Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5285167 times)

daen

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22095 on: July 04, 2013, 02:18:33 PM »
My sister works in a large (box store) book store. There is a sizable children's section at the back and it's not that unusual for parents to leave their kids there while they wander in other sections of the store.

Enter SS. A mother comes in, parks her two kids (early school age) in the kids' section and is then seen by an employee heading out of the store. A manager is alerted and goes chasing after the mother. Manager caught up to mother in the parking lot and said "You will come back and get your children. They cannot be left unattended." Mother wasn't impressed, complained that she was just going across to big box furniture store waaaaayyyy across the parking lot, but did go back and get her kids. Yay, manager!

As an aside, although the store is well staffed, being a large bookstore, there are many shelves and not always clear line of sight and therefore...hiding places. A couple of years ago, a man was arrested and later convicted of exposing himself to a child in the children's section of the store after she had been left to read there on her own.

I worked in a bookstore once where a number of aisles were set across the width of the store, rather than along the length, and the checkout was at the front of the store. The manga (some of which were somewhat adult in storyline) were at the wall end of one of these aisles.  One day I walked down the center of the store, just checking things over, and discovered a young teen boy in front of the manga shelves, his back to me. He was on his knees, and seemed to be rocking... rhythmically... and intensely.
I decided I didn't get paid enough to deal with what might be going on, so I went back to the desk. There was no one else in the store, and no one came in until after he left. I did report the incident to my manager, and on my next shift, the manga was on a display rack in clear line of sight from the cash register, as well the front entrance.

On another occasion, my manager once had to deal with a young girl - four, at a guess - who appeared to be with someone who had a booth at a weekend craft show in the mall, just outside our entrance. She'd wander through, throw the books around, demand to use the bathroom (which my manager gave in to, because she  didn't trust the kid not to make a human-waste mess in the kids corner if denied), came out of the bathroom with smeary hands... and the adult who was in charge of this child did nothing. My manager was the only employee in the store, so she couldn't deal with the child without leaving the store unattended...

Jones

« Reply #22096 on: July 04, 2013, 08:36:12 PM »
I nominate my husband's once-good friend, who was the best man at my wedding. Afterwards he started to draw away, as we were in a different point of our lives than he was. We do still see him several times a year and the guys are friendly. Understandable and not snowflakey.

What is SS about him? Well he posted on Facebook that he needed mailing addresses for wedding invites. I sent him DH and my address, he wrote back gushing about how glad he was we could come, how he's missed us, hopes the kids are great etc. Guy lives a 5 minute drive from my house and works a half mile away.

So today he shared a post on his wall. The post was originally his fiancée's post, and it essentially says "if you want a wedding invite come to my tattoo shop and pick one up, they are on the counter". Yes. He couldn't post it himself, he shared the post for aaall his FB friends who may potentially want to go pick up an invite. If we want the information we have to go to his fiancée's place of business and grab one, like some picnic flyer. Just seems strange and awkward to me! And not even a pm to pretend at some personal invitation to come to his wedding? Strange. Kinda wondering how many random tattoo customers with no other connection to the couple are going to show up for free cake.

Update to this:
Apparently not many people showed up to get their invitations. They made a Facebook invite for all that states we have to bring money if we want food, and there will be a wishing well as the couple is saving for a new Harley. And we are all allowed to invite other people because the more the merrier, they just want a fun party.

Xandraea

« Reply #22097 on: July 04, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »
I nominate my husband's once-good friend, who was the best man at my wedding. Afterwards he started to draw away, as we were in a different point of our lives than he was. We do still see him several times a year and the guys are friendly. Understandable and not snowflakey.

What is SS about him? Well he posted on Facebook that he needed mailing addresses for wedding invites. I sent him DH and my address, he wrote back gushing about how glad he was we could come, how he's missed us, hopes the kids are great etc. Guy lives a 5 minute drive from my house and works a half mile away.

So today he shared a post on his wall. The post was originally his fiancée's post, and it essentially says "if you want a wedding invite come to my tattoo shop and pick one up, they are on the counter". Yes. He couldn't post it himself, he shared the post for aaall his FB friends who may potentially want to go pick up an invite. If we want the information we have to go to his fiancée's place of business and grab one, like some picnic flyer. Just seems strange and awkward to me! And not even a pm to pretend at some personal invitation to come to his wedding? Strange. Kinda wondering how many random tattoo customers with no other connection to the couple are going to show up for free cake.

Update to this:
Apparently not many people showed up to get their invitations. They made a Facebook invite for all that states we have to bring money if we want food, and there will be a wishing well as the couple is saving for a new Harley. And we are all allowed to invite other people because the more the merrier, they just want a fun party.

Absolutely appalling.  They won't even be bothered to mail out real invitations (they expected people to come pick up their own invitation?!), yet want people to bring money to feed themselves, more money for the couple's new Harley, and more people (to bring more money and more money).  Outrageous.  Even if I were on FB to see this catastrophe of etiquette, I'd be declining and running far in the opposite direction.  Yeesh.

nuit93

« Reply #22098 on: July 04, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »
My daughter, now 20, could not be left in the toy section of any store, because she insisted on putting everything in its place, and organizing it. Unfortunately, that tendency did not (and does not now) extend to her room at home.

Apparently when I was a toddler, I wandered over to a shoe store and began straightening all the shoes on display.

Jones

« Reply #22099 on: July 04, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »

Update to this:

Absolutely appalling.  They won't even be bothered to mail out real invitations (they expected people to come pick up their own invitation?!), yet want people to bring money to feed themselves, more money for the couple's new Harley, and more people (to bring more money and more money).  Outrageous.  Even if I were on FB to see this catastrophe of etiquette, I'd be declining and running far in the opposite direction.  Yeesh.
To be honest I am starting to get a little horrified; at first it was funny but now....And I know that HE at least KNOWS better. She is old enough (about 40 years old) to know better. So I don't know where this is coming from.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #22100 on: July 05, 2013, 07:23:06 AM »
My daughter, now 20, could not be left in the toy section of any store, because she insisted on putting everything in its place, and organizing it. Unfortunately, that tendency did not (and does not now) extend to her room at home.

My son is the same way! SIL expressed concern about OCD; however he sure does like to throw stuff around his room, mix salt and pepper on the kitchen floor then dance about it tribal style.

I did that too.  I also organised clothing racks by sizes and occasionally shoes.  ::)  My bedroom was also sort of messy though.

I was a weird child.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #22101 on: July 05, 2013, 09:23:21 AM »
I would let my kids go into the toy department, but the rules were they had to stay together. If one had to use the restroom, they all went. There was no messing around, and no asking for stuff. If they took something off the shelf, they were to put it back where they got it from.

We went and found them one day in the toys, and my daughter says, she was probably 6 or 7, that a little kid just started throwing things on the floor, and after he left, the 3 of mine, helped the associate pick up the mess. 

From the time my kids were little, I would make them pick up random things off the floor, and at least put them on the nearest shelf. I wanted them to realize just what someone in retail has to go through.

Before it was required to shrink wrap a pallet of merchandise to move it off the floor, an associate moving one had it fall across the floor. There was probably 4 all together cleaning up the scattered product. The co-manager said his mom would have stopped and had him help pick it up, and I laughed and said I would have made my kids help as well.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #22102 on: July 05, 2013, 12:36:23 PM »
Wal-Mart SS. We made the mistake of going to Wal-Mart during the day yesterday and it was packed. Our Wal-Mart has the self-checkout registers that are arranged in a big square, with one entrance and one exit, so you can have one or two employees watching a dozen registers. The line had formed to the left of the self-checkout entrance, and it was quite obvious there was a long line. We had been waiting for at least ten minutes and were second in line when SS group #1 rushed in from the right and practically ran to a newly empty register before the woman at the front of the line could even move. SS group #2 came right on the heels of group 1, also from the right, and stood there discussing which register they could go to when one opened (registers are either cash or card, not both). The woman at the front of the line told them that the line started on the left. SS group #2 looked over and got these affronted looks on their faces. No one said aloud "how dare the line be this long!" that I heard, but they were all clearly thinking it. They abandoned their cart--directly in the center of the entrance to the self-checkout area--and stomped off. Personally I'd rather wait than make two trips to Wal-Mart, but to each their own.

