Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5045164 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22335 on: July 19, 2013, 05:40:55 PM »
This SS couple at a restaurant had a fussy baby, one kid licking a honey container and another standing on a chair (3 and 4 years old, respectively). Apparently they were worried about the baby getting fussy + people judging the mom for breastfeeding, but not a peep from them about "oops, we should take away the honey container and insist the kids sit down."  ::)

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/breastfeeding-note-from-pizza-waitress-pays-it-forward-164047499.html

She says, "it was chaotic--I had one kid licking the honey container and the other standing."  I took that to mean that she had to grab the honey container away from one little kid and make the sit down.

If she didn't care that they were doing these things and just left them to it, then it wouldn't be chaotic.

I took it that it was chaotic precisely because she had to take the honey container away, and remember to give it to the waitress, and she had to make the other kid sit down, etc.

If the kids had been THAT badly behaved, I'm not sure the waitress would have been so wiling to buy one of their pizzas.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #22336 on: July 19, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »
Thanks Toots, that's how I read it too - that she was trying to keep them under control.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Jones

« Reply #22337 on: July 19, 2013, 06:00:32 PM »
Thanks Toots, that's how I read it too - that she was trying to keep them under control.

That is how I read it too. She hasn't taken the kids out to eat often, and was starting to get overwhelmed keeping their manners. Not that she ignored their manners. I know that when we go out to eat, my kids are interested in playing with the table stuff and occasionally stand up to look around. I just correct them and we continue dinner. When I correct both at the same time, yes it is more memorable and chaotic than the times they take turns at it.

Minmom3

« Reply #22338 on: July 20, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »
In my town, the police quite often do a blitz in the courthouse parking lot.  You would be amazed at the number of people who drive themselves to court, lose their license in the court proceedings and then climb into their cars to drive home!

You know though, I've always honestly thought that was a little unfair.  Not everyone has someone available to drive them to and from court and no doubt some of those people really didn't think their licenses would be revoked.  If they drove TO the courthouse appropriately licensed, I think they should be allowed to return home the same way they got there.

It almost seems like a mean trick.

They should have thought of that before they did whatever they did that got their license revoked.

Erhem?!  THAT presupposed that they can and will THINK...   8)
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Nikko-chan

« Reply #22339 on: July 20, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »

I am surprised that the museum didn't kick that mother out after she started following you. I would have reported her behavior for sure, that's all kinds of wrong.

As for parents demanding that others hand over their expensive equipment to entertain their children, this is something I worry about as a costumer/cosplayer.
Some of my props cost a lot of money (I've got lightsabers with soundboards that would cost over $300 to replace), and some have had a LOT of work put into building them. Now, I've been known to let calm, responsible people hold them if they ask politely. But I've also declined when I felt that the person asking was the sort who might be a problem. Either they might abuse it, try to run off, or do something stupid with it and get me into trouble along with them (It might be deemed my fault because the prop belonged to me, and the incident would not have happened if I had kept it in my own hand.)

At the moment I'm working on a lightsaber/katana style weapon. It's going to have a full soundboard with a ton of features. Seriously, I'll be able to easily cycle through nine different fully customized sound/blade effect/blade color settings just by pushing a button. I've also got illuminated switches and ostrich leg skin for the handle, it's going to be gorgeous. Now, there are some people who I would happily let hold it, mainly friends or other mature costumers or prop builders, or fans. People who understand how valuable these kinds of things are. But there's a ton of entitled parents out there who think that anything Star Wars or costume related must be for kids, or that all people in costume are the equivalent of paid mascots, whose job it is to be their personal floor show.
So for me, a grabby parent expecting me to hand over a one of a kind prop worth several hundred dollars so that their kid can "play" with it is a distinct possibility. I think I'd use the line somebody else here suggested- "Are you willing to give me a $1000 damage deposit in case anything happens? No? Well then, no touchy!"
Or perhaps "Look lady, this is a one-of-a-kind professional level prop. You want your kid to have a lightsaber? I hear WalMart sells them nice and cheap!"

