Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5527733 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21960 on: June 27, 2013, 02:48:29 PM »
No, think of changing the "o" in "docks" to another vowel.

Took me a while to figure it out myself.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #21961 on: June 27, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »
No, think of changing the "o" in "docks" to another vowel.

Took me a while to figure it out myself.

Ahhh, the typo wasn't accidentally using the letter c, it was using the letter i.  Gotcha.  Wingadingdingies works either way.  :-D 

I spent a minute trying to figure out what mmswm was talking about before ladyknight1 asked her question.  I still think it's a great replacement. 
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #21962 on: June 27, 2013, 04:02:46 PM »
I have a Darwin Awards Omnibus (who doesn't?) and one of the most unsettling ones was about a woman who was merrily spreading honey on her child's face so that she could take a wonderful photo of the bear licking the toddler.
This probably belongs in the "ya ... don't do that" thread, but the "honey on her child's face" reminded me of when I was young (tweenage) and I had a pet rat.  Peter Ratit weighed a pound; His body was a foot long and his tail was almost a foot long, so he was a big pet rat.

Someone told me that rats like peanut butter.  I stuck my finger in the peanut butter jar and then put my hand in Peter's large cage.  Peter grabbed my finger in his mouth and took off for his shoebox so he could consume the p'nut butter in privacy.  I know he didn't want to bite or eat my finger; He just wanted the p'nut butter.  Still, if I had resisted, those sharp teeth would have pierced my skin.  I let him take my finger into his shoebox and held still until he finished licking the p'nut butter off my finger.  He was normally a mellow guy, except when p'nut butter was involved.  I imagine a wild bear would be even more excited about honey and, even if s/he (the bear) did not intend to hurt the child, the process of taking the honey-covered object to a safe place to consume it would probably damage the child in some way, especially if s/he resisted.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

NyaChan

« Reply #21963 on: June 27, 2013, 04:11:11 PM »
When you say he took your finger...it was still attached to your hand right?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #21964 on: June 27, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »
;D Yes, it was.  Since I like to keep it that way, my hand and arm followed my finger into the cage.  It was an awkward position, but better than losing a finger. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

NyaChan

« Reply #21965 on: June 27, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »
;D Yes, it was.  Since I like to keep it that way, my hand and arm followed my finger into the cage.  It was an awkward position, but better than losing a finger. >:D

Oh whew! When I read it the first time, I had this mental image that was just Not Good.

snowdragon

« Reply #21966 on: June 27, 2013, 04:44:01 PM »
I run a two seasonal  gift exchanges on a board I am on. One that is going on now. One that is around Christmas time.
  These exchanges always have deadlines to send and to receive. WE started the send deadline because people were signing up and waiting til  well after the receive deadline. Failure to meet deadlines has resulted in repeat offenders being banned, this is well known. If someone does not send I make sure that their partner gets something, this is also well known. /BG

The deadline for the exchange going on now had a send deadline of the 20th of June. TODAY I get a message from someone that they have not sent and do not intend to send for two weeks, because she's "a teacher who needs a break." So she's leaving on vacation for two weeks and will get around to it when ever.
   But she's the first one to be upset if HER gift is the least bit late.  sigh.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21967 on: June 27, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »
Re: the bear/idiot incident.

I've seen a bear *once* in the wild, and my response (amusing to my companion) was to attempt to take off (in a very "let's not make any sudden movements" manner) in the opposite direction, while muttering "Dear deity - that's a bear!"
Yes, we saw a black bear cub lolloping across the road in Shenandoah.  Our windows had been down, but we simultaneously reached for the window buttons (as DH braked) because our thoughts were "Where is his Mama?"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21968 on: June 27, 2013, 09:12:27 PM »
Re: the bear/idiot incident.

I've seen a bear *once* in the wild, and my response (amusing to my companion) was to attempt to take off (in a very "let's not make any sudden movements" manner) in the opposite direction, while muttering "Dear deity - that's a bear!"
Yes, we saw a black bear cub lolloping across the road in Shenandoah.  Our windows had been down, but we simultaneously reached for the window buttons (as DH braked) because our thoughts were "Where is his Mama?"

I had a pretty banner day there last year, I saw 5 in one day.  One hanging out on the side of skyline drive around Matthews Arm, one going into the woods by Elkswallow Picnic grounds, and a mama and 2 cubs as we were heading up Jeremy's Run.  Luckily we were above them and so mama just gave us a look before she followed her cubs into the woods.

