Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5263014 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21780 on: June 19, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »
Just the other day at a store, someone was blowing bubbles and some got on me.  I freaked thinking they were bugs before I saw what they were.  As for driving, maybe bubbles are no more distracting than bunnies or cats or birds, but they all can cause the same startled reaction when they appear out of nowhere.  Who has never slammed on the breaks for a runaway animal, or jolted for a second when rain or hail suddenly fall?  That said, I also know some people have no problem with the unexpected or out-of-context.

Perhaps I ought to clarify.

It was nearly 7pm.  On a not-busy suburban side street.  Which was, as previously mentioned, street-hockey quiet.  Meaning that this is a side street where kids can and do safely play street hockey in the twilight hours of the summer days.

Also, even if I were blowing them in the backyard, it is likely some would have ended up on the street, as they were being carried up, up and away and all around the neighbourhood.

I still see his complaint as petty and snowflakish.  Bubbles are significantly less dangerous than a group of tweens playing street hockey. 

I can't help but wonder how he feels about the evils of sidewalk chalk.

I have to agree with you, Knitterly, I think he was quite SS.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #21781 on: June 19, 2013, 04:46:10 PM »
I was a Special Snowflake for the scolding post I made about off-topicity in this thread. (Cass was right.)

I'm sorry, my friends. That was rude. I should have followed Scritzy's Coke rule.

I'd like to explain, and an explanation is not an excuse, what it is that irritates me.

Bexx 27 said,
A thread is like a conversation. Someone posts a SS story and others discuss the story. Sometimes the discussion is about some other aspect of the story than the SSiness.
And she is quite right.

What irks me is... I'm going to invent an example.

A writes a story, of which the essential details are: "Back in the days when casts were plaster, I had one on my arm. My friends were writing on it. One of them wrote (something inappropriate and rude)! Was she a SS, or what!?!"

A few following posts commiserate with A, or tell stories about something similar. That's fine. They are part of the discussion.

But several posts like this appear: I had a cast, too, but mine was on my leg! - My uncle had one of those plaster casts! - My cousin is an orthopedist! - Casts these days are made of fiberglass!

What say you all? Aren't those kinds of posts off topic?

Sadly,
The embarassed Roo

It's not necessarily what you said, it's how you said it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21782 on: June 19, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »
I was a Special Snowflake for the scolding post I made about off-topicity in this thread. (Cass was right.)

I'm sorry, my friends. That was rude. I should have followed Scritzy's Coke rule.

I'd like to explain, and an explanation is not an excuse, what it is that irritates me.

Bexx 27 said,
A thread is like a conversation. Someone posts a SS story and others discuss the story. Sometimes the discussion is about some other aspect of the story than the SSiness.
And she is quite right.

What irks me is... I'm going to invent an example.

A writes a story, of which the essential details are: "Back in the days when casts were plaster, I had one on my arm. My friends were writing on it. One of them wrote (something inappropriate and rude)! Was she a SS, or what!?!"

A few following posts commiserate with A, or tell stories about something similar. That's fine. They are part of the discussion.

But several posts like this appear: I had a cast, too, but mine was on my leg! - My uncle had one of those plaster casts! - My cousin is an orthopedist! - Casts these days are made of fiberglass!

What say you all? Aren't those kinds of posts off topic?

Sadly,
The embarassed Roo

It's not necessarily what you said, it's how you said it.

I didn't think what she said was that bad  I sensed a pleading tone rather than an annoyed or scolding tone.  But I agree it's all in the delivery.  I've been tempted to say things regarding off-topic or derailments >:D, but I know posting a simple "Perhaps topic X can get it's own board?  Thanks" usually does the trick.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21783 on: June 19, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »
RooRoo, threads, especially ones that go on forever, are bound to drift. Think of it as a verbal conversation--it's the same thing only written. That's the best analogy I can come up with. Bottom line is if the thread irritates you, don't read it. If you do choose to read it, then just roll your eyes and move on when a post annoys you.

There are a lot of posts that aren't mod worthy but provoke a "are you kidding me with this?" in my head, and if I feel strongly enough about it I will post.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

PeterM

« Reply #21784 on: June 19, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
See, I tend to think that a pop-up sprinkler system with motion sensors could be useful in cases like these, where peple steal fruit and plants etc.

It doesn't work on the deer who eat my father-in-law's garden, I can tell you that much. I don't think they even notice. They're also not bothered by cars entering the driveway and moving past them about ten feet away.  The most you get is a raised head and a vague "'sup?" head motion before they go back to eating.

magicdomino

« Reply #21785 on: June 19, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »
If bubbles are wrong, I don't want to be right.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21786 on: June 19, 2013, 05:54:16 PM »
They're also not bothered by cars entering the driveway and moving past them about ten feet away.  The most you get is a raised head and a vague "'sup?" head motion before they go back to eating.

LOL.  Ain't that the truth.  Even the one my Dad smacked in the butt with the broom didn't move off very far.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21787 on: June 19, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »
Reminds me of the horses at Assateague.  The first time we camped there, about 3 years ago, a small group of them were going around to various campsites at lunchtime to mooch food off of the campers.  They were quite pushy about it, too.

