News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 02, 2015, 03:40:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6646165 times)

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22530 on: July 29, 2013, 10:48:37 AM »
Saw one at a restaurant yesterday. There were 3 kids playing in the video game area at a local restaurant. This area has 1 video game and 2 claw machines. Not a lot to keep kids occupied for a long time so when they had been there for a while with no adult in view, the hostess went to check on them. Turns out that their parents dropped them off to wait there while they went to pick up people at the airport about 15 minutes away!  The hostess wanted to call CPS but unfortunately, they found that it was legal for the oldest kid to ‘babysit” his siblings outside of their home. The parents had the kids order a meal so they were not loitering.   The manager was NOT happy and asked for the hostess to call him when the parents show up to pay for the meals.

SiotehCat

« Reply #22531 on: July 29, 2013, 10:53:14 AM »
Saw one at a restaurant yesterday. There were 3 kids playing in the video game area at a local restaurant. This area has 1 video game and 2 claw machines. Not a lot to keep kids occupied for a long time so when they had been there for a while with no adult in view, the hostess went to check on them. Turns out that their parents dropped them off to wait there while they went to pick up people at the airport about 15 minutes away!  The hostess wanted to call CPS but unfortunately, they found that it was legal for the oldest kid to ‘babysit” his siblings outside of their home. The parents had the kids order a meal so they were not loitering.   The manager was NOT happy and asked for the hostess to call him when the parents show up to pay for the meals.

How old were these kids?

I'm unsure what makes these parents SS. Their oldest was old enough to babysit. The kids did order food. It dust sound like the kids were disturbing anyone, so what makes them different from any other customers?

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #22532 on: July 29, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »
How old were these kids?

I'm unsure what makes these parents SS. Their oldest was old enough to babysit. The kids did order food. It dust sound like the kids were disturbing anyone, so what makes them different from any other customers?

I am not sure of the ages but I think the oldest was maybe 12 or 13 and the youngest was a toddler. The parents are a SS in my book because they dropped off the kids and while the oldest may have been legally old enough to babysit, it was obvious that they expected the resturant to babysit the kids in reality.  They were little monsters and WERE disturbing everyone. The kids also kept running into the bar for more change which is illegal in my state.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #22533 on: July 29, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »

How old were these kids?

It sounds like the kids may have ordered meals - but they were going to have to wait until the parents got back to PAY for the meals.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #22534 on: July 29, 2013, 11:10:19 AM »
I saw this one in my MIL's Good Housekeeping magazine. 

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/family/etiquette/saving-seats-public-pool

Basically, someone went to her local pool, put her stuff on a chair, LEFT to run errands and was angry to find her "spot" gone when she got back 2 hours later.  There was a big blowup over the whole thing (her own admission).  And she wanted to know who was right in "The Case of The Pool Chair."

:o

Yarnspinner

« Reply #22535 on: July 29, 2013, 11:27:23 AM »
So, she went digging through your trash to rescue discarded food items? And wanted you to return them to the shelves? Very odd.

This apparently happens to libraries, too. I haven't seen it myself but I've read several accounts of libraries that have discarded or recycled books that clearly have no business remaining on the shelf, only to have irate patrons dig them out of the trash and demand they be returned to circulation. I'd imagine it's a combination of "Every book is sacred!" and "It's a waste of my tax dollars!", neither of which are actually true.

I wouldn't necessarily call the people who feel the need to 'rescue' discarded books SS.  They're just misguided. They think of weeding as the destruction of information.   A bit of public education can go a long way to changing attitudes.

Every book is not sacred.  The information it contains may be of value but the physical object can be a hazard.

Libraries must weed from time to time if the collections aren't going to get completely out of control.  Books that are infested with mold or bugs and would cost more to repair than they're worth need to go.  Books that have been vandalized or loved to death need to go.  A biology textbook from 1964 may have some historic interest but it shouldn't be in general circulation. Getting rid of these things actually saves taxpayer money because every book costs a library money to shelve and maintain.     

Most libraries I know are quite circumspect about disposing of deaccessioned material.  Items that aren't in absolutely ghastly condition are often offered for sale to patrons at very low prices.  The really bad stuff is sometimes shredded or hauled away, literally in the dead of night.   

As the person who does most of the weeding of our ancient fiction collection, I am both sympathetic to the patrons who are horrified we toss books and to the person who is doing the tossing.

