Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5418595 times)

Shalamar

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21810 on: June 20, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »
And if it WASN'T an error, and she really did mean to send you homework - that is an "I'm sorry, but that won't be possible" situation if I ever heard one.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21811 on: June 20, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »
And if it WASN'T an error, and she really did mean to send you homework - that is an "I'm sorry, but that won't be possible" situation if I ever heard one.
Or maybe the niece volunteered her mom and aunt. I've had kids do that before. When I sent home a note asking for volunteers to do X. Then I had student crying that Mom or Aunt had said to bring home X. If I send it home. I might end up with an irritated parent/aunt. If I don't I also might get an irritated parent/aunt, who doesn't understand why telling my kid wasn't enough why do I have to send back that piece of paper (that required her to sign her name).
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

snowdragon

« Reply #21812 on: June 20, 2013, 06:51:53 PM »
snowdragon wrote:

"Frankly I am livid that I am being given homework by a teacher with whom, I have never had a conversation about doing this type of stuff with this is ordering me to do hours of work for her!"

There was another thread about this a while ago, where a teacher sent work home with no preamble.  Here, as there, I suggest that you return the work to the teacher without being livid, because it might simply be a mistake.  She might have asked someone, gotten permission and then accidentally marked your niece's name as the student whose contacts are willing to help.  So give it or send it back, but avoid blowing up until you're sure that it's more than a clerical error.

Virg

It was not a mistake. I went in this morning with my niece and my sister. Niece was dropped off in the Library while we went in to talk to the teacher. She greeted us with " Hi Mrs XXXXX and Myfirstname. That was fast."  When I put the stuff on the desk and told her that I had not volunteered for this and it was not possible for me to do this, she lectured me about supporting teachers and students and told me "I know you're only an aunt, but everyone needs to their part, obviously you don't care how this failure on your part will affect your niece" 
  I walked out and into the office to discuss this with the principal - who will "have a talk with her about doing her own work. And about extending the same level of courtesy to all ( addressing me by first name while  calling my sister by title and expecting us to call her by title.). Principal was unamused.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21813 on: June 20, 2013, 07:05:58 PM »
snowdragon wrote:

"Frankly I am livid that I am being given homework by a teacher with whom, I have never had a conversation about doing this type of stuff with this is ordering me to do hours of work for her!"

There was another thread about this a while ago, where a teacher sent work home with no preamble.  Here, as there, I suggest that you return the work to the teacher without being livid, because it might simply be a mistake.  She might have asked someone, gotten permission and then accidentally marked your niece's name as the student whose contacts are willing to help.  So give it or send it back, but avoid blowing up until you're sure that it's more than a clerical error.

Virg

It was not a mistake. I went in this morning with my niece and my sister. Niece was dropped off in the Library while we went in to talk to the teacher. She greeted us with " Hi Mrs XXXXX and Myfirstname. That was fast."  When I put the stuff on the desk and told her that I had not volunteered for this and it was not possible for me to do this, she lectured me about supporting teachers and students and told me "I know you're only an aunt, but everyone needs to their part, obviously you don't care how this failure on your part will affect your niece" 
  I walked out and into the office to discuss this with the principal - who will "have a talk with her about doing her own work. And about extending the same level of courtesy to all ( addressing me by first name while  calling my sister by title and expecting us to call her by title.). Principal was unamused.

Not to mention the threat she made about your niece?  I wonder what she meant by "how it will affect your niece."  I HOPE she didn't mean your niece would suffer consequences.  That would be so wrong.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #21814 on: June 20, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »
Sounds like somebody's in the wrong line of work. Collecting protection money might be a better career for this person. "Nice little niece you gotz dere. It'd be real tragic if somethin' was to happen to her. Capice?"

Teacher failings: 1) Sending home work for parents/family without checking first; 2) Lecturing you on "supporting teachers" when you refuse to be coerced; 3) Implied threats to the child; 4) "Only an aunt" and other disrespect. Frankly #1 is disrespectful of any parent -- your sister needs to be in the principle's office, too, along with any other "voluntold" parents she can collect.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #21815 on: June 21, 2013, 11:53:21 PM »
Gimme pig SS: Apparently Mom won the same prize in two completely separate, unrelated sweepstakes. So a random person  on her contest board (who she'd never talked to / heard of) publicly posted "You don't need two widgets. That's selfish. Send one to me so I can give it to my son."  :o
*ETA: publicly, not by PM

I'm still fiftyish pages behind, but this reminded me of a story. A few Halloweens ago, two local radio DJs told a story about the company Halloween party. There had been raffles, and one of the items was something like a 55" LCD TV, which one of the DJs won. Apparently a lot of people were upset that he won, because he was so well paid* he could just go buy a 55" TV any time he wanted to, so he should give it away. Pretty sure he was told that by multiple people. Some guy even came up to him in the parking lot and said "must be nice to win stuff" or something passive aggressive like that. He said "yeah, it is." He kept the TV.

*He is well paid and is very open about that; this isn't a matter of assumptions. He makes at least six figures in a midwest state where that is a very good living, and their show is syndicated in several markets.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #21816 on: June 22, 2013, 09:27:34 PM »
I nominate.. .the people down the street from me that are currently setting off fireworks and have done so almost every night since fathers day... >.<

Yarnspinner

« Reply #21817 on: June 22, 2013, 09:47:39 PM »
Okay--nominating the ladies who were absolutely stunned that they would have to operate the copy machine on their own.  Seriously:  you are planning on becoming a radiology technician or an X-ray therapist or Other Medical Machine Operator and you are stymied by a copy machine?  Please tell me which hospitals you will be working for so that I can cross those off my go-to list

Yarnspinner

« Reply #21818 on: June 22, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/3845206-have-your-say-about-the-wedding-gift-firestorm/

SS brides and insulted guest = blizzard.

I was about to post that! Got interesting didn't it!

That made my jaw drop! I thought the first text was okay - clueless, but okay. Not technically etiquette-approved, but if she really had been gluten intolorant (which doesn't seem to be the case), I could understand her, and would give her a pass.

But her wife's text two days later??? WOW! What a SS!!!

I don't see the insulted guest as being a SS. (S)he 'just' became guilty of retaliatory rudeness... Which I can understand even though I wouldn't have done it myself.

Quite a story.  I agree, the Brides were SS and the guest sinned by way of retaliatory rudeness. Totally surrendered the high ground there. Why care what a couple you have no relationship with and are clearly in the wrong think anyways?

When my brother married for the first time, one of the gifts I gave (at the shower) was an ice chest (which brother still uses though he is now married to second wife) which I had filled with a variety of exotic pancake and bread mixes, unusual cereals from around the world, various Indian curries and so forth.  Not to mention a couple bottles of bubbly.  I guarantee that it cost WAY more than thirty bucks and that was twenty years ago.   I'm willing to bet that the basket gift cost well above the cost of two dinners and might have been the priciest gift the brides  got, money or no.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21819 on: June 22, 2013, 10:15:15 PM »
I nominate.. .the people down the street from me that are currently setting off fireworks and have done so almost every night since fathers day... >.<

Someone is setting off fireworks in my neighborhood right now too (9:15pm).  I think this is only the first night though.  Going by history, it won't be the last :( >:(.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #21820 on: June 22, 2013, 10:38:21 PM »
Someone in the neighborhood did two really loud booming fireworks.  So loud that I had to go check my roof to make sure something didn't hit it - it was that loud.  I'm thinking that someone was setting them off due to the Hawks scoring.  Both booms happened within two to three minutes of scoring happening in the Stanley Cup game.

I love my team, but after that happened for a second time, I'm kind of praying they don't score again and hold Bruins off 2-1.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #21821 on: June 22, 2013, 10:42:15 PM »
Yikes! That is scary. Well it's been going on for two hours now. It stops occasionally and starts up again... >.<

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21822 on: June 22, 2013, 10:49:12 PM »

Do you live on my street? I saw something flashing just over the edge of my porch (living room windows look out to the porch) and when I went out on the porch and leaned over the side, one of our neighbor's kids was crouched in the alley between our house and their backyard about to light another firecracker.  I asked the kid to not do that so close to our house then came in and heard a high pitched whistle but nothing else.

Then nothing, so I hope that means they're done. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

AngelicGamer

« Reply #21823 on: June 22, 2013, 10:54:17 PM »
Update on the boomer - happened again right after Hawks scored.  *sigh*  Thank Deity the game is over.   ;D

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Stanwyck

« Reply #21824 on: June 23, 2013, 12:11:44 AM »
AngelicGamer, be prepared to hear even more fireworks when the Hawks win the Cup on Monday.  ;D
And don't forget that July Fourth is coming up. I suggest noise canceling headphones for the next couple of weeks.

Topic? People who set off illegal fireworks are SS.