Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5522087 times)

heartmug

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22620 on: July 31, 2013, 12:20:44 PM »
I love planning parties for the kids.  I think it's so fun to have a theme.  But I do it at home, and they generally aren't too complicated.  Just... if the theme is doggies, there's a doggie cake, a doggie pinata, pin-the-tail-on-the-doggie, etc.  No actual doggies (as the birthday child was afraid of them--no idea why she wanted doggies as her theme, don't ask me!).  Of course, one kid now wants a mystery party as her next birthday party.  She's making plans already.  Her birthday is in January.  It's now July.  :)

My kids loved having piñatas at their parties.  That is always the thing they asked for.  One year money was super tight.  I took a card board box and thought "How can I make this into a piñata?"  My son, the animal lover, was thrilled with his "dog house" piñata.  For the non-creative, me, it was easy to do.  I cut out a picture of a dog from a magazine and glued it to the front of the dog house.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Jocelyn

« Reply #22621 on: July 31, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »
My sister gave her kids a choice- they could have a big party, but it would be their present from their parents. Alternately, they could get a big present from their parents, but there would only be a small family dinner with cake. She said that it cut the number of parties to one every 3 or 4 years, which she thought was quite do-able. And the parties were modest- for example, my niece, in junior high, had a dance on the family patio, which involved large quantities of snacks, and of course there was more running around in the yard playing games than actual dancing.  ::)

MyFamily

« Reply #22622 on: July 31, 2013, 12:34:24 PM »
... I never really had a real party for my birthday as a kid as I had to share my cake with my grandma who has a birthday a week after mine, and I never had alone for many years.

My birthday parties ended when I was 24 because my daughter was born on my birthday!  So I feel your pain.
  :)

After my 25th birthday (which involved friends and I meeting for dinner, all of us paying for our own meals), I never really did birthday parties for myself.  On my 32nd birthday, I also thought, like you that no more birhtday parties for me was pretty much a done thing because my middle child was born on my birthday.  On my 40th birthday, my dh, sisters and parents threw me a very nice surprise birthday party.  So, you may still get birthday parties in your future!

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Baby Snakes

« Reply #22623 on: July 31, 2013, 02:32:04 PM »
... I never really had a real party for my birthday as a kid as I had to share my cake with my grandma who has a birthday a week after mine, and I never had alone for many years.

My birthday parties ended when I was 24 because my daughter was born on my birthday!  So I feel your pain.
  :)

After my 25th birthday (which involved friends and I meeting for dinner, all of us paying for our own meals), I never really did birthday parties for myself.  On my 32nd birthday, I also thought, like you that no more birhtday parties for me was pretty much a done thing because my middle child was born on my birthday.  On my 40th birthday, my dh, sisters and parents threw me a very nice surprise birthday party.  So, you may still get birthday parties in your future!

My entire family surprised me on my 50th birthday at my favorite French restaurant.  It was the best birthday ever (aside from my daughter being born the same day).  My husband and I tried to go away that weekend but a hurricaine was coming so we had to stay put.  I was pretty bummed out but that surprise party turned my mood right around!

carol1412

« Reply #22624 on: July 31, 2013, 03:56:27 PM »
Rula Lenska
Rula Lenska (born Rosa Marie Lubienski, 30 September 1947) is an English actress. Best known for her work in the United Kingdom, she is remembered in the United States for a television advert that presented her as a celebrity, even though she was not widely known in the US at the time the advert was produced...in the late 1970s and early 1980s, Lenska became famous in the United States and Canada for her Alberto VO5 hair products commercials. The commercial began with a closeup of her stating, "I'm Rula Lenska." People assumed this was a product endorsement by a celebrity whose name the advertisers expected them to know—although, in North America, Lenska was virtually unknown prior to the VO5 ad campaign.

she was also married to dennis waterman (uk actor) and if you've ever watched little britain the take the mickey, it's the sketch where he wants to "write the theme tune, sing the theme tune", as most things he's been in over here he did at least sing the theme tune!

Yes, I was going to say that: I think she's far more famous for being married to Dennis Waterman than anything she ever did off her own back. She was all over the TV in the 80s here, yet I can't name one single thing she was in.