I compromised with my superiors that I would definitely toss books that were on their last legs if they would allow me to keep (or replace) books that I felt we had no business tossing.  A lot of our books are like the ones in the far flung future scenes of the 1960 version of The Time Machine.  You look at them and they fall apart.

And this is why we are in the midst of getting in new copies of Jeeves, Henry James and why we still have all of Sarah Orne Jewett. 

So far.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22536 on: July 29, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »

Basically, someone went to her local pool, put her stuff on a chair, LEFT to run errands and was angry to find her "spot" gone when she got back 2 hours later.  There was a big blowup over the whole thing (her own admission).  And she wanted to know who was right in "The Case of The Pool Chair."

I have to echo this. TWO HOURS later? And she was so upset that she's writing an advice columnist?

I suspect she's the sort of person who would also promptly claim a good chair if its occupant got up to use the washroom. Because, really, all good chairs are belong to her.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Barney girl

« Reply #22537 on: July 29, 2013, 11:41:25 AM »
My mother was a teacher at my secondary school and also ran the school library. As I was a library prefect and have always loved books I used to give her a hand in the school holidays even when I'd left for university. Which was how I came to discover that one of the books she had disposed of, because it was hardly read, was by an author I loved. (Violet Needham)
A few years later I enquired in a local second hand book shop if they ever got her books in and was told they were highly collectable.
Years later I got into collecting some children's authors' books myself and I think I paid about £25 for a copy of that book. I think at the time Mum disposed of it the concept of collecting children's books was it in its infancy (no pun intended), so she'd have given it to me or sold it for a nominal figure if she'd known I'd wanted it as I wasn't wanting to collect as such, just loved the story.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #22538 on: July 29, 2013, 12:43:26 PM »
NINE!!! Are you sure it wasn't an animagus?
Whow  :o

Nine would beat the world record of 7 years 2 months.

MommyPenguin

• Super Hero!
    • My blog!
« Reply #22539 on: July 29, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »

I have to echo this. TWO HOURS later? And she was so upset that she's writing an advice columnist?

I suspect she's the sort of person who would also promptly claim a good chair if its occupant got up to use the washroom. Because, really, all good chairs are belong to her.

I wonder if it's a reverse letter.  Where the letter writer pretends to be honestly asking, but is really asking about behavior she finds reprehensible.  In other words, the letter writer is annoyed at people putting stuff on chairs and leaving and coming back two hours later, so she writes in pretending to be one of them so that the advice columnist will tell her off and she can feel better about having moved the person's stuff.
Emily is 8 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 6 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 4 years old!  8/10
Megan is 2 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 4 months old!  12/14

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22540 on: July 29, 2013, 02:30:52 PM »
Wulfie wrote:

"I am not sure of the ages but I think the oldest was maybe 12 or 13 and the youngest was a toddler. The parents are a SS in my book because they dropped off the kids and while the oldest may have been legally old enough to babysit, it was obvious that they expected the resturant to babysit the kids in reality.  They were little monsters and WERE disturbing everyone. The kids also kept running into the bar for more change which is illegal in my state."

Bad parenting (and rudeness) isn't necessarily SS behavior.  I agree that it was rude of the kids to disturb other diners and it was rude of the parents to leave them without supervision, but I don't see where there's evidence that the parents thought that they deserved to have the restaurant watch their kids.  Moreover, from the restaurant's perspective they were customers, since they had ordered food and were spending money on the games (as evidenced from the runs to the bar for more change).  If entering the bar for change was illegal, then it's on the restaurant to stop the kids from doing it at least once.  If their behavior was egregious enough to warrant ejecting them, then the manager could have done that as he would with any other unruly patron.

VorFemme wrote:

"It sounds like the kids may have ordered meals - but they were going to have to wait until the parents got back to PAY for the meals."

That's just the nature of the restaurant business.  Everyone pays at the end of the meal, so the kids don't become non-customers just because they themselves don't have the means to pay.

Virg

Hillia

« Reply #22541 on: July 29, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »
Wulfie wrote:

"I am not sure of the ages but I think the oldest was maybe 12 or 13 and the youngest was a toddler. The parents are a SS in my book because they dropped off the kids and while the oldest may have been legally old enough to babysit, it was obvious that they expected the resturant to babysit the kids in reality.  They were little monsters and WERE disturbing everyone. The kids also kept running into the bar for more change which is illegal in my state."

Bad parenting (and rudeness) isn't necessarily SS behavior.  I agree that it was rude of the kids to disturb other diners and it was rude of the parents to leave them without supervision, but I don't see where there's evidence that the parents thought that they deserved to have the restaurant watch their kids.  Moreover, from the restaurant's perspective they were customers, since they had ordered food and were spending money on the games (as evidenced from the runs to the bar for more change).  If entering the bar for change was illegal, then it's on the restaurant to stop the kids from doing it at least once.  If their behavior was egregious enough to warrant ejecting them, then the manager could have done that as he would with any other unruly patron.

VorFemme wrote:

"It sounds like the kids may have ordered meals - but they were going to have to wait until the parents got back to PAY for the meals."

That's just the nature of the restaurant business.  Everyone pays at the end of the meal, so the kids don't become non-customers just because they themselves don't have the means to pay.

Virg

The problem is that the restaurant didn't have an effective way to deal with the kid's bad behavior.  While technically the manager could have ejected them, realistically no one would throw 3 kids, no older than 12 and as young as 2-3, out on the streets with no adult supervision.  Their only realistic option would have been to call the police.  That's what makes the parents SS in my opinion; they knew the restaurant would have no option but to deal with the kids, no matter what happened, and basically abandoned them there.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22542 on: July 29, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
Hillia wrote:

"The problem is that the restaurant didn't have an effective way to deal with the kid's bad behavior.  While technically the manager could have ejected them, realistically no one would throw 3 kids, no older than 12 and as young as 2-3, out on the streets with no adult supervision.  Their only realistic option would have been to call the police."

My thought runs counter to that.  If the oldest child is "legal" to watch them, then the manager can indeed eject them from the restaurant because that's what the term means.  If he's uncomfortable doing that, then a call to the police is in order just as when there's an adult patron that he's uncomfortable ejecting for whatever reason.

"That's what makes the parents SS in my opinion; they knew the restaurant would have no option but to deal with the kids, no matter what happened, and basically abandoned them there."

I tend to think that the parents didn't think it out nearly far enough to come to the conclusion that the manager would be stuck with them.  My guess is that they figured that they could hand the kids some money and they'd play the games until they returned, and overestimated the kids' ability to behave.  As I said before, cluelessness doesn't make for SS behavior, even though it did make rudeness.

Virg

Yarnspinner

« Reply #22543 on: July 29, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »
Oy.  Just had Ms. If I Stare and Glower At You Long Enough You Will Change the Policy for Me.

We have a very hard and fast rule about photocopies...our machines, which are older than dirt, jam up if we try to make double sided copies (i.e.; one sheet with print on both sides).  It requires an override key to do, but even with the key, making a double sided copy usually ends in tears and recriminations.  Paper jams, the print isn't right, and so on.  Bottom line: we CANNOT do it.

And, p.s., even if we COULD, the patron will still be paying for two copies because they are paying for toner, not paper.

Enter the Snowflake. 

If she had been pleasant to me to start, I might have gone ahead, gotten an override key and shown her exactly what kind of copy she would get thanks to the magic of aging technology.

But she stormed over to me, thrust a paper at me and said "You have to do this for me.  I want two copies done, both sides!  Right now."

I explained, as politely as I could, that this was against our policy.  Before I could go further regards the jams and the toner smears, she said "For REAL???  What kind of policy is THAT!?"

She began to berate me, suggesting I was doing this because of some personal bias I must have against her (because, of course that must be it) and I explained that I had nothing to do with the policy besides doing what I was told. 

"I want to speak to your supervisor."

"He is on vacation today."  Which was true. 

She continued to glare at me.

"Are ALL the supervisors gone???"

I directed her to Stonecold's office where I have no doubt Stoney reversed the policy that SHE was instrumental in creating. 

Honest, I really get so tired of people suggesting I won't do something for them because of some personal bias because, sadly, they make their sad little dramas come true:  no one wants to help them because they know what's going to happen if they can't get their own way.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22544 on: July 29, 2013, 03:05:39 PM »

My partner told her sister Marie that if there was anything we could bring with us, just ask. Marie called the night before we left to ask us to bring enough breakfast food to feed 25 people each morning for the Saturday and Sunday. And some white sandals for her to wear in the ceremony.  So we got up earlier on the day we were driving to do the shopping.

It is incredible to me that you went along with this.