Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4393206 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22200 on: July 11, 2013, 07:32:03 PM »
This week the snowflakes have been flying pretty heavily around my workplace.  The calls we've been getting...I'd say you'd never guess what they were like, but I know bunches of people here have worked in customer service before, so you will understand.

One lady called me yesterday, left a voicemail saying it's urgent that she speak with me, she's been calling for weeks, and she's being neglected.  I pull up her claim, which I then note was denied in April.  And that she's talked to four of my coworkers over the past week and a half (while I was gone on vacation!).  I call her, and she immediately starts to rant and rage at me about why I haven't done anything with her claim, how dare we call this service, etc etc.  I explain we have no information we can act on, and she wants to know why I haven't been following up to get the information.  I tell her that we don't continue to follow up on denied claims, as it's her responsibility to get info to us.  She informs me that she shouldn't be penalized for not doing anything, and hangs up.  If only this wasn't this sixth time I've had this conversation with her...

Then there are the people who get offended and angry when I can't understand their accents and ask them to repeat things.  I'm not deliberately trying to be difficult, but if I ask for a name of someone and it sounds to me like you say, "Dglurglemacfiner", I will ask you to repeat yourself.  Most people will repeat the name slower, or spell it for me.  It takes a very special breed of snowflake to repeat the name exactly as they have done before, and then swear at me when I ask them to spell it, as though I've revealed myself to be the worst person ever for not knowing the names of every doctor and hospital in every city in America. 

BB-VA

« Reply #22201 on: July 11, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
That is ridiculous.  No one should take a child to any movie with the impression that they are free to run up and down the aisles.    In a kids movie - you should expect more noise, because they will ask questions or announce potty breaks very loudly, you may have a meltdown -but they should be removed immediately.  I would never expect "ring pop" wars or loud talking from anyone over the age of a toddler.

Or why  I LOVE a cinema about 15 miles from us.  All showings after 6PM are over 21 only.  You can have dinner in the theater, Beer & wine available & no kids.  DH & I can see a movie, have dinner & a glass of wine and spend about $20.00 total.  Pretty cheap for a date.  ;D 

Same theater also has a weekly showing for folks with sensory issues.  Lights are kept on at a medium level, sound levels turned down & people are free to sing, dance, walk around,
& do whatever makes them comfortable.  I think it is a great idea.

Alamo Drafthouse?
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22202 on: July 11, 2013, 10:15:33 PM »
That is ridiculous.  No one should take a child to any movie with the impression that they are free to run up and down the aisles.    In a kids movie - you should expect more noise, because they will ask questions or announce potty breaks very loudly, you may have a meltdown -but they should be removed immediately.  I would never expect "ring pop" wars or loud talking from anyone over the age of a toddler.

Or why  I LOVE a cinema about 15 miles from us.  All showings after 6PM are over 21 only.  You can have dinner in the theater, Beer & wine available & no kids.  DH & I can see a movie, have dinner & a glass of wine and spend about $20.00 total.  Pretty cheap for a date.  ;D 

Same theater also has a weekly showing for folks with sensory issues.  Lights are kept on at a medium level, sound levels turned down & people are free to sing, dance, walk around,

Alamo Drafthouse?

Love that place
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

lilfox

« Reply #22203 on: July 11, 2013, 10:54:22 PM »
Just a warning that 21+ boutique theatres are not immune to annoying patrons.  Despite the $20-something ticket prices and supposedly stricter rule enforcement, my friend ended up sitting next to a young woman who texted throughout the latest James Bond movie.   ::). My friend didnt say anything, she is far more tolerant than I am.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22204 on: July 11, 2013, 11:22:24 PM »
Alamo Drafthouse will kick you out for using your cell phone period

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs (language caution)

"Magnited State of America" >:D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:32:42 PM by PastryGoddess »
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

greencat

« Reply #22205 on: July 11, 2013, 11:47:02 PM »
The law enforcement agencies that decided to use an out-of-the-way portion of campus to safely detonate explosives - very, very loudly.  Like, shook the windows of houses in neighborhoods nearby, loud.  They did not apparently bother alerting anyone to the fact that they'd be conducting the explosions during that time - my department only got informed about it at the last minute.  I ended up telling a caller that they were "blowing stuff up on purpose" - I was a little loopy from cold medicine today.

snowfire

« Reply #22206 on: July 12, 2013, 01:29:22 AM »

Alamo Drafthouse?

Nope, Northern Lights Cinema in Nampa, Idaho.  Tickets are $3.00 each & food is pretty reasonable & generous portions. They have pulled out every other row of seats & put in long skinny tables.  Love the place.

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #22207 on: July 12, 2013, 01:42:58 AM »
I also made the mistake of seeing Monsters University the other day in the theater. I always arrive early to get a good seat since I like to be dead center. I was the only one there with 10 minutes until showtime. 5 minutes later a woman and her approximately 4-5 year old daughter arrive and sit RIGHT BEHIND my right shoulder out of 209 remaining seats. I really wouldn't mind if the woman hadn't kept up a commentary to the kid who was actually pretty quiet after getting scared by a loud preview. At one point I turned around and looked at her and she finally stopped making inane comments.

Seriously, if you're going to talk through a movie in a nearly empty theater don't sit where your voice has optimal penetration into someone else's ear!

I went to a movie quite some time ago that had oversold the seats. They let everyone in and all the steps were covered with people sitting, you could barely move. Apart from the cramped conditions everyone behaved themselves after the promos except for the occasional light from a silent phone going off. No one ringtone was heard and only the occasional food bag noise was heard. Impressed. I had more trouble when I went to see a manga with only 20 people in a big theatre. Being the only shy female in that showing I had to keep moving seats. I ended up next to a lovely older guy who I had chatted with in the foyer prior to the movie who growled whenever a creepy guy tried to sneak close to us. Older guy had a daughter my age so he saw what was happening. I have more backbone now thankfully.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #22208 on: July 12, 2013, 01:58:26 AM »
A post in the "Craft Freebies"thread reminded me of a special snowflake I had forgotten about.

A man I knew had gotten into Reiki and wanted to open a business doing Reiki consultations.  I told him I was interested in helping him open an office - then I found out what he wanted:

A 10,000 square foot building, with aquariums and water features and trees and flowers and chirping birds with lots of free space where people could come without having to pay anything, oh yes and I should marry his daughter (who I have never met) so that he didn't feel bad that I would be paying for everything.

Didn't happen.  I was willing to help him rent a small space near where he lived to have space to build up a clientele (like half the rent for a year) but I wasn't going to fund insanity.

BB-VA

« Reply #22209 on: July 12, 2013, 06:18:50 AM »

Alamo Drafthouse?

Nope, Northern Lights Cinema in Nampa, Idaho.  Tickets are $3.00 each & food is pretty reasonable & generous portions. They have pulled out every other row of seats & put in long skinny tables.  Love the place.

Sounds even better to me!  I hope they have plans to expand.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Geekychick1984

« Reply #22210 on: July 12, 2013, 06:38:12 AM »
What got me was when I was commenting on this to several people, they pointed out but it's a KIDS movie. Why yes it is, but that doens't give them the right to disrupt those of us (kids and adults) who might actually want to watch the movie. I say if your child can't sit through one, then wait until they can.

Even when I try and go when I think there will be the least amount of people, there are always some that annoy me, so I've just stopped going to the movies altogether. I just don't enjoy it anymore.

POD to this - I go to the movies maybe twice a year if there's something I really, really want to see.  If not, I have Netflix and Amazon.

Perfect Circle

• The followers of chaos, out of control
« Reply #22211 on: July 12, 2013, 09:11:12 AM »

Alamo Drafthouse?

Sounds even better to me!  I hope they have plans to expand.

My local has this policy in place and enforces it. You can take calls outside but never indoors. It's great.
In all this talk of time
Talk is fine
But I don't want to stay around
Why can't we pantomime, just close our eyes
And sleep sweet dreams
Me and you with wings on our feet

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22212 on: July 12, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »
Personally, I don't mind small outbursts from small children at movies that are geared towards them. But I'm talking like momentary reactions that are obviously what the movie is aiming for (gasping when something startling happens, laughing at jokes, etc.).

