Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4428610 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21885 on: June 25, 2013, 03:57:13 AM »
Recently, they got a call from someone they did not know ("I got your number from Joe!") and this person demanded George come out immediately to service his pool.  George told him that the earliest he could come out was on the weekend (in three days).  This was "unacceptable!" and George "WILL come out and service his pool TODAY!!"

George told the man that is would not be possible and if he wanted to set up an appointment for Saturday, he could come out then.  The man hung up on him. 

Someone needs to slap some sense into George so he stops setting himself up for these situations. At the very least he has to stop being willing to work for free for people who talk to him like that.

2littlemonkeys said he does get paid.  I don't see that George set himself up for anything, this is all on the SS.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #21886 on: June 25, 2013, 09:19:44 AM »
snip

2.  Now that we have a dog, I take her for a walk after work.  I live in Waikiki.  It is illegal to ride bicycles, scooters, skateboards, and roller skates on the sidewalks in Waikiki.  Little Honey Girl has almost been run over every day by bicyclist and the skateboard wheels scare her.  Yesterday the cyclist yelled at me for not having Honey Girl on a short enough lead.  Honey was, at most, 1 foot away from my left heel, which I consider "at heel."  The cyclist used profanity.  I replied, "It's illegal to ride that bike on this sidewalk."  Over his shoulder, the cyclist yelled that he would kill "that little dog if he gets in my way."  :o Why oh why don't the police enforce the law? >:(

I have recently learned that it is illegal to ride anything but a bicycle or to walk/run in the bike lanes here in Florida. Signs are posted every few miles stating that the lanes are for bicycles only, not skateboards or walking. Every day, I see people walking in the bike lanes, and I find that very SS, especially when there is more than one person and they walk abreast, into the driving lane next to them.

alkira6

« Reply #21887 on: June 25, 2013, 09:43:20 AM »
Sorry, but bike lanes drive me nuts in my city.  Over the past year over 50 miles of bike lanes/paths have been put in at great expense.  Yet somehow I still get people riding bikes sloooooooooowly in the road right next to the bike lanes. The clearly marked bike lanes. The brand new, really expensive, reduced an already congested area to one lane on either side bike lanes.  The bike lanes that are as wide as a regular street lane because that is exactly what was marked off bike lanes.

Yes, you have the right to use the road, I am not denying that. However I now roll my eyes hard enough to sprain something when the riding clubs whine about not getting any respect on the roads.  Someone was recently hit in the road on their bike and is getting no sympathy at all because they were deliberately obstructing traffic flow by swerving on and off this insanely wide bike path and into traffic. 

Adelaide

« Reply #21888 on: June 25, 2013, 10:12:05 AM »
There's a girl in graduate school here who is from Europe who is a bit of a snob about America. She got dual citizenship when she was 7 years old but says that she "isn't really" a citizen of America and hates it here, and that things are so much better in her country, that she doesn't "claim" America as her country, etc. Her parents both live in America and her other relatives live in said foreign country. I get that a lot of people aren't very pleased with the U.S. right now but if you're going to gripe about it 24/7 (when the country you're "really" from doesn't have the educational opportunities you want) you're spending too much energy trying to go to school here.

This isn't even about politics or foreign affairs. This is someone who made her bed and doesn't want to lie in it. I see the same thing happen with people from the south who choose to come up here (not because they're backed into a corner, but because they want to) and gripe about the cold weather and how the south is so much better, etc.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21889 on: June 25, 2013, 11:05:57 AM »
I think for those people, you should say, quite sympathetically, "You sound really unhappy! Maybe you should move back."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #21890 on: June 25, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »
Recently, they got a call from someone they did not know ("I got your number from Joe!") and this person demanded George come out immediately to service his pool.  George told him that the earliest he could come out was on the weekend (in three days).  This was "unacceptable!" and George "WILL come out and service his pool TODAY!!"

George told the man that is would not be possible and if he wanted to set up an appointment for Saturday, he could come out then.  The man hung up on him. 

Someone needs to slap some sense into George so he stops setting himself up for these situations. At the very least he has to stop being willing to work for free for people who talk to him like that.

Oh, he doesn't work for free, he does charge them (I'm sure it's the friends and family discount though).

ETA: He also never did anything for this guy.  He was willing to set up an appointment for when HE could do it but he wasn't going to drop everything to accommodate this guy.  AFAIK, the guy never called back, so I guess he found someone else.  My friend has said that those who are consistently demanding and can't respect the fact that George has a day job are often put on the "too busy" list.  They don't need clients like that for a side business.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 11:46:42 AM by 2littlemonkeys »

Shalamar

« Reply #21891 on: June 25, 2013, 01:40:26 PM »
Adelaide, I worked with someone like that.  He couldn't stop talking about how much he missed Toronto, how Toronto was much better than Winnipeg, and so on.  Also, the company he used to work for in Toronto was MUCH better than our company.  You can imagine how popular that made him, and a number of us said bluntly "Maybe you should go back, if you miss it so much."

