Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5066216 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22455 on: July 24, 2013, 10:56:49 AM »

It's an anti-loitering device and companies put them up DELIBERATELY.   I read about it awhile ago.   There's even a website for it.
http://movingsoundtech.com/
So this is what we've come to. 

More specifically, it's an anti-YOUTH device. As people age, we lose our ability to hear high-pitched sounds. So these devices are designed to be audible only to the young.
These, I have a problem with. The way that the shopping center near us handles things? Not so much. (They play 30s/40s swing/big band music all day, interspersed with what could only be described as 'lounge singers of the 1970s'. Almost no one loiters, except for those three kids that love swing dancing, and no one minds them entertaining us).

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22456 on: July 24, 2013, 10:59:11 AM »

It's an anti-loitering device and companies put them up DELIBERATELY.   I read about it awhile ago.   There's even a website for it.

More specifically, it's an anti-YOUTH device. As people age, we lose our ability to hear high-pitched sounds. So these devices are designed to be audible only to the young.
An device designed to cause people pain should be illegal.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Coralreef

« Reply #22457 on: July 24, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »

I can hear the ultrasound of the anti-mouse gadgets you plug into a wall.  Those anti-loitering devices would drive me insane. And I'm nowhere near being a teen.

[/right

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22458 on: July 24, 2013, 11:10:40 AM »
I can hear the anti-rodent devices, too.  I've never noticed the anti-loitering devices around here, though.  But then, I don't go to the mall a lot, nor to other places where a lot of teenagers would tend to hang out.

One of the convenience stores in my area was having an issue with teens loitering.  They started playing new Country.  Wouldn't have worked for me but it seems to work for most of the kids and it doesn't alienate the older customers.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

snowdragon

« Reply #22459 on: July 24, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »
     My aunt. I took her and her very fat cat to the vet this morning - which meant I had to get up 4 hours earlier than normal, drive to her house, carry the 25 lb cat out to the car ( and because it's so blasted fat you can't use the handle. and have to carry it by your hands - which hurts your fingers, but "is better for the cat".  She started yelling at me for picking the cat up the "wrong way" so I could get a grip on it. I put the cat in the car and off we went. We got to the vet and she got mad at me for going to the bathroom, rather than coming in the room to watch the cat get treated.
    Then when she was done, and I got the cat in the car aunt gets in and TELLS me, not asks, but demands that we go out to breakfast. When I tell her I have plans for the rest of my day she screams at me WHAT KIND OF NIECE ARE YOU?  when I told her I am the type of niece that will get up and do this for her...she then lectures me about I don't have the right to get mad at her, and that I need to treat her with more respect.

No good deed goes unpunished, right?  Never again.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #22460 on: July 24, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
     My aunt. I took her and her very fat cat to the vet this morning - which meant I had to get up 4 hours earlier than normal, drive to her house, carry the 25 lb cat out to the car ( and because it's so blasted fat you can't use the handle. and have to carry it by your hands - which hurts your fingers, but "is better for the cat".  She started yelling at me for picking the cat up the "wrong way" so I could get a grip on it. I put the cat in the car and off we went. We got to the vet and she got mad at me for going to the bathroom, rather than coming in the room to watch the cat get treated.
    Then when she was done, and I got the cat in the car aunt gets in and TELLS me, not asks, but demands that we go out to breakfast. When I tell her I have plans for the rest of my day she screams at me WHAT KIND OF NIECE ARE YOU?  when I told her I am the type of niece that will get up and do this for her...she then lectures me about I don't have the right to get mad at her, and that I need to treat her with more respect.

Wow. Sorry she treated you so shabbily. Did she ever say 'thank you'?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #22461 on: July 24, 2013, 12:00:17 PM »

"Respect's a two-way street, Auntie."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22462 on: July 24, 2013, 12:00:58 PM »

I was wondering the same thing.

snowdragon

« Reply #22463 on: July 24, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »

I was wondering the same thing.

no, nor did she give me gas money for the trip.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #22464 on: July 24, 2013, 12:13:34 PM »
I can hear the anti-rodent devices, too.  I've never noticed the anti-loitering devices around here, though.  But then, I don't go to the mall a lot, nor to other places where a lot of teenagers would tend to hang out.

One of the convenience stores in my area was having an issue with teens loitering.  They started playing new Country.  Wouldn't have worked for me but it seems to work for most of the kids and it doesn't alienate the older customers.

Talk about "intelligent design" - using music instead of NOISE to let your chosen customer base enjoy it and send a demographic unlikely to enjoy it (or spend much money while they loiter) looking for a "better" place to hang out!

I love the classic rock & roll from the fifties to the seventies - we'll define that as pre-disco - although I like a lot of disco, too.  I just get pickier about disco.....it's getting harder & harder to find true classic rock & roll stations - they've started lumping anything from the 80s & 90s in their mix, too.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22465 on: July 24, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »
Trying to decide if my friend Sarah is an SS.

Background:  Sarah lives on a five-acre farm.  She bought a sheepdog, not because she has sheep, but to help watch her two young sons (ten and eight).   Spot is an excellent sheepdog and is very good at shepherding the boys away from potential danger, such as the creek that runs through their property.    Another mother, Jane, recently brought her sons over to play and left for a while.   When she returned, she asked where the kids were.   Sarah said "Not sure, but I hear Spot barking, so they're not far."   Jane, appalled, said "YOU'RE not watching them?"   "No - Spot is.  She's very good at it.   The kids will be fine."    They WERE fine, but Jane gave Sarah heck and left, vowing never to let her kids play there again.    Sarah was alternately amused and indignant, saying that Jane was being ridiculous.

Thing is:   I'm kind of on Jane's side.   I'm sure Spot is amazing, but I wouldn't have been too happy if MY kids were roaming around a five-acre farm without an adult close by.   What do you think?

8 and 10 year olds with no developmental delays on my own property? Wouldn't even OCCUR to me to watch them. I wouldn't even bother with the dog, although it's a great compromise and a cute story.

This. My grandparents home was on a 10 acre farm and we were wandering around it without adult supervision by age 5. By 8 we were helping out at the big farm (250 acres) without supervision.

Pen^2

« Reply #22466 on: July 24, 2013, 01:04:09 PM »

I can hear the ultrasound of the anti-mouse gadgets you plug into a wall.  Those anti-loitering devices would drive me insane. And I'm nowhere near being a teen.

I find it abhorrent that someone, somewhere, had the audacity to think it was acceptable to target pain at a specific subsection of the population--a subsection which has no voting voice and cannot easily protest--and that everyone else just went along with it. If you did this towards any other group (males, females, the elderly, the middle-aged, whatever race, etc.) other people would become very upset. Even criminals in gaol have rights against having pain inflicted upon them unnecessarily. And using pain to stop kids walking into your shop is not the only way to do it; hence it is not necessary. Imagine using pain to keep people from going into the wrong changerooms! Yet using pain to stop children going to ordinary shops is very similar. But because it mostly affects the young? Easy to ignore those little rotters.

</rant>

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22467 on: July 24, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »
^^^  I also wonder if it is painful for the babies and toddlers of adult patrons who have their children with them.  Looking back, I remember an incident where one of our grandchildren got incredibly fussy (a normally quiet baby) whenever we entered one particular store.  Every time.  Now I may know the reason!   >:(

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22468 on: July 24, 2013, 01:28:59 PM »
^^^  I also wonder if it is painful for the babies and toddlers of adult patrons who have their children with them.  Looking back, I remember an incident where one of our grandchildren got incredibly fussy (a normally quiet baby) whenever we entered one particular store.  Every time.  Now I may know the reason!   >:(
I started thinking about this - Loren and Bett have no trouble going into the store I was talking about. So I think it must be something else. But like I said before a device designed to hurt people should be illegal to use.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #22469 on: July 24, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »
Apparently this happened at Mom's church recently:

Woman (walks in with tennis racket + water bottle): Is there a preacher here ?
Pastor: Yes, I'm the pastor. What can I do for you ?
Woman: I need you to bless the tennis game I'm playing in today.
Pastor: I'm sorry, I'm afraid that isn't something we do here. The service is starting in a few minutes, though. Would you like to sit in for it ?
Woman: No, I don't have time for things like that! Can't you just do it anyway ? This is a really important game!
Pastor: I'm sorry, I can't.
Woman: Fine, I'll just keep driving around until I find a place that will do it! *stomps off*

Keep in mind this church is out in the boonies. Any tennis courts are a couple miles away, unless you climb over a fence into the local high school's tennis court. I think there's also one tennis court in the nearest park, but it's not high quality as far I know.

"Make sure this child knows nothing but love.  Amen"