Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5232567 times)

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21945 on: June 26, 2013, 04:52:02 PM »

On a side note: Lightning hit so close to the kitchen window recently that all the kitchen dishes rattled, the cats were startled and the electricity in the bathroom was knocked out (yeah, I'm gonna need an electrician to come in)  :o

Stupid question but I have to ask anyway. Did you check the breakers to make sure you just didn't trip the GFI?  The way some of my units are wired. 1 GFI tripping anywhere in the bathroom will shut off all of the bathroom breakers. (and for some reason, 2 outlets in the livingroom which are not on a common wall.)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #21946 on: June 26, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »
N.J. man faces fines in bear attack.

[He] was hiking at Worthington State Forest in Warren County with his three children late last month when he saw the black bear and tossed a bagel its way in the hope of getting a snapshot.

But the plan backfired. The bear devoured the bagel and went after Jacobs' 5-year-old son, Billy, who was left with claw marks on his arm and shoulder blade.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21947 on: June 26, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »
Pickled green beans?  You just eat them like you would any pickle.  You don't need to cook them

Note to self:  must learn how to pickle.  I LOVE pickled beans and carrots and the way my garden is going, I'm going to have a lot of produce.

I pickle green beans for DH every year. He swears they go great with beer. Pickling isn't too difficult, but I take over the kitchen when I do it.

Making dill beans is dead easy. 

Keep the brine from a jar of pickles you like. 

Blanch fresh green beans.

Let them cool and stuff them into the jar of brine. 

Adding some fresh chopped garlic and a sprig or two of fresh dill will help. 

Let sit for a week or so and enjoy. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21948 on: June 26, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »
I highly recommend the book "Real Food Fermentation" by Alex Lewin.  He was at the Baltimore Book Festival last year and I was his handler.  Great book and designed to break down pickling and fermentation in an Alton Brown sort of way.  The stuff he made was fantastic.  I've been making my own coleslaw so far and I'm thinking of expanding into other things

Pen^2

« Reply #21949 on: June 26, 2013, 07:00:55 PM »

[He] was hiking at Worthington State Forest in Warren County with his three children late last month when he saw the black bear and tossed a bagel its way in the hope of getting a snapshot.

But the plan backfired. The bear devoured the bagel and went after Jacobs' 5-year-old son, Billy, who was left with claw marks on his arm and shoulder blade.

This kind of thing makes me feel ill. This sort of person should not be allowed to care for children or perform in any role involving responsibility for others. "Oh, look, a wild and deadly animal which is much stronger than me and about which I know next to nothing! I'll just lure it over here near my children whom I have forgotten in my much more important quest to get a photo!"

I have a Darwin Awards Omnibus (who doesn't?) and one of the most unsettling ones was about a woman who was merrily spreading honey on her child's face so that she could take a wonderful photo of the bear licking the toddler.

Kariachi

« Reply #21950 on: June 27, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »

This kind of thing makes me feel ill. This sort of person should not be allowed to care for children or perform in any role involving responsibility for others. "Oh, look, a wild and deadly animal which is much stronger than me and about which I know next to nothing! I'll just lure it over here near my children whom I have forgotten in my much more important quest to get a photo!"

I have a Darwin Awards Omnibus (who doesn't?) and one of the most unsettling ones was about a woman who was merrily spreading honey on her child's face so that she could take a wonderful photo of the bear licking the toddler.

I'm not sure if I've told this story here before, but I have to tell it. No food involved, but ****....

When I was a girl, we lived on an AF base in Colorado. A heavily wooded base. We had everything around there, coyotes, racoons, bears... They would come into our cul-di-sac both for the garbage and the crab-apple tree in one of the yards.

So, picture the scene. There is a bear prowling around our shared driveway, not doing anything, probably too busy digesting the apple glut to bother opening a trashcan, but still a grown female black bear. My mother and sister are in the hall, trying to calm down our panicking puppies, I'm in the kitchen, trying to keep our tom from busting through the wall to show this female who's boss, my dad steps out into our fenced yard to keep a better eye on our uninvited guest. This is all at about 11'o'clock at night. Dad looks over the fence, and what does he see?

Our next-door neighbor, having given his eight-year-old son a camera, standing in his carport, trying to get this groggy, still in his pajamas, child to go up to and get a better shot of the bear.

I swear, you could hear my father's "get the F*** inside!" from across the base. I didn't get to see the bears (being on cat-duty and all), but from the description (bear in driveway, guy in carport) there couldn't have been more then twenty feet, absolute max, between that bear and that child.

Yeah, we didn't get on with the neighbors on that side.  >:(

This is the same man who decided that ten-year-old me was responsible for making sure our toms didn't fight. If he'd come over and said Moonbeam was causing him trouble it would have been one thing, but going up to a young girl and berating her that her cat is horrible isn't going to help you.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21951 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:59 AM »

Thank you! I know I wasn't imagining things but i just could not find this.

Nornster

« Reply #21952 on: June 27, 2013, 09:54:54 AM »

This is the same man who decided that ten-year-old me was responsible for making sure our toms didn't fight. If he'd come over and said Moonbeam was causing him trouble it would have been one thing, but going up to a young girl and berating her that her cat is horrible isn't going to help you.
[/quote]

That is a pretty hippie name for a military pet.  My dad was in the field artillery - our pets tended to have names like Howitzer.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #21953 on: June 27, 2013, 10:26:26 AM »
That is a pretty hippie name for a military pet.  My dad was in the field artillery - our pets tended to have names like Howitzer.

Haha, hubby tried to name our bulldog "Tank".
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Gyburc

« Reply #21954 on: June 27, 2013, 11:08:29 AM »
then driving home from there, I saw something lope across the road, and it was 2 cubs. While mama was on teh other side. i stopped my car to look, and she gave me such a stink eye!

I once stopped my car to let a goose and her 6 goslings finish waddling across the road. Mama goose reared back, hissed at my car, and tried to peck it. SS indeed..

As a goose owner I can confirm that they are indeed the very specialest of snowflakes... My gander throws a tantrum whenever he finds that the feed-bowl is empty. He attacks it and flings it round the garden.  ::)
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Kariachi

« Reply #21955 on: June 27, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »

[/quote]

Well, he was named by pair of nine- and six-year old girls, so... ;) And let me tell you there was nothing 'hippy' about this cat. He was a little sweetheart toward us, but if the only other animals he would tolerate were the dogs. Cats, coyotes, bears? Anything else was a threat and had to be disposed of.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21956 on: June 27, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »

[/quote]

My brother, the combat engineer, had cats named Moonbeam, Philip and Fluffy. Although I think he took Fluffy in already named.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21957 on: June 27, 2013, 01:38:04 PM »
Re: the bear/idiot incident.

I've seen a bear *once* in the wild, and my response (amusing to my companion) was to attempt to take off (in a very "let's not make any sudden movements" manner) in the opposite direction, while muttering "Dear deity - that's a bear!"

For someone to *throw food* at one, while having a tiny child beside him, is an insanity that I cannot fathom.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #21958 on: June 27, 2013, 01:44:05 PM »
We vacationed in our future retirement area (mountains) in 2010. On our first full day in the cabin, we saw a bear leave the sanctuary down the mountain to go across for the day. I remember DH standing still and silent as we were less than 10 feet from a young bear, who already weighed more than 400 lbs.

We saw him or another on our last full day there as well. We were very cautious not to leave any food lying around and to keep the bear-proof garbage box locked constantly.

mmswm

« Reply #21959 on: June 27, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »
I nominate the truck driver who parked his rig smack in the middle if the distribution center lot preventing us and about ten other trucks from getting in or out of the docks and causing us to waste a half or and be late to the next delivery. Seriously, you drive one if these things and you know how much space you need to maneuver, plus you know that everybody has a schedule to keep. Why would you do that?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:53:51 PM by mmswm »
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)