News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• June 30, 2015, 03:08:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6537020 times)

Clockwork Banana

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22500 on: July 27, 2013, 02:26:51 PM »
Here is a snowflake that maybe got the wind taken out of her sails.  This occured last night.  I was in need of something at the grocery store which was closing in about ten minutes from when I arrived.  I got my items, got in line, to discover that there was the person being cashed out, a barrier, two or three items, and then me.  I was kind of being in my own world, so I was not too concerned - I was just happy that I had made it to the store in time.

Anyway, the first person finished and went on thier way, and it looked like the cashier was about to remove the second set of goods when the shopper came screaming up with another item.  She actually turned to me and apologized.  I made her mouth/jaw drop. All I simply said was that it's ok, the world was not going to end if I had to wait a minute or two.  The cashier looked kind of gobsmacked as well.  The customer said something along the lines of "Oh, I am glad you said that".  Yeah, whatever.

But what makes me suspect that this customer was a snowflake in the first degree, was that after she left, the cashier mentioned that this was the third time she had been in in the space of an hour, demonstrating the same behavior (load items on belt, wander off to retreive something else...) She did not seem out of it or under any influence.

Now of course, if I had been on my game, and in my usual hurry, I would have had no problem moving my items up in front of possible Snowflakewoman.  This encounter might have had much different results.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22501 on: July 27, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »
Y'know, some people really need a list when shopping....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22502 on: July 27, 2013, 04:07:25 PM »
My aunt used to do this on purpose.  She'd get a few things and then stand behind someone with a bunch of stuff.  Once she got to the belt, she would unload everything and then go off and do the rest of her shopping leaving one of the kids behind to keep her place.  She's dead now, so it doesn't happen anymore, but it got to the point where no one wanted to let her babysit their kids. 

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22503 on: July 27, 2013, 05:16:04 PM »
I was approached by a SS at work today. This woman brought me a refrigerated spray can of whipped cream, minus the cap. She was very concerned because "I found this in the trash. Someone threw this out  :-[ I can't believe someone would do that. It must've been by mistake." Our store's trash cans are deep and have heavy lids; so she must've taken a lid off and dug through lots of garbage  :o My co-workers and I had to butter her up to get the spray can away from her, because it seemed very obvious she wanted us to produce a cap and let her put it back in the refrigerator case. "Oh, I'm sorry. We can't put it back out for sale. Health department rules, you know...The person who threw it out could've tampered with it. You wouldn't want someone to get sick from it, right ?....Thank you so much for understanding our policy. I'll throw that out for you." :P

Nikko-chan

« Reply #22504 on: July 27, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »
My aunt used to do this on purpose.  She'd get a few things and then stand behind someone with a bunch of stuff.  Once she got to the belt, she would unload everything and then go off and do the rest of her shopping leaving one of the kids behind to keep her place.  She's dead now, so it doesn't happen anymore, but it got to the point where no one wanted to let her babysit their kids.

Why on earth would she do that though? Like what was the point?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22505 on: July 27, 2013, 05:23:10 PM »

I'd assume so she could shop without her kids bugging her the whole time, but without having to actually arrange for childcare.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22506 on: July 27, 2013, 05:27:09 PM »
I was approached by a SS at work today. This woman brought me a refrigerated spray can of whipped cream, minus the cap. She was very concerned because "I found this in the trash. Someone threw this out  :-[ I can't believe someone would do that. It must've been by mistake." Our store's trash cans are deep and have heavy lids; so she must've taken a lid off and dug through lots of garbage  :o My co-workers and I had to butter her up to get the spray can away from her, because it seemed very obvious she wanted us to produce a cap and let her put it back in the refrigerator case. "Oh, I'm sorry. We can't put it back out for sale. Health department rules, you know...The person who threw it out could've tampered with it. You wouldn't want someone to get sick from it, right ?....Thank you so much for understanding our policy. I'll throw that out for you." :P

And what was the point of her even bringing it up? Unless I'm missing something?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22507 on: July 27, 2013, 06:42:17 PM »

So she wouldn't have to wait in line later possibly behind lots of other people. She was essentially saving her spot in line.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22508 on: July 27, 2013, 07:28:27 PM »

Amen!  When we were working I used to do most of the food shopping.  I always had a list and stuck to it.  From time to time, Mr. Thipu would come along to help carry heavy or bulky items home.  I also wanted him to see what was available.  Perhaps he'd prefer Y crackers to the X crackers we usually bought. The only problem was that, if he came along, I'd have to bring an extra $20 to cover the exotic cheeses and things he'd pick up.

Now, he does most of the grocery shopping and always writes a list before he goes.     

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22509 on: July 27, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »

I'd assume so she could shop without her kids bugging her the whole time, but without having to actually arrange for childcare.
Yes this and she thought this way it would save her time. In her mind, she was shopping faster because she didn't have to spend "all that time shopping and then waste my time standing in line"  The problem was that the kids would get up to the front of the line and have to wait for her to come back.  So she was holding up everyone else in line.

She was all sorts of special

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #22510 on: July 28, 2013, 04:20:01 AM »
In Arizona if you don't need a replacement driver's license for any reason you are required to get a replacement one after 12 years.

So I went to the DMV. There is a desk where you tell the clerks what you need and they give you the appropriate ticket and then you die a horrible slow death waiting.

There is one person in line-talking the the clerk. Then there is a woman five feet back yammering on her cell phone and about two feet over. Right next to a man leaning against the wall. So I politely said "excuse me ma'am are you in line?" She turned and said very loudly and sharply as if I were a mere servant "YES I am in line!" and glared at me.

Yeah no way to know,  lady.  Not from where you were standing.
Nothing to see here.

JadeAngel

« Reply #22511 on: July 28, 2013, 07:27:07 AM »
Went to a local hot springs recently, they have a series of pools of varying temperatures scattered up the hill, which looks over the surrounding countryside (the view from the topmost pool is spectacular, but I digress)

One of the pools is designated as the 'silent pool' meaning no talking, no cellphones, no personal music devices etc, it's a place for silent contemplation and relaxation... but apparently this was lost on the two women who waded into the pool and proceeded to have a very loud conversation from opposite sides of the pool completely oblivious to the looks of disgust coming at them from every side. Presently a staff member walked by, not sure whether they happened by or someone complained, but they approached the women and politely advised them that this was the silent pool, and if they wished to continue their conversation they would need to move to one of the (many) other available pools in the area.

Immediately these women were up in arms, no-one told them this was a silent pool (despite three signs placed at intervals around the pool and one stationed at the entrance clearly stating the rules of the silent pool) how was it reasonable that they had to move, they were just talking, they weren't hurting anyone (although I think a glance around the pool told them clearly they were irritating more than a few of us) In the end they waded out of the pool and collected their things making loud passive aggressive comments about how people were 'soo unreasonable' and 'rude' and 'intolerant' and fine they were leaving see if they cared, they ought to complain to management and so on and so forth until they were finally, blessedly, out of earshot.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22512 on: July 28, 2013, 07:57:46 AM »
Theme parks are rife with the SS's.  Though I don't know that some of them are oblivious or actual snowflakes.  One woman in the line for the lazy river was very slowly walking through one part of the line, looking for a place to cut in to get closer to the front, or looking for friends to join, but the end of the line was a good few feet ahead of her so we eventually just passed her, getting tired of her holding us up.

And then we couldn't even go on because someone (I'm hoping it's a small child with no control of such things) had an accident in the river and they had to clean it up. :P After that I didn't want to go back in. 

But there always seem to be people who want to cut in.  In some cases I don't really mind if people are joining family members in line, especially if say it's a young kid who decides they do want to ride after all and can't ride without an adult or might be nervous to ride alone. As long as they do it politely (ie "Do you mind?" or "Excuse me, could you let my kid in front of you so he can join us?") I don't paint them as SS's.  It's the people who act like you're not even there and cut in line. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Momiitz

« Reply #22513 on: July 28, 2013, 08:08:38 AM »
We had some special snowflakes show up at my sister in law's wedding. My SIL had rented a church close to a college in town for her wedding and reception. At the same time as the wedding, the college was having a big basketball game nearby. 

At the church driveway entrance there was a big sign that said "Private Property! No Game Parking! Owners will be towed at owners expense."  You can't miss it. FYI - the church always puts up this sign on game days wether they have rented out the church or not.

My father in law and the grooms father were keeping an eye on the parking lot and greeting guests as they arrived.  They saw two cars pull up and park that were not guests of the wedding, they were dressed to go to the game. My FIL walked up to them and told them they could not park there, that the parking lot was private property.  He told the SS's they would have to move there cars or they would be towed.  I cannot remember exactly what they said to my father in law but they were rude to him with their answer.  They ignored his advice and walked away to go to the game without moving their cars. 

So my FIL called the towing company and they towed both cars. If the SS's had parked in the college venues parking lot it would have cost them $10. To get their cars out of the tow lot probably cost $120-$150 each car.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22514 on: July 28, 2013, 08:49:13 AM »

So, she went digging through your trash to rescue discarded food items? And wanted you to return them to the shelves? Very odd.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."