Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 4428189 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22440 on: July 23, 2013, 11:52:59 PM »
Sigh. I remember growing up when kids were shoved out the door in the morning to roam the neighbourhood until lunch, without our parents watching our every move.
Me too and I grew up first in the inner city and then in the suburbs.

Yeah, and now if you so much as let your kid walk a few blocks by himself you have CPS threaten to take the kid away.  And this when crime is way down and the risk of kidnapping or being hit by a car is far less than the risk of obesity by being locked in your house all day.

Pen^2

« Reply #22441 on: July 24, 2013, 03:52:08 AM »
<snip> Something about the way they design their stores puts my teeth on edge. I don't have panic attacks or anxiety issues - except when I set foot in their stores. Sis thought maybe they used peanut oil in their food prep areas and the smell was setting my radar off. But they don't . It is is the weirdest thing. I don't have the problem in any other brand of store - just theirs.

I've had something similar happen in three different stores and I think I finally solved the mystery...each store uses some type of high-end sonic alarm.  Every time I went in there, sometimes just in the door, I would start getting nervous, jittery, sweaty, nauseated, heart racing, short of breath...it was bizarre.

Interesting - I'll have to ask hubby if he knows anything about that.

I hear the horrible, intense, high-pitched eeeeee in a lot of places. DH can't, but I can, and it makes my head ring and I start sweating as my heart races from the strong irritation. I didn't know this happened to people who can't hear it. My local library is unfortunately a big culprit here: I have to sit far away from the entrance where the alarm thing is, or I can't concentrate enough to even read a paragraph.

I was at a nursery (garden place, not baby place) once and their bug deterrent was a gizmo that emitted a similar noise. I couldn't look at half the plants because the sound was too strong. I don't know if it worked on insects, but it certainly worked on me. I asked the lady at the counter and she was unaware that the sound was audible. "Although, now that you mention it, a lot of kids complain about the noise, but we always thought they were making it up..."

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #22442 on: July 24, 2013, 05:32:31 AM »
I'd say "newly decided" rather than "newly diagnosed," given her history  :P but it's good to know that about gluten hiding in otherwise-safe-looking dishes.  ((snip))

Oh boy, does it ever! Sausages, meat patties, processed deli foods, a LOT of frozen foods including chips (fries to those from the U.S.A., I gather) - they tend to get wheat added as an anti-caking agent, which is one reason why gluten-free frozen foods are usually stuck together in one solid lump in the bag - and a surprising number of canned foods and sauces that you wouldn't expect to have wheat anywhere near them.

I'm not gluten-intolerant, but I do have to keep wheat out of my diet at the moment, along with a whole shopping list worth of other items. You would not believe the number of things that have wheat in them (and the ones that don't have wheat usually have soy, and the ones that don't have wheat OR soy have corn, and the ones that don't have wheat OR soy OR corn have onion, and and and...).

I'm so, so glad that the latest results from my elimination diet and testing indicate that wheat and soy aren't among the things I'm going to have to avoid permanently, because of the insane number of things they're in. :-\
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #22443 on: July 24, 2013, 06:26:18 AM »
Neither Jane nor Sarah are SS, they just have incompatible parenting styles.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #22444 on: July 24, 2013, 06:35:45 AM »
Sigh. I remember growing up when kids were shoved out the door in the morning to roam the neighbourhood until lunch, without our parents watching our every move.

This was my mother's philosophy to the point that she never met either of my best friend's (friends since sixth grade) parents. She would pick me up or drop me offwithout coming in.  My father only met her father once- when we were college aged- and it was an accidental meeting and her mother never.

Stormtreader

« Reply #22445 on: July 24, 2013, 07:00:31 AM »
<snip> Something about the way they design their stores puts my teeth on edge. I don't have panic attacks or anxiety issues - except when I set foot in their stores. Sis thought maybe they used peanut oil in their food prep areas and the smell was setting my radar off. But they don't . It is is the weirdest thing. I don't have the problem in any other brand of store - just theirs.

I've had something similar happen in three different stores and I think I finally solved the mystery...each store uses some type of high-end sonic alarm.  Every time I went in there, sometimes just in the door, I would start getting nervous, jittery, sweaty, nauseated, heart racing, short of breath...it was bizarre.

I hear the horrible, intense, high-pitched eeeeee in a lot of places. DH can't, but I can, and it makes my head ring and I start sweating as my heart races from the strong irritation.

I get this too, one of the many reasons I love my noise-cancelling headphones especially when people at work thought it was "funny" to repeatedly set off that mosquito ringtone just to see who could hear it.

Pen^2

« Reply #22446 on: July 24, 2013, 07:57:05 AM »

I hear the horrible, intense, high-pitched eeeeee in a lot of places. DH can't, but I can, and it makes my head ring and I start sweating as my heart races from the strong irritation.

I get this too, one of the many reasons I love my noise-cancelling headphones especially when people at work thought it was "funny" to repeatedly set off that mosquito ringtone just to see who could hear it.

That reminds me, there's a series of ringtones marketed at teenagers which apparently adults can't hear which are basically made up of this painful noise. At the last school I worked at, the students were very unhappy to discover they couldn't covertly text each other in class using this. Although from the way they acted (they'd all go quiet and look guilty all of a sudden) it was pretty obvious. Teenagers aren't nearly as subtle as they like to think.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22447 on: July 24, 2013, 08:54:02 AM »
I can hear fluorescent lights when they start to go bad. It is terrible and has given me migraines before.

I agree that Sarah and Jane have incompatible parenting styles, but I would much rather grow up as Sarah's child.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22448 on: July 24, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »
The lack of respect some people in this neighborhood have for other people's property.  Our house is next to an alley that intersects another one that goes behind our house.  A few use these alleys to park behind their houses since not many have garages and there's street parking but nothing's assigned. 

We have a neighbor whose house backs up to the alley and they use the paved section behind their house to park their pickups.  The alley is wide enough so that he shouldn't have to roll his back tires over the flower beds where we have lavender and azalea bushes, but he does.   I need to find some sharp rocks to put there, though DH thinks we need railroad ties. Where would one even get old railroad ties?

Then one of our azalea bushes was dug up and found lying next to the hole it was in.  We didn't see who and maybe I shouldn't, but I do suspect it was the neighbors who back over them.  I have no idea what we did to offend these people other than plant bushes on our own property.  The wife is pleasant enough and I've chatted with her a bit when my youngest wanted to see her dog.  But the husband is a bacon-fed-knave of the first order and his oldest boy is following his unfortunate example.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22449 on: July 24, 2013, 09:28:25 AM »
Don't use railroad ties.  They are usually impregnated with a lot of chemicals to prevent them from rotting, which you don't really want getting into your plants, especially if any of them are edible.

Nice big rocks would be better, preferably big enough that they need equipment to put them in place.  Otherwise, the bacon-fed knave is liable to just move them.

Or pound in some rebar, then sharpen the tops to nice points?   >:D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22450 on: July 24, 2013, 09:37:48 AM »
Don't use railroad ties.  They are usually impregnated with a lot of chemicals to prevent them from rotting, which you don't really want getting into your plants, especially if any of them are edible.

Nice big rocks would be better, preferably big enough that they need equipment to put them in place.  Otherwise, the bacon-fed knave is liable to just move them.

Good to know, and I thought the railroad ties sounde like an odd idea anyway.  The plants aren't edible (well lavender can be put in tea so I guess that one is) but either way I don't want the plants taking in those chemicals. 

And well the thing is that this bed is not very wide anyway  (maybe 3ft at the most) so rocks that big wouldn't leave much room for the plants.

There is some ol' rusted rebar though that's currently part of a grill someone built in our backyard that DH and his dad have discussed taking apart... >:D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #22451 on: July 24, 2013, 10:14:39 AM »

Good to know, and I thought the railroad ties sounde like an odd idea anyway.  The plants aren't edible (well lavender can be put in tea so I guess that one is) but either way I don't want the plants taking in those chemicals. 

And well the thing is that this bed is not very wide anyway  (maybe 3ft at the most) so rocks that big wouldn't leave much room for the plants.

There is some ol' rusted rebar though that's currently part of a grill someone built in our backyard that DH and his dad have discussed taking apart... >:D
I've seen borders of half bricks, at an angle so they are a jagged line, and something like that wouldn't take up too much space. Perhaps there are some odd bricks laying around?

Redsoil

« Reply #22452 on: July 24, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »
I think Rebecca's idea is spot on.  Decorative and fairly easy to do.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #22453 on: July 24, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »

I hear the horrible, intense, high-pitched eeeeee in a lot of places. DH can't, but I can, and it makes my head ring and I start sweating as my heart races from the strong irritation. I didn't know this happened to people who can't hear it. My local library is unfortunately a big culprit here: I have to sit far away from the entrance where the alarm thing is, or I can't concentrate enough to even read a paragraph.

I was at a nursery (garden place, not baby place) once and their bug deterrent was a gizmo that emitted a similar noise. I couldn't look at half the plants because the sound was too strong. I don't know if it worked on insects, but it certainly worked on me. I asked the lady at the counter and she was unaware that the sound was audible. "Although, now that you mention it, a lot of kids complain about the noise, but we always thought they were making it up..."

It's an anti-loitering device and companies put them up DELIBERATELY.   I read about it awhile ago.   There's even a website for it.
http://movingsoundtech.com/
So this is what we've come to. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #22454 on: July 24, 2013, 10:44:18 AM »

It's an anti-loitering device and companies put them up DELIBERATELY.   I read about it awhile ago.   There's even a website for it.
http://movingsoundtech.com/
So this is what we've come to. 

More specifically, it's an anti-YOUTH device. As people age, we lose our ability to hear high-pitched sounds. So these devices are designed to be audible only to the young.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).