Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5536657 times)

Jones

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22605 on: July 30, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »
Someone has to say it.

The cake is a lie.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22606 on: July 30, 2013, 08:26:27 PM »
So, how would you act in my case? We got a photo of the cake and there's paperwork at the bakery...but no cake itself as we ate part of it and the exception venue threw the rest out.

It depends. A lot of our cakes are done via contract, so we don't get money directly from the bride and groom.  Therefore processing a refund is difficult.  However, if you paid for the cake out of your own pocket, there is a bit more leeway.

We'd probably give you a free 8" cake of your choosing to pick up that week.  And then we'd give you a gift certificate/store credit for the remaining amount.  If that isn't ok, then we'll still give you a free cake and a refund as well.

In the two years I've been there both full time and part time, We've only had 2 instances where the wrong wedding cake was delivered.  Unfortunately both times were the owners fault due to her not identifying the cakes properly after icing them.  :-\

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22607 on: July 30, 2013, 09:09:38 PM »
I also have some other tricks up my sleeve  >:D   We'll see if she comes in. 

I hope it involves one person bringing out a small sample tray and saying sweetly "Would you like to try our lemon cake (which is the same one she ordered) ?" And when CR happily noms on it, someone pops out with "Great lemon cake, CR ? Great cake ? See if you can read this *writes 'Get the scrabble out' on dry-erase board* You're no longer welcome in this bakery, and just in case your ears are scrabbled Get.The.Scrabble.Out."(TM Entourage)  >:D

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22608 on: July 30, 2013, 09:18:27 PM »
I also have some other tricks up my sleeve  >:D   We'll see if she comes in. 

I hope it involves one person bringing out a small sample tray and saying sweetly "Would you like to try our lemon cake (which is the same one she ordered) ?" And when CR happily noms on it, someone pops out with "Great lemon cake, CR ? Great cake ? See if you can read this *writes 'Get the scrabble out' on dry-erase board* You're no longer welcome in this bakery, and just in case your ears are scrabbled Get.The.Scrabble.Out."(TM Entourage)  >:D

ahem...not quite...but just as devious

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #22609 on: July 30, 2013, 10:47:18 PM »
Jones-
snerk!
Yes, it had to be said.
well done.
:)

I lost the game.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

gmatoy

« Reply #22610 on: July 30, 2013, 11:52:13 PM »
When my children had their first birthdays, I just made cupcakes for the family and took pictures of them diving in.  I have a spectacular photo of the youngest covered in chocolate frosting.   :) But it was just a box of $2 Betty Crocker mix, $2 frosting and me smearing it all on the cupcakes myself.

I just had to reassure a relative that her b-day party for her 1 year old dd was great!  She too made cupcakes, put a cute teddy bear candle on her dd's cupcake and then had a bunch of beach balls blown up for the kids (all toddlers) to smack around.  The party was over in less than 2 hours and she thought it wasn't enough.  Those kids had a blast and each took home a ball.

When our children were young I did basically the same thing for each party. They decorated a plain white paper bag to hold their favors. We played "hot and Cold" with gum, so everybody got to take home packages of gum. I decorated a cake every year and gave out favors that had something to do with the party theme. Done.

Last year a 37+ year old (based on which child she went to school with) started telling me how much she loved our parties, because "I knew it would be fun and no unpleasant surprises." So, I think the parties with clowns, Disney princesses, etc. can be stressful for some children.

IrishGenes

« Reply #22611 on: July 30, 2013, 11:58:45 PM »
It's midnight, I am all snuggled in bed with my iPad and the cats, and all I can think about now is CAKE! ::) ;D

Oh, and lemon is one of my favorite flavors. 
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."  ~ The Talmud

Waterlight

« Reply #22612 on: July 31, 2013, 12:57:52 AM »
I had a HUGE slice of lemon cake for my last birthday, actually... with coconut frosting!  *happily noms on virtual lemon cake*

Work SS from a couple of days ago:  Job candidate sends in her resume.  She looks good, so we call her for an interview.  She's from out of state, so we offer to do a Skype interview--which we've done, quite successfully, before.  She doesn't have Skype, so she suggests an in-person interview... OK, none of this is SS, so far...

But THEN she insists on being PAID for the interview!  Um, not happening.  My employer is a mom-and-pop company, not a Fortune 500 company with the budget to pay interviewees' travel expenses.

*arranges a close encounter with a cross-cut shredder for the SS's resume*
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #22613 on: July 31, 2013, 06:00:46 AM »
When my children had their first birthdays, I just made cupcakes for the family and took pictures of them diving in.  I have a spectacular photo of the youngest covered in chocolate frosting.   :) But it was just a box of $2 Betty Crocker mix, $2 frosting and me smearing it all on the cupcakes myself.

I just had to reassure a relative that her b-day party for her 1 year old dd was great!  She too made cupcakes, put a cute teddy bear candle on her dd's cupcake and then had a bunch of beach balls blown up for the kids (all toddlers) to smack around.  The party was over in less than 2 hours and she thought it wasn't enough.  Those kids had a blast and each took home a ball.

When our children were young I did basically the same thing for each party. They decorated a plain white paper bag to hold their favors. We played "hot and Cold" with gum, so everybody got to take home packages of gum. I decorated a cake every year and gave out favors that had something to do with the party theme. Done.

Last year a 37+ year old (based on which child she went to school with) started telling me how much she loved our parties, because "I knew it would be fun and no unpleasant surprises." So, I think the parties with clowns, Disney princesses, etc. can be stressful for some children.

One of my daughter's favorite birthdays was at about 7 or 8 years old.  I baked a ton of cupcakes, set them on the table, then gave the kids a bunch of tubes of icing from the dollar store, sprinkles, etc.  They all had a ball decorating their own cupcakes.

And Piratelvr1121, the pictures of my daughter's first birthday are hilarious.  We put the cake in front of her, and she just stared at it, had no idea what to do.  So I swiped my finger through the frosting and gave her a taste.  She liked it, so she swiped her finger and offered it to me to have a taste.  And then she offered her finger of icing to everyone else. She didn't make much of a mess that year.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22614 on: July 31, 2013, 07:38:32 AM »
I've noticed in some places it seems like birthday parties are more of a competition in who can spend the most on the birthday party and provide the most fun.  For a while it seemed like everyone was having parties at the places with inflatable play structures. 

We've gotten such a poor turnout at my son's parties (last time 4 people rsvp'd and only one kid showed up) that I'm real close to just saying "Okay kids, we're just doing family parties."  When I got to the age of my oldest two (12.5 and nearly 11) I wasn't having big birthday parties anymore, just having a friend sleep over or just doing stuff with one close friend and we stopped calling it a party. 

Once, when my oldest turned 10, he had his best friend sleep over and we were making tie-dyed shirts on the porch when another kid, who had been horribly rude to the pirate boys, decided his invitation must have gotten lost and kept trying to join the party.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #22615 on: July 31, 2013, 07:40:51 AM »

I think it can be an unpleasant surprise for a child to be confronted with some ultra-fancy confection with an exotic ice cream flavour. The adult may love it but the child might prefer plain chocolate or vanilla.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #22616 on: July 31, 2013, 10:53:44 AM »
I love planning parties for the kids.  I think it's so fun to have a theme.  But I do it at home, and they generally aren't too complicated.  Just... if the theme is doggies, there's a doggie cake, a doggie pinata, pin-the-tail-on-the-doggie, etc.  No actual doggies (as the birthday child was afraid of them--no idea why she wanted doggies as her theme, don't ask me!).  Of course, one kid now wants a mystery party as her next birthday party.  She's making plans already.  Her birthday is in January.  It's now July.  :)

I agree that the customer probably just tries this all the time, hoping for a discount.  I would think that showing her that she'd requested lemon cake, agreed to it in writing, etc., would be enough.  But I like the idea of printing out emails and receipts ahead of time and keeping them on hand in case she shows up.

MissRose

« Reply #22617 on: July 31, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
My niece and nephew no longer have the parties at grandma's house with some family and a few friends showing up.  Now that they are older, its just a few people, no friends at grandparents' place, a simple cake, go out to eat, and they may have a friend or 2 sleep over a night closest to their birthday at their parents' place.   I never really had a real party for my birthday as a kid as I had to share my cake with my grandma who has a birthday a week after mine, and I never had alone for many years.

Jocelyn

« Reply #22618 on: July 31, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »
I had a HUGE slice of lemon cake for my last birthday, actually... with coconut frosting!  *happily noms on virtual lemon cake*

Work SS from a couple of days ago:  Job candidate sends in her resume.  She looks good, so we call her for an interview.  She's from out of state, so we offer to do a Skype interview--which we've done, quite successfully, before.  She doesn't have Skype, so she suggests an in-person interview... OK, none of this is SS, so far...

But THEN she insists on being PAID for the interview!  Um, not happening.  My employer is a mom-and-pop company, not a Fortune 500 company with the budget to pay interviewees' travel expenses.

*arranges a close encounter with a cross-cut shredder for the SS's resume*
I had a request for a Skype interview once...I don't do Skype, either. But I was scrambling to create an account and find someone who could teach me Skype, and borrow a webcam. I mean, why announce to your potential employer that you lack the ability to learn new skills?

Baby Snakes

« Reply #22619 on: July 31, 2013, 12:19:25 PM »
... I never really had a real party for my birthday as a kid as I had to share my cake with my grandma who has a birthday a week after mine, and I never had alone for many years.

My birthday parties ended when I was 24 because my daughter was born on my birthday!  So I feel your pain.
  :)