Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5236748 times)

CrazyDaffodilLady

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #22905 on: August 16, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »
I was riding with a coworker who opened the car window and tossed out his fast food wrappers. Stunned, I said, "You just threw a bunch of trash on the highway :o".  He replied, "What was I supposed to do -- leave it in my car?"
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Shalamar

« Reply #22906 on: August 16, 2013, 05:36:38 PM »
WOW, CrazyDaffodilLady.  What a prize!

I often want to snarl at drivers whom I see tapping their cigarette ash out of their cars' windows.  I feel like saying "You don't want it in your car?  I don't want it on my road."  And don't get me started about people who just toss their cigarette butts onto the ground.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #22907 on: August 16, 2013, 05:42:17 PM »
My ex-mother in law was a slightly nervous flyer.  When my ex graduated college she took him on a tour of the far East, and the visited Hong Kong, flying into the old airport, the one in the centre of the city that you had to dodge tower blocks to fly into.  She said as they were on final approach, she looked out of the window, into an apartment block window, and saw someone doing their ironing.  This was not made any easier by the news that the best pilots got to choose their routes, and never chose Hong Kong as it was so tricky.  So the trickiest landing was being done by the worst pilots!

It's too late to matter, but it's not true that the trickiest landing was done by the worst pilots. The airlines were pretty careful to make sure that only skilled pilots flew in and out of Kai-tak (the old Hong Kong airport); the most senior on some airlines might get to go elsewhere, but the airlines don't want crashes either. Even if they had no humanitarian or publicity concerns, airplanes are expensive.

I am glad I got to fly in and out of Kai-tak once (a year before it closed), but that was definitely a "you will love it or hate it" approach.

I'd heard (strictly second-hand) that the old Hong Kong airport in fact had an excellent safety record. It was notorious as a horror to fly into and out of, so pilots doing so, were extremely careful and attentive...

Browyn

« Reply #22908 on: August 16, 2013, 05:42:51 PM »
What we call the 'Stroller Wars' have been going on in our neighborhood for years. 

There are lots and lots of children here. 

Most of the businesses are in 19th and early 20th century buildings.  Retail spaces and restaurants are not large. 

Many families favor the style of stroller that can be described as 'Baby's First Hummer'.  There simply isn't room for them in many places. 

If you live in the suburbs, you can drive your car to a restaurant and carry baby in.
If you live in the city, you use your stroller and walk/subway/bus to where you are going.  Then what do you do with the stroller once you get there?  I would hope you could fold it up and stow it out of the way.
[/b]

And that is the reason I always had one of those umbrella style strollers that can be folded up really small in addition to a larger more roomy one. I do think it is SS to assume that every place you go to can accomodate your desire to have a massive sized stroller.

I had two strollers, the big one with the large wheels which was great for outdoor events (we do renaissance faires) that could handle gravel, tree roots, uneven terrain.  Then I had the umbrella one for things like the mall.

CuriousParty

« Reply #22909 on: August 16, 2013, 05:49:15 PM »
We visited the Georgia aquarium a few times, and there are certain exhibits that can't have strollers in them because of the way the floors and exhibits are. I have witnessed more than a few SS parents throwing tantrums when they try to bring large strollers in anyway.
Sigh. Our local aquarium doesn't allow strollers inside at all, and while I understand their reasoning to some extent (crowds, moving sidewalks, etc) it does make the whole experience much less friendly for a family with small kids. It's huge, there's a lot of walking, and even my three year old is in some danger of being stepped on essentially all the time.  We still go, but we can't go without at least two adults, only in very early hours, and are constantly juggling both the 25-pound turkey that masquerades as our son, plus the bag o' prepared-ness. I wish there were a more balanced solution.

There is. Cultural Institutions like that should be providing sturdy Umbrella type strollers that never see out doors and/or having times that are billed as stroller friendly, so that folks who need them know that they can have access and folks who don't want to risk it can stay away...they can balance it by having adult only times that are not  fundraisers. 
 But under no circumstances should a cultural institution be making it significantly less ( or more) accessible for one particular demographic.
Thanks Snowdragon, I hadn't thought of some of those but I really think something like "stroller-friendly" hours is a reasonable compromise.  Your post prompted me to send feedback to the aquarium (it's actually the National Aquarium in Baltimore that Piratelvr1121 mentioned).  The most annoying thing is that they have a whole thing on their FAQs about how they "understand" strollers are important to families but, well, it's just such as SAFETY issue because of the building's layout.