I love how some people's response to this sort of BS is "Well, you shouldn't have your expensive prop/ipad/other belongings out in public, then! I had some twit say that to me once, when she ran over the hem of my cloak with her stroller (it had slipped off my shoulders a bit and the hem must have been trailing a bit. "Don't want it damaged, then You shouldn't have it out!"
(The evil side of me wonders how that twit would have reacted if somebody dumped ketchup on her white shirt? "Don't want your nice shirt ruined? Your fault for wearing it out!")
EX-cuse me!? Since when do us decent people have to refrain from using or wearing our own property, because some entitlement poisoned knuckledraggers can't entertain their own kids or otherwise mind their manners?

So you do Star Wars Cosplay then?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22340 on: July 20, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »

Like Uncle said, "Well, his house fell off it's blocks*, so he's not living there anymore."

(*manufactured or mobile home, no foundation, up on cinder blocks)

I thought at first that was a euphemism.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22341 on: July 20, 2013, 10:59:58 AM »
I had a similar thing happen with my Ipad mini at a museum...except the mom came up and told me that her kid wanted a "turn" and that since "Museums are for kids, I needed to give it to him" When I refused she tried to take it and then called me a few choice names and stormed off saying "We'll see about this!"
  The staff member she got to deal with it informed her that it was indeed my personal property, no they couldn't make me give it to the kid, and no the museum was not just for kids.  I thought the woman's head would spin when the staff member called me by name and told her that I was a long time volunteer.  The woman and her kid spent the rest of my visit following me and calling me a female dog and a child hater.

Absolutely mind-boggling!

The more I think about this, the worse it gets. 

If museums are for kids, shouldn't the parent be trying to pique  the child's interest in the exhibits instead of a stranger's device? 

When I was working we'd get phone calls all the time asking if our museum had, 'anything that would interest a child'.  Well, we didn't have a T Rex skeleton but we had totem poles, mummies, all sorts of neat stuff from Africa and plenty of big dramatic paintings. 

If adults view museums as only there to keep a child occupied, the visit will almost certainly be a failure for all concerned.  If parents take a little time to learn what the museum has to offer and do a bit of research, everybody will enjoy the visit much more. 

I was always amazed how some adults could get a toddler in a stroller interested in a gallery of 19th century French painting.  All it took was something as simple as, 'Let's look for a boat in these pictures'. 

Museums, historic sites and zoos all require some input on the part of the visitor.    The SS is the parent who expects that the place should do all the work.  This attitude doesn't send a good message
 to children. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22342 on: July 20, 2013, 11:34:37 AM »
At an opening at the Big Museum the children's Museum I worked for..

A group of older ladies walked into the ceramics exhibit and started picking things up. The docents told them to stop. The older ladies screamed at them that didn't they know all museums were hands on and they could touch anything they wanted.

The adults in the room were struck dumb. A group of elementary kids ran to the director and told him what was going on. The kids followed him back to the gallery. They suggested rather loudly that the big museum needed classes for the adults to learn to how to behave.

There was also an sculpture that was supposed to LOOK like a musical instrument - we were constantly stopping adults from playing it using things like car keys. Often while some poor child was telling them NO don't touch the art.

Another time at the Children's museum

A man took a piece off the WALL. His daughter told him NO you don't touch on the carpet. You touch on the hard floor (AKA the art studio). It took me several minutes to get him to believe me that his daughter was right. We started giving non-regulars the same speech we gave the school groups.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Garden Goblin

« Reply #22343 on: July 20, 2013, 12:37:52 PM »
That probably explains the panicked reactions of the staff member over in the impressionist section of the art museum.  I was looking at some Van Goghes and Monets and discussing it with my mother in law and I made a comment regarding how the brush strokes were done meant it was probably just as interesting to the tactile senses as it was to the visual senses.   I almost immediately had a staff member between me and the painting and had to speak quickly that I was making an observation, not stating an intention.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #22344 on: July 20, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »

I do Jedi, but lately I've been also doing original characters- some lightsabers do very well when repurposed as psionic blades, especially when they have fully customizable sound, so you can make them sound like anything.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #22345 on: July 20, 2013, 02:09:21 PM »

I do Jedi, but lately I've been also doing original characters- some lightsabers do very well when repurposed as psionic blades, especially when they have fully customizable sound, so you can make them sound like anything.

*squeals* That is so awesome!!!

BB-VA

« Reply #22346 on: July 20, 2013, 02:31:20 PM »
SS or not?  I know what I would have done if it was my child, but it wasn't my child.

Was at the Bullseye today and stopped for the usual popcorn and drink special on the way out.  There is a fountain drink machine and a 4-flavor Icee machine that has transparent rotating drums so you can see the color of the Icee, as well as written labels for each flavor..  Small child was at Icee machine who wanted mixed flavors and wants to mix her own.  She might have been too young to read, and definitely was too small to see the color of the mix.  She was almost too small to reach the handles, but she managed.  So she pulls each handle, allowing some of Icee (probably about a half-cup with each pull) to flow into the drain tray area.  She then proceeds to mix her drink.  Both parents were with her, and NEITHER made an effort to tell her the flavors, or what flavor was in each cylinder.  They just stood back and let her pull on the handles.  Before the child arrived, the drain area was clean.  After she mixed her Icee, it was a multi-colored mess.  I felt sorry for the cleanup crew. 

Should I have stopped them?  I admit I was a little shocked, but maybe I just have different values (I am not sure I COULD have stopped them, anyway).

I would have told the child what was in each, and let her do the mixing.  But that would have been me and my child.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

desireesgranny

• www.TickerFactory.com
« Reply #22347 on: July 20, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »
SS or not?  I know what I would have done if it was my child, but it wasn't my child.

Was at the Bullseye today and stopped for the usual popcorn and drink special on the way out.  There is a fountain drink machine and a 4-flavor Icee machine that has transparent rotating drums so you can see the color of the Icee, as well as written labels for each flavor..  Small child was at Icee machine who wanted mixed flavors and wants to mix her own.  She might have been too young to read, and definitely was too small to see the color of the mix.  She was almost too small to reach the handles, but she managed.  So she pulls each handle, allowing some of Icee (probably about a half-cup with each pull) to flow into the drain tray area.  She then proceeds to mix her drink.  Both parents were with her, and NEITHER made an effort to tell her the flavors, or what flavor was in each cylinder.  They just stood back and let her pull on the handles.  Before the child arrived, the drain area was clean.  After she mixed her Icee, it was a multi-colored mess.  I felt sorry for the cleanup crew. 

Should I have stopped them?  I admit I was a little shocked, but maybe I just have different values (I am not sure I COULD have stopped them, anyway).

I would have told the child what was in each, and let her do the mixing.  But that would have been me and my child.

Now I want to go there, just to get some popcorn. It tastes so good!

Waterlight

« Reply #22348 on: July 20, 2013, 09:17:38 PM »
I've been at my new job less than three weeks, and have already found a Special Snowflake there...

I gave a presentation on the company dress code this past Friday, since there have been some changes recently.  Most people took it well--including the prohibition on open-toed shoes for safety reasons.

One CW, however, complained that HER feet had Special Neeeeeeeeeeeeds and she would HAVE to wear "flip-flops"even though they were specifically not allowed.  (No sympathy from me--I also happen to have hard-to-fit feet, and the dress code allows for a wide range of shoes that aren't beach sandals and that someone with this CW's Special Neeeeeeeeeeeds could comfortably wear!)
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

snowdragon

« Reply #22349 on: July 20, 2013, 10:22:52 PM »
At KMart tonight.  An older woman rammed her cart into another shopper - hard enough to move the other woman's cart back into her body and says "Tall. Get me that." the woman who had been slammed into said "No." and walked away. The woman who needed something reached then went and complained to someone else that the other woman would not help her.  There were three clerks that she could have asked, had she bothered.