Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5239812 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22065 on: July 03, 2013, 01:15:17 AM »

I wish we'd had something like that as public librarians. I only worked as one briefly, but we had to call the cops at least twice because of elementary school aged children who'd been left at the library while their parents took off in the evening, and who didn't come back by closing.

One time my boss caught someone leaving their 5yo in the children's section- mom blithely said, "Oh, he'll be safe here, you can look after him." Boss made it real clear that wasn't happening.

You're very lucky. Our public library had a policy not to call the cops or CPS when kids are dropped off at opening and not picked up until closing (12 hours with no food available in walking distance). In fact, I applied for a professional job there (behind the scenes) and was rejected because i didn't speak Spanish well enough to deal with the children who, i was told, all librarians -- even the behind the scenes professional staff -- have to deal with all summer long as "free childcare.' Note that this job duty and qualification requirement were not listed anywhere in the ad, listing or job description and if it had been, I never would have applied. As I told them, "I didn't get a master's degree to babysit kids for free." I also told them I didn't understand their policy of not calling the police or CPS. I noted last year that this free "service" had ended and discovered it was because so many patrons had called CPS and the police and the library was reprimanded by the city (huge liability issue).
I love Harris County Libraries policy - It acknowledges that Children have the same rights as adults to be in the library.  But They must follow library rules of behavior. The Library I go to is FULL of kids on holidays, and honestly they are very well behaved. Most of them are also volunteers. They help prepare materials for various programs, shelve books (accuracy checked by librarians), clean up after programs. After seeing stories on here about misbehavior I asked the librarians if they ever had trouble. They said no - because the kids self police. If a new kid comes in and acts up s/he quickly gets told by other kids to stop  because they will mess things up for everyone else. They said maybe once a summer they have to call someone's parents and give them the choice of coming and getting their kid or having the police called. They also don't have straggler kids - they tend to come and go in groups with older kids looking out for younger ones.
[/size]
http://www.hcpl.net/about/problem-behavior-policy

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #22066 on: July 03, 2013, 02:16:09 AM »
I saw a really special snowflake at one of our outlet store strip malls today. Someone had parked their pickup truck perpendicularly across four handicapped parking spaces. Who does this? And for heaven's sake, why?
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #22067 on: July 03, 2013, 02:28:43 AM »
I saw a really special snowflake at one of our outlet store strip malls today. Someone had parked their pickup truck perpendicularly across four handicapped parking spaces. Who does this? And for heaven's sake, why?

http://cheezburger.com/6547162368

(bad parker gets parked in by several other annoyed people).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

secretrebel

« Reply #22068 on: July 03, 2013, 05:52:26 AM »
I met a special snowflake at the dentists. We'll call her First Lady because of her need to be ahead of me.

I was walking to the front door when a woman approached in the other direction and did a little run to get to the door first. Only problem, you have to press a buzzer to be let in and First Lady was fumbling at the handle and pushing at the door until I reached forward and pressed the buzzer. 

We got inside, her ahead of me and approached the reception desk where another customer was at the desk being attended to. First Lady initially got in line behind her, then got out of line and started taking off her hat and coat and hanging them up. I stepped forward then, lining up behind the customer at the counter. The receptionist finished and then turned to me with an enquiring look but before I could say award First Lady bounced up between us and started what sounded like a longer question. It went on for a while and then eventually she was asked to take a seat, I explained  "I'm here for my 9.30 appointment" and also took a seat.

From then on whenever someone was called through (about 3 of us over the next 5 minutes) First Lady kept looking up impatiently hoping ti was her name being called. I was called before she was an wondered if she would jump up and try to take my root canal appointment but alas no, I had that all myself.

It wasn't hugely egregious but I did find her little surges forward each time to be first funny. She didn't look as though she was in agony. I think she just wanted to be first!

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #22069 on: July 03, 2013, 07:23:07 AM »
This one didn't work out for the SS driver either (actually, that's an understatement but although it's a tragic story, fortunately no one died).

SS driver is a friend's coworker whose job involves driving a company SUV.  He is an SS because he refuses to put down his smartphone while driving, despite numerous warnings and the fact that it's illegal to text and drive in his state.  He's previously been involved in several minor fender benders, but I guess nothing serious enough to get his license pulled or cause his employer to revoke company car privileges (very small company).

So, SS is driving in heavy traffic with a high school summer hire and, as per usual, texting away.  He didn't see traffic come to a halt until too late, and his reaction was to swerve left into the median and guard rail, causing the SUV to flip several times.  From the photos of the SUV, you wouldn't have guessed it was survivable.

The summer hire was able to walk away with only a few minor injuries.  SS is still in the ICU and may or may not be paralyzed, it's too soon to tell.

Another SS driver I worked with walked with a significant and permanent limp due to the effects of several car accidents she was at least partially responsible for.  Her solution to this was to buy the biggest darn truck she could, so that, in her words, *when* (not if, when) she was in the next accident, she would be protected.