Which brings Dennis Waterman up as a SS himself - from a Telegraph article in 2012:
"Lenska, 64, divorced Waterman, also 64, in 1998 claiming he was a drunken wife-beater, an allegation he has always denied.
However, Waterman has now confessed that he slapped and punched the Polish-born actress on two occasions.
He said he felt “utterly ashamed” of his actions and that on one occasion he left her with a black eye after a drunken dispute.Despite the admission, the actor, famous for playing ex-boxer Terry McCann in the ITV drama Minder, insisted: “She certainly wasn’t a beaten wife, she was hit and that’s different."

blueyzca01

« Reply #22625 on: July 31, 2013, 04:01:11 PM »
He probably thought she should be grateful that it wasn't TWO black eyes.   ::)
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22626 on: July 31, 2013, 04:08:12 PM »
That was fun!  ;)

She brought back a tiny little piece of cake.  When I asked what happened to the rest of it, she claimed that they had to eat it because there was no other dessert.  *Cue  ::)  from us* Onto the inquisition discussion of her issues with the cake.
Issue #1: The cake was the wrong flavor (voice level 3)
We produced her emails as well as the actual order form.  She initially wanted an almond cake but after some dithering called and emailed us to change it to lemon.  This was reflected on both the order form and the 3 emails. 

Issue #2:  The design was wrong (voice level 6)
We produced the decorator from the back  >:D  Said decorator was the person who sat with her and the owner for nearly 3 flipping hours outlining the design and sketching it for her.  Oh and look! the designer has the color drawing you signed off on. And hey! we have the emails making it clear that we would not be able to match web colors but only colors provided by a paint swatch or piece of material.(which she didn't provide).  Also she saw and signed for the cake on Saturday with no issues.

Issue #3:  Everyone hated the cake and she was sooooo embarrassed and we ruined pwecious' birfday party (voice level 8-eleventy!!!!)

See that's funny because on Facebook you and your family were sharing pictures and telling every-
*cue yelling* " That wasn't my facebook!! you are horrible people taking my money! I'm going to call my bank and tell them to reverse the charges!!!! blah blah blah various threats, etc!"  *exit stage left front door*

It's too bad I didn't get the chance to show her the screen shots of her families various facebook profiles I found yesterday raving about the cake and telling everyone how great it was.  I also decided to make that cake the website homepage showcase cake for at least the next few weeks.  >:D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:18:48 PM by PastryGoddess »

heartmug

« Reply #22627 on: July 31, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
Yikes!  No amount of proof is going to make cake lady back down is it?
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #22628 on: July 31, 2013, 04:15:42 PM »
bwahahahaha!  :P
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22629 on: July 31, 2013, 04:17:20 PM »
Do you think she actually will try to get the charges reversed?  If you suspect she might, it's time for that call to the credit card company!

P.S.  Make hard copies of those screen shots!   ;D  The bank may want a few giggles too find them important in deciding whether or not to reverse those charges.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:19:32 PM by gramma dishes »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22630 on: July 31, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »
That woman reminds me of Amy from Amy's Baking Company. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #22631 on: July 31, 2013, 04:24:45 PM »
That woman reminds me of Amy from Amy's Baking Company. 

Amy's Baking Client?
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22632 on: July 31, 2013, 04:26:48 PM »
Do you think she actually will try to get the charges reversed?  If you suspect she might, it's time for that call to the credit card company!

P.S.  Make hard copies of those screen shots!   ;D  The bank may want a few giggles too find them important in deciding whether or not to reverse those charges.

I did print everything including the screenshots.   If there is a charge back, the bank will contact us and we have a certain amount of time to provide evidence. I've put everything into a file, so the owner can just attach it to the email disputing chargeback. 

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #22633 on: July 31, 2013, 04:38:27 PM »
My entire family surprised me on my 50th birthday at my favorite French restaurant.  It was the best birthday ever (aside from my daughter being born the same day).  My husband and I tried to go away that weekend but a hurricaine was coming so we had to stay put.  I was pretty bummed out but that surprise party turned my mood right around!
OK, I know I skim read these posts, but this one stopped me cold.  Am I reading this correctly, Baby Snakes? (love that name) Your daughter was born on the same day your family threw you a surprise 50th birthday party?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22634 on: July 31, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »
I think she meant she and her daughter share a birthday, not that her daughter was born the day they threw her the party for her 50th. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata