Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5232810 times)

heartmug

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22575 on: July 30, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »
When my children had their first birthdays, I just made cupcakes for the family and took pictures of them diving in.  I have a spectacular photo of the youngest covered in chocolate frosting.   :) But it was just a box of $2 Betty Crocker mix, $2 frosting and me smearing it all on the cupcakes myself.

I just had to reassure a relative that her b-day party for her 1 year old dd was great!  She too made cupcakes, put a cute teddy bear candle on her dd's cupcake and then had a bunch of beach balls blown up for the kids (all toddlers) to smack around.  The party was over in less than 2 hours and she thought it wasn't enough.  Those kids had a blast and each took home a ball.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22576 on: July 30, 2013, 11:48:18 AM »
...    "He's just a baby and he's sick if he wants to talk to folks and get close, let him! You don't have to be rude to him!" 

Yeah, right.  If I'm sick enough to be in urgent care the LAST thing I would want is to be touched by an also sick toddler stranger, and I LOVE little kids!  And if the toddler is sick, why expose him to other people's bad germs so that he can become even sicker? 

Not only that, but not all people are comfortable around small children even in "good" times.  If the person who rejected the child was one of those people, also sick and really feeling miserable, it is very understandable why being touched by a sick child would not be a welcome thing.

The person who asked the child not to touch her was not rude.  The child was not rude because he simply didn't know any better.  The father?  Someone needs to talk to him!   >:(

Cherry91

« Reply #22577 on: July 30, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »
When my children had their first birthdays, I just made cupcakes for the family and took pictures of them diving in.  I have a spectacular photo of the youngest covered in chocolate frosting.   :) But it was just a box of $2 Betty Crocker mix, $2 frosting and me smearing it all on the cupcakes myself.

I just had to reassure a relative that her b-day party for her 1 year old dd was great!  She too made cupcakes, put a cute teddy bear candle on her dd's cupcake and then had a bunch of beach balls blown up for the kids (all toddlers) to smack around.  The party was over in less than 2 hours and she thought it wasn't enough.  Those kids had a blast and each took home a ball.

I'm 21 and that sounds like a blast to me! But then I'm easily amused...

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22578 on: July 30, 2013, 11:54:18 AM »

I'm 21 and that sounds like a blast to me! But then I'm easily amused...

LOL!  I was thinking exactly the same thing!  Wish I had been invited.   ;D

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22579 on: July 30, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »
No good deed goes unpunished…This is what I get for listening to the after hours messages tonight

Things that DONT make you an SS:
ordering a $XXXX cake for a 1 year old bday party

Clearly her doppleganger was reversing decisions behind her back, ala the Mirror Image episode of the Twilight Zone  >:D

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #22580 on: July 30, 2013, 12:16:07 PM »
My little male rat loved peanut butter too. It was only after we lost him (to old age! this isn't one of those heartbreaking "I lost a pet to something that i thought was safe" stories. I have one of those about why you don't give canaries extra bird vitamin liquid tho. But Zolf(aka Zoloft) the rat was a hefty nine years old when he left us and for all i know he might've been older than that. He was fully grown when we got him. He died sleeping in my bra, a fate a friend of mine mentioned to be "admirable") that I found out peanut butter can cause choking in rats and mice, and so had to be diluted.

Zolf never had trouble though. he lapped it up off any available surface.

Nine?! Seriously?! That is AWESOME, Kimblee! Most pet rats live to two, two and a half years old - I was very proud when several of mine made it past five. You were definitely looking after Zolf well! ;D

Yeah, he was a great rat. the last three years we SWORE he'd die tomorrow, then tomorrow would come and he'd be sitting in his nest, bony but cheerful and ready for his treats. We probably should've had him put down, but he never seemed to be in pain, he was just really thin. No tumors or anything.

He wasn't a domestic rat we don't think. We got him from a friend who found Zolf and his litter in a wall as fuzzies. But he never could remember WHEN he found them. (he wasn't called Smokey for nothing.) Zolf had two sisters who lived pretty amazing lengths for rats, but none quite as helfty as him.

Kimblee

• Super Hero!
    • My Blog
« Reply #22581 on: July 30, 2013, 12:17:10 PM »
NINE!!! Are you sure it wasn't an animagus?
Whow  :o

If he was the little(little in comparison to our sheepdog, he was pretty big) turd never let me see him as human.

Kimblee

• Super Hero!
    • My Blog
« Reply #22582 on: July 30, 2013, 12:25:54 PM »
NINE!!! Are you sure it wasn't an animagus?
Whow  :o

Nine would beat the world record of 7 years 2 months.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure he was at least nine. I got him when i was 11 and he died when I was 20.(I wouldn't usually know the ages of my small pets that well, but he's in the "first day of school" pic from when I was 11, and he died just before my aunt's funeral.)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22583 on: July 30, 2013, 01:05:42 PM »
Someone please give me an icepick, or a spoon, or some moonshine.  Something!

I called Cakeasaurus Rex today and was on the phone for almost an hour.  Our conversation went something like this:

CR: You ruined my my pwecious baby's birthday!
Me: Ma'am can you tell me exactly what happened to the cake
CR: It was WRONG
Me: Yes, but what was wrong
CR: It was lemon, I hate lemon cake
Me: Ma'am I'm looking at emails that have you confirming the flavor as lemon
CR: I DIDN'T SEND THAT!!!
Me: Ok  *awkward pause*  So the cake was the wrong flavor was there anything else
CR: *proceeds to read the entire bullet list of "issues" with the cake to me for the next 45 min
Me: *Must not kill through phone*

After she's done I tell her that if she wants her money back, then we need to see the cake.  Cue wailing and moaning about how she doesn't want to EVER step foot in our shop again after what we did to her.

She might come into the shop tomorrow.  God help me

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #22584 on: July 30, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »
I am not sure where Snowdragon is from but I would not be surprised to hear that it is in the Seattle area. I am amazed at the total lack of parenting that I see going on around here!  Little kids (3-5 years old) running around stores with nobody watching them and kids hitting strangers and parents not doing anything about it are just a couple of the things I have seen around here on a fairly normal basis!  I even have heard parents using the "don't want to stifle their creativity" line a few times when their kid was acting out and they were called on it by someone.

MyFamily

« Reply #22585 on: July 30, 2013, 01:36:01 PM »

I called Cakeasaurus Rex today and was on the phone for almost an hour.  Our conversation went something like this:

Me: Ok  *awkward pause*  So the cake was the wrong flavor was there anything else
CR: *proceeds to read the entire bullet list of "issues" with the cake to me for the next 45 min

After she's done I tell her that if she wants her money back, then we need to see the cake.  Cue wailing and moaning about how she doesn't want to EVER step foot in our shop again after what we did to her.

Just print out all her emails and have them ready so she can see that it says 'lemon' and that the color scheme is exactly as she asked, etc, etc, etc. And then go bake a yummy cake, decorate it with something that looks like her and then all of you who have had to deal with her should just attack that cake!

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #22586 on: July 30, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »

Have printouts of all the emails and copies of the receipts handy and ready to go.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #22587 on: July 30, 2013, 01:39:33 PM »
A little while later, I saw a guy on a trike riding along side his dog. The dog was on an extendable leash and when the dog wanted to chase people he would let the leash go to its fullest extent. The dog nipped at people and scared the tar out of a toddler - and the guy insisted that his mutt had the "right to be there -deal with him." the father of the scared toddler finally looked at him and said 'If that dog comes anywhere near my kids again, I *will* deal with both of you." and picked his kid up - took her bike and left this exchange was so loud and the area so quiet I could hear the entire exchange for about 1/4 mile or so....the guy with the dog, was left insisting his dog "has rights,too."
somehow, I think that dog is going to be in serious trouble one day with an owner who won't control it.
We rescued Honey Girl, a 2 y.o. 13# terrier-dachshund, two months ago.  We must walk on the shared path to get to the dog park.  Bicycles, skateboards, strollers, and pedestrians all share this path.  If a bike is coming at me, I'll make sure I am all the way to the right and have Honey Girl walk behind me instead of at my left heel.  Unless they use a bell, I can't hear a bike coming up behind me, so I might have Honey Girl on a loose lead and we are probably taking up more than half the path (no center line).  In just a few weeks, Honey Girl figured the "bike passing" routine and, since she can hear better than I can, she'll move ahead or behind me when she knows a bike is going to pass us from behind.  A much more useful trick than "shake hands."  She's such a smart girl.  8)

The path isn't always busy; Sometimes we can get from the parking lot to the bark park without being passed at all, so I don't want to keep her on a short lead if it isn't necessary.  OTOH, I don't want to be a path hog or be perceived as a SS. :-\
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22588 on: July 30, 2013, 01:44:22 PM »
I would probably get fired from your bakery, because it'd be tempting to tell Cakeasaurus "The cake was the wrong flavor ? So you ate the whole thing anyway ? And you think, what, someone hacked your email so they could see you eat your least favorite flavor ? Tell me, how many slices did you personally have ?" 

Hillia

« Reply #22589 on: July 30, 2013, 01:44:41 PM »

Have printouts of all the emails and copies of the receipts handy and ready to go.

Yup.  Time to say 'working as designed' (as our developers like to say when we complain about a new program).  She got exactly the cake she ordered.  No refund for you! 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools