Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5387086 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #21975 on: June 28, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »
It's the down side of petting zoos, I suppose. People think any wild animal is just waiting for a pat and a tickle behind the ears.
I've never been to a petting zoo with wild animals. They've only had farm animals like goats, calves and sheep. Animals city kids don't get  see close up. The Houston Zoo has docents with stationed around with reptiles, amphibians, and occasionally a small mammal that the kids can touch under close supervision. I've always been pleased that the docents emphasized this is allowed because it is a zoo animal - and that the kids should never try to handle them in the wild. They tell the kids that non venomous snakes can bite - and it is very painful. Someone asked why they didn't have more small mammals available - the docent said two reasons
1. They don't want the kids to see them as potential pets
2. Rabies (Which reminds me I need to find out if Fort Bend County animal controls is doing the air drop of bait with the rabies vaccine in it again this year, before we go out to the farm).
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

cwm

« Reply #21976 on: June 28, 2013, 05:14:56 PM »
Sis ran into a bad driver one today.

Sis was driving home. Car up in front of hers is turning, so she slows down far enough back to not crowd it turning. Man behind her didn't see the turning car and whipped into the other lane. Once the car was finished turning, sis went back to normal speed. Man didn't like this, whipped out in front of her. Sis admitted to pulling a face, but knowing her, it was literally just pulling a face, nothing else. She doesn't engage the crazies on the road, she knows better. Man apparently still saw face, slowed down to going 25 mph in a 45 zone.

Sis pulls around man and gets back in front of him, perfectly legally. Not driving dangerously, just not wanting to get rear ended because this guy is driving too slow and someone else didn't see it. Man does NOT like this, pulls into the left lane to overtake sis. Sis promptly gets into the right turn lane, as she's going home and has to turn right.

Man cuts across a lane of traffic to turn right. Sis merges into left lane, man follows. Sis takes first light to go to our apartment complex a different way with more streets, man follows. Sis takes a right, man follows. Sis gets into complex and is planning on going to the main office, but instead sees a detective car from the local police department. She parks right next to it. Gets out of the car and crosses her arms in front of her.

Man parks his car, gets out of it and comes at her, screaming. He is a large man. My sis may be taller than me, but she's still only average height. Man is screaming obscenities at her, waving his arms around, and altogether threatening.

Cue detective coming from the building towards his car. "Excuse me, ma'am, is there a problem here?"

Sis: "I don't think there's about to be."

Man apparently froze in place, paled, then ran back towards his car to get away from there.

lilfox

« Reply #21977 on: June 28, 2013, 06:57:52 PM »
This one didn't work out for the SS driver either (actually, that's an understatement but although it's a tragic story, fortunately no one died).

SS driver is a friend's coworker whose job involves driving a company SUV.  He is an SS because he refuses to put down his smartphone while driving, despite numerous warnings and the fact that it's illegal to text and drive in his state.  He's previously been involved in several minor fender benders, but I guess nothing serious enough to get his license pulled or cause his employer to revoke company car privileges (very small company).

So, SS is driving in heavy traffic with a high school summer hire and, as per usual, texting away.  He didn't see traffic come to a halt until too late, and his reaction was to swerve left into the median and guard rail, causing the SUV to flip several times.  From the photos of the SUV, you wouldn't have guessed it was survivable.

The summer hire was able to walk away with only a few minor injuries.  SS is still in the ICU and may or may not be paralyzed, it's too soon to tell.

Another SS driver I worked with walked with a significant and permanent limp due to the effects of several car accidents she was at least partially responsible for.  Her solution to this was to buy the biggest darn truck she could, so that, in her words, *when* (not if, when) she was in the next accident, she would be protected.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #21978 on: June 28, 2013, 10:18:37 PM »
http://notalwaysright.com/life-is-stranger-than-the-fiction-section/30405

I just...I can't even. I really hope this is fake.

Jones

« Reply #21979 on: June 28, 2013, 10:24:18 PM »

BB-VA

« Reply #21980 on: June 28, 2013, 10:28:25 PM »
Specialest Snowflake in Shenandoah (as told by my husband):

When my husband was a kid, he and his family would often go tent  camping in Shenandoah.  Their favorite campgrounds were Loft Mountain and Lewis Mountain.  I am not sure where this story happened but was probably in one of those.

Back in those days, the trash cans weren't bear-proofed the way they are now.  They just used the 20-gallon galvanized cans with tight fitting lids.  The cans were chained to the ground, but the bears had very little trouble popping the lids off by just smacking the cans. 

One night, DH and his cousins were watching out the windows of the family camper when a bear came up, popped off the lid of the nearest can, and dug in.  The kids had sense enough to stay quiet and watch - and then the Specialest Snowflake arrived. 

The bear was happily munching away when a small skunk appeared.  The skunk stood by until the bear noticed.  The bear slunk away, heading for the next trash can.  The skunk dug in to the remains of what the bear had left.  After a few moments, the skunk decided that this haul was too picked over, and then followed the bear.  The bear, seeing the skunk, moved on.  The kids watched for some time while the bear moved from can to can, followed by the skunk.   No sooner than the bear would open the can than the skunk would appear at his side.  DH swears the bear was making little exasperated grumbles every time the skunk showed up, but he did not dare touch the skunk.