With little kids, you sometimes get a little bit more of a reaction than what you'd get from an adult, but if it's brief and caused by something that happened in the movie, I tend not to mind it. Sometimes, it makes the movie even more awesome. :)

One example is when my husband and I went to see Brave. There's a scene where a whole group of men get down from a castle roof after being locked up there by taking off their kilts to make a rope ladder. So once they get down, there's a shot of them all walking back inside with nothing covering their backsides. One little boy exclaimed quite loudly that "their butts are naked!" or something similar, because he thought it was the most hilarious thing he had ever seen. It was honestly funnier than the movie scene itself.

Or when we went to see Tangled, there was a small group of girls that were just totally, totally in love with Flynn Rider, and had a vocal but not unexpected reaction to the scene where he and Rapunzel are in the boat with all the lights floating around. It was adorable.

Children who are upset should definitely be taken out of the theater, for their own sake as much as for everyone else's. Children who can't stay in their seats don't need to be watching movies until they are able to sit still. Children who are being noisy because they aren't paying attention also don't need to be in the theater. But I do give children who are momentarily loud because they are watching and enjoying the movie a definite pass. If they quiet down (especially if their parents encourage them to quiet down) and are otherwise well-behaved, I'm cool with that.

That is what should be expected when you watch a children's movie. Not total chaos caused by children who are too young or too disinterested to pay attention and/or enjoy the movie.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22213 on: July 12, 2013, 11:10:34 AM »
I was willing to help him rent a small space near where he lived to have space to build up a clientele (like half the rent for a year) but I wasn't going to fund insanity.

Is there a reason why you'd even do that? It's pretty above the call of duty to fund someone else's business for half a year.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #22214 on: July 12, 2013, 11:17:12 AM »
Personally, I don't mind small outbursts from small children at movies that are geared towards them. But I'm talking like momentary reactions that are obviously what the movie is aiming for (gasping when something startling happens, laughing at jokes, etc.).

With little kids, you sometimes get a little bit more of a reaction than what you'd get from an adult, but if it's brief and caused by something that happened in the movie, I tend not to mind it. Sometimes, it makes the movie even more awesome. :)

One example is when my husband and I went to see Brave. There's a scene where a whole group of men get down from a castle roof after being locked up there by taking off their kilts to make a rope ladder. So once they get down, there's a shot of them all walking back inside with nothing covering their backsides. One little boy exclaimed quite loudly that "their butts are naked!" or something similar, because he thought it was the most hilarious thing he had ever seen. It was honestly funnier than the movie scene itself.

Or when we went to see Tangled, there was a small group of girls that were just totally, totally in love with Flynn Rider, and had a vocal but not unexpected reaction to the scene where he and Rapunzel are in the boat with all the lights floating around. It was adorable.

Children who are upset should definitely be taken out of the theater, for their own sake as much as for everyone else's. Children who can't stay in their seats don't need to be watching movies until they are able to sit still. Children who are being noisy because they aren't paying attention also don't need to be in the theater. But I do give children who are momentarily loud because they are watching and enjoying the movie a definite pass. If they quiet down (especially if their parents encourage them to quiet down) and are otherwise well-behaved, I'm cool with that.

That is what should be expected when you watch a children's movie. Not total chaos caused by children who are too young or too disinterested to pay attention and/or enjoy the movie.

Sometimes those incidents are quite memorable. As a teenager, I went to a revival of Fantasia with my boyfriend. For those of you who haven't seen it/don't remember, the movie starts by showing the actual narrator and orchestra, then goes into a very abstract bit of animation, and only then do the familiar animation segments start.

The kid behind us spent the live-action and abstract parts piping up with repeated accusations of "Daddy! YOU said this was a CARTOOON!! This is not a CARTOOOOON!!!!" The dad would promise it was coming, but a few minutes later, the kid would start again.

When the Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairies finally started, I heard a mollified "Oh. THIS is the CARTOOON," from the row behind me, and then the kid behaved for the rest of the movie.  :D I own Fantasia on DVD and still think of him every time I watch it!
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)