Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5058570 times)

Shalamar

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22680 on: August 04, 2013, 06:46:31 PM »
Adelaide's taxi driver story reminds me of the people who will get partly on an elevator and hold the door open while they continue chatting to someone who ISN'T getting on the elevator.   Meanwhile, everyone else on the elevator has to wait until he/she finishes her conversation.   Drives me batty!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #22681 on: August 04, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »
I'm waiting at the bus stop and there's two guys (painters I think) that have broken down on a main arterial road )sox lanes of traffic). It doesn't look as of they're moving or know they even need to move.

I don't know that this is special snowflakey . It can be pretty dangerous to push a car in 6 lanes of traffic to the side of the road, I don't think waiting for the police , tow truck or even a good seminarian to hold cars from trying to pass around them via the they're moving into is snowflakely.  Some break down can make it impossible to push a car , if the wheels wont turn the car just wont move.  I would assume people in painters whites cover in paint were painters and capible of pushing a car/truck but its not necessarily so.

The thing that annoyed me about it was they were on the side of a hill and hard to see. Soneme could habe hot them. They could have rolled the car down the hill and into the petrol station that was at the bottom.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22682 on: August 04, 2013, 08:53:24 PM »
I'm waiting at the bus stop and there's two guys (painters I think) that have broken down on a main arterial road )sox lanes of traffic). It doesn't look as of they're moving or know they even need to move.

I don't know that this is special snowflakey . It can be pretty dangerous to push a car in 6 lanes of traffic to the side of the road, I don't think waiting for the police , tow truck or even a good seminarian to hold cars from trying to pass around them via the they're moving into is snowflakely.  Some break down can make it impossible to push a car , if the wheels wont turn the car just wont move.  I would assume people in painters whites cover in paint were painters and capible of pushing a car/truck but its not necessarily so.

The thing that annoyed me about it was they were on the side of a hill and hard to see. Soneme could habe hot them. They could have rolled the car down the hill and into the petrol station that was at the bottom.
Maybe, maybe not.  If your engine has died, so has your power steering.  If you can't turn the wheel, you can't roll into the petrol station, just down the hill.  It seems to me that they were safest right where they were, waiting for a tow truck.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #22683 on: August 04, 2013, 08:54:24 PM »

Not if their brakes went bad or they broke an axle they couldn't.

Jocelyn

« Reply #22684 on: August 04, 2013, 09:40:47 PM »

Not if their brakes went bad or they broke an axle they couldn't.
Or if the drive shaft has fallen out of the vehicle. Happened once to me- I stopped at a stoplight, and heard an amazing thud from under my seat. Lots of people behind me felt the need to lay on their horns when the light changed- apparently putting on the hazard lights wasn't enough to signal to them that the car was disabled.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22685 on: August 04, 2013, 09:48:13 PM »

Hard to see the car =hard see to a person pushing the car.  Hitting the car would have been bad hitting a person pushing the car most likely would have been tragic.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #22686 on: August 05, 2013, 05:29:07 AM »
I just remembered two from a few weeks ago. As a bit of background, I own a Wii. I bought this with my own money. I bought most of the games myself.

Aunt was over and talking with mom. I came out to socialize.

"Do you ever play games on that Wii?"

"No," I said. (I hardly do play games on it)

"You should give it to me for the grand baby."

I looked at her as though she had two heads. "No, I use it for netflix."

Not to mention I you know, bought it and own it and do not have to give it to you because her mother can't afford one.

Second story:

My mom and I were talking about a dance pad I have in the garage, that because my PS2 is in storage I never use.

"You should give that to Aunt's Grand baby," she says.

"Nope."

What is it with these people wanting to give away or take MY stuff?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #22687 on: August 05, 2013, 06:50:57 AM »
Not to mention, what would a baby do with a PS2?

(Granted, Bittybartfast can now turn on her own TV shows on the Wii - at 13 months - but that's mostly because she loves to steal the Wiimote and push buttons.  So far she's turned on Jaws 2, Breaking Bad, and My Little Pony.  I kinda doubt she'd get much use out of the Wii if it weren't already on Netflix all the time . . . yeah, that's just about all we use it for nowadays too!)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #22688 on: August 05, 2013, 06:55:50 AM »

(Granted, Bittybartfast can now turn on her own TV shows on the Wii - at 13 months - but that's mostly because she loves to steal the Wiimote and push buttons.  So far she's turned on Jaws 2, Breaking Bad, and My Little Pony.  I kinda doubt she'd get much use out of the Wii if it weren't already on Netflix all the time . . . yeah, that's just about all we use it for nowadays too!)

Forgot to mention "Grandbaby" is nearly eleven. Her Wii died on her.

bloo

« Reply #22689 on: August 05, 2013, 10:38:14 AM »

Forgot to mention "Grandbaby" is nearly eleven. Her Wii died on her.

And thus the difference between a special snowflake and an unentitled person.

See if your mom or aunt had offered to purchase the items for your niece, you might've considered gifting it to her or giving her a ridiculously good deal. Or not. Nothing wrong with saying 'no' to those requests. But you might've been moved to say a form of yes if they weren't somewhat entitled.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22690 on: August 05, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »
Adelaide wrote:

"I was sitting in the back trying to think of some way to get the cab driver to shut up and take me to the airport but he eventually stopped talking and continued driving. It's a good thing I didn't have a flight to catch!"

The way to get the cab driver to shut up and drive is to get out of the cab and refuse to pay him.  He'll either realize what he's doing and get you there or you can go inside and call the cab company to send you a driver who will actually take you where you want to go, and you'll be stunned how fast the dispatcher will rip him up if he doesn't get outright fired.

Virg

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #22691 on: August 05, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »
Adelaide's taxi driver story reminds me of the people who will get partly on an elevator and hold the door open while they continue chatting to someone who ISN'T getting on the elevator.   Meanwhile, everyone else on the elevator has to wait until he/she finishes her conversation.   Drives me batty!

I encountered someone in a revolving door the other day who started to leave the store but then turned around to chat with someone inside while still inside the door.  No one could get in or out until he decided he was done talking (and the chorus of "excuse me please" fell on deaf ears.)

This is a ways back but the Crazy Rhubarb Lady exchange reminds me of some I had with...um...ladies who provided a certain service for money in my back yard.  Apparently, they had EVERY RIGHT to conduct business there and would only move along when I started to dial the police.  I am so happy we have a fence now.

Cherry91

« Reply #22692 on: August 05, 2013, 11:52:58 AM »

I encountered someone in a revolving door the other day who started to leave the store but then turned around to chat with someone inside while still inside the door.  No one could get in or out until he decided he was done talking (and the chorus of "excuse me please" fell on deaf ears.)

This is a ways back but the Crazy Rhubarb Lady exchange reminds me of some I had with...um...ladies who provided a certain service for money in my back yard.  Apparently, they had EVERY RIGHT to conduct business there and would only move along when I started to dial the police.  I am so happy we have a fence now.

You should have put up a "No solicitation" sign in the area they were hanging around in  ;D

LibraryLady

« Reply #22693 on: August 05, 2013, 11:59:30 AM »
Or decide to water your yard with the hand held hose   >:D

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #22694 on: August 05, 2013, 12:04:25 PM »

That happened to me, too!