Oh my goodness, if I were the summer hire I'd make a point of NEVER getting in a car with that SS ever again.  I do hope his employer revokes all company car driving privileges from that man.

Seeing as he's in the ICU and a potential paraplegic, I suspect driving privileges from his emoter are the least of his worries!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Hillia

« Reply #22070 on: July 03, 2013, 08:59:32 AM »
Seeing as he's in the ICU and a potential paraplegic, I suspect driving privileges from his emoter are the least of his worries!

I love how autocorrect makes basic communications so much more interesting.  It's an ongoing 'guess the word' game!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22071 on: July 03, 2013, 09:16:15 AM »
I saw a very special snowflake recently. DH and the kids and I were driving to the library to return some books. As we were turning onto the street with the book return, there was a group of three teenagers walking down the street toward us. There was also a man standing at the corner waiting to cross the street. As the teenagers approached the man, one of the girls threw garbage on him. Then she did a big exaggerated hands-over-mouth gesture, laughing like "tee-hee, I can't believe I did that! I'm so bad!" DH actually stopped the car he was so shocked. He wanted to get out and ask her what exactly she thought she was doing, but I wouldn't let him since the kids were with us, and who knows what a group of people who throw garbage at other human beings will do.

This is not a Special Snowflake.

This is just a [strong language].

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22072 on: July 03, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »
I saw a very special snowflake recently. DH and the kids and I were driving to the library to return some books. As we were turning onto the street with the book return, there was a group of three teenagers walking down the street toward us. There was also a man standing at the corner waiting to cross the street. As the teenagers approached the man, one of the girls threw garbage on him. Then she did a big exaggerated hands-over-mouth gesture, laughing like "tee-hee, I can't believe I did that! I'm so bad!" DH actually stopped the car he was so shocked. He wanted to get out and ask her what exactly she thought she was doing, but I wouldn't let him since the kids were with us, and who knows what a group of people who throw garbage at other human beings will do.

This is not a Special Snowflake.

This is just a [strong language].

No lie. Those three teens are the kind that karma will not be kind to in their old age. And then they'll whine about "But why doesn't anyone want to be around me anymore ? I am so special and amazing! People should be clamoring to spend time with me, help me out of a jam, etc. No respect for people our age!"

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22073 on: July 03, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »
Karma will hit before then. They will be in their thirties, and wondering why the "who, lil ol' me?" act that got them through as teenagers is no longer working.

I have learned to be careful of women who still like to refer to themselves as "little girls". They may as well carry a sign that says, "I'm not going to take adult responsibility for anything I do".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

BB-VA

« Reply #22074 on: July 03, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »
Speaking of karma - I saw a bumper sticker on the subject I really coveted the other day.

Remember the old Visa slogan - "It's everywhere you want to be"?  This was "Karma - It's everywhere you're going to be."

Something to remember, IMO.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #22075 on: July 03, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »
My sister works in a large (box store) book store. There is a sizable children's section at the back and it's not that unusual for parents to leave their kids there while they wander in other sections of the store.

Enter SS. A mother comes in, parks her two kids (early school age) in the kids' section and is then seen by an employee heading out of the store. A manager is alerted and goes chasing after the mother. Manager caught up to mother in the parking lot and said "You will come back and get your children. They cannot be left unattended." Mother wasn't impressed, complained that she was just going across to big box furniture store waaaaayyyy across the parking lot, but did go back and get her kids. Yay, manager!

As an aside, although the store is well staffed, being a large bookstore, there are many shelves and not always clear line of sight and therefore...hiding places. A couple of years ago, a man was arrested and later convicted of exposing himself to a child in the children's section of the store after she had been left to read there on her own.

Aaaaaaand this: http://www.queenofwands.net/d/20031205.html is all I can think about now.

Warning for naughty word.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22076 on: July 03, 2013, 04:46:13 PM »
I think I need to show that to a friend of mine who works retail.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22077 on: July 03, 2013, 05:09:46 PM »
People who leave their children in the store should remember what happened to Adam Walsh.  (Warning -- link mentions child death.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #22078 on: July 03, 2013, 05:09:57 PM »

http://cheezburger.com/6547162368

(bad parker gets parked in by several other annoyed people).

Unless there's some backstory on that link, I think that the four annoyed people were being ridiculous.  That parking lot is empty, and the car taking up so many spaces is neither right in front nor blocking anyone in.  Not to mention that the way that they parked to block the car in takes up way more spaces than is necessary.  I call that a whole blizzard.

nuit93

« Reply #22079 on: July 03, 2013, 05:29:20 PM »
People who leave their children in the store should remember what happened to Adam Walsh.  (Warning -- link mentions child death.)

He's the reason my mother never let me out of her sight, even when I preferred to be.  She was pregnant with me (her first kid) when he disappeared.