Addy

« Reply #21969 on: June 28, 2013, 04:48:09 AM »
Re: all the bear stories, the closest I have ever been to a bear is about 3 feet. I was biking along a trail by a river when I saw a big nose coming up out of the grassy river bank right in front of me. I had just a second to think "that's a big dog...oh wait, that's a bear!"

My bear-related SS is my sister in law, who lives in a relatively wooded area, leaves her garbage cans outside, then posts on Facebook "oh Yogi made such a mess with my garbage last night." Grrrrr! Maybe now that her neighbours are complaining, she will keep the garbage inside. I just hope it's not too late for the bear.  :'(

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21970 on: June 28, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »
My bear story follows most of the other "they don't have a clue" stories.  Shortly after moving into our house, I looked out in the back yard and saw a bear sitting with his back against one of our trees, eating some stuff we'd thrown out for the birds.  We stayed inside and he didn't move, so we thought all was well.  Then I heard voices out our front windows, which were open due to the weather.  I went out the front door to find two of my neighbors walking down the street, and advised them of the bear, and they wisely turned around and headed for home.  So again all was well.

Then we heard more voices.  The neighbors had gone home, retrieved their whole house full of people (they must have had a party going because about a dozen people showed up) including three very small children, and returned to our yard, even going behind the house to see the bear.  I said, "Are you nuts?" and they just went on gawking, so I had to ask them to leave the yard.  I told them I was worried they scare the bear away but it was really because I was picturing what they'd do if the bear decided it wanted possession of one of the little kids.

Virg

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21971 on: June 28, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »
My bear story follows most of the other "they don't have a clue" stories.  Shortly after moving into our house, I looked out in the back yard and saw a bear sitting with his back against one of our trees, eating some stuff we'd thrown out for the birds.  We stayed inside and he didn't move, so we thought all was well.  Then I heard voices out our front windows, which were open due to the weather.  I went out the front door to find two of my neighbors walking down the street, and advised them of the bear, and they wisely turned around and headed for home.  So again all was well.

Then we heard more voices.  The neighbors had gone home, retrieved their whole house full of people (they must have had a party going because about a dozen people showed up) including three very small children, and returned to our yard, even going behind the house to see the bear.  I said, "Are you nuts?" and they just went on gawking, so I had to ask them to leave the yard.  I told them I was worried they scare the bear away but it was really because I was picturing what they'd do if the bear decided it wanted possession of one of the little kids.

Virg

My brain is now oozing out of my ears

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21972 on: June 28, 2013, 03:05:44 PM »
It's the down side of petting zoos, I suppose. People think any wild animal is just waiting for a pat and a tickle behind the ears.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #21973 on: June 28, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »
Re: all the bear stories, the closest I have ever been to a bear is about 3 feet. I was biking along a trail by a river when I saw a big nose coming up out of the grassy river bank right in front of me. I had just a second to think "that's a big dog...oh wait, that's a bear!"

My bear-related SS is my sister in law, who lives in a relatively wooded area, leaves her garbage cans outside, then posts on Facebook "oh Yogi made such a mess with my garbage last night." Grrrrr! Maybe now that her neighbours are complaining, she will keep the garbage inside. I just hope it's not too late for the bear.  :'(

Mega special snowflake. She's lucky she hasn't gotten fined for that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21974 on: June 28, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »
It's the down side of petting zoos, I suppose. People think any wild animal is just waiting for a pat and a tickle behind the ears.
I've never been to a petting zoo with wild animals. They've only had farm animals like goats, calves and sheep. Animals city kids don't get  see close up. The Houston Zoo has docents with stationed around with reptiles, amphibians, and occasionally a small mammal that the kids can touch under close supervision. I've always been pleased that the docents emphasized this is allowed because it is a zoo animal - and that the kids should never try to handle them in the wild. They tell the kids that non venomous snakes can bite - and it is very painful. Someone asked why they didn't have more small mammals available - the docent said two reasons
1. They don't want the kids to see them as potential pets
2. Rabies (Which reminds me I need to find out if Fort Bend County animal controls is doing the air drop of bait with the rabies vaccine in it again this year, before we go out to the farm).
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future