Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5646825 times)

Miss March

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21795 on: June 19, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
SSTeacher:
 My niece has a week left of school...she came home today with two bundles - one addressed to her mother, one addressed to me. Inside were projects to be laminated, cutout and labeled with the names of each kid in her class ( 28 kids). The teacher sent a note to my sister that was addressed"Mrs XXXXX" and one to Me "Firstname" I need this done for the last day of school, for our party, please send it back with Katie by at least Friday." ( Today's Wednesday, so I have two days to do this according to her.)
  Frankly I am livid that I am being given homework by a teacher with whom, I have never had a conversation about doing this type of stuff with this is ordering me to do hours of work for her! She knows me because I am one of the folks that can pick up Katie - although I've only done so maybe two or three times since Katie has been in school ( she's in second grade). 
  I am going to go to the school tomorrow and tell her that I am not going to comply - but what would she have done if I had not seen my niece between now and then and she never got told that she needed to do it herself?

Wait. Katie is your niece, and her teacher sent YOU a request to do homework for her class (along with Katie's mom)? I have a whole passel of nieces and nephews, and none of their teachers has ever tried to make me do a class project.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #21796 on: June 19, 2013, 11:25:02 PM »

unnalee

« Reply #21797 on: June 19, 2013, 11:30:37 PM »
My place of employment is in the midst of a huge (they expect 10,000 people in attendance over 5 days of activities) regional ethnic festival right now, which means we have MANY more visitors than normal.  While my job title is archivist, I also serve as default librarian and artifact curator to our varied collections. 

While I was helping out with a presentation this morning, the exhibits in our reading room were manned by several volunteers.  While they had basic training in directing visitors and answering questions, they do not have special knowledge about, nor permission to handle items stored in the stacks.

When I got back to my office, the volunteers told me how a woman came in and while looking through our viewing windows (large windows that open into the stacks, but have simple artifact displays set up in them) she noticed that we had a unique musical instrument on display BEHIND the glass.  She then demanded the volunteers should move the instrument to a table out in the open so that she could study it up close and more people could see it, and complained to all and sundry that such craftsmanship was waisted behind glass.  It was an instrument meant to be touched, and we weren't doing it justice.

Thankfully, my volunteers were awesome and said that they had no power to make those kind of decisions.  And that's the exact reason I keep the stack door locked when I'm not there.  I've had many people violate the "Employees Only" directive on the door.  Plus, it takes at least 2 people to safely move an antique 38 string, 2 sided concert kantele (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kantele).  It's the only one like it I've ever seen.  No way I'm going to take it out of a climate controlled area to be touched by hundreds of curious, untrained, oily hands just to satisfy her whim.

Volunteers told her she could come back and talk to me about setting up an appointment to study it.  She left in a huff and didn't come back to see me, thankfully.

Edited because I theoretically know the difference between a "c" and a "g". 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:52:44 AM by unnalee »

Bluenomi

« Reply #21798 on: June 20, 2013, 12:30:21 AM »
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/3845206-have-your-say-about-the-wedding-gift-firestorm/

SS brides and insulted guest = blizzard.

I was about to post that! Got interesting didn't it!

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #21799 on: June 20, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/3845206-have-your-say-about-the-wedding-gift-firestorm/

That made my jaw drop! I thought the first text was okay - clueless, but okay. Not technically etiquette-approved, but if she really had been gluten intolorant (which doesn't seem to be the case), I could understand her, and would give her a pass.

But her wife's text two days later??? WOW! What a SS!!!

I don't see the insulted guest as being a SS. (S)he 'just' became guilty of retaliatory rudeness... Which I can understand even though I wouldn't have done it myself.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

NyaChan

« Reply #21800 on: June 20, 2013, 12:57:21 AM »

That made my jaw drop! I thought the first text was okay - clueless, but okay. Not technically etiquette-approved, but if she really had been gluten intolorant (which doesn't seem to be the case), I could understand her, and would give her a pass.

But her wife's text two days later??? WOW! What a SS!!!

I don't see the insulted guest as being a SS. (S)he 'just' became guilty of retaliatory rudeness... Which I can understand even though I wouldn't have done it myself.

