Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5553841 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22485 on: July 25, 2013, 09:15:53 AM »
Wow - 1500 pages of special snowflakes.  The entire "Lord of the Rings" trilogy is only somewhere around 1200 . . . we're well on our way to "Wheel of Time" length . . .

Firecat

« Reply #22486 on: July 25, 2013, 09:54:44 AM »
Wow - 1500 pages of special snowflakes.  The entire "Lord of the Rings" trilogy is only somewhere around 1200 . . . we're well on our way to "Wheel of Time" length . . .

But with characters I care about way more and an endless supply of plot twists! (I got 150 pages into the first "Wheel of Time" book and decided "nothing has happened and I don't care about any of these people - I'm done").

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22487 on: July 25, 2013, 09:59:24 AM »
Sigh. I remember growing up when kids were shoved out the door in the morning to roam the neighbourhood until lunch, without our parents watching our every move.
Me too, Twik.  We were even allowed to play in the woods.  6-year-olds had to stay in sight of the houses, but older kids had a block roughly one mile by two miles square; the only restriction was that we couldn't cross any of the roads that bounded that square. Call it 1200 acres, more or less.  That made it easily searchable if we got lost or hurt and couldn't get home; crossing one of the roads would have put us into state forest lands, where we could have REALLY gotten lost.

When I was around 8, I even camped out in the woods overnight, All By Myself!  Started a fire and cooked meals, too.   The house I grew up in had a patch of woods next to it, just big enough for a little girl to camp out without being too far away.
One of my fondest memories is my father walking through the woods in the early morning, dressed in his suit for work, coming to help me start my morning fire before he left.  *smile*

That is a great story!  What a great memory to have.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

snowdragon

« Reply #22488 on: July 25, 2013, 10:30:21 AM »

The Middle Earth Saga spans something like 24 books. Not sure of the page count, though. I that whatever it is - we eventually beat it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22489 on: July 25, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
We are having major issues with the neighbors directly across from us. They like to party. Which is fine. But they want to party with lots of people that don't all fit in their 2 bedroom apartment. They had 8 additional cars and one motorcycle come over. We have no parking other than two spaces in front of each garage, so I am not sure where they planned on putting all the cars. When they party, there is a lot of screaming and cursing along with car alarms and vehicles pealing out. In addition, the aftermath of all these parties is garbage scattered everywhere. I found balloons on our porch this morning. This party began at 10PM and didn't end until 12:15AM.

The property management has been informed. Again.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22490 on: July 25, 2013, 11:14:04 AM »
This party began at 10PM and didn't end until 12:15AM.

That's only a 4-hour party. Of course, the START time was out of line, since their parties are loud.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22491 on: July 25, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »
When I called the office, they asked if I called the security company that is contracted for our complex. I told them yes, but if it happens again tonight, I am calling the police.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #22492 on: July 25, 2013, 11:47:16 AM »

That's only a 4-hour party. Of course, the START time was out of line, since their parties are loud.

2 hours and 15 minutes. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22493 on: July 25, 2013, 12:49:54 PM »

2 hours and 15 minutes.

ye gods, where's my math?

But that's a very short party (shorter even than I'd thought), so you can't really complain about the length. Too bad it was so darned loud, and started after what most cities name as "quiet hours"!

Iris

« Reply #22494 on: July 25, 2013, 06:05:51 PM »
This morning I'm feeling like my ordinarily wonderful neighbours are SS. They have a friend's dog in their yard and it has been crying non stop since it got there. Thankfully it feel asleep from exhaustion last night or I'd have had no sleep. It's started up again this morning, though. Now the neighbourhood dogs are joining the chorus.

They are such good neighbours though, that I would forgive them without hesitation if not for the fact that THEY went away and didn't have to suffer with the rest of us :(
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22495 on: July 25, 2013, 06:08:09 PM »
Poor pooch!

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #22496 on: July 25, 2013, 08:10:12 PM »

Oh, I think to be fair you'd have to subtract a few hundred pages for tangents and threadjack posts...like this one.  ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22497 on: July 25, 2013, 08:53:27 PM »

Oh, I think to be fair you'd have to subtract a few hundred pages for tangents and threadjack posts...like this one.  ;D
Considering the tangents and grandiose descriptions Tolkien wrote, I don't think we do.  ;)
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Iris

« Reply #22498 on: July 26, 2013, 03:02:17 AM »
Poor pooch!

At first we were really worried because their own dog rarely makes a sound and we thought he must have hurt himself. Then we actually went over to check and saw the extra dog so realised what it was. THEN we spent a few hours saying "Oh, poor puppy, he must feel so lonely  :(" But now, twenty four hours later, it's hard to think anything other than "Can you please just BE QUIET for five minutes!!!!"

If our own dog didn't have territorial tendencies we would seriously consider leaving a note on the door and bringing the dog over here.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #22499 on: July 26, 2013, 07:18:24 AM »
<snip> Something about the way they design their stores puts my teeth on edge. I don't have panic attacks or anxiety issues - except when I set foot in their stores. Sis thought maybe they used peanut oil in their food prep areas and the smell was setting my radar off. But they don't . It is is the weirdest thing. I don't have the problem in any other brand of store - just theirs.

I've had something similar happen in three different stores and I think I finally solved the mystery...each store uses some type of high-end sonic alarm.  Every time I went in there, sometimes just in the door, I would start getting nervous, jittery, sweaty, nauseated, heart racing, short of breath...it was bizarre.

Interesting - I'll have to ask hubby if he knows anything about that.

I hear the horrible, intense, high-pitched eeeeee in a lot of places. DH can't, but I can, and it makes my head ring and I start sweating as my heart races from the strong irritation. I didn't know this happened to people who can't hear it. My local library is unfortunately a big culprit here: I have to sit far away from the entrance where the alarm thing is, or I can't concentrate enough to even read a paragraph.

I was at a nursery (garden place, not baby place) once and their bug deterrent was a gizmo that emitted a similar noise. I couldn't look at half the plants because the sound was too strong. I don't know if it worked on insects, but it certainly worked on me. I asked the lady at the counter and she was unaware that the sound was audible. "Although, now that you mention it, a lot of kids complain about the noise, but we always thought they were making it up..."

Some of them I can hear clearly, some just make the little hairs in my ears buzz or I can just hear the edge of them.  The ones set up in parking lots to deter birds I can hear quite clearly (I also think it's funny when they are set up in fake owls or other birds of prey).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 07:26:20 AM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah