Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5516514 times)

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22005 on: June 30, 2013, 07:46:15 PM »
November was when his last offense occurred. Eesh.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #22006 on: June 30, 2013, 08:03:04 PM »
There have been cases where people have had their cars broken into to free the trapped child. As well as people who have had their cars stolen with the child inside.

A few years ago a mother was given a telling off for doing so by a well-meaning stranger who rescued her child.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #22007 on: June 30, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »
We have camped in "civilized" camping sites, with a general store close by, and a pool, and we have been primitive camping, where you hike in your own water.

Most of the time, the land is clear and all have obeyed the rules of "leave no trace."

however, one year my son was getting water at a spigot between campsites, and received several fire ant bites that caused him to have need of steroid treatments and is now the proud carrier of a personal epi pen. 

How did the ants come to be there? 

Well, despite the signage on the water spigot that says, "Do not rinse out mess kits here" and "keep area free of food" it turns out that someone had been washing food containers out all week there, and ants congregated. 

Nothing like driving 30 minutes down a windy road into an unknown town just before the emergency center closes so your son can get swelling and hives treated. 

As for babies/kids left in hot cars, I have NO words that can be written here.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22008 on: June 30, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »
November was when his last offense occurred. Eesh.
And he is still free and allowed contact with the child why?
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

BB-VA

« Reply #22009 on: June 30, 2013, 10:27:34 PM »
There have been cases where people have had their cars broken into to free the trapped child. As well as people who have had their cars stolen with the child inside.

A few years ago a mother was given a telling off for doing so by a well-meaning stranger who rescued her child.

Saw something similar at a rest area, although the car was left running and locked with the A/C going.  Baby was sleeping in the car seat, and parents needed the rest room.  The problem was that they decided to go at the same time, and Mom forgot to take the spare set of keys with her.    A State Trooper was summoned and rapidly had the door open (back in the days when a jimmy worked).  He let them have it for leaving the baby alone.

I mean, really, who does that?  When our daughter was small and sleeping at a rest area, my husband and I went separately.  Don't know what these people were thinking.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #22010 on: June 30, 2013, 11:05:52 PM »
Dear neighbours. Dear STUPID <bleepity bleeping> neighbours,

That party you just had for the July 1st holiday must have been really cool! The massive fireworks display in your backyard was quite something. People from all around the neighbourhood were stopping to watch - I know I was, coming back from the store.

Having said that... you couldn't find an open space to do that? Seriously?? Because lighting off huge amounts of explosives in a tiny, densely packed area with lots of tall trees is not the greatest idea. I sincerely hope no one ends the holiday celebrations by watching their house burn down. :(

Sincerely, your amazed and exasperated neighbour.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22011 on: July 01, 2013, 12:55:36 AM »

That party you just had for the July 1st holiday must have been really cool! The massive fireworks display in your backyard was quite something. People from all around the neighbourhood were stopping to watch - I know I was, coming back from the store.

Having said that... you couldn't find an open space to do that? Seriously?? Because lighting off huge amounts of explosives in a tiny, densely packed area with lots of tall trees is not the greatest idea. I sincerely hope no one ends the holiday celebrations by watching their house burn down. :(

Were your neighbors at least sober? I have probably a week the several weekends of my blind drunk neighbors shooting off fire works.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #22012 on: July 01, 2013, 01:42:35 AM »

Were your neighbors at least sober? I have probably a week the several weekends of my blind drunk neighbors shooting off fire works.

I have no idea. I hope so. They seemed to be setting the fireworks off in a nice, calculated show, so I hope they planned for this and had at least one relatively sober person running things.

We do have teenagers setting off the occasional rocket at random intervals on the weekends, but they don't worry me so much. Maybe because they don't set off so much at once, and there isn't any smoke (there was a LOT of smoke and flying cinders in the air when I went by this one).
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #22013 on: July 01, 2013, 09:55:40 AM »
My boyfriend is a long haul truck driver with a dedicated weekly run.  He's been driving for nearly 30 years, and the past two years he has driven the exact same route every week.  He knows these roads well, and he knows his truck and how it handles.  He also handles the darned thing better than most people handle their cars.  This is important to this SS story.

So, we're driving down a mountain in Virginia. There's not much traffic and he's driving the speed limit. There was a work van of some sort in front of us, going slower than us, so bf moves into the left hand lane to pass.  He passes the van, which apparently the van driver took exception to.  The van driver, who apparently thought that nobody on the road should be going faster than he was, passed us, cut us off and then slammed on his brakes hard.  There was nobody in front of him, he just apparently thought that bf should slow down (he was driving the speed limit). Thank deity that bf is an extraordinary driver, as he was able to maneuver his truck through the traffic that had come up behind him and avoid what could have been a fatal accident.  This was also the one an only time during the entire trip that I engaged the passenger side brakes, though there were quite a few other times when passenger car drivers did stupid things.

About 2 years ago, my DH retired as an O-T-R driver. I would be his passenger once in awhile, and have seen this happen too. How bad did you freak out when the SS driver's car 'disappeared' when it got too close to your BF's trucks bumper?

Totally off-topic:
when you ride with your BF, try to keep your feet from resting fully on the floor of the truck as you guys are driving. It's easy to get vibration blisters(that's what my DH and I call them) if your feet rest firmly on the floor.  >:(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:13:39 AM by AmethystAnne »

mmswm

« Reply #22014 on: July 01, 2013, 10:35:30 AM »
My boyfriend is a long haul truck driver with a dedicated weekly run.  He's been driving for nearly 30 years, and the past two years he has driven the exact same route every week.  He knows these roads well, and he knows his truck and how it handles.  He also handles the darned thing better than most people handle their cars.  This is important to this SS story.

So, we're driving down a mountain in Virginia. There's not much traffic and he's driving the speed limit. There was a work van of some sort in front of us, going slower than us, so bf moves into the left hand lane to pass.  He passes the van, which apparently the van driver took exception to.  The van driver, who apparently thought that nobody on the road should be going faster than he was, passed us, cut us off and then slammed on his brakes hard.  There was nobody in front of him, he just apparently thought that bf should slow down (he was driving the speed limit). Thank deity that bf is an extraordinary driver, as he was able to maneuver his truck through the traffic that had come up behind him and avoid what could have been a fatal accident.  This was also the one an only time during the entire trip that I engaged the passenger side brakes, though there were quite a few other times when passenger car drivers did stupid things.

About 2 years ago, my DH retired as an O-T-R driver. I would be his passenger once in awhile, and have seen this happen too. How bad did you freak out when the SS driver's car 'disappeared' when it got too close to your BF's trucks bumper?

Totally off-topic:
when you ride with your BF, try to keep your feet from resting fully on the floor of the truck as you guys are driving. It's easy to get vibration blisters(that's what my DH and I call them) if your feet rest firmly on the floor.  >:(

I had seen the magic disappearing cars a few other times before that, so I'd had my little "eep" moments already.  That time the other driver slammed on his brakes so hard that I was thinking of nothing except bracing for impact, because I don't think I would have been able to avoid a collision if I'd been driving my own car and that happened, and I'm a fairly skilled driver.  He's just better.

I managed to avoid blisters.  BF warned me of the same thing. I kind of went back and forth between feet on the floor, legs crossed with one or the other foot on the floor, feet on the dash, feet up under me and a few times passed out cold in the bunk in the back.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22015 on: July 01, 2013, 10:48:37 AM »
I contacted my local police substation to see if they will do hourly patrols of our apartment complex on the 4th starting at sunset. We are hoping to avoid the celebratory gunfire this time.

MrTango

« Reply #22016 on: July 01, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »
I contacted my local police substation to see if they will do hourly patrols of our apartment complex on the 4th starting at sunset. We are hoping to avoid the celebratory gunfire this time.

Gunfire?  Wow...

