Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5521285 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22560 on: July 29, 2013, 09:05:10 PM »
According to my neighbour's visitor I'm the SS. I dare to polietly ask if her car could be moved so I could get my car out of my driveway. Said car was mostly on the neighbour's drive but the back of it was on mine, at the narrowest part where my mail box is. I could have tried to squeeze my car between her car and my mailbox but I wasn't willing to risk it, especially since it was dark. If there was enough space, it would have been by mere millimeters. She was commenting loudly to the neighbour's father than she shouldn't have to move since clearly my car would fit and I had intrupped their dinner to demand she move.

I think she's the SS for partially blocking my drive and illegally blocking the footpath.

I don't know if it's having worked around inmates for almost a year now (I highly suspect it is), but I've developed this way of speaking in a no-nonsense yet bored tone.  I would have explained in said tone, "It's either this minor inconvenience now or a major one when I called the cops.  You decide."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

snowdragon

« Reply #22561 on: July 29, 2013, 11:57:30 PM »
I took my mom to the urgent care place today as she had fallen and hurt her foot ( thankfully nothing more than a bruised bone in her foot) while I was waiting for her to come out from the examination there was a toddler wandering around unattended...as in I had no idea where his parent was. He was going from person to person trying to chat them up and touching everyone. One of the people waiting for treatment looked at him and said "Please don't touch me." and moved away. At this point the father appears from the next "room" ( they were separated by a floor to ceiling fish tank, so I have no doubt someone in their party could see the kid at all times) and says indignantly "He's just a baby and he's sick if he wants to talk to folks and get close, let him! You don't have to be rude to him!" 
   It may be that I am just a curmudgeon - but to me it seems that many people in an urgent care facility are sick too and the rude one was not the person who didn't want to be touched by a sick kid.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22562 on: July 30, 2013, 02:26:50 AM »
No good deed goes unpunished…This is what I get for listening to the after hours messages tonight

Things that DONT make you an SS:
ordering a $XXXX cake for a 1 year old bday party
specifying the hex value of the colors you want in the cake design
spending 3 hours in the shop and 15 email messages over the course of a week hammering out the design

Things that DO make you an SS:
Calling at 9pm 2 days after your party drunk and screaming that we ruined! your child's birthday because the cake is the wrong flavor and don't we know that pwecious HATES that flavor ( we have 3 emails confirming the flavor.  I should also mention that we were open this Sunday so she could have called or come in then)
Sending us a novella email accusing us getting the design wrong (we opened the box to show her the cake and she signed for it)
Threatening to call your credit card company and reverse the charges (we have her signature twice)

The owner of the bakery is going to be out of town for the next couple of days so I offered to come in early and open up the shop for her this week while she was gone.  Tuesday is going to be awesome…I can just feel it

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22563 on: July 30, 2013, 02:40:43 AM »
I took my mom to the urgent care place today as she had fallen and hurt her foot ( thankfully nothing more than a bruised bone in her foot) while I was waiting for her to come out from the examination there was a toddler wandering around unattended...as in I had no idea where his parent was. He was going from person to person trying to chat them up and touching everyone. One of the people waiting for treatment looked at him and said "Please don't touch me." and moved away. At this point the father appears from the next "room" ( they were separated by a floor to ceiling fish tank, so I have no doubt someone in their party could see the kid at all times) and says indignantly "He's just a baby and he's sick if he wants to talk to folks and get close, let him! You don't have to be rude to him!" 
   It may be that I am just a curmudgeon - but to me it seems that many people in an urgent care facility are sick too and the rude one was not the person who didn't want to be touched by a sick kid.

Stories like this make me glad that when I go to the ER they are slapping O2 monitors and Breathing masks on me practically while I'm filling out the paper work. I've only had to wait in the waiting room once out probably 20 some odd visits.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Cherry91

« Reply #22564 on: July 30, 2013, 04:14:34 AM »
No good deed goes unpunished…This is what I get for listening to the after hours messages tonight

spending 3 hours in the shop and 15 email messages over the course of a week hammering out the design

Calling at 9pm 2 days after your party drunk and screaming that we ruined! your child's birthday because the cake is the wrong flavor and don't we know that pwecious HATES that flavor ( we have 3 emails confirming the flavor.  I should also mention that we were open this Sunday so she could have called or come in then)
Sending us a novella email accusing us getting the design wrong (we opened the box to show her the cake and she signed for it)
Threatening to call your credit card company and reverse the charges (we have her signature twice)

The owner of the bakery is going to be out of town for the next couple of days so I offered to come in early and open up the shop for her this week while she was gone.  Tuesday is going to be awesome…I can just feel it

The kid is one. ONE. I can't remember a thing before my third birthday, and even then it's patchy at best. I truly cannot understand parents who have big parties and stress out massively for kids who won't even remember all the effort (and not in an ungrateful way,  in a sincerely no memory of the event way)

NyaChan

« Reply #22565 on: July 30, 2013, 07:07:35 AM »

The kid is one. ONE. I can't remember a thing before my third birthday, and even then it's patchy at best. I truly cannot understand parents who have big parties and stress out massively for kids who won't even remember all the effort (and not in an ungrateful way,  in a sincerely no memory of the event way)

At that age, the party is more for the parents, family, and friends.  People should spend whatever they feel comfortable spending on these things - but they should be civil while they do it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22566 on: July 30, 2013, 07:57:58 AM »
When my children had their first birthdays, I just made cupcakes for the family and took pictures of them diving in.  I have a spectacular photo of the youngest covered in chocolate frosting.   :) But it was just a box of $2 Betty Crocker mix, $2 frosting and me smearing it all on the cupcakes myself. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22567 on: July 30, 2013, 08:17:37 AM »
I don't remember much before my third birthday either.  I remember that only because there are pictures of it. 

There seem to be more and more stories about big blow-out parties for very small children.  The child is one, the bone of contention is a cake.  I shudder to think what will happen when the kid gets old enough to realize what's going on. 

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #22568 on: July 30, 2013, 08:21:18 AM »

Okay, I have to ask-where do you live? You run into an awful lot of horrible children and useless parents, and I want to avoid that area when we look into moving shortly! 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22569 on: July 30, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »

It is people like this father and the parents of the children left at the restaurant that make all of us parents look bad. Last time we were at an urgent care facility, DS had the flu, strain A, and had to wear a breathing mask to avoid infecting anyone else or getting sicker himself. I was in mama bear mode and would have asked the staff to step in had a toddler been wandering around approaching people.  :o

Cherry91

« Reply #22570 on: July 30, 2013, 11:02:22 AM »

At that age, the party is more for the parents, family, and friends.  People should spend whatever they feel comfortable spending on these things - but they should be civil while they do it.

I've encountered special snowflake mothers who declare that you've ruined Special Snowflake Jr's birthday, and they'll be heartbroken, traumatised even! And they'll be suing you, yes you, for the therapy that Jr will need to get over such an upset.

I exaggerate, but these mothers really do seem to think that their child will comprehend and remember either way. If you want to have a family gathering around the child, that's great, my parents did that when I was one and we got some great stories from it (my aunt bought me a soft parts dolly that I was apparently so enamoured with I tried to kiss it through the packaging - I'm pretty sure my mum has the video somewhere, she threatens to bring it out every few birthdays)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22571 on: July 30, 2013, 11:26:06 AM »

At least you won't be blindsided when Hurricane Snowflake tears into your shop.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

heartmug

« Reply #22572 on: July 30, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »
When my children had their first birthdays, I just made cupcakes for the family and took pictures of them diving in.  I have a spectacular photo of the youngest covered in chocolate frosting.   :) But it was just a box of $2 Betty Crocker mix, $2 frosting and me smearing it all on the cupcakes myself.

I just had to reassure a relative that her b-day party for her 1 year old dd was great!  She too made cupcakes, put a cute teddy bear candle on her dd's cupcake and then had a bunch of beach balls blown up for the kids (all toddlers) to smack around.  The party was over in less than 2 hours and she thought it wasn't enough.  Those kids had a blast and each took home a ball.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22573 on: July 30, 2013, 11:48:18 AM »
...    "He's just a baby and he's sick if he wants to talk to folks and get close, let him! You don't have to be rude to him!" 

Yeah, right.  If I'm sick enough to be in urgent care the LAST thing I would want is to be touched by an also sick toddler stranger, and I LOVE little kids!  And if the toddler is sick, why expose him to other people's bad germs so that he can become even sicker? 

Not only that, but not all people are comfortable around small children even in "good" times.  If the person who rejected the child was one of those people, also sick and really feeling miserable, it is very understandable why being touched by a sick child would not be a welcome thing.

The person who asked the child not to touch her was not rude.  The child was not rude because he simply didn't know any better.  The father?  Someone needs to talk to him!   >:(

Cherry91

« Reply #22574 on: July 30, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »

I just had to reassure a relative that her b-day party for her 1 year old dd was great!  She too made cupcakes, put a cute teddy bear candle on her dd's cupcake and then had a bunch of beach balls blown up for the kids (all toddlers) to smack around.  The party was over in less than 2 hours and she thought it wasn't enough.  Those kids had a blast and each took home a ball.

I'm 21 and that sounds like a blast to me! But then I'm easily amused...