Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5079614 times)

z_squared82

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22665 on: August 02, 2013, 10:29:50 AM »
Iím only on page 486! I donít think Iíll ever catch upÖ

I live in a three-floor apartment building. You walk in between floors, as in, you walk into the ďlobbyĒ and you can go down half a flight of stairs to the bottom floor, up a half-flight of stairs to the middle floor, or up a flight and a half to the top floor.

My boyfriend and I are leaving my apartment (on the top floor, if it matters), when I realize Iíve forgotten something. While I go back upstairs, he hangs out by the front door, holding it for a couple who is moving out of the middle floor. Boyfriend tells me the story.

It is hot. They are carrying furniture. Their neighbor comes out, sees they are moving and asks them to carry something to her car for her. Asking once, not a special snowflake IMO.

They said no, they were hot and on a deadline. But she kept insisting. And insisting. While theyíre trying to wedge an over-stuffed leather couch out the door. Itís not far, she says. Sheís just a woman, she says.

Itís a half-flight of steps, they say. You can do it yourself.

Iím glad they didnít indulge the snowflake.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22666 on: August 02, 2013, 10:59:57 AM »

It is hot. They are carrying furniture. Their neighbor comes out, sees they are moving and asks them to carry something to her car for her. Asking once, not a special snowflake IMO.

I think that's really rude!

Maybe not quite "snowflake," but really rude.
They're busy, they're not a moving service.

EMuir

« Reply #22667 on: August 02, 2013, 11:00:41 AM »
Special Snowflake bride continues... they were married Saturday, which I posted about previously.  Yesterday after work we come in the back and look out front to see a camper van parked in our driveway. It's the bride and groom, off on their honeymoon!  As we're dithering about what to do and I'm polishing my spine, we hear them drive away. We knew that if we'd gone out there they would have invited themselves to supper and then Bride would have talked our ear off all night, bringing all conversation back to her.  Not that we would let them invite themselves to supper anymore(nice shiny spines), but we didn't want the confrontation either.

They left a huge flower bouquet from the wedding on our front doorstep, no water.  Seriously, the flowers were about four feet high. We don't have a vase big enough, and we have cats who would love to eat flowers and then get sick or need to go to the vet.  They left another bunch of flowers that had been in water, with a wet paper towel wrapped around them, in our *wooden* mailbox. Water and wood, not a good combo.  Luckily we got them out of there fairly quickly.

The Bride texted us to check our front step.  We texted her back to PLEASE let us know when they might be coming to visit us.  She replied that they were having a great time just traveling in the camper van without a schedule.  So I'm sure she'll end up ticking off the entire family even more on this spur of the moment honeymoon road trip.

darling

« Reply #22668 on: August 02, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »

I think that's really rude!

Maybe not quite "snowflake," but really rude.
They're busy, they're not a moving service.

The last time I moved apartments, my mom stopped two college aged guys who were also switching apartments and offered them $20 to help move my couch down the hall (it literally was the last thing we needed to move, and I had no idea she was doing it). I was somewhat shocked when I walked out of my new apartment to see two strangers moving my couch, but they were laughing the whole time. Beer money!

BarensMom

« Reply #22669 on: August 02, 2013, 11:19:52 AM »
Special Snowflake bride continues... they were married Saturday, which I posted about previously.  Yesterday after work we come in the back and look out front to see a camper van parked in our driveway. It's the bride and groom, off on their honeymoon!  As we're dithering about what to do and I'm polishing my spine, we hear them drive away. We knew that if we'd gone out there they would have invited themselves to supper and then Bride would have talked our ear off all night, bringing all conversation back to her.  Not that we would let them invite themselves to supper anymore(nice shiny spines), but we didn't want the confrontation either.

They left a huge flower bouquet from the wedding on our front doorstep, no water.  Seriously, the flowers were about four feet high. We don't have a vase big enough, and we have cats who would love to eat flowers and then get sick or need to go to the vet.  They left another bunch of flowers that had been in water, with a wet paper towel wrapped around them, in our *wooden* mailbox. Water and wood, not a good combo.  Luckily we got them out of there fairly quickly.

The Bride texted us to check our front step.  We texted her back to PLEASE let us know when they might be coming to visit us.  She replied that they were having a great time just traveling in the camper van without a schedule.  So I'm sure she'll end up ticking off the entire family even more on this spur of the moment honeymoon road trip.

EMuir, I'll bet you a buck that the flowers were the "reimbursement" for the flip-flops and breakfast food.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #22670 on: August 02, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »

Spur of the moment honeymoon road trip in an RV (or camper van, whatever your taste) sounds like fun to me.

So does parking the RV in one of the many campgrounds available around the USA. Invading the property of my nearest and dearest, not so much.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

EMuir

« Reply #22671 on: August 02, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »

Spur of the moment honeymoon road trip in an RV (or camper van, whatever your taste) sounds like fun to me.

So does parking the RV in one of the many campgrounds available around the USA. Invading the property of my nearest and dearest, not so much.

Exactly.  Last I heard they were planning to do this camper van trip to see all the friends and family who couldn't make it to the wedding.  That is fine... but combining it with randomness?  Not so great.  The bride really does believe that she's so special that everyone will adore her and drop everything else for her.

One time we traveled two hours to the bride's parents' place as a day trip, just for her birthday dinner.  She showed up three hours late for her birthday dinner (about 9pm), and was surprised and offended to find we'd already eaten and were about to be on the road back home. She hadn't had any unexpected delays, she had just decided to take her time on the trip there and honestly believed the world revolved around her.

EMuir

« Reply #22672 on: August 02, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »

EMuir, I'll bet you a buck that the flowers were the "reimbursement" for the flip-flops and breakfast food.

I must give my partner credit for being wise.  I asked if she thought Bride would ever pay her back and she replied "I just decided to give that to her as part of her wedding gift."

I said "Did you tell her that? Did she thank you?"

My partner said "Yes, and no."

I'm not surprised.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #22673 on: August 02, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »
I'm waiting at the bus stop and there's two guys (painters I think) that have broken down on a main arterial road )sox lanes of traffic). It doesn't look as of they're moving or know they even need to move.

EMuir

« Reply #22674 on: August 02, 2013, 10:30:46 PM »

I must give my partner credit for being wise.  I asked if she thought Bride would ever pay her back and she replied "I just decided to give that to her as part of her wedding gift."

I said "Did you tell her that? Did she thank you?"

My partner said "Yes, and no."

I'm not surprised.

Hate to quote myself, but...

The actual interchange was:

Bride to my partner: "Will you accept reimbursement for the food and stuff you brought?"

My partner: "No." (After realizing it would probably be more stress to try and get money back)

So the bride set up the question to make it sound like my partner was expecting to just pay for it.

Pah, good thing we're done with her.

Waterlight

« Reply #22675 on: August 03, 2013, 05:55:27 AM »
I had a HUGE slice of lemon cake for my last birthday, actually... with coconut frosting!  *happily noms on virtual lemon cake*

Work SS from a couple of days ago:  Job candidate sends in her resume.  She looks good, so we call her for an interview.  She's from out of state, so we offer to do a Skype interview--which we've done, quite successfully, before.  She doesn't have Skype, so she suggests an in-person interview... OK, none of this is SS, so far...

But THEN she insists on being PAID for the interview!  Um, not happening.  My employer is a mom-and-pop company, not a Fortune 500 company with the budget to pay interviewees' travel expenses.

*arranges a close encounter with a cross-cut shredder for the SS's resume*

I had a request for a Skype interview once...I don't do Skype, either. But I was scrambling to create an account and find someone who could teach me Skype, and borrow a webcam. I mean, why announce to your potential employer that you lack the ability to learn new skills?

Or, for that matter, why announce to your potential employer that you're an entitled gimmepig?   ::) 
ďThe best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.Ē--Ralph Waldo Emerson

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #22676 on: August 03, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »
From Customers Suck. A bit of language. It's a Public Library, so if you aren't using that laptop I should be able to just grab it and use it. It's your property, you say? Shrug. Back to the Internet.

And when the owner shut down the laptop, she became enraged--it's a public library. How DARE you deny me the internet! She wasn't thrilled with the response of the librarian, either.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Adelaide

« Reply #22677 on: August 04, 2013, 02:10:10 PM »
Today I called a cab from my local airport to go pick up my delayed luggage. (A mistake between myself and the airline; they're supposed to deliver it, but we resolved it later.) The cab rolled up and got me, then a foreign man driving a car in the opposite direction rolled down his windows and asked how to get around some roadwork. Not only did the taxi driver stop, he put the cab in park and proceeded to talk to the man asking for directions for a good two or three minutes. At one point my driver was making sure that the man knew how to pronounce the names of the streets correctly. I was sitting in the back trying to think of some way to get the cab driver to shut up and take me to the airport but he eventually stopped talking and continued driving. It's a good thing I didn't have a flight to catch!

Miss March

« Reply #22678 on: August 04, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »
Please tell me that the meter wasn't running during those several minutes that the taxi was parked and he was talking to the man.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22679 on: August 04, 2013, 05:05:51 PM »
I'm waiting at the bus stop and there's two guys (painters I think) that have broken down on a main arterial road )sox lanes of traffic). It doesn't look as of they're moving or know they even need to move.

I don't know that this is special snowflakey . It can be pretty dangerous to push a car in 6 lanes of traffic to the side of the road, I don't think waiting for the police , tow truck or even a good seminarian to hold cars from trying to pass around them via the they're moving into is snowflakely.  Some break down can make it impossible to push a car , if the wheels wont turn the car just wont move.  I would assume people in painters whites cover in paint were painters and capible of pushing a car/truck but its not necessarily so.