Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5423503 times)

snowfire

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21825 on: June 23, 2013, 12:26:50 AM »
I love fireworks, I have been a professional pyrotechnician.  The amateurs who live in the street behind me who set off aerial shells, in a residential neighborhood, where almost everyone has cedar shake roofs make me more than crazy.  I'm scared to death they will light the houses on fire.  They are setting off serious shells.  By my eye, anywhere from 3 - 6 inch.  WAAAAAY too big for the location they are launching from.  They were doing it last night & they'll do it for the 4th of July....and probably some nights in between.  If I could find out where they were launching from I'd have the cops on them so fast!

AngelicGamer

« Reply #21826 on: June 23, 2013, 12:38:19 AM »
AngelicGamer, be prepared to hear even more fireworks when the Hawks win the Cup on Monday.  ;D
And don't forget that July Fourth is coming up. I suggest noise canceling headphones for the next couple of weeks.

Topic? People who set off illegal fireworks are SS.

I just have to put a new battery into the noise canceling headphones.  I'm going to have to hook them up to the TV so I can listen to the game.  ;D  And, luckily, our new puppy is all "...fireworks?  What fireworks.  It's all chill dudes".

I can handle it on July 4th.  I'm ready for it and they're rarely the loud booming fireworks.  It was just today that I got really startled by it.

I agree with topic.  Also, people who come and snap at you for having a puppy on a harness with leash.  Dude, her neck is small and a collar, with her tugging (we're working on it), would make her airway collapse.  Luckily I can just scoop her up and take her inside, locking the door behind me.  :)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #21827 on: June 23, 2013, 12:58:49 AM »
Isn't hockey supposed to be a winter sport?  It's almost July!  ;)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #21828 on: June 23, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
AngelicGamer, be prepared to hear even more fireworks when the Hawks win the Cup on Monday.  ;D
And don't forget that July Fourth is coming up. I suggest noise canceling headphones for the next couple of weeks.

I think you meant Bruins  :P
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

BarensMom

« Reply #21829 on: June 23, 2013, 01:23:56 AM »

I just have to put a new battery into the noise canceling headphones.  I'm going to have to hook them up to the TV so I can listen to the game.  ;D  And, luckily, our new puppy is all "...fireworks?  What fireworks.  It's all chill dudes".

I can handle it on July 4th.  I'm ready for it and they're rarely the loud booming fireworks.  It was just today that I got really startled by it.
(snip)

It's time for my annual anti-fireworks rant.  It (literally) scares the p** out of Baren and I know I'm going to spend the entire week keeping him deeply tranquilized and watching him breathe.  What part of it being illegal in the city, not to mention county, don't these morons understand?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:25:34 AM by BarensMom »

AngelicGamer

« Reply #21830 on: June 23, 2013, 01:50:57 AM »

Well, for one, afbluebelle, Bruins can't win the Cup on Monday.  They're down a game.  And honestly, if they're really leaving their net wide open so someone can score from half ice, they don't deserve the Cup in my opinion.  I don't know a lot about hockey, but I don't think you're supposed to do that.  ;)

BarensMom - ugh, I am so sorry.  Hugs to you and Baren.  I really hope that it passes quickly this year.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #21831 on: June 23, 2013, 01:52:20 AM »
First, Go Hawks.. and by that, I mean Go Anyone Who Isn't The Bruins.  (Seriously, I have no problem with Boston or any other Boston team, but the Bruins?  Yeah.)  Secondly, I didn't know so many of us lived on the same street!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #21832 on: June 23, 2013, 02:27:51 AM »
First, Go Hawks.. and by that, I mean Go Anyone Who Isn't The Bruins.  (Seriously, I have no problem with Boston or any other Boston team, but the Bruins?  Yeah.)  Secondly, I didn't know so many of us lived on the same street!

I know right? I propose an ehellion barbecue! Errr... that would be... a barbecue held by ehellions, not you know, actually barbecuing any ehellions...

AngelicGamer

« Reply #21833 on: June 23, 2013, 03:05:08 AM »

I know right? I propose an ehellion barbecue! Errr... that would be... a barbecue held by ehellions, not you know, actually barbecuing any ehellions...

I've got hot dogs!  :)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #21834 on: June 23, 2013, 03:12:00 AM »
Update on the boomer - happened again right after Hawks scored.  *sigh*  Thank Deity the game is over.   ;D

Let's hope they're not basketball fans!   :P

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #21835 on: June 23, 2013, 06:44:27 AM »

I agree with topic.  Also, people who come and snap at you for having a puppy on a harness with leash.  Dude, her neck is small and a collar, with her tugging (we're working on it), would make her airway collapse.  Luckily I can just scoop her up and take her inside, locking the door behind me.  :)

Why is having a puppy on a harness bad? I always thought harnesses looked more comfy and seemed to allow far more control for training.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #21836 on: June 23, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »
There's a special snowflake in my neighborhood who has a cannon that he likes to set off. It hasn't endeared him to anyone that I know of.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #21837 on: June 23, 2013, 10:22:44 AM »
The rental house at the end of the block seems to attract an unending stream of Special Snowflake druggie bad parents.

The most recent tenants moved in last summer.  They quickly made “friends” with my sociable next-door neighbor Gary.  Two days after the Snowflake family moved in, Gary and I were lounging by my pool.  Snowflake parents let themselves through my gate and came down to the pool, allegedly to talk to Gary, who introduced them to me. 

It took less than five minutes for the Snowflake parents to start telling me how much their kids (at least six of them) were going to enjoy using my pool.  I managed to put a stop to that.

Yesterday Gary told me that the Snowflakes were pestering him to persuade me to let their kids use my pool this summer.

Let’s see . . . Snowflake parents are known drug abusers and have been in and out of rehab this past year.  They owe Gary money.  Their swarm of children is not closely supervised.  One day the 5-year-old was in another neighbor’s yard with a machete, chopping down the garden.  The father’s response was “So?” 

These people have made no effort to befriend me (for which I’m grateful).  I’m astounded that they think someone they barely know would give their crazy family open access to a pool.  Of course, they believe that their children are perfectly behaved little angels.

It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21838 on: June 23, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »
The rental house at the end of the block seems to attract an unending stream of Special Snowflake druggie bad parents.

The most recent tenants moved in last summer.  They quickly made “friends” with my sociable next-door neighbor Gary.  Two days after the Snowflake family moved in, Gary and I were lounging by my pool.  Snowflake parents let themselves through my gate and came down to the pool, allegedly to talk to Gary, who introduced them to me. 

It took less than five minutes for the Snowflake parents to start telling me how much their kids (at least six of them) were going to enjoy using my pool.  I managed to put a stop to that.

Yesterday Gary told me that the Snowflakes were pestering him to persuade me to let their kids use my pool this summer.

Let’s see . . . Snowflake parents are known drug abusers and have been in and out of rehab this past year.  They owe Gary money.  Their swarm of children is not closely supervised.  One day the 5-year-old was in another neighbor’s yard with a machete, chopping down the garden.  The father’s response was “So?” 

These people have made no effort to befriend me (for which I’m grateful).  I’m astounded that they think someone they barely know would give their crazy family open access to a pool.  Of course, they believe that their children are perfectly behaved little angels.

There are stories about young children drowning in pools every summer - I've been seeing them in the media since we lived in Phoenix, Arizona (USA - the city is in a desert) some thirty odd years ago. 

Locks on gates and high fences were a legal requirement in Arizona at the time.  We got keyed padlocks for the gates.  I'd suggest getting a GOOD padlock and leaving the gate locked at all times when the OP isn't in the yard, and a strong latch to keep it shut when she is in the pool - but might be expecting someone to come over. 

Because "good fences make good neighbors" - and good strong latches on the gates are an important part of a good fence.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21839 on: June 23, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »

Why is having a puppy on a harness bad? I always thought harnesses looked more comfy and seemed to allow far more control for training.

I thought so too!