Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5067178 times)

darling

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21735 on: June 18, 2013, 03:12:49 PM »
Our former receptionist has taken a turn to the SS side.

He gave notice a week ago, a big party was planned and held last Friday. His last day is supposed to be Thursday, but he has decided he is done with the position and is gone. Taking sick leave, without approval, and leaving the admin team understaffed. Also, we found some inappropriate video material on the front desk computer today.  ???

I am glad I found out before making a cake for him as I had planned.

Wow. Way to burn bridges. I'd ask what the heck gets into people, but this thread is 1450 pages long and we still haven't figured this out...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:15:31 PM by darling »

Jules1980

« Reply #21736 on: June 18, 2013, 03:18:25 PM »
Heard today at the museum where I volunteer.

School group is booked for back-to-back programs, which will involve several docents (volunteer interpreters). Teacher shows up early and demands to see program coordinator. The assistant won't do. Teacher demands to meet with the docents in advance of the program. Demands.

Teacher proceeds to lecture docents at length about how this class is incredibly intelligent and creative and wonderful. Did I mention intelligent? They were all reincarnations of Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Marie Curie and Hermione Granger. Really intelligent, you know.

When the program ended, one docent remarked that the reason for the speech must have been to try to blind the docents to the fact that this was a remarkably obnoxious and rude group of students. The docent sort of called it the "class from eHell."

Nothing against people who believe in reincarnation, but why is it that people always say they were beautiful or important in their previous life? For all we know they could have been a night soil collector or an undertaker or a garbage man.

I'm pretty sure that if I am a reincarnation, my previous lives were perfectly ordinary.  Am I the only one whose previous lives were that of being the wife of a farmer/peasant?

Not always true.  My Aunt was told that she was a riverboat dancing girl.  I think the past life 'reader' was trying to make a romantic story and fell flat because she said my Uncle was a riverboat gambler.  When my Aunt asked that weren't most 'dancing girls' really prostitutes, the lady changed her story to that my Aunt in particular wasn't.  lol

weeblewobble

« Reply #21737 on: June 18, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »
Two SS incidents from the Y this weekend.

I got my cast off on Thursday ( after 15 weeks and change) and am still in Physical Therapy. I was doing the "work out" ( read walking around the track under supervision)  that my therapist designed for me to with a Personal Trainer at the Y.

Apparently the trainer has made quite the impression with the 'tween set.  A group of 3 12year olds followed us around, trying to flirt with my 26year old therapist, making obnoxious comments, running past us and getting quite close to both us as we walked. Asking the Trainer for hugs, ect. basically making nuisances of themselves. At one point they asked him for a date.  Both he and I told them that he was being paid to work with me and they upped their attention seeking behaviors. Their mother came by and we asked her to control them because they were impacting my time with the trainer and she replied that they were kids and we needed to stop "picking on them" and told them not to worry that she'd "take care if our attitudes".   I dread hearing what she actually told the higher ups. sigh.

I relate.  My trainer, Mike, is very good looking and has quite the "following" at the gym.  Our time together frequently gets interrupted by female members just "dropping by" the machines we're using to say hi.  Mike's pretty good at saying hi politely and then redirecting his attention back to me. 

Now, those girls in your case were being really annoying and inappropriate.  They need to be reported to management, if their mother won't control them.  Which clearly, she won't. If your trainer is going to do well, he's going to need to learn how to redirect "interrupters" in a polite but firm manner.  Otherwise, interrupters will control his sessions and he will lose clients.

To add to your story about the guy "using the equipment however I want!" I submit:

I work out with Mike twice a week.  Unless we're using specific equipment out in the main area of the gym, we use the private trainers' room.  There is a large sign posted on the door stating that the room is for private training sessions only, but the door doesn't lock.  The same equipment can be found in the main gym area.  Training clients pay extra for the privilege of having that room and the trainers to themselves. 

Two weeks ago, I walked into the training room with Mike and there were three people in there.  Another trainer, Joe, his client, Sophie (who I know from outside of the gym), and a woman I didn't recognize, who was in the middle of her workout. It was unusual enough that Joe and Sophie were there because the trainers try to avoid scheduling us in the training room at the same time because it's a long, narrow room without a lot of space and well, most of us using trainers aren't the sort of fit athletes that feel comfortable doing strenuous exercises in front of other people.  And for another random person to be in the room without a trainer was just weird.

When the random woman saw me walk in with Mike, she rolled her eyes and huffed out a breath and sighed, "Great."  Mike's brows rose.  Joe said, "I thought she was waiting for you."  And before Mike or Joe could say anything, the lady stomped out of the room.

I looked to Mike and asked, "What just happened?"

Joe and Sophie finished up and left.  Mike shrugged and we started my workout.  A few minutes in, the lady comes stomping back into the training room and says, "Can I at least finish my set with XYZ equipment?"  Unfortunately, she was demanding to use the piece of equipment I was using at the time.  Mike explained that I was using it and the same equipment could be found in the main area of the gym.  And then he added that this room was for training clients only.  She said that was a stupid rule, she paid for use of the gym, too, and it wasn't fair that a room full of equipment wasn't available to her. 

Mike refused to make me get off of the equipment she wanted. She stomped away.  I introduced Mike to the concept of a special snowflake, which made him laugh.

The woman did go to the management to complain. Mike said they told her that she would have to sign up with a trainer to use the trainers room.  And over the last two weeks, she has tried to "sneak" into the room while Mike and Joe are training with clients and every time she sees the room is occupied she makes a big show of sighing and stomping away.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21738 on: June 18, 2013, 04:30:06 PM »
 ???   It sounds like someone should spring for a good lock!!!

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21739 on: June 18, 2013, 04:35:14 PM »
Not always true.  My Aunt was told that she was a riverboat dancing girl.  I think the past life 'reader' was trying to make a romantic story and fell flat because she said my Uncle was a riverboat gambler.  When my Aunt asked that weren't most 'dancing girls' really prostitutes, the lady changed her story to that my Aunt in particular wasn't.  lol

Off topic, but not all psychics and the like provide rose colored readings.  I went to a tarot card reader who touched my hand and shuddered and said she didn't think I wanted to hear what she had to say, and that she was scared of me.  I told her to go ahead (big mistake) and she then told me, among other things, that I am cursed, that I have a black aura which means I am near death (either mine or people I care about), that I was violently murdered in a past life, and that spirits are actively placing me in harms way because I was so hated in my past life they want to kill me again.  This was particularly comforting <sarcasm> since this was about two weeks after I found my husband after he killed himself.  Yay tarot cards!  <sarcasm>

cabbageweevil

« Reply #21740 on: June 18, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »
I once got heck (very good-humored heck, but still) for daring to schedule my birthday party when the local football team was playing a home game.  I hate all sports and had no idea they were playing that night.

The real SS part, though, is that one of the guests who said she'd be coming to my party after the game didn't show up after all.  Why?  Because our team lost, and she was so depressed, she just went home.   ::)

Not at all cool -- but, fanatics-for-their-pursuits are fanatics-for-their-pursuits; they can get fanatical to the point that in their minds, their pursuits and what happens in them, trump normal polite behaviour, and override undertakings given to those who are not "fellow-mad-devotees". Like you, I have a hatred of, and total lack of interest in, all sports; but have other hobbies / pursuits, re which my fanaticism runs fairly high (I try nowadays, not to be too much of a jerk about same).

I can -- without approving or applauding -- see where the fanatics are coming from. Perhaps they could be cut a bit of slack, in terms of temporary / situational insanity -- when the stuff about which they're fanatical is not involved, maybe their conduct is polite and normal?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21741 on: June 18, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »
Someone stole my stella d'oro lilies right out of the bed in the front of the house!  It's like they were never there in the first place! My kids and DH wouldn't pull them because as it is, it takes a lot to get those kids to weed and even when they do they're always asking "Is this okay to pull?" and DH knows not to pull when I've shown him "I planted that."

So it's either an animal or a very special snowflake of a neighbor.  >:(
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

CharlieBraun

« Reply #21742 on: June 18, 2013, 05:57:26 PM »

Off topic, but not all psychics and the like provide rose colored readings.  I went to a tarot card reader who touched my hand and shuddered and said she didn't think I wanted to hear what she had to say, and that she was scared of me.  I told her to go ahead (big mistake) and she then told me, among other things, that I am cursed, that I have a black aura which means I am near death (either mine or people I care about), that I was violently murdered in a past life, and that spirits are actively placing me in harms way because I was so hated in my past life they want to kill me again.  This was particularly comforting <sarcasm> since this was about two weeks after I found my husband after he killed himself.  Yay tarot cards!  <sarcasm>

Oh Turtle Dove - that sad, so hugs to you.  But the second part of that "act" is always that she has powers that will release you from this cloud, for a few (hundred/thousand) dollars.  I hope you beat feet and got out of there.
"We ate the pies."

NyaChan

« Reply #21743 on: June 18, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »
My Grandma (who could carry a whole topic area of her own  ::) ) is visiting. 

Today, Mom took her out so that I'd get some peace to study.  Mom took her for lunch where she wanted, to the fabric store, all over town basically.  They come back and Grandma is angry and sulking.  I help my mom bring in all the stuff from the car that they bought as Mom mumbles something about how "it's never good enough" and I asked what happened. 

Turns out a few days ago Mom had pointed out a neighbor's primroses as being quite pretty.  My grandma made some comment about how she thought they looked really nice, so Mom said she'd seen some at a local store and she'd point them out to her.  So while they were out today, Mom stops at the store but unfortunately, the primroses are gone.  Cue Grandma getting angry and resentful.  She sat in her seat in the car all stiff and upset until my mom finally asked why she was so upset.  Apparently, Mom never looks out for her and she never asks Mom for anything and the one time she expresses this dear wish of hers Mom didn't bother to take her until it was too late.  The sticking point for my Mom?  "NyaChan, not only did she never say she actually wanted to buy the flowers, she doesn't even want to the flowers for herself! She was going to plant them in OUR garden."

How dare Mom not divine that she wanted those primroses IMMEDIATELY!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21744 on: June 18, 2013, 06:35:53 PM »
Someone stole my stella d'oro lilies right out of the bed in the front of the house!  It's like they were never there in the first place! My kids and DH wouldn't pull them because as it is, it takes a lot to get those kids to weed and even when they do they're always asking "Is this okay to pull?" and DH knows not to pull when I've shown him "I planted that."

(((Hugs))) from a fellow gardener.  Wish you were near me and I could split mine and give you a chunk.

My Dad maintains a memorial garden at his hospital, in memory of my mother.  Some bacon fed knave dug up a miniature rose my Dad planted.  'Hi, honey, I brought you a plant.  Never mind that there's no pot and don't mind all this dirt.  I'll just cut these off and put them in water, shall I?'   ::)  And then there was the guy who pulled out a bunch of lilies because he was so distraught over bad news about a relative.  So when you are upset you like to destroy something in memory of someone who died?  Nice.

I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21745 on: June 18, 2013, 06:40:08 PM »

(((Hugs))) from a fellow gardener.  Wish you were near me and I could split mine and give you a chunk.

My Dad maintains a memorial garden at his hospital, in memory of my mother.  Some bacon fed knave dug up a miniature rose my Dad planted.  'Hi, honey, I brought you a plant.  Never mind that there's no pot and don't mind all this dirt.  I'll just cut these off and put them in water, shall I?'   ::)  And then there was the guy who pulled out a bunch of lilies because he was so distraught over bad news about a relative.  So when you are upset you like to destroy something in memory of someone who died?  Nice.

Well on the upside, my neighbor's lilies have spread into my yard. I'm not the greatest at remembering plant names but they're the tall orange-ish lilies that spread like wildfire.  Of course they're surrounded by poison sumac so I'm going to have to get rid of that first before I can get to the lilies that are now in my yard so I can spread them about. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21746 on: June 18, 2013, 06:42:17 PM »
I call those 'ditch lilies'.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21747 on: June 18, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »
That's what my Iowan friend called them, too.  Said they grow like crazy in the ditches over there. 

dawnfire

« Reply #21748 on: June 18, 2013, 07:15:05 PM »
on the subject of psychics, hubby has given up going to them. They keep telling him he should be dead but knowing how many brushes with death* he's had I'm not surprised

*if your curious, he's been shot numerous, stabbed ,blown up (all in his army career), beaten cancer twice (he flat lined numerous times during chemo), attempted suicide (and failed luckily) and had 2 TIAs (mini strokes).

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #21749 on: June 18, 2013, 07:21:16 PM »
I once got heck (very good-humored heck, but still) for daring to schedule my birthday party when the local football team was playing a home game.  I hate all sports and had no idea they were playing that night.

The real SS part, though, is that one of the guests who said she'd be coming to my party after the game didn't show up after all.  Why?  Because our team lost, and she was so depressed, she just went home.   ::)

Not at all cool -- but, fanatics-for-their-pursuits are fanatics-for-their-pursuits; they can get fanatical to the point that in their minds, their pursuits and what happens in them, trump normal polite behaviour, and override undertakings given to those who are not "fellow-mad-devotees". Like you, I have a hatred of, and total lack of interest in, all sports; but have other hobbies / pursuits, re which my fanaticism runs fairly high (I try nowadays, not to be too much of a jerk about same).

I can -- without approving or applauding -- see where the fanatics are coming from. Perhaps they could be cut a bit of slack, in terms of temporary / situational insanity -- when the stuff about which they're fanatical is not involved, maybe their conduct is polite and normal?
I don't think so, this tends to lead to people monopolising other people's televisions when visiting.

However, one of DH's friends told me about a wedding that took place in a pub on a weekend that two football codes (AFL & NRL) were having the grand final. I think I might have scheduled it some other weekend TBH.