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #21892 on: June 25, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »
Sorry, Shalamar. We don't want him either.  >:D
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Jones

« Reply #21893 on: June 25, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »
I nominate my husband's once-good friend, who was the best man at my wedding. Afterwards he started to draw away, as we were in a different point of our lives than he was. We do still see him several times a year and the guys are friendly. Understandable and not snowflakey.

What is SS about him? Well he posted on Facebook that he needed mailing addresses for wedding invites. I sent him DH and my address, he wrote back gushing about how glad he was we could come, how he's missed us, hopes the kids are great etc. Guy lives a 5 minute drive from my house and works a half mile away.

So today he shared a post on his wall. The post was originally his fiancée's post, and it essentially says "if you want a wedding invite come to my tattoo shop and pick one up, they are on the counter". Yes. He couldn't post it himself, he shared the post for aaall his FB friends who may potentially want to go pick up an invite. If we want the information we have to go to his fiancée's place of business and grab one, like some picnic flyer. Just seems strange and awkward to me! And not even a pm to pretend at some personal invitation to come to his wedding? Strange. Kinda wondering how many random tattoo customers with no other connection to the couple are going to show up for free cake.

poundcake

« Reply #21894 on: June 25, 2013, 03:53:59 PM »
We have a Panera Bread café near work. They are busy during lunch every day. I went a little late so that I could find a quiet spot to eat and study, and I found a side of the dining room that was pretty empty.

I dropped off my tote bag, then ordered my food, filled my cup, and waited for my food to be ready. All was well. About 5 minutes after I picked up my food, a pair of women came in, then sat next to me. They both took out devotional books, and each got water, but nothing else. I was there for thirty minutes after they arrived and they never bought food or coffee (Panera has items for less than $1 on their menu). They left just after I did.

Is it SS to go into a restaurant, drink their water and use their tables to meet someone without spending anything?

Not just SS, but one of my personal peeves as well. I write and work on papers in cafes a lot, and I know places where it is okay to nurse a single mug during low-traffic time for a few hours. That said, there are obvious rules of thumb. If you are spread out over a four-top table or larger, there had better be a group joining you within the next thirty minutes. Turn off your movies, podcasts and music if you don't have headphones. This is not your substitute office in which to conduct big meetings or events, so if there are more than two or three of you who will be talking loudly, a cafe is not the place for you. And yes, you better order at least something from the business that provided the table where you're sitting.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21895 on: June 25, 2013, 04:00:26 PM »
Today I was cursed at and given the finger.

Because I took the time to put my grocery cart away in the cart return, which delayed my pulling out of my parking space in the supermarket parking lot by about 40 seconds. Which was 40 seconds longer than this SS wanted to wait to park her car. Despite the fact that there were dozens of empty spaces just a little further away from the store.

What a lovely way to start the day.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

MummySweet

« Reply #21896 on: June 25, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »
Adelaide, I worked with someone like that.  He couldn't stop talking about how much he missed Toronto, how Toronto was much better than Winnipeg, and so on.  Also, the company he used to work for in Toronto was MUCH better than our company.  You can imagine how popular that made him, and a number of us said bluntly "Maybe you should go back, if you miss it so much."

I was invited to lunch last week by someone like this.  She has been very aggressive in trying to facilitate a friendship between our sons, and I guess she thought that being friendly with me would help towards that goal.   Normally it would help, but lunch was a non-stop litany about how she hates this city.  Can't stand the people, the weather, the school system, etc.    When I mentioned a few things that we enjoy about the area (we've been here a year, and really like it) she immediately tried to negate everything I said with a complaint.    Finally she said, "I guess I really shouldn't be such a Debbie Downer."  At that point I just wanted to say, "But you're so good at it!"   

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #21897 on: June 25, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »

I was invited to lunch last week by someone like this.  She has been very aggressive in trying to facilitate a friendship between our sons, and I guess she thought that being friendly with me would help towards that goal.   Normally it would help, but lunch was a non-stop litany about how she hates this city.  Can't stand the people, the weather, the school system, etc.    When I mentioned a few things that we enjoy about the area (we've been here a year, and really like it) she immediately tried to negate everything I said with a complaint.    Finally she said, "I guess I really shouldn't be such a Debbie Downer."  At that point I just wanted to say, "But you're so good at it!"   

You're a better woman than I am, as I expect Evil would have actually said it before I could stop her! Either that or Snarky would have come up with "So why are you still here?"
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

TeamBhakta

« Reply #21898 on: June 25, 2013, 04:32:57 PM »
Kinda wondering how many random tattoo customers with no other connection to the couple are going to show up for free cake.

I'm imagining the K&B Construction guys from Home Improvement showing up
"Thank you for inviting us. I made you this lovely lace table cloth on my lunch break, with plyers & fishing line. I admire the beadwork on your dress, by the way --"
"Pete, this is neither the time nor the place!"

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21899 on: June 25, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »
...    "if you want a wedding invite come to my tattoo shop and pick one up, they are on the counter".  ...

Gotta admit, that's unique!  ???

Seriously, I hope that's not a new trend!  And also seriously, it would almost be worth it to go to that wedding just to see what shows up!   >:D