Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5056384 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22320 on: July 19, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »
This SS couple at a restaurant had a fussy baby, one kid licking a honey container and another standing on a chair (3 and 4 years old, respectively). Apparently they were worried about the baby getting fussy + people judging the mom for breastfeeding, but not a peep from them about "oops, we should take away the honey container and insist the kids sit down."  ::)

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/breastfeeding-note-from-pizza-waitress-pays-it-forward-164047499.html

Thank you!  That was what I was thinking last night when I read the story.  He was licking the honey container?!?!?!?  Ewwwww.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22321 on: July 19, 2013, 11:15:28 AM »
Back when laptops were pretty much things that business people had - I had a few run ins like this where parents expected me to
1. Let their kids watch movies on my laptop
2. Me to change the movie because it was something they 'didn't allow' their kid to see. If their kid wasn't trying to climb over me they wouldn't have been able to see the screen. (I always use headphones)

On lady actually picked up up the wallet of DVD's out of my bag tried to tell me to change the movie to a kids movie I had. Security made her stay on the other side of the ER Waiting room from me. (One of the few times I've ever had to wait. I had taken a bad fall and Landed with my arm locked).

Sis has had people try to make her share the kids DVD players on planes. With Global Warming they might thaw out in 50 or so years.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #22322 on: July 19, 2013, 11:19:58 AM »
For the kid and honey one,

At first I thought a busybody was going to say something about small kids and honey, as it can be a health issue.

Still, licking a honey (first typed hiney--ooh hoo hoo!) bottle is not hygenic for anyone.

Nice that the mom got some free food for breastfeeding.  But, it does sound like the kids were a bit unruly, and it is a reminder for me to remember to eat without table top condiments from bottles in restaurants. 

eww...
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22323 on: July 19, 2013, 11:25:52 AM »

All I remember her from is some commercial (late 70's or early 80's). I think it was for hairspray. It started with "Hi, I'm Rula Lenska". That's the only reason I've ever heard her name.

Wasn't the rest of that add something like:  "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" ?

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22324 on: July 19, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »
This SS couple at a restaurant had a fussy baby, one kid licking a honey container and another standing on a chair (3 and 4 years old, respectively). Apparently they were worried about the baby getting fussy + people judging the mom for breastfeeding, but not a peep from them about "oops, we should take away the honey container and insist the kids sit down."  ::)

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/breastfeeding-note-from-pizza-waitress-pays-it-forward-164047499.html

Thank you!  That was what I was thinking last night when I read the story.  He was licking the honey container?!?!?!?  Ewwwww.

Oh, good. It wasn't just me.

All I remember her from is some commercial (late 70's or early 80's). I think it was for hairspray. It started with "Hi, I'm Rula Lenska". That's the only reason I've ever heard her name.

Wasn't the rest of that add something like:  "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" ?

That was Kelly LeBrock for Pantene.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22325 on: July 19, 2013, 12:25:42 PM »

No, it wasn't, cause I thought the same thing! I'd be more likely to notice that than the baby being breastfed.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #22326 on: July 19, 2013, 12:33:39 PM »
Rula Lenska
Rula Lenska (born Rosa Marie Lubienski, 30 September 1947) is an English actress. Best known for her work in the United Kingdom, she is remembered in the United States for a television advert that presented her as a celebrity, even though she was not widely known in the US at the time the advert was produced...in the late 1970s and early 1980s, Lenska became famous in the United States and Canada for her Alberto VO5 hair products commercials. The commercial began with a closeup of her stating, "I'm Rula Lenska." People assumed this was a product endorsement by a celebrity whose name the advertisers expected them to know—although, in North America, Lenska was virtually unknown prior to the VO5 ad campaign.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

nayberry

« Reply #22327 on: July 19, 2013, 12:58:40 PM »
Rula Lenska
Rula Lenska (born Rosa Marie Lubienski, 30 September 1947) is an English actress. Best known for her work in the United Kingdom, she is remembered in the United States for a television advert that presented her as a celebrity, even though she was not widely known in the US at the time the advert was produced...in the late 1970s and early 1980s, Lenska became famous in the United States and Canada for her Alberto VO5 hair products commercials. The commercial began with a closeup of her stating, "I'm Rula Lenska." People assumed this was a product endorsement by a celebrity whose name the advertisers expected them to know—although, in North America, Lenska was virtually unknown prior to the VO5 ad campaign.

she was also married to dennis waterman (uk actor) and if you've ever watched little britain the take the mickey, it's the sketch where he wants to "write the theme tune, sing the theme tune", as most things he's been in over here he did at least sing the theme tune!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22328 on: July 19, 2013, 01:44:40 PM »
pierrotlunaire0 wrote:

"Thank you!  That was what I was thinking last night when I read the story.  He was licking the honey container?!?!?!?  Ewwwww."

Well, I'll be kind enough to say that there's no mention in the story but it's possible she or her DH pointed out the honey bottle to the staff so they could clean it.  He did exit the restaurant well after she did, so there was time to deal with it.

Virg

magician5

« Reply #22329 on: July 19, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »
I had a similar thing happen with my Ipad mini at a museum...except the mom came up and told me that her kid wanted a "turn" and that since "Museums are for kids, I needed to give it to him" When I refused she tried to take it and then called me a few choice names and stormed off saying "We'll see about this!"
  The staff member she got to deal with it informed her that it was indeed my personal property, no they couldn't make me give it to the kid, and no the museum was not just for kids.  I thought the woman's head would spin when the staff member called me by name and told her that I was a long time volunteer.  The woman and her kid spent the rest of my visit following me and calling me a female dog and a child hater.

Absolutely mind-boggling!
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #22330 on: July 19, 2013, 03:32:32 PM »
I had an encounter with an SS mom yesterday evening.  I was meeting up with DH after work for dinner since our power went out and I didn't want to sit my 33 week pregnant self in an unair-conditioned house in the extreme heat the DC area is experiencing (luckily it was back on by the time we went home).

I was in the waiting area of the restaurant entertaining myself on my tablet (which DH had just given me Monday for my birthday), and there were a few people waiting for their pick-up orders (Famous Daves).

A mother (SS) and her son (B), who was probably around 7 I'd guess, sat near me.

I'll paraphrase since I don't recall the conversation exactly, but this is basically what happened:

B: I'm bored!
SS: It'll just be another 10 minutes
B: I'm bored now!
SS: That lady there has a toy - go see if she'll share
B (comes up me): Excuse me!  My mom says you should share your toy with me
Me (startled, because I didn't think the mom was talking about me in regards to a toy): Um, no, I'm sorry.  This isn't a toy - it's expensive, and I don't let other people use it.
B: You're supposed to share!
Me: No
SS: Come on!  He's bored, and that thing can keep him entertained *Gives significant look to my belly* You'll see soon enough.
Me: No.
SS: Come back over here B, that mean <female dog> isn't nice, and won't share. I feel sorry for her future kid.
Me (probably shouldn't have engaged the crazy, but I'm hormonal):  My kid won't be taught to be entitled to other people's possessions and I won't expect the world to entertain her.
SS: <female dog>
Me: Thank you for the compliment

B started throwing a tantrum and SS kept talking about me under her breathe, and then started complaining about me to another woman seated nearby (they didn't seem to be waiting together, she appeared to be a stranger). What boggled my mind is that the other woman agreed that I was selfish and rude to not entertain the kid, and it was my fault he was throwing a tantrum. Luckily, DH arrived shortly after and we were seated.

I had a similar thing happen with my Ipad mini at a museum...except the mom came up and told me that her kid wanted a "turn" and that since "Museums are for kids, I needed to give it to him" When I refused she tried to take it and then called me a few choice names and stormed off saying "We'll see about this!"
  The staff member she got to deal with it informed her that it was indeed my personal property, no they couldn't make me give it to the kid, and no the museum was not just for kids.  I thought the woman's head would spin when the staff member called me by name and told her that I was a long time volunteer.  The woman and her kid spent the rest of my visit following me and calling me a female dog and a child hater.
As a long-time volunteer, I would hope your advice would be taken seriously and if I were you, I'd be advising the staff that they need to eject such people from the premises asap and develop a regular policy on the matter, if they don't already have one. NO ONE should have to endure being called names and being harassed and stalked around a museum for any reason whatsoever.

I can assure you that if I had been the victim, I would have asked what the staff was going to do about this anti-social behavior. If they did not throw her out, I would never return to this museum ever and I'd make sure everyone I knew was aware that the museum permitted this behavior to go on inside their doors.

I am surprised that the museum didn't kick that mother out after she started following you. I would have reported her behavior for sure, that's all kinds of wrong.