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21981 on: June 28, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »
^^^  Now THAT'S a cute story!!   ;D

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21982 on: June 28, 2013, 10:49:47 PM »
Have you ever seen a skunk print?  they look like little hands :)  They are not very cute when they are on your picnic table because someone forgot to put away dish detergent and vinegar ::)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21983 on: June 29, 2013, 12:11:31 AM »
http://notalwaysright.com/life-is-stranger-than-the-fiction-section/30405

I just...I can't even. I really hope this is fake.

*weeps librarian tears quietly in corner*
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Minmom3

« Reply #21984 on: June 29, 2013, 01:40:17 AM »
Re: all the bear stories, the closest I have ever been to a bear is about 3 feet. I was biking along a trail by a river when I saw a big nose coming up out of the grassy river bank right in front of me. I had just a second to think "that's a big dog...oh wait, that's a bear!"

My bear-related SS is my sister in law, who lives in a relatively wooded area, leaves her garbage cans outside, then posts on Facebook "oh Yogi made such a mess with my garbage last night." Grrrrr! Maybe now that her neighbours are complaining, she will keep the garbage inside. I just hope it's not too late for the bear.  :'(

Mega special snowflake. She's lucky she hasn't gotten fined for that.

Hell, she's lucky if the bear hasn't followed the garbage INSIDE...  It happens with regularity, from what I read.  Bears and smart and strong, and LOVE people food.  Once they know it's there, they have no shame on going in to get it.  And sooner or later, that bear needs to be relocated or shot outright.  Stupidity in bear country just annoys the snot out of me.   >:(
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #21985 on: June 29, 2013, 03:36:14 AM »
I heard a story from a guy I once knew who was from Colorado, I might have told it before.  He said a friend of his had a bear walk through an open door into his kitchen and promptly put its face into the fruit bowl.  He apparently yelled, "Hey you! Scat!" (fear and surprise, I guess) at which point the bear hurried out again.

I'm not sure I ever want to visit Colorado after hearing that...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21986 on: June 29, 2013, 10:07:07 AM »
My Dad had very SS white-tailed deer at his house.  They'd come down and eat the bird seed, the garden, the flowers, whatever they could get their mouths on.  Drove Dad crazy and he'd go charging out of the house, letting out a whoop and chase the deer out of the yard.  One, he even hit in the rump with a broom, trying to get it to move on.

One evening, he was on the porch when he heard a noise so he took off, letting out his whoop and chased the deer up the back hill.  As he stopped running, he suddenly realized that there was no white flash from the deer's tail going up.  It was distinctly black.  As he paled a little, he realized that it was a bear, not a deer!  Dad figures that poor little guy is still running, he scared him so badly.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #21987 on: June 30, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »

Another SS driver I worked with walked with a significant and permanent limp due to the effects of several car accidents she was at least partially responsible for.  Her solution to this was to buy the biggest darn truck she could, so that, in her words, *when* (not if, when) she was in the next accident, she would be protected.

She would be protected, but what about the people she kills?  SS to the max indeed.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

mmswm

« Reply #21988 on: June 30, 2013, 11:07:22 AM »
My boyfriend is a long haul truck driver with a dedicated weekly run.  He's been driving for nearly 30 years, and the past two years he has driven the exact same route every week.  He knows these roads well, and he knows his truck and how it handles.  He also handles the darned thing better than most people handle their cars.  This is important to this SS story.

So, we're driving down a mountain in Virginia. There's not much traffic and he's driving the speed limit. There was a work van of some sort in front of us, going slower than us, so bf moves into the left hand lane to pass.  He passes the van, which apparently the van driver took exception to.  The van driver, who apparently thought that nobody on the road should be going faster than he was, passed us, cut us off and then slammed on his brakes hard.  There was nobody in front of him, he just apparently thought that bf should slow down (he was driving the speed limit). Thank deity that bf is an extraordinary driver, as he was able to maneuver his truck through the traffic that had come up behind him and avoid what could have been a fatal accident.  This was also the one an only time during the entire trip that I engaged the passenger side brakes, though there were quite a few other times when passenger car drivers did stupid things.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

SpottedPony

« Reply #21989 on: June 30, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
My Dad tells this story about a trip he and my Mom to visit his sister in Florida. Having made the trip before, he knew that when on the multi-lane Atlanta bypass, to exit, you needed to be in the correct lane, otherwise you would have to go the whole way around.  So driving a SUV and pulling a trailer, as soon as he got on the bypass, as traffic allowed, he worked his way safely to the lane he wanted to be in to make his exit. 

Cruising along at the speed limit, he happened to glance in his side mirror to see that the SS driver in the lane next to him wanted over.  This driver had his turn signal on and was pounding on the steering wheel, waving his hands and making who knows what kind of comments.  Deciding to let this fellow over, Dad stepped on the brake to slow down enough that this guy could pass and pull in front.  However, this guy decided to slow down at the same time.  Dad tried speeding up so that the could fall in behind, but SS also sped up.  After a few more attempts of slowing down and speeding up, Dad figured that the other driver didn't want to be in front of or in back of him, but he wanted to be in the space occupied by Dad's SUV and trailer.  That wasn't going to happen, so Dad quit playing and just kept on going at the speed limit. 

This other driver continued to maintain speed with my Dad, waving his hands, pounding the steering wheel and making comments, which Dad of course couldn't hear.  When the exit came up, Dad was able to leave the bypass safely, the other driver couldn't.  So in order to get off at that exit, he had to either go the whole way around or get off at the next exit and get back on. 

Spotted Pony