  That's why I was getting all these offers for lateral transfers.  But they couldn't pay me enough to work for either OB/GYN or Pediatrics.  People who work in both of those places and love it are very special, but I don't work well with the public and even less well with Special Snowflakes.)

I tihnk that is a wise move. Some of the things I've seen in my OB's office are very SS like. Thankfully he has awesome reception staff who are very good at making it clear that his clients in labour come first while still being polite and calm.

And you know the woman who demand their appointment be on time and that the OB should leave the birth he is attending for it are also the ones who will expect him to be at their side every minute of their labour!
My Mom always maintained that the only doctors she would wait for were OB's, Cardiologists, and Trauma Doctors. The others needed to schedule in such a way they could stay on time.

We waited at an orthopedic surgeon's office for over hours once (over twenty years ago), he was putting someone's bones back together in surgery after a bad car accident.  The office had better A/C and cable on the TV for little Ambrosia Hino with her broken arm to watch.....the receptionist was our neighbor, she didn't say a word about who he was putting together- just that there was an emergency surgery due to a car accident. 

We were almost the only people who did wait - so once he got back, she was seen very soon, and her cast was cut off!  (Why we waited instead of rescheduling.)
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

snowdragon

« Reply #21711 on: June 17, 2013, 05:50:22 PM »
Two SS incidents from the Y this weekend.

I got my cast off on Thursday ( after 15 weeks and change) and am still in Physical Therapy. I was doing the "work out" ( read walking around the track under supervision)  that my therapist designed for me to with a Personal Trainer at the Y.

Apparently the trainer has made quite the impression with the 'tween set.  A group of 3 12year olds followed us around, trying to flirt with my 26year old therapist, making obnoxious comments, running past us and getting quite close to both us as we walked. Asking the Trainer for hugs, ect. basically making nuisances of themselves. At one point they asked him for a date.  Both he and I told them that he was being paid to work with me and they upped their attention seeking behaviors. Their mother came by and we asked her to control them because they were impacting my time with the trainer and she replied that they were kids and we needed to stop "picking on them" and told them not to worry that she'd "take care if our attitudes".   I dread hearing what she actually told the higher ups. sigh.

Then their was the guy who camped out in the running lane of the track. The Y has a three lane track that they have signs posted saying that the outer two lanes are dedicated walking lanes and the inner lane is dedicated for runners.  So this SS is walking V-E-R-Y Sloooooowly in the running lane, stopping, looking around, watching as folks try not to hit him and making a nuisance of himself. At one point he stopped directly in front of an oncoming runner who tried to miss a collision by cutting  over into the walking lane causing her to loose her footing, and when she tapped his shoulder with hers while falling, he called her several names - for a collision he caused.  He was told to leave the track if he can't use it properly and told the staff he would not comply- because he "is paying his dues, so he can use things as he wishes"  the staff called the Executive Director to deal with him.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #21712 on: June 17, 2013, 05:57:10 PM »
I hate people like that, if they watch they can see there's a system and hey decide to go against it because they're SS. Like the two ladies who walked up and down the lanes at the pool side by side in different lanes so they could talk to each other. Did it occur to the that they were blocking the way when I constantly had to swim around one of them?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #21713 on: June 17, 2013, 06:05:08 PM »

That's why I'm not a fan of "name your price" sales. I posted this before, but Panera (the restaurant chain) tested that concept for a while and then complained when people weren't offering full price for their food. It might be more work to price everything, but it's easier than dealing with "Nope, you didn't offer the number in my head. Guess again", kwim ?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #21714 on: June 17, 2013, 06:05:21 PM »
Snowdragon, you should preemptively contact upper management and complain about the girls and their mother and praise your trainer for their attempt to handle them. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and you don't want those SS to get the grease in this case.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21715 on: June 17, 2013, 06:27:36 PM »

Sounds like the church needs to set up some sort of system where the seller gives the buyer a slip of paper or a ticket of some sort where they've written down the agreed upon price before being sent to the cash.
Or a color coded sticker system.  Greeen = $1 Blue = 2 Red = 3 and so on.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21716 on: June 17, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »
Snowdragon, you should preemptively contact upper management and complain about the girls and their mother and praise your trainer for their attempt to handle them. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and you don't want those SS to get the grease in this case.