CharlieBraun

« Reply #22017 on: July 01, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »
A man here left his 8-month-old child in the car for 30+ minutes (with the doors unlocked and the windows rolled down.) It was a combination of very hot and very humid, and very stormy this weekend, so both pretty bad contenders for leaving your kid in the car. The news is saying 30 minutes, but it was 12:30 when someone called the police, and 1:00 when the car owner appeared, so really it could have been an hour or more.  :o When he saw the police waiting for him, he told them that he'd only been a minute...or only meant to be a minute, but had decided to run some additional errands while he was there.

AND. He did the same thing last summer with a baby (they didn't say if it was the same one though.)

I live in South Florida, and this is completely intolerable.  A child could literally roast to death in that period of time.

Years ago, my dad bought me a contraption to keep in the car that had a box-cutter-like blade in one end and a sharp pointed hammer at the other.  The idea was to be able to slice open your seat belt after a crash if it was still locked, and/or to tap the hammer on the glass to break it and get out of the car.  I was at Publix two years ago this week, and a baby was locked in a car without the A/C running.  I was without my cell phone so I went back into the pet store (where the manager is now our permanent dog-sitter) to have them call the sheriff.  Three minutes had passed, another person was at the window of the car on her cell phone (smart lady!), and the baby was crying.  I broke the window with the Hammer of Dad.  The sheriff arrived about two minutes later, followed by an ambulance, just as the parents came out of the grocery store laden with bags and bags.  By then, I was back in my car and headed home.  I have no idea what happened to them, if anything, but I sent a quick thank you note to my dad for the hammer.  I really hope they were hauled away in cuffs, but this area is, er, well to do and they may have skated.
"We ate the pies."

Yarnspinner

« Reply #22018 on: July 01, 2013, 11:28:22 AM »
Something Bad has happened to Our Internet Service Provider that has caused internet and library catalogs to crash across the state.  It is not just Our Library.  It has been going on since Thursday.  We have no control over this.  So to our patrons who do not understand "no"  I would like to say:

1) The internet is down.
2) Yes, really.
3) No, we are not doing this to annoy you alone.
4) We really do not have the kind of time to pick on one person.  Seriously, cut it out.
5) I'm on because my computer hooks into the wifi, not all of them do.
6) I didn't do this so please stop yelling at me.
7) I don't know why it crashed.
8) I don't know when it crashed, either.
9) I don't know when it will be back up.
10) Yes, we DID call the service provider.  They have been working on it since Thursday of last week.
11) Yes, really.
12) Please stop giving me the stink eye.  I am sorry you cannot access Farmville today, but I am not able to get to my own work.  Seriously, I am begging you to stop snarling at me.
13) Our service provider is in Other State.
14) No, other town's system is not working either.  As I just said, this is throughout the whole state.  It isn't just us.
15) Really.
16) Okay.  If you never use this library again, it will be fine with us.  Thank you for looking elsewhere.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #22019 on: July 01, 2013, 12:08:01 PM »
Disney parking snowflake... with extra sprinkles...

We went to Disneyland yesterday; got up early in order to make opening and beat the heat and crowds. When we parked, the car that had parked just before us was all the way to the right in their space, so quite close to us. I parked carefully trying to leave enough room for me to get out and to not do the same thing to the next person. As I parked, the right-side passenger in the SS car mouthed at me "this isn't going to work," implying that she couldn't get out of the car because we were too close. I managed to get out of the car and then made a mistake. I said "Please don't gripe at me, I'm not the one who parked on the line."

Apparently, this was too much for SS driver. He went off starting with "So much for the Happiest Place on Earth!" and "Someone needs some Prozac!" "Lighten up!" (Remember, his passenger was the one who complained, I was simply responding.) The driver then decided to call me "donut." I'm really not sure where that came from (I am big, so perhaps he was trying to insult my weight?)

We walked away ignoring them after the initial exchange. But apparently that wasn't the end of it for SS. As we were in the tram heading for the park, I heard "Look, it's Donut!" from the people waiting for the next tram. And then we passed them inside the park later on and got the "Donut!" comment yet again.

Interestingly, when we left, the SS car had been re-parked to be inside of the parking space. I wonder if the Disney parking people asked him to move.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain