Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5639738 times)

o_gal

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22500 on: July 26, 2013, 08:02:53 AM »
This morning I'm feeling like my ordinarily wonderful neighbours are SS. They have a friend's dog in their yard and it has been crying non stop since it got there. Thankfully it feel asleep from exhaustion last night or I'd have had no sleep. It's started up again this morning, though. Now the neighbourhood dogs are joining the chorus.

They are such good neighbours though, that I would forgive them without hesitation if not for the fact that THEY went away and didn't have to suffer with the rest of us :(

Wait - your neighbors have a dog, and they took in a friend's dog, and put them both in the backyard and LEFT? As in, not at home and not coming back for days? Do they have someone taking care of these dogs or did they just load up food and water and then left the dogs alone? If I had neighbors who did that, I'd be on the phone to animal control ASAP.

Cherry91

« Reply #22501 on: July 26, 2013, 08:08:58 AM »
(Long post, sorry!)

When I was still at school, we used to have Physical Education for 2 hours first thing on a Monday (which we all LOVED, I'm sure you can imagine). Our lockers weren't very big, so most people couldn't fit their PE kits into them and left them either on top of or below the lockers, out of the way. As it was a small school, and had security doors and gates, we thought there wouldn't be an issue.

After our other morning lessons, we come into the locker room to get our lunches, and people begin to notice their PE bags weren't where they left them earlier. I spot mine right on the other side of the room, and open it. My PE kit, which had only been washed the day before, and had been relatively unmarked after our indoor PE, is now CAKED in mud. It honestly looked like someone had dug up handfuls of mud and smeared them over the jogging bottoms. I was furious, and so were the other girls, whose kits had received similar treatment. We went to the head of our year, who quickly worked out that there had only been one other PE class between us leaving our kits and returning for lunch.

That class were dragged in, and quickly the innocent girls pointed out the ones who had entered without kits and upon being sent to find replacements (the school had a few spare kits, but they weren't very nice) had reappeared wearing surprisingly good kits. The PE teacher felt awful - she thought the group had tried to get out of the lesson by hiding their kits, and then gone to fetch them when it didn't work.

Our head of year made every one of the guilty girls confess to which kit she'd stolen. When the girl who took mine walked up to me, she could barely meet my eye. I took out my filthy kit and asked her if she let her own kit get that muddy, or if she'd thought that since it didn't belong to her, she didn't need to treat it with any respect.

The girls who'd stolen the kits were sent home with them that night and letters to their parents informing them of what the girls had done, and if the kit wasn't brought to school sparkling clean the next day, the girl would have a week's detention. My thief came back with a written apology from both her and her mother, addressed to me and mine.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22502 on: July 26, 2013, 08:21:14 AM »
Wow! The sheer nerve.

My DH was SS last night. He was playing a game on the desktop, in the corner of our living area, with headphones on and oblivious to everything else. It started raining outside, so I asked him if his windows were up because it was raining. He was annoyed, and replied that only the rear lift was open. I didn't pursue it further.

An hour later, he is off of his game, and then asked me if I knew it was raining. I confirmed that I did and that I had asked him if his truck was open because of it. He had left his front windows down to air it out.  ::)

Iris

« Reply #22503 on: July 27, 2013, 07:27:51 AM »
This morning I'm feeling like my ordinarily wonderful neighbours are SS. They have a friend's dog in their yard and it has been crying non stop since it got there. Thankfully it feel asleep from exhaustion last night or I'd have had no sleep. It's started up again this morning, though. Now the neighbourhood dogs are joining the chorus.

They are such good neighbours though, that I would forgive them without hesitation if not for the fact that THEY went away and didn't have to suffer with the rest of us :(

Wait - your neighbors have a dog, and they took in a friend's dog, and put them both in the backyard and LEFT? As in, not at home and not coming back for days? Do they have someone taking care of these dogs or did they just load up food and water and then left the dogs alone? If I had neighbors who did that, I'd be on the phone to animal control ASAP.

I'm sure they haven't done that, but they may have someone looking after them in a "stop by every day to walk and feed them" sort of way. Adequate (just) in the short term but not much fun for the neighbours. We weren't'the only ones checking either - the neighbours three doors up were over checking because it had kept them awake too! 

Things have quietened down now, though, so I think someone has picked up the dogs which will be better for them I'm sure.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Clockwork Banana

« Reply #22504 on: July 27, 2013, 03:26:51 PM »
Here is a snowflake that maybe got the wind taken out of her sails.  This occured last night.  I was in need of something at the grocery store which was closing in about ten minutes from when I arrived.  I got my items, got in line, to discover that there was the person being cashed out, a barrier, two or three items, and then me.  I was kind of being in my own world, so I was not too concerned - I was just happy that I had made it to the store in time.

Anyway, the first person finished and went on thier way, and it looked like the cashier was about to remove the second set of goods when the shopper came screaming up with another item.  She actually turned to me and apologized.  I made her mouth/jaw drop. All I simply said was that it's ok, the world was not going to end if I had to wait a minute or two.  The cashier looked kind of gobsmacked as well.  The customer said something along the lines of "Oh, I am glad you said that".  Yeah, whatever.

But what makes me suspect that this customer was a snowflake in the first degree, was that after she left, the cashier mentioned that this was the third time she had been in in the space of an hour, demonstrating the same behavior (load items on belt, wander off to retreive something else...) She did not seem out of it or under any influence.

Now of course, if I had been on my game, and in my usual hurry, I would have had no problem moving my items up in front of possible Snowflakewoman.  This encounter might have had much different results.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22505 on: July 27, 2013, 04:50:08 PM »
Y'know, some people really need a list when shopping....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22506 on: July 27, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »
My aunt used to do this on purpose.  She'd get a few things and then stand behind someone with a bunch of stuff.  Once she got to the belt, she would unload everything and then go off and do the rest of her shopping leaving one of the kids behind to keep her place.  She's dead now, so it doesn't happen anymore, but it got to the point where no one wanted to let her babysit their kids. 

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22507 on: July 27, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »
I was approached by a SS at work today. This woman brought me a refrigerated spray can of whipped cream, minus the cap. She was very concerned because "I found this in the trash. Someone threw this out  :-[ I can't believe someone would do that. It must've been by mistake." Our store's trash cans are deep and have heavy lids; so she must've taken a lid off and dug through lots of garbage  :o My co-workers and I had to butter her up to get the spray can away from her, because it seemed very obvious she wanted us to produce a cap and let her put it back in the refrigerator case. "Oh, I'm sorry. We can't put it back out for sale. Health department rules, you know...The person who threw it out could've tampered with it. You wouldn't want someone to get sick from it, right ?....Thank you so much for understanding our policy. I'll throw that out for you." :P

Nikko-chan

« Reply #22508 on: July 27, 2013, 06:16:17 PM »
My aunt used to do this on purpose.  She'd get a few things and then stand behind someone with a bunch of stuff.  Once she got to the belt, she would unload everything and then go off and do the rest of her shopping leaving one of the kids behind to keep her place.  She's dead now, so it doesn't happen anymore, but it got to the point where no one wanted to let her babysit their kids.

Why on earth would she do that though? Like what was the point?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22509 on: July 27, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »

I'd assume so she could shop without her kids bugging her the whole time, but without having to actually arrange for childcare.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22510 on: July 27, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »
I was approached by a SS at work today. This woman brought me a refrigerated spray can of whipped cream, minus the cap. She was very concerned because "I found this in the trash. Someone threw this out  :-[ I can't believe someone would do that. It must've been by mistake." Our store's trash cans are deep and have heavy lids; so she must've taken a lid off and dug through lots of garbage  :o My co-workers and I had to butter her up to get the spray can away from her, because it seemed very obvious she wanted us to produce a cap and let her put it back in the refrigerator case. "Oh, I'm sorry. We can't put it back out for sale. Health department rules, you know...The person who threw it out could've tampered with it. You wouldn't want someone to get sick from it, right ?....Thank you so much for understanding our policy. I'll throw that out for you." :P

And what was the point of her even bringing it up? Unless I'm missing something?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #22511 on: July 27, 2013, 07:42:17 PM »

So she wouldn't have to wait in line later possibly behind lots of other people. She was essentially saving her spot in line.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22512 on: July 27, 2013, 08:28:27 PM »

Amen!  When we were working I used to do most of the food shopping.  I always had a list and stuck to it.  From time to time, Mr. Thipu would come along to help carry heavy or bulky items home.  I also wanted him to see what was available.  Perhaps he'd prefer Y crackers to the X crackers we usually bought. The only problem was that, if he came along, I'd have to bring an extra $20 to cover the exotic cheeses and things he'd pick up.

Now, he does most of the grocery shopping and always writes a list before he goes.     

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22513 on: July 27, 2013, 08:33:07 PM »

I'd assume so she could shop without her kids bugging her the whole time, but without having to actually arrange for childcare.
Yes this and she thought this way it would save her time. In her mind, she was shopping faster because she didn't have to spend "all that time shopping and then waste my time standing in line"  The problem was that the kids would get up to the front of the line and have to wait for her to come back.  So she was holding up everyone else in line.

She was all sorts of special

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #22514 on: July 28, 2013, 05:20:01 AM »
In Arizona if you don't need a replacement driver's license for any reason you are required to get a replacement one after 12 years.

So I went to the DMV. There is a desk where you tell the clerks what you need and they give you the appropriate ticket and then you die a horrible slow death waiting.

There is one person in line-talking the the clerk. Then there is a woman five feet back yammering on her cell phone and about two feet over. Right next to a man leaning against the wall. So I politely said "excuse me ma'am are you in line?" She turned and said very loudly and sharply as if I were a mere servant "YES I am in line!" and glared at me.

Yeah no way to know,  lady.  Not from where you were standing.