Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5101415 times)

mmswm

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21855 on: June 23, 2013, 08:28:24 PM »
I've said this before, but it's relevant here too...

Boys will be boys, which is why parents have to be parents.

My boys tried to pee outside in random places before, but it's my job to stop them and correct them.  It's a boy thing to try to do it, but it's a parent thing to teach them why that's not okay.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

NyaChan

« Reply #21856 on: June 23, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »

My boys tried to pee outside in random places before, but it's my job to stop them and correct them.  It's a boy thing to try to do it, but it's a parent thing to teach them why that's not okay.

That's a nice turn of phrase :)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21857 on: June 23, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »

It's one thing to do it in the woods behind a tree.  I confess to having done that a few times myself - of necessity - and I've never even been a boy!  But to do it in someone else's front yard is quite a different scenario!!

mmswm

« Reply #21858 on: June 23, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »

That's a nice turn of phrase :)

Thank you. :)

Gramma, of course there's exceptions to the rule.  I think we've all found ourselves in an emergency situation like that, but there's a huge difference between that and randomly peeing on your neighbor's lawn.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #21859 on: June 23, 2013, 09:37:01 PM »
BG: Back in jr high, I moved to a new school in a different state. There was one group of nasty girls who randomly decided that, because I was new and also a different race than them, it was okay to throw pinecones at my head, make rude comments & try to shove my boyfriend and I off the top of the school bleachers. I was glad when we moved again the next year and didn't have to see those jerks anymore.

Tonight I was at a restaurant having dinner with my parents. The girl sent to take our drink order (SS) looked at me kind of funny. Her expression changed from confusion to shock and then visible discomfort. I recognized her right away. She was one of the bullies from jr high. I kept that to myself, though, and acted like everything was fine.

When Dad was paying the bill, SS randomly chirped "I went to school with her!  :D" All I could think was "Well no poop, Sherlock.  ::) Please don't try to snow us now with 'we were girlhood school chums who skipped and held hands'" 

StarFaerie

« Reply #21860 on: June 23, 2013, 10:44:05 PM »
The rental house at the end of the block seems to attract an unending stream of Special Snowflake druggie bad parents.

The most recent tenants moved in last summer.  They quickly made ďfriendsĒ with my sociable next-door neighbor Gary.  Two days after the Snowflake family moved in, Gary and I were lounging by my pool.  Snowflake parents let themselves through my gate and came down to the pool, allegedly to talk to Gary, who introduced them to me. 

It took less than five minutes for the Snowflake parents to start telling me how much their kids (at least six of them) were going to enjoy using my pool.  I managed to put a stop to that.

Yesterday Gary told me that the Snowflakes were pestering him to persuade me to let their kids use my pool this summer.

Letís see . . . Snowflake parents are known drug abusers and have been in and out of rehab this past year.  They owe Gary money.  Their swarm of children is not closely supervised.  One day the 5-year-old was in another neighborís yard with a machete, chopping down the garden.  The fatherís response was ďSo?Ē 

These people have made no effort to befriend me (for which Iím grateful).  Iím astounded that they think someone they barely know would give their crazy family open access to a pool.  Of course, they believe that their children are perfectly behaved little angels.

There are stories about young children drowning in pools every summer - I've been seeing them in the media since we lived in Phoenix, Arizona (USA - the city is in a desert) some thirty odd years ago. 

Locks on gates and high fences were a legal requirement in Arizona at the time.  We got keyed padlocks for the gates.  I'd suggest getting a GOOD padlock and leaving the gate locked at all times when the OP isn't in the yard, and a strong latch to keep it shut when she is in the pool - but might be expecting someone to come over. 

Because "good fences make good neighbors" - and good strong latches on the gates are an important part of a good fence.
POD - and if you ever find the kids in your yard/pool - call the cops reporting the kids for tresspassing and the parents for neglect.

Our house was broken into and the cops were sure it was kids from what was taken. The cops advised my parents to look into better security around the pool because if the kids had gotten drunk (they had scattered the contents of Dad's wet bar around) and drowned we could have been facing civil law suit.

We were on vacation and figure at a neighbor coming into the garage to feed the cat scared them off. (The people looking after our house had a BIL, who was a Border Patrol Officer murdered. They had left in a hurry to go to the family - but arranged for a mutual friend to feed the cat. Forgot to have them pick up the paper)

Please don't put keyed padlocks on pool gates unless you are 100% certain the rest of the fence is secure or you put in a breakwall or removable bars elsewhere in the fence. If a child finds a way in by going around, under or over the fences and falls in the pool or gets in trouble while in the pool, adults may not be able to get to them in time to save them.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #21861 on: June 23, 2013, 10:52:04 PM »
In Australua, it's a requirement by law to have a pool fenced with a secure gate.

snowdragon

« Reply #21862 on: June 23, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »
It is  required that a pool gate be locked in many towns near here, too. Along with having an alarm so that if a kid gets in it sounds.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21863 on: June 23, 2013, 11:59:22 PM »
I think that everyone with a pool needs to check their local legal requirements to protect themselves, check their insurance company about what they recommend for both security and coverage, and be polite about maintaining firm boundaries on who is allowed to use their pool and when....and who is not.

The law varies.

But human nature does not - when it is HOT, we want to cool off and a pool looks like a great place to cool off.  And not just to people, I've fished a strange dog out of a pool before....it took a while to figure out how it got into the fenced back yard.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #21864 on: June 24, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »
I was going to put this in the "Beggers, Moochers and Scammers" thread but upon reflection, it seems to be a better fit here since the subject certainly thought he was special!

I know someone whose husband, George, has a full time job but does a service job on the side (think something seasonal, like pool maintenance.) for a small group of people they know.

As soon as it gets warm, they are flooded with calls from everyone asking them to come by and service their pool.  He is paid and most of the clients understand that he has a full time job and will do the service as soon as he can but I've heard awful stories.  Some people can be very demanding and don't like to wait.  AFAIK, George doesn't have any sort of contract with anyone dictating that he needs to respond to a call in any sort of time frame, he just has the ability and license to do the service and he's someone they can call when they need it.  If he can't do it in the time frame they want, they're free to call anyone else.

Recently, they got a call from someone they did not know ("I got your number from Joe!") and this person demanded George come out immediately to service his pool.  George told him that the earliest he could come out was on the weekend (in three days).  This was "unacceptable!" and George "WILL come out and service his pool TODAY!!"

George told the man that is would not be possible and if he wanted to set up an appointment for Saturday, he could come out then.  The man hung up on him. 

Like the others (and a complete stranger to boot) he does not have any sort of contract with George, I have no idea why he thought George had an obligation to drop everything and scurry to his house to service his pool!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21865 on: June 24, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »
This was probably more a failure to communicate than a true SS story but I think it belongs here.

Our library had a staff of two and very limited seating space.  The collections were also very special and we were considered the best library of its type in the Western Hemisphere.  All this meant that researchers had to make appointments to visit. 

Most researchers were very good about this but there were a few who didn't quite get it.  They would make appointments, show up on time and do their work.  On the way out, they would say how useful the visit had been.  Before we learned better, we'd reply with something like, 'Good.  You're welcome back any time'. 

That was the big mistake.  They believed that they literally could come back any time and would never have to make another appointment.  That meant they would show up when we had no seats left, during our lunch hour or 15 minutes before we closed on a Friday. 

Because English was a second language for many of these folks, our explanations sounded like we were backing out on a promise.  It took some very delicate negotiations to stop the chaos. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21866 on: June 24, 2013, 12:26:41 PM »
When Dad was paying the bill, SS randomly chirped "I went to school with her!  :D" All I could think was "Well no poop, Sherlock.  ::) Please don't try to snow us now with 'we were girlhood school chums who skipped and held hands'"

I'd have been *so* tempted to say, without any particular heat, "Yeah, you were really nasty to me." And turn and walk out.

I guess because you ignored that fact, she felt both safe to bring it up, and sort of miffed that it wasn't acknowledged.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21867 on: June 24, 2013, 01:09:54 PM »

I'd have been *so* tempted to say, without any particular heat, "Yeah, you were really nasty to me." And turn and walk out.

I guess because you ignored that fact, she felt both safe to bring it up, and sort of miffed that it wasn't acknowledged.

I'd have been tempted to shrug and say out loud to your Dad (since he was the one she addressed), "That's funny, Dad.  I don't remember her at all" thereby crushing any illusions in her own mind that her relentless torment had any effect on you at all.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21868 on: June 24, 2013, 02:05:11 PM »

I'd have been tempted to shrug and say out loud to your Dad (since he was the one she addressed), "That's funny, Dad.  I don't remember her at all" thereby crushing any illusions in her own mind that her relentless torment had any effect on you at all.

Or, ooh, there's "oh, and you work here now?" and look around the restaurant a bit disdainfully, to imply that working as a waitress at a diner is not something to aspire to. (Not that I think there's anything wrong w/it--waitresses work hard! and their work is valuable, which is why I never tip less than 18% and often more than 20%)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #21869 on: June 24, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »

Or, ooh, there's "oh, and you work here now?" and look around the restaurant a bit disdainfully, to imply that working as a waitress at a diner is not something to aspire to. (Not that I think there's anything wrong w/it--waitresses work hard! and their work is valuable, which is why I never tip less than 18% and often more than 20%)

I couldn't have used the "Oh, a waitress ?" bit, since I hand out samples at a grocery store.