Jocelyn

« Reply #22103 on: July 05, 2013, 12:39:41 PM »
A train of mild SS'ness:

Shopper A and Shopper B finish checking out and exit the checkouts. Shopper A is two checkouts closer to the exit than B, so she  reaches the exit just ahead of B. They go into the vestibule like a little choochoo train. There are 2 exterior doors, with the one on the left marked EXIT and the one on the right ENTRANCE. A couple, C, approach the store from the outside, and approach the EXIT door, since it is closer, and pause to enter. A pushes her cart out the door, B pushes her cart to the doorway. A then comes to a complete halt, and starts digging in her purse for her sunglasses. B cannot go forward, because of A; she cannot turn left because of C, and because A's cart is angled to the right, she doesn't try to get around her on the right. A continues to dig. The couple glares, but since A has her back to them, they glare at B.

snowdragon

« Reply #22104 on: July 05, 2013, 01:14:27 PM »
Wal-Mart SS. We made the mistake of going to Wal-Mart during the day yesterday and it was packed. Our Wal-Mart has the self-checkout registers that are arranged in a big square, with one entrance and one exit, so you can have one or two employees watching a dozen registers. The line had formed to the left of the self-checkout entrance, and it was quite obvious there was a long line. We had been waiting for at least ten minutes and were second in line when SS group #1 rushed in from the right and practically ran to a newly empty register before the woman at the front of the line could even move. SS group #2 came right on the heels of group 1, also from the right, and stood there discussing which register they could go to when one opened (registers are either cash or card, not both). The woman at the front of the line told them that the line started on the left. SS group #2 looked over and got these affronted looks on their faces. No one said aloud "how dare the line be this long!" that I heard, but they were all clearly thinking it. They abandoned their cart--directly in the center of the entrance to the self-checkout area--and stomped off. Personally I'd rather wait than make two trips to Wal-Mart, but to each their own.

I went to Target yesterday to pick up a nightgown for a great aunt recently admitted to a nursing home. I was about to put my stuff on the belt when some one came from nowhere shoved in front of me ( from the end of the register closest to the doors  instead of the normal way of going through the end closest to the store)  and put her stuff ahead of mine.  I looked at the cashier - who was just as incredulous as I - and told her that she had seen that I was next and she reached to take my stuff, to take me in turn. SSshopper told her that if she did that, that SSshopper would "have her job". I replied that I was there in line first and if it came down to it, I would go complain also.  The SSshopper told me "So, what, you just wait your turn, I was at the register first." By this point the manager got wind of the issue, came over and asked what was going on - we all told her and she looked at me and said "Well,do you mind waiting it would be easier." I replied that Yes I would mind, I should have been taken care of already but because someone cut the entire process I was being held up.  She audibly sighed and told the cashier to take me first and the SS would.not.move. from in front of the credit card pad - cashier detaches it and hands it to me. SS gets ticked at this move.
  Manager then tells the cashier "When you are done with her, take SS next." at which point the rest of the line protests. Manager asks "Well, what do you want me to do - force her to go to the back." The guy behind said "Yes, that is what would be fair to the rest of us. Some of us had been in line for 10 minuets BEFORE she cut the line."  When I left SSshopper, was still trying to be taken care of and the guy behind me was arguing with the manager to be taken in turn.
  I think the manager is a good example of why SS's act the way they do....because too many people try to give them their way.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #22105 on: July 05, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »

I went to Target yesterday to pick up a nightgown for a great aunt recently admitted to a nursing home. I was about to put my stuff on the belt when some one came from nowhere shoved in front of me ( from the end of the register closest to the doors  instead of the normal way of going through the end closest to the store)  and put her stuff ahead of mine.  I looked at the cashier - who was just as incredulous as I - and told her that she had seen that I was next and she reached to take my stuff, to take me in turn. SSshopper told her that if she did that, that SSshopper would "have her job". I replied that I was there in line first and if it came down to it, I would go complain also.  The SSshopper told me "So, what, you just wait your turn, I was at the register first." By this point the manager got wind of the issue, came over and asked what was going on - we all told her and she looked at me and said "Well,do you mind waiting it would be easier." I replied that Yes I would mind, I should have been taken care of already but because someone cut the entire process I was being held up.  She audibly sighed and told the cashier to take me first and the SS would.not.move. from in front of the credit card pad - cashier detaches it and hands it to me. SS gets ticked at this move.
  Manager then tells the cashier "When you are done with her, take SS next." at which point the rest of the line protests. Manager asks "Well, what do you want me to do - force her to go to the back." The guy behind said "Yes, that is what would be fair to the rest of us. Some of us had been in line for 10 minuets BEFORE she cut the line."  When I left SSshopper, was still trying to be taken care of and the guy behind me was arguing with the manager to be taken in turn.
  I think the manager is a good example of why SS's act the way they do....because too many people try to give them their way.

"I'd be willing to wait for a $50 gift card"  >:D Wonder if Manager would still see it as the 'easier' option?
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #22106 on: July 05, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »

If you read Customers Suck and Not Always Right, you'll find that all-too-many mangers do that--cave in to the rude and obnoxious, instead of supporting their own employees. I get the impression that it's sometimes to avoid having to deal with the SS and sometimes because the manager doesn't want to lose a sale.

Speaking of CS, this thread has several stories of SS who complained about pets at pet-friendly hotels and even a complaint about allowing a service dog in a hotel. One offensive word at the bottom of the first page.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

amylouky

« Reply #22107 on: July 05, 2013, 02:45:53 PM »
Manager asks "Well, what do you want me to do - force her to go to the back."

How did they get to be a retail manager without understanding the basics of how a line works?

Oh, wait. I've read notalwaysright.com too long to even ask that question, really..

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22108 on: July 05, 2013, 02:53:58 PM »

"I'd be willing to wait for a $50 gift card"  >:D Wonder if Manager would still see it as the 'easier' option?

I would go with give everyone in line a $50 gift card (Because the snowdragon said there were several people behind her)- or call the cops to remove SS and issue a no trespass order against her.

Snowdragon I think you should definitely contact corporate and tell the exactly what you told us. The manager needs to be demoted or fired. SS should have been given 1 of 2 choices leave or be arrested.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

cattlekid

« Reply #22109 on: July 05, 2013, 04:32:47 PM »
Oooh....this reminds me of a Post Office special snowflake from years past.  It was the holiday season and I went into my local Post Office first thing in the morning before work to mail a package.  I had the package properly wrapped, taped and labeled and had the correct labels written out for overseas shipping as well, all researched online ahead of time. 

Well, when I got to the Post Office, there was an individual at the counter who was loudly berating the staff for his personal inability to fill out the correct paperwork for the package he was trying to mail. The staff was trying to be as polite as possible, but I could tell they were getting frustrated the more he complained.  So I said what I knew they were dying to say....I told him that it was not their fault that he didn't fill out the correct paperwork and that he really shouldn't treat the staff like that.  Staff were staring open-mouthed while SS slunk off around the corner to his Post Office box. 

After he left, the staff thanked me for saying what they couldn't say.