Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5366391 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21720 on: June 18, 2013, 07:35:32 AM »
A church we went to in one of our previous duty stations had a neat thing they did every year: the Great Giveaway.  It was like a free yard sale.  People donated all sorts of stuff... furniture, electronics, toys, clothes, books, etc.  And the community was invited to come and take anything they wanted... for free.  Sort of like a giant Freecycle.  They also had a kids' program inside, where some volunteers (mostly teens) would log in your kids, and then you could go shop at the sale while your kids got their faces painted, played games, ate snacks, got balloons, etc.  It was pretty cool!  I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if the church didn't get a lot of new members from people who heard about it or came to the sale.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21721 on: June 18, 2013, 09:17:13 AM »
On the subject of $100 bills -

Dad's boss used to give his adult kids and their spouses $10,000 each year for Christmas - cash money. He sent his secretary to the bank to get the money. One year the bank informed her they no longer made bills in either the $1,000 or $10,000 (was there ever a $10,00 bills). The poor guy honest as the day is long got a visit from both the IRS and the DEA. They believed him thank goodness. Now he gives them money orders.

Dad would get a large sum of money out when we traveled. One time when I was 16, we were getting ready to leave the next morning but we were out of milk. Dad sent me to safeway to get a quart of milk with $100 bill at 10 pm. I fell all over myself apologizing to the clerk, who assured me it was ok. Thing was they had just installed scanners and still had the volume turned up so it announced I was getting $98 or something near that back in change. There were some sketchy guys that had leaving. They heard that stepped outside and stopped. I went to the manager and explained what had happened. He walked me to my car. It takes us 2 days to get to PEI. Dad Calls into the office to check in and they ask if I'm Ok. Apparently the safeway manager brought the security issue to the attention of his higher ups using my name/Mr. Herbert's daughter in the story. The higher ups (district not corporate) had called Dad's office to apologize and say they were looking into getting the volume turned off.  (Dad was president of one of 3 Miller distributorships in Houston so he knew all the grocery higher ups)

Kind of related. I got travelers checks last time I went to PEI. American Express. I went to my Nanna's bank to cash one and they refused. Apparently there had been a rash of counterfeit ones, and no-one was accepting them. I was standing there jaw on the floor trying to figure out what to do. The teller asked me to move and asked the person behind what she needed. Michelle was maybe 10, she said nothing I'm just with my cousin pointing to me. My cousin on Daddy's side, her mom is my Aunt (Mom's name). I honestly think Michelle knew exactly what she was doing and what type of politics she was playing. Since I was my grandparents grandchild they cashed the checks and gave me a card to show any other teller at their bank to cash any other checks the rest of my stay.

I feel like I'm missing a lot here.  And your dad sure does seem to know everyone in town!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21722 on: June 18, 2013, 10:45:24 AM »
NyaChan I think you might have posted in the wrong thread ;). FirstYear just seems like a case of PD waiting to happen.

I don't know what PD means and it's the second time today I've seen those initials.   :-\

Reika

« Reply #21723 on: June 18, 2013, 10:46:27 AM »
NyaChan I think you might have posted in the wrong thread ;). FirstYear just seems like a case of PD waiting to happen.

I don't know what PD means and it's the second time today I've seen those initials.   :-\

Professional Darwinism from the thread with the name. :)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21724 on: June 18, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »

Professional Darwinism from the thread with the name. :)

Thank you!   :)

Melle

« Reply #21725 on: June 18, 2013, 10:54:46 AM »
I sent out my birthday invitations two weeks ago (the party is three months from now) and got a reply from a friend(ish) saying she couldn't come because it's her two-year-old's birthday two days before the event. Which is not the snowflake-part.

The snowflake-part is:
She actually complained that I chose exactly that weekend because I should have known she would have other plans for that date.

...well, my birthday is two days before her kid's, so I'm not quite sure what she was expecting  ???

Zizi-K

« Reply #21726 on: June 18, 2013, 10:57:52 AM »
I sent out my birthday invitations two weeks ago (the party is three months from now) and got a reply from a friend(ish) saying she couldn't come because it's her two-year-old's birthday two days before the event. Which is not the snowflake-part.

The snowflake-part is:
She actually complained that I chose exactly that weekend because I should have known she would have other plans for that date.

...well, my birthday is two days before her kid's, so I'm not quite sure what she was expecting  ???

May I ask why you sent the invitations so far in advance? Even wedding invitations are traditionally only sent 6-8 weeks before the event.

Melle

« Reply #21727 on: June 18, 2013, 10:59:22 AM »
May I ask why you sent the invitations so far in advance? Even wedding invitations are traditionally only sent 6-8 weeks before the event.

It's the big three-oh and the date is during vacation season :)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21728 on: June 18, 2013, 11:01:09 AM »
On the subject of $100 bills -

Dad's boss used to give his adult kids and their spouses $10,000 each year for Christmas - cash money. He sent his secretary to the bank to get the money. One year the bank informed her they no longer made bills in either the $1,000 or $10,000 (was there ever a $10,00 bills). The poor guy honest as the day is long got a visit from both the IRS and the DEA. They believed him thank goodness. Now he gives them money orders.

Dad would get a large sum of money out when we traveled. One time when I was 16, we were getting ready to leave the next morning but we were out of milk. Dad sent me to safeway to get a quart of milk with $100 bill at 10 pm. I fell all over myself apologizing to the clerk, who assured me it was ok. Thing was they had just installed scanners and still had the volume turned up so it announced I was getting $98 or something near that back in change. There were some sketchy guys that had leaving. They heard that stepped outside and stopped. I went to the manager and explained what had happened. He walked me to my car. It takes us 2 days to get to PEI. Dad Calls into the office to check in and they ask if I'm Ok. Apparently the safeway manager brought the security issue to the attention of his higher ups using my name/Mr. Herbert's daughter in the story. The higher ups (district not corporate) had called Dad's office to apologize and say they were looking into getting the volume turned off.  (Dad was president of one of 3 Miller distributorships in Houston so he knew all the grocery higher ups)

Kind of related. I got travelers checks last time I went to PEI. American Express. I went to my Nanna's bank to cash one and they refused. Apparently there had been a rash of counterfeit ones, and no-one was accepting them. I was standing there jaw on the floor trying to figure out what to do. The teller asked me to move and asked the person behind what she needed. Michelle was maybe 10, she said nothing I'm just with my cousin pointing to me. My cousin on Daddy's side, her mom is my Aunt (Mom's name). I honestly think Michelle knew exactly what she was doing and what type of politics she was playing. Since I was my grandparents grandchild they cashed the checks and gave me a card to show any other teller at their bank to cash any other checks the rest of my stay.

I feel like I'm missing a lot here.  And your dad sure does seem to know everyone in town!
My 10 yo cousin got them to cash the travlers check - because I wasn't a tourist but family back for a visit.

Dad was an outgoing person
*His maternal grandfather was involved in City government
*He grew up when Houston was a small city and a good number of the people from the neighborhood he grew up in became movers and shakers during the 60's - 80's
*From his job Dad knew most of the restaurant owners, grocery industry, and liquor stores.
*Dad was on 3 - 4 rodeo committees that is a huge deal in Houston
*Both him and Mom were involved in civic organizations
*Charities want people in the beer and alcohol industries on their committees Texas laws are tricky and it is easier to get donations if someone on your committee is in the business. Even some churches here will have beer at their festivals.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Zizi-K

« Reply #21729 on: June 18, 2013, 11:05:14 AM »

It's the big three-oh and the date is during vacation season :)

I hope you enjoy it!

Shalamar

« Reply #21730 on: June 18, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »
I once got heck (very good-humored heck, but still) for daring to schedule my birthday party when the local football team was playing a home game.  I hate all sports and had no idea they were playing that night.

The real SS part, though, is that one of the guests who said she'd be coming to my party after the game didn't show up after all.  Why?  Because our team lost, and she was so depressed, she just went home.   ::)

snowdragon

« Reply #21731 on: June 18, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »

The snowflake-part is:

>:D Well, you have responded to  her  that your birthday came first ( by about 28 years) and that SHE should have known better than to have a kid that close to YOUR birthday, because she should have know you had it reserved for milestone dates already. and watched her jaw drop and then explained that as ridiculous as that sounds, she sounds just as bad to you.  >:D   Yeah that might be a tad rude...but a gal can dream can't she

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #21732 on: June 18, 2013, 02:52:14 PM »
Our former receptionist has taken a turn to the SS side.

He gave notice a week ago, a big party was planned and held last Friday. His last day is supposed to be Thursday, but he has decided he is done with the position and is gone. Taking sick leave, without approval, and leaving the admin team understaffed. Also, we found some inappropriate video material on the front desk computer today.  ???

I am glad I found out before making a cake for him as I had planned.

darling

« Reply #21733 on: June 18, 2013, 03:12:49 PM »
Our former receptionist has taken a turn to the SS side.

He gave notice a week ago, a big party was planned and held last Friday. His last day is supposed to be Thursday, but he has decided he is done with the position and is gone. Taking sick leave, without approval, and leaving the admin team understaffed. Also, we found some inappropriate video material on the front desk computer today.  ???

I am glad I found out before making a cake for him as I had planned.

Wow. Way to burn bridges. I'd ask what the heck gets into people, but this thread is 1450 pages long and we still haven't figured this out...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:15:31 PM by darling »

Jules1980

« Reply #21734 on: June 18, 2013, 03:18:25 PM »
Heard today at the museum where I volunteer.

School group is booked for back-to-back programs, which will involve several docents (volunteer interpreters). Teacher shows up early and demands to see program coordinator. The assistant won't do. Teacher demands to meet with the docents in advance of the program. Demands.

Teacher proceeds to lecture docents at length about how this class is incredibly intelligent and creative and wonderful. Did I mention intelligent? They were all reincarnations of Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Marie Curie and Hermione Granger. Really intelligent, you know.

When the program ended, one docent remarked that the reason for the speech must have been to try to blind the docents to the fact that this was a remarkably obnoxious and rude group of students. The docent sort of called it the "class from eHell."

Nothing against people who believe in reincarnation, but why is it that people always say they were beautiful or important in their previous life? For all we know they could have been a night soil collector or an undertaker or a garbage man.

I'm pretty sure that if I am a reincarnation, my previous lives were perfectly ordinary.  Am I the only one whose previous lives were that of being the wife of a farmer/peasant?

Not always true.  My Aunt was told that she was a riverboat dancing girl.  I think the past life 'reader' was trying to make a romantic story and fell flat because she said my Uncle was a riverboat gambler.  When my Aunt asked that weren't most 'dancing girls' really prostitutes, the lady changed her story to that my Aunt in particular wasn't.  lol