I would do it in writing and CC the trainer. Those girls sound the type to turn around and claim he was inappropriate as revenge for "him choosing you over him. "

snowdragon

« Reply #21717 on: June 17, 2013, 06:38:15 PM »

I would do it in writing and CC the trainer. Those girls sound the type to turn around and claim he was inappropriate as revenge for "him choosing you over him. "

I alerted the manager of the day on Saturday and went in early today to talk to the trainers direct supervisor.  Doing it in writing did not cross my mind...but yes,  I am very concerned about a  "he said, she said"scenario in this case.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #21718 on: June 17, 2013, 07:55:31 PM »
Encountered this one a few weeks ago and I remember intending to post it here, but I forgot until today  :P  The girls and I were flying to HomeState to visit my parents.  MyCity's airport is pretty small, so usually going through security isn't too bad, but that morning it was on the long side.  Enter SSImportantus.

He marched to the front of the line and demanded to use the "military line."  The one the pilots use.  Apparently he was under the impression that all military personnel get to go through security first, before the plebians (sorry, civilians).

Why this is particularly SS: MyCity has an army base.  We're a major center for department of defense research.  Our airport is actually one of the most expensive in the country on average, mostly because so many people are flying from here to Washington DC and back in the same day and paying government (read: $$$$) rates for the tickets.  Not all those contractors are actually military, but almost all of them are employed by either the army, the DoD, or NASA.  The billboard ads in our airport are for things like missiles and rockets instead of real estate and sports teams.*  Just looking around the security line, I would peg a good THIRD of the people waiting as "military."

The security officer rather curtly informed Mr. SS that if our airport had a separate military line, we'd still all be standing in it, and he was welcome to go to the back behind everyone else.  Mr. SS argued a bit, but finally did as he was told.

*Which always confused me - do the advertisers really think someone's going to be walking through the airport and go "Ooh, you know what I need?  A military helicopter!  I would have never known where to look for one if I hadn't seen that ad!  Awesome!  Thanks, Boeing!  I'll drop by on Tuesday!"
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:57:34 PM by Slartibartfast »

NyaChan

« Reply #21719 on: June 17, 2013, 11:22:26 PM »
Heard about quite the SS coworker from my sister who is a resident in a city hospital and as she was recently chosen to be a Chief, she has the joy of dealing with him on the behalf of the other Senior residents  ::)  FirstYear is a very charming and attractive young man who makes friends easily.  Unfortunately, he seems to think being likable can replace doing actual work.

1)  The Rental Scam: FirstYear needed to move to a new apartment as his ex-girlfriend kicked him out of their shared apartment.  He couldn't get help from other docs as the ones with cars were working and he was new to the area.  Not having a usable car of his own and not willing to pay for a rental, FirstYear came up with a brilliant plan.  He went to a Lexus dealership in his scrubs, hospital tags, etc. and told them that he was a doctor and knew he wanted to buy a particular Lexus model.  All that was left was for him to test drive it and he'd be ready to go.  But, he wanted to test drive the car he would buy for a whole day.  Well apparently he was pretty convincing, because they gave the car to him and told him to bring it back before they closed that evening.  FirstYear then spends the day moving using the Lexus SUV and takes it back saying he'll think about it.

2)  FirstYear Makes All the Seniors Mad:  FirstYear got into a habit of leaving early from his shifts and leaving his work undone.  This means that the other people ended up staying longer to do his work for him.  At first, some let it go out of friendship and an assumption that the first year resident had gotten overwhelmed.  Finally, the Senior Residents got fed up and reported it to my sister.  My sister sent him an email letting him know that she had received these complaints from the other Seniors and reminded him that he is responsible for doing X, Y, Z before he leaves.  She cc'd the other residents who made the complaints.  Sister thinks it is done with.  Nope nope nope.  He gets mad at her for calling him out, and angry that the Seniors complained to her because he thought they were all friends.  My sister reminds him that getting along with your coworkers doesn't mean you can stop doing your work.  FirstYear does it again.  An angry Senior goes to my sister and let's her know that he has left again without finishing his work.  My sister called him up and told him he had to come back to work and finish.  Is he at all contrite, guilty, or embarrassed? Try whiney: "But I have to go on call this afternoon!" Yeah just like every other person on staff.

3) FirstYear Takes on Weddings:  One of the residents is getting married.  She did not invite FirstYear.  He calls her up and asks her to invite him last minute because "everyone else is going" (not true).  The resident extends an invitation to him.  Unfortunately, FirstYear got in trouble with the Senior residents the week of the wedding.  He decided he wasn't going to go because he is angry that people "threw him under the bus."  Yup, after calling to ask for an invitation, he was a no show.