Quite a story.  I agree, the Brides were SS and the guest sinned by way of retaliatory rudeness. Totally surrendered the high ground there. Why care what a couple you have no relationship with and are clearly in the wrong think anyways?

AngelicGamer

« Reply #21801 on: June 20, 2013, 01:07:16 AM »

I want to know how he ate a beautiful venue.  :) 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21802 on: June 20, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »

Appalling -- in so many ways!

I remember that when my son had just graduated from college and had only worked at his job for a few months, an old girlfriend of his from high school got married and he was invited to the wedding.  He could have but did not take a +1.  He attended alone. 

His gift was this gorgeous picnic basket with two plates, bowls, stemware and cutlery and a ground spreadable type tablecloth.  Even then (maybe twelve years ago) the basket cost much more than the $30 being bandied about here, and it didn't even contain food at all!  Bride and husband apparently loved it, or at least they had the decency to say they did. 

I thought it was an awesome gift for them and am quite puzzled at the number of people on the site above who thought it was "cheap".

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #21803 on: June 20, 2013, 10:07:03 AM »
I got a basket like that for my wedding, and I thought it was a really neat gift.  Except that, of course, we found we don't go on picnics and never used it.  :(  Looking at it made me feel guilty for *years*.  I think we used the food from it but eventually passed on the basket and plates, glasses, etc.  At least then I didn't have to feel guilty anymore!  Although I sort of do when I think about it now.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #21804 on: June 20, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
I think that sounds like a really cute gift and would be thrilled if someone gave it to me. In fact, I've given similar gifts in the past (one couple likes to BBQ, so I gave them a selection of interesting BBQ sauces/marinades along with a BB&B gift card, another couple likes to bake so I gave them a couple of fancy cupcake and frosting mixes from World Market with a Target gift card).

IDriveADodgeStratus

« Reply #21805 on: June 20, 2013, 11:07:36 AM »
SSTeacher:
 My niece has a week left of school...she came home today with two bundles - one addressed to her mother, one addressed to me. Inside were projects to be laminated, cutout and labeled with the names of each kid in her class ( 28 kids). The teacher sent a note to my sister that was addressed"Mrs XXXXX" and one to Me "Firstname" I need this done for the last day of school, for our party, please send it back with Katie by at least Friday." ( Today's Wednesday, so I have two days to do this according to her.)
  Frankly I am livid that I am being given homework by a teacher with whom, I have never had a conversation about doing this type of stuff with this is ordering me to do hours of work for her! She knows me because I am one of the folks that can pick up Katie - although I've only done so maybe two or three times since Katie has been in school ( she's in second grade). 
  I am going to go to the school tomorrow and tell her that I am not going to comply - but what would she have done if I had not seen my niece between now and then and she never got told that she needed to do it herself?

Unbelievable!!   :o

Amara

« Reply #21806 on: June 20, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »

None of them can hold their head up as a paragon of etiquette. Very distasteful behavior and words all around.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #21807 on: June 20, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »
A fave wedding gift we received was a basket of all the toppings and goodies needed for ice cream sundaes, including the cute service, "just add ice cream."

I guess for the SS bride, no poor students, no one laid off, no one facing a mountain of bills, and no one saving their own money on a tight budget, should share in her joy. 

Only the rich.

And, hey, that comment about "no gifts in the past 50 years" cannot be true, because I have been to some even in the past 5 years and there was still a nicely stacked gift table! 
And what about registering? 

uncouth bride, who way overpaid at $97 a plate, no matter how nice the venue!!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21808 on: June 20, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »
snowdragon wrote:

"Frankly I am livid that I am being given homework by a teacher with whom, I have never had a conversation about doing this type of stuff with this is ordering me to do hours of work for her!"

There was another thread about this a while ago, where a teacher sent work home with no preamble.  Here, as there, I suggest that you return the work to the teacher without being livid, because it might simply be a mistake.  She might have asked someone, gotten permission and then accidentally marked your niece's name as the student whose contacts are willing to help.  So give it or send it back, but avoid blowing up until you're sure that it's more than a clerical error.

Virg

Shalamar

« Reply #21809 on: June 20, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »
And if it WASN'T an error, and she really did mean to send you homework - that is an "I'm sorry, but that won't be possible" situation if I ever heard one.