As for parents demanding that others hand over their expensive equipment to entertain their children, this is something I worry about as a costumer/cosplayer.
Some of my props cost a lot of money (I've got lightsabers with soundboards that would cost over $300 to replace), and some have had a LOT of work put into building them. Now, I've been known to let calm, responsible people hold them if they ask politely. But I've also declined when I felt that the person asking was the sort who might be a problem. Either they might abuse it, try to run off, or do something stupid with it and get me into trouble along with them (It might be deemed my fault because the prop belonged to me, and the incident would not have happened if I had kept it in my own hand.)

At the moment I'm working on a lightsaber/katana style weapon. It's going to have a full soundboard with a ton of features. Seriously, I'll be able to easily cycle through nine different fully customized sound/blade effect/blade color settings just by pushing a button. I've also got illuminated switches and ostrich leg skin for the handle, it's going to be gorgeous. Now, there are some people who I would happily let hold it, mainly friends or other mature costumers or prop builders, or fans. People who understand how valuable these kinds of things are. But there's a ton of entitled parents out there who think that anything Star Wars or costume related must be for kids, or that all people in costume are the equivalent of paid mascots, whose job it is to be their personal floor show.
So for me, a grabby parent expecting me to hand over a one of a kind prop worth several hundred dollars so that their kid can "play" with it is a distinct possibility. I think I'd use the line somebody else here suggested- "Are you willing to give me a $1000 damage deposit in case anything happens? No? Well then, no touchy!"
Or perhaps "Look lady, this is a one-of-a-kind professional level prop. You want your kid to have a lightsaber? I hear WalMart sells them nice and cheap!"

I love how some people's response to this sort of BS is "Well, you shouldn't have your expensive prop/ipad/other belongings out in public, then! I had some twit say that to me once, when she ran over the hem of my cloak with her stroller (it had slipped off my shoulders a bit and the hem must have been trailing a bit. "Don't want it damaged, then You shouldn't have it out!"
(The evil side of me wonders how that twit would have reacted if somebody dumped ketchup on her white shirt? "Don't want your nice shirt ruined? Your fault for wearing it out!")
EX-cuse me!? Since when do us decent people have to refrain from using or wearing our own property, because some entitlement poisoned knuckledraggers can't entertain their own kids or otherwise mind their manners?

Bethczar

« Reply #22331 on: July 19, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »

No, it wasn't, cause I thought the same thing! I'd be more likely to notice that than the baby being breastfed.
Ja, I was a bit grossed out by the honey-sucker, too, when I first read the article. It's nice that the woman breast feeds, but personally I'd be more likely to buy a pizza for a family with well-behaved kids.

z_squared82

« Reply #22332 on: July 19, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »
Oh yes, she took all the pears the same year intending to can them herself.  Rotten thief.  I was very glad when she was evicted when she did the same to her LANDLADY'S garden.   >:(

I'm only on page 288, but there are more than 1400! I can't wait that long to post my own special snowflake.

One of my uncle has rural property in the neighboring state. He is excited he might actually get apples from his apple tree this year. Turns out, it bear every other year, the his neighbor has been picking absolutely every one of them before they got ripe. To bait deer when he went out hunting.

Like Uncle said, "Well, his house fell off it's blocks*, so he's not living there anymore."

(*manufactured or mobile home, no foundation, up on cinder blocks)

perpetua

« Reply #22333 on: July 19, 2013, 04:40:01 PM »
Rula Lenska

she was also married to dennis waterman (uk actor) and if you've ever watched little britain the take the mickey, it's the sketch where he wants to "write the theme tune, sing the theme tune", as most things he's been in over here he did at least sing the theme tune!

Yes, I was going to say that: I think she's far more famous for being married to Dennis Waterman than anything she ever did off her own back. She was all over the TV in the 80s here, yet I can't name one single thing she was in.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22334 on: July 19, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »
Our courthouse lot isn't metered so they could leave it all day and have someone come get the vehicle for them.  We also have 2 flat rate 'DD' services in town.  Two people will come in one car, drive you home in your own car and you pay them $25.  In a lot of cases, it is cheaper than a taxi AND you don't have to go get your car the next day.  Sure, you might have to wait awhile but it's a great service.

File under: Things that wouldn't work in a city of over a million people.  :D

True. But we have taxi cabs.