One of them started in on my ramen noodles and as the rangers tell you "Do NOT touch them" and "Do not feed them" I was kind of hesitant to push this one away and knew if I pulled the bowl away, the horse would probably come after me since everyone else had finished and our other food was packed away.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21788 on: June 19, 2013, 06:19:47 PM »
Reminds me of the horses at Assateague.  The first time we camped there, about 3 years ago, a small group of them were going around to various campsites at lunchtime to mooch food off of the campers.  They were quite pushy about it, too.

One of them started in on my ramen noodles and as the rangers tell you "Do NOT touch them" and "Do not feed them" I was kind of hesitant to push this one away and knew if I pulled the bowl away, the horse would probably come after me since everyone else had finished and our other food was packed away.

I've pushed them away before if they get too close to the food. I told a ranger about the circumstances and she said that was fine.  However, what they don't want is people just going up to the horses and touching them or trying to coerce them to come closer with food. 

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #21789 on: June 19, 2013, 07:33:06 PM »
Death: He Melvin'd me.

Where's the "LIKE" button???

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21790 on: June 19, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »
Death: He Melvin'd me.

Where's the "LIKE" button???

The character of Death is what I love about that movie the most.  Especially the way he says "He Melvin'd me".
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

snowdragon

« Reply #21791 on: June 19, 2013, 07:49:16 PM »
SSTeacher:
 My niece has a week left of school...she came home today with two bundles - one addressed to her mother, one addressed to me. Inside were projects to be laminated, cutout and labeled with the names of each kid in her class ( 28 kids). The teacher sent a note to my sister that was addressed"Mrs XXXXX" and one to Me "Firstname" I need this done for the last day of school, for our party, please send it back with Katie by at least Friday." ( Today's Wednesday, so I have two days to do this according to her.)
  Frankly I am livid that I am being given homework by a teacher with whom, I have never had a conversation about doing this type of stuff with this is ordering me to do hours of work for her! She knows me because I am one of the folks that can pick up Katie - although I've only done so maybe two or three times since Katie has been in school ( she's in second grade). 
  I am going to go to the school tomorrow and tell her that I am not going to comply - but what would she have done if I had not seen my niece between now and then and she never got told that she needed to do it herself?

NyaChan

« Reply #21792 on: June 19, 2013, 07:52:04 PM »
SSTeacher:
 My niece has a week left of school...she came home today with two bundles - one addressed to her mother, one addressed to me. Inside were projects to be laminated, cutout and labeled with the names of each kid in her class ( 28 kids). The teacher sent a note to my sister that was addressed"Mrs XXXXX" and one to Me "Firstname" I need this done for the last day of school, for our party, please send it back with Katie by at least Friday." ( Today's Wednesday, so I have two days to do this according to her.)
  Frankly I am livid that I am being given homework by a teacher with whom, I have never had a conversation about doing this type of stuff with this is ordering me to do hours of work for her! She knows me because I am one of the folks that can pick up Katie - although I've only done so maybe two or three times since Katie has been in school ( she's in second grade). 
  I am going to go to the school tomorrow and tell her that I am not going to comply - but what would she have done if I had not seen my niece between now and then and she never got told that she needed to do it herself?

That's really weird.  Even if you were someone she knew, whatever happened to making an actual request? Tacking on a "please" doesn't make it less of a demand.

heartmug

« Reply #21793 on: June 19, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »
SSTeacher:

That's really weird.  Even if you were someone she knew, whatever happened to making an actual request? Tacking on a "please" doesn't make it less of a demand.

Really strange!  How about sending a note home a week before hand and asking "Hey Moms and Dads - can anyone help me out?  Here is what I need done to make the last day of school super fun for the kids.  Let me know ASAP."
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Bluenomi

« Reply #21794 on: June 19, 2013, 08:32:11 PM »
I once got heck (very good-humored heck, but still) for daring to schedule my birthday party when the local football team was playing a home game.  I hate all sports and had no idea they were playing that night.

The real SS part, though, is that one of the guests who said she'd be coming to my party after the game didn't show up after all.  Why?  Because our team lost, and she was so depressed, she just went home.   ::)

Not at all cool -- but, fanatics-for-their-pursuits are fanatics-for-their-pursuits; they can get fanatical to the point that in their minds, their pursuits and what happens in them, trump normal polite behaviour, and override undertakings given to those who are not "fellow-mad-devotees". Like you, I have a hatred of, and total lack of interest in, all sports; but have other hobbies / pursuits, re which my fanaticism runs fairly high (I try nowadays, not to be too much of a jerk about same).

I can -- without approving or applauding -- see where the fanatics are coming from. Perhaps they could be cut a bit of slack, in terms of temporary / situational insanity -- when the stuff about which they're fanatical is not involved, maybe their conduct is polite and normal?
I don't think so, this tends to lead to people monopolising other people's televisions when visiting.

However, one of DH's friends told me about a wedding that took place in a pub on a weekend that two football codes (AFL & NRL) were having the grand final. I think I might have scheduled it some other weekend TBH.

We went to a wedding last year on AFL grand final day. The match was actually during the wedding. The HC don't follow football at all so had no idea but DH couldn't believe it. I did point out that the bride barely knew what a ball was and the groom was only interested in sporta that involved bikes. This year we have a wedding on premil final day which DH tihnks is almost as bad  ::)

My cousin's wedding was on Super whatever number it was back then final day and our home team were playing in it at home. My Dad had flown over from the UK for the wedding and was so annoyed his team was playing in the finla a few kms away but he couldn't go! To be fair though my cousin set her wedding date years before the game date was set (it moved around a bit back then)