And then right underneath that a paragraph about how the Washington location (the two are affiliated) does allow strollers!

Um.  The Baltimore venue was renovated much more recently than the Washington location, so if layout was SUCH an issue why wasn't it rectified then, plus if it's a safety concern then it's a safety concern in DC, too, right?

Urgh.

MrTango

« Reply #22910 on: August 16, 2013, 06:11:02 PM »
I'd heard (strictly second-hand) that the old Hong Kong airport in fact had an excellent safety record. It was notorious as a horror to fly into and out of, so pilots doing so, were extremely careful and attentive...

Especially the old "Checkerboard Approach"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #22911 on: August 16, 2013, 06:27:20 PM »

Sounds like the phenomenon where they take away the traffic lights and excessive highway signs, making a particular route seem more scary and dangerous.  Drivers are then more careful because they consider the route a dangerous one, without proper signage or traffic lights to tell them when they can go, and then you end up with fewer accidents overall because everybody is being so careful.  Heh.

I can see both sides of the stroller debate, too.  I've barely used the stroller since I had my third child (Ergo all the way), but my 10-month-old is both heavy and doesn't like being confined in the Ergo much anymore (she's always pinching my neck, if she's in the front, or pulling my hair if she's in the back).  And I also have a 3-year-old who gets tired quickly.  It can be very physically exhausting to transport them around.  Somehow it usually ends up working, but there are times a stroller would be really nice, if it wasn't too much work to dig out the stroller and clean it out because it's been too long since I last used it.  But strollers definitely take a lot of work to negotiate through crowds, and they take up a lot of room.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #22912 on: August 16, 2013, 06:45:34 PM »

I often want to snarl at drivers whom I see tapping their cigarette ash out of their cars' windows.  I feel like saying "You don't want it in your car?  I don't want it on my road."  And don't get me started about people who just toss their cigarette butts onto the ground.

Try being a motorcyclist when people chuck rubbish/cigarette butts out their cars  >:(

CuriousParty

« Reply #22913 on: August 16, 2013, 07:27:07 PM »

Sounds like the phenomenon where they take away the traffic lights and excessive highway signs, making a particular route seem more scary and dangerous.  Drivers are then more careful because they consider the route a dangerous one, without proper signage or traffic lights to tell them when they can go, and then you end up with fewer accidents overall because everybody is being so careful.  Heh.

I can see both sides of the stroller debate, too.  I've barely used the stroller since I had my third child (Ergo all the way), but my 10-month-old is both heavy and doesn't like being confined in the Ergo much anymore (she's always pinching my neck, if she's in the front, or pulling my hair if she's in the back).  And I also have a 3-year-old who gets tired quickly.  It can be very physically exhausting to transport them around.  Somehow it usually ends up working, but there are times a stroller would be really nice, if it wasn't too much work to dig out the stroller and clean it out because it's been too long since I last used it.  But strollers definitely take a lot of work to negotiate through crowds, and they take up a lot of room.

I can see both sides too, which is why I was just resigned, but I thought some of Snowdragon's ideas were really good, different solutions so that's why I wrote in. I regret to report, though, that now the NA has ticked me off. They replied with a completely canned email that was intended to look personal. Few things annoy me more. The first paragraph apologized for my "negative experience during my recent visit" - which I didn't describe or report (I said that I was offering general feedback") then three paragraphs lifted directly from the FAQs page. And not quoted, mind youa, as in "As you may have seen on our FAQs page, the reasons for our policy are..." but presented as though this was fresh writing directly to me (the FAQs page has that false friendly tone that I also find aggravating).  Then a final paragraph apologizing again for my negative visit and telling me all comments are "taken to heart."

Given that the canned, cut and paste reply appeared in my inbox within 30 minutes, I find it unlikely that my comments were taken to heart. I'd have respected them more if they just said "This is our policy, sorry it doesn't work for you, hope you can come back when our services better meet your family's needs."  At least that would be honest.

Oh well.  Looks like a Science Center membership next year. Or maybe the zoo...hmmm...
;)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22914 on: August 16, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »
What we call the 'Stroller Wars' have been going on in our neighborhood for years. 

There are lots and lots of children here. 

Most of the businesses are in 19th and early 20th century buildings.  Retail spaces and restaurants are not large. 

Many families favor the style of stroller that can be described as 'Baby's First Hummer'.  There simply isn't room for them in many places. 

If you live in the suburbs, you can drive your car to a restaurant and carry baby in.
If you live in the city, you use your stroller and walk/subway/bus to where you are going.  Then what do you do with the stroller once you get there?  I would hope you could fold it up and stow it out of the way.

And that is the reason I always had one of those umbrella style strollers that can be folded up really small in addition to a larger more roomy one. I do think it is SS to assume that every place you go to can accomodate your desire to have a massive sized stroller.

I had two strollers, the big one with the large wheels which was great for outdoor events (we do renaissance faires) that could handle gravel, tree roots, uneven terrain.  Then I had the umbrella one for things like the mall.
I had an umbrella stroller, and I loved it.  I could take the baby  out, hold her on one hip, and fold it in a matter of seconds.  MIL, for some reason, didn't like it. "But don't you want a REAL stroller?"  Nope. And I demonstrated why.  "Can't do that one-handed with a REAL stroller."

Only problem I had with it was in crowds in Italy; people would see what looked like an empty space in front of me and try to shove into it, without looking down to see the baby in the stroller. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

snowdragon

« Reply #22915 on: August 16, 2013, 08:05:20 PM »

I can see both sides too, which is why I was just resigned, but I thought some of Snowdragon's ideas were really good, different solutions so that's why I wrote in. I regret to report, though, that now the NA has ticked me off. They replied with a completely canned email that was intended to look personal. Few things annoy me more. The first paragraph apologized for my "negative experience during my recent visit" - which I didn't describe or report (I said that I was offering general feedback") then three paragraphs lifted directly from the FAQs page. And not quoted, mind youa, as in "As you may have seen on our FAQs page, the reasons for our policy are..." but presented as though this was fresh writing directly to me (the FAQs page has that false friendly tone that I also find aggravating).  Then a final paragraph apologizing again for my negative visit and telling me all comments are "taken to heart."

Given that the canned, cut and paste reply appeared in my inbox within 30 minutes, I find it unlikely that my comments were taken to heart. I'd have respected them more if they just said "This is our policy, sorry it doesn't work for you, hope you can come back when our services better meet your family's needs."  At least that would be honest.

Oh well.  Looks like a Science Center membership next year. Or maybe the zoo...hmmm...
;)

Mind if I email them? As a museum studies person, this type of stuff bugs the heck out of me.

CuriousParty

« Reply #22916 on: August 16, 2013, 08:23:59 PM »

;)

Mind if I email them? As a museum studies person, this type of stuff bugs the heck out of me.

Not at all, but perhaps wait a little. I may have replied to the canned email with an icily polite version of my post. Two such emails in one week and next thing you know well be in the front page as a "boycott" ;)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #22917 on: August 16, 2013, 10:58:09 PM »
That "more signs make people less attentive/cautious" has been in effect with the new 4 way stop near the elem school.  It was a 2 way, and never saw a problem, but once the two additional stop signs were added, I have seen every which a way of bad pedestrians! 

Not just jay-walking, but crossing in the middle of the intersection, straight across!  Or on-between cars, or wearing all black at 6am (the cars will stop, right?)

I as a driver am more cautious now to watch out for the idiots who assume every single driver will notice the new signs and obey them!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

delabela

« Reply #22918 on: August 17, 2013, 12:48:34 AM »

Try being a motorcyclist when people chuck rubbish/cigarette butts out their cars  >:(

I feel silly, but I've never thought of that (not that I ever throw things out of my car).  I hate hate hate seeing people toss stuff from a litter prevention standpoint, but that's terrible to think of the safety issue for motorcyclists!  I'm incensed on your/their behalf.

Rohanna

« Reply #22919 on: August 17, 2013, 01:53:08 AM »
Good thing I know now never to go to that aquarium on my travels until kiddos are older! I can't carry baby/toddler for any length of time, even in a carrier- with a bad shoulder and elbow from a break that never healed properly combined with an auto-iummune disease, carrying kiddos is not